Previous   Next

What superstitions or rituals do you have for Kansas University games?

Asked at Massachusetts Street and on KU campus on November 15, 2007

Browse the archives

“I make sure my son always has his Jayhawk jersey on. My son was born the day of a KU basketball game.”

“My friend and I wear matching tube socks - one red, one blue.”

“Every game day since I was a freshman I wear the same snap-on black Adidas pants I’ve had since seventh grade and a J.R. Giddens jersey.”

“Every March I teach my students how to fill out a Big 12 bracket as a practical life skill in a college town.”

Comments

H_Lecter 7 years, 1 month ago

I usually start off game days with a shower.

I believe whole-heartedly in the advice of snap_pop_no_crackle, who wisely said, "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning..." I overheard at a recent tailgate that a Tequila & Tabasco colonic can really help you get find your game face..let me know if it works

igby 7 years, 1 month ago

Everytime I watch a game they lose, so I listen instead hoping they will win.

holyjim 7 years, 1 month ago

H_Lecter: The treatment doesn't work. Makes the day interesting, though. Rituals? I just hope that living here in New England I can even see a game on TV. I'll be at Boston College wearing red and blue on January 5th!

enochville 7 years, 1 month ago

My wife and I will listen to the game together on 105.9, regardless of whether we are also watching it on tv or not. We just like the radio announcers better than the tv ones.

My blog - http://entreated.blogspot.com

deskboy04 7 years, 1 month ago

I always hit up one of the quality buffets in town on the days on football games.

dminear60 7 years, 1 month ago

igby: No offense intended, but do all the Jayhawk fans a favor and don't break the streak!

Linda Aikins 7 years, 1 month ago

4th grade, I'm hoping you are being sarcastic. If you are, that's a great post. If not, wow. I don't know what to say.

800 588 2300. Empire!

Snap - the new Confucious. (sp?)

Topside 7 years, 1 month ago

Andini is wrong or at least his quote is. It should say nobody likes to "PRACTICE" football. Playing and tackling other people is fun. Nothing feels better than putting the other guy on his A__.

trinity 7 years, 1 month ago

i have to have on Jayhawk attire. t-shirt, sweatshirt, it don't matter as long as i'm sportin' HAWK style! :) plus i hug my Jayhawk cooshie pillow! :)

Kyle Neuer 7 years, 1 month ago

It starts with sacrificing an Antler on the altar in the backyard the night before the game..

mom_of_three 7 years, 1 month ago

Superstitions - you have come to the right person. I wear a KU shirt for game days. If they win, I try to wear the same shirts for each game, but if they lose, I don't wear it on game days. and last season, I even sat on the same spot of the couch at the end of the season(because they won both Texas games) .
I don't watch games quietly, either, but who does. Since I am unable to afford tickets to the games, then I yell, cheer and shout as if I am there. (and have done so since April, 1988)

Flap Doodle 7 years, 1 month ago

Gosh, Nick, that's much more lyrical than "Homelss people are also good straw men for bank accouts but take them to a bank far away from the alley in which they live as they will soon foget where you have taken them and do not leave them with any banking info. You then extract the money from the account using an ATM card and the money is NOT traceable to you! Heh, heh. Did I say that? __he walks again by night."

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

My ritual is to avoid Lawrence on a home-game day...unless I have a ticket. If I have the rare ticket, my ritual is to go to park in this nice little ol' man's driveway just off of campus, knock on his door, and sweetly ask if it's OK to park there. Such a sweetie...he never says no. (And I'm not telling which house!) You can't make me! Mine, mine, all mine! muhahahahaha! :P

sgtwolverine 7 years, 1 month ago

For KU games? Absolutely none.

For Michigan games? Well, if I'm going, I always wear my helmet.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 1 month ago

missmagoo, then I must be one too. I totally get what Matt's saying.

I will never understand why people have to be nasty to others. Can't we just all get along???

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

sgt, what do you wear to your Chelsea games???
p.s. where's that pic?

sgtwolverine 7 years, 1 month ago

Sue, I do need to get you a picture of me in the hat; unfortunately, I didn't have a good chance to wear it to a football game this year. The one actual cold game we had also happened to be very rainy (http://www.burrillstrong.com/wordpress/photos/football2007/eastlansing04.jpg), so unfortunately, I couldn't utilize the hat. But I will use it this winter, and I will get you a picture.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

sgt, see, that's the difference between Mich and Ks..In Ks, we would have declared it cold enough already! We don't have that anti-freeze running through our veins.
p.s. The hat can get wet! I suggest you wear it in the shower...just to try it out... :) :) :)

sgtwolverine 7 years, 1 month ago

I actually thought the 02 November game was going to be cold, but I ended up taking off a layer because I was getting too warm. Had we won last week, we would have had a nice frigid game this week (as evidenced by the rain/snow mix falling right now) ... but we lost.

And I figured it could get wet, but it seems like it would be good at retaining water, and I wasn't sure I wanted a soaking wet hat on my head. But assuming we actually get winter weather this year, I will be sure to wear it out on the ski slopes! (Last year it wasn't anywhere near cold enough to ski until Christmas, and even then there wasn't much skiing to be had because the ski hills were still struggling to make snow. It was kind of pathetic. I tried to return the winter season, but I couldn't find the receipt, so I just had to suffer through it.)

matahari 7 years, 1 month ago

I don't drive until the game starts then I run all my errands, for obviious reasons~

BigPrune 7 years, 1 month ago

I refuse to change my underwear until my team loses. Febreeze helps.

coolmarv 7 years, 1 month ago

I wave the magic wand (remote) and then sit back and enjoy.

KU has never lost a home basketball game that I have been to.(maybe 20). You would think KU would realize what a good luck charm I am and give me season tickets.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

sgt, don't you think wearing the hat in the shower would make a great photo op? Maybe you can throw some snow in the tub? Experiment with lighting? (Just trying to be helpful.) I'm seeing more award winning photos in your future! ;)

Crossfire 7 years, 1 month ago

I stick a hypodermic needle in my Big Head Barry Bonds Bobble Head Doll.

missmagoo 7 years, 1 month ago

"Every game day since I was a freshman I wear the same snap-on black Adidas pants I've had since seventh grade and a J.R. Giddens jersey."

friggin idiot.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 1 month ago

Sue, that would depend on who was wearing the hat.