Previous   Next

What superstitions or rituals do you have for Kansas University games?

Asked at Massachusetts Street and on KU campus on November 15, 2007

Browse the archives

“I make sure my son always has his Jayhawk jersey on. My son was born the day of a KU basketball game.”

“My friend and I wear matching tube socks - one red, one blue.”

“Every game day since I was a freshman I wear the same snap-on black Adidas pants I’ve had since seventh grade and a J.R. Giddens jersey.”

“Every March I teach my students how to fill out a Big 12 bracket as a practical life skill in a college town.”

Comments

thebcman 6 years, 5 months ago

I get pictures of former AD Al Bohl and burn them before every game.

Gootsie 6 years, 5 months ago

missmagoo, then I must be one too. I totally get what Matt's saying.

I will never understand why people have to be nasty to others. Can't we just all get along???

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 5 months ago

I call Lance and Charles and Bobby just like all my good friends from so long ago and we sip Coronas and Have a TV party just like Black Flag sings about.

We spend halftime reminescing about how to get those kids from the olden days.

I am too busy getting drunk to make sure my socks don't match or any old jockstraps I have to wear to suspend the superstitions.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

Sue, that would depend on who was wearing the hat.

missmagoo 6 years, 5 months ago

"Every game day since I was a freshman I wear the same snap-on black Adidas pants I've had since seventh grade and a J.R. Giddens jersey."

friggin idiot.

Crossfire 6 years, 5 months ago

I stick a hypodermic needle in my Big Head Barry Bonds Bobble Head Doll.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

sgt, don't you think wearing the hat in the shower would make a great photo op? Maybe you can throw some snow in the tub? Experiment with lighting? (Just trying to be helpful.) I'm seeing more award winning photos in your future! ;)

coolmarv 6 years, 5 months ago

I wave the magic wand (remote) and then sit back and enjoy.

KU has never lost a home basketball game that I have been to.(maybe 20). You would think KU would realize what a good luck charm I am and give me season tickets.

BigPrune 6 years, 5 months ago

I refuse to change my underwear until my team loses. Febreeze helps.

DotsLines 6 years, 5 months ago

mom_of_three (Anonymous) says:

"I wear a KU shirt for game days. If they win, I try to wear the same shirts for each game, but if they lose, I don't wear it on game days."

Gee, they'd better lose soon so you can wash that shirt! ;P

matahari 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't drive until the game starts then I run all my errands, for obviious reasons~

prospector 6 years, 5 months ago

Voodoo with my crimson and blue hat pins.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

I actually thought the 02 November game was going to be cold, but I ended up taking off a layer because I was getting too warm. Had we won last week, we would have had a nice frigid game this week (as evidenced by the rain/snow mix falling right now) ... but we lost.

And I figured it could get wet, but it seems like it would be good at retaining water, and I wasn't sure I wanted a soaking wet hat on my head. But assuming we actually get winter weather this year, I will be sure to wear it out on the ski slopes! (Last year it wasn't anywhere near cold enough to ski until Christmas, and even then there wasn't much skiing to be had because the ski hills were still struggling to make snow. It was kind of pathetic. I tried to return the winter season, but I couldn't find the receipt, so I just had to suffer through it.)

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

sgt, see, that's the difference between Mich and Ks..In Ks, we would have declared it cold enough already! We don't have that anti-freeze running through our veins.
p.s. The hat can get wet! I suggest you wear it in the shower...just to try it out... :) :) :)

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

Sue, I do need to get you a picture of me in the hat; unfortunately, I didn't have a good chance to wear it to a football game this year. The one actual cold game we had also happened to be very rainy (http://www.burrillstrong.com/wordpress/photos/football2007/eastlansing04.jpg), so unfortunately, I couldn't utilize the hat. But I will use it this winter, and I will get you a picture.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

sgt, what do you wear to your Chelsea games???
p.s. where's that pic?

BrianR 6 years, 5 months ago

It's bad luck to be superstitious.

bobberboy 6 years, 5 months ago

I usually stand on my head and pee upwards.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

For KU games? Absolutely none.

For Michigan games? Well, if I'm going, I always wear my helmet.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

My ritual is to avoid Lawrence on a home-game day...unless I have a ticket. If I have the rare ticket, my ritual is to go to park in this nice little ol' man's driveway just off of campus, knock on his door, and sweetly ask if it's OK to park there. Such a sweetie...he never says no. (And I'm not telling which house!) You can't make me! Mine, mine, all mine! muhahahahaha! :P

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

Gosh, Nick, that's much more lyrical than "Homelss people are also good straw men for bank accouts but take them to a bank far away from the alley in which they live as they will soon foget where you have taken them and do not leave them with any banking info. You then extract the money from the account using an ATM card and the money is NOT traceable to you! Heh, heh. Did I say that? __he walks again by night."

mom_of_three 6 years, 5 months ago

Superstitions - you have come to the right person. I wear a KU shirt for game days. If they win, I try to wear the same shirts for each game, but if they lose, I don't wear it on game days. and last season, I even sat on the same spot of the couch at the end of the season(because they won both Texas games) .
I don't watch games quietly, either, but who does. Since I am unable to afford tickets to the games, then I yell, cheer and shout as if I am there. (and have done so since April, 1988)

Kyle Neuer 6 years, 5 months ago

It starts with sacrificing an Antler on the altar in the backyard the night before the game..

Marion Lynn 6 years, 5 months ago

Vague and softly whispered rumours speak of sacrifices of certain frog and bird species deep in the "wetlands", accompianied by the sounds of myriad opening beer cans along with ghostly notes of the Rock Chalk chant.

Not mentioned in the rumours are the sacrifice of virgins; what with those being in very short supply if of proper age, the burning in effigy of the Missouri coach or the direction of the Evil Eye towards the East.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't believe in rituals or superstitions. I do believe in ice cold domestic beer for warmer weather games and hand crafted ales for cooler weather games. And if a bottle of something is passed around, all the better.

trinity 6 years, 5 months ago

i have to have on Jayhawk attire. t-shirt, sweatshirt, it don't matter as long as i'm sportin' HAWK style! :) plus i hug my Jayhawk cooshie pillow! :)

Topside 6 years, 5 months ago

Andini is wrong or at least his quote is. It should say nobody likes to "PRACTICE" football. Playing and tackling other people is fun. Nothing feels better than putting the other guy on his A__.

Gootsie 6 years, 5 months ago

4th grade, I'm hoping you are being sarcastic. If you are, that's a great post. If not, wow. I don't know what to say.

800 588 2300. Empire!

Snap - the new Confucious. (sp?)

dminear60 6 years, 5 months ago

igby: No offense intended, but do all the Jayhawk fans a favor and don't break the streak!

Andini 6 years, 5 months ago

Nobody likes to play football. Nobody. The other players hurt you, sometimes very badly. First you play because your father wants you to. Then you play to get the girls. If you keep on playing, you do it for scholarships, and to get the girls. Then you play for the money and the girls. Then you get to just watch the games, and that's fun. But nobody likes to play football. Nobody.

Ben H. Barteldes

4th_grade_education 6 years, 5 months ago

"I make sure my son always has his Jayhawk jersey on. My son was born the day of a KU basketball game."

Apparently child abuse is acceptable in regards to sporting events. Mr. Sowders is affecting his son's social construction of reality in a way that could have dire repercussions. This is one step down the road towards dictating what his kids should think and not letting them make up their own minds. Sickening.

deskboy04 6 years, 5 months ago

I always hit up one of the quality buffets in town on the days on football games.

enochville 6 years, 5 months ago

My wife and I will listen to the game together on 105.9, regardless of whether we are also watching it on tv or not. We just like the radio announcers better than the tv ones.

My blog - http://entreated.blogspot.com

holyjim 6 years, 5 months ago

H_Lecter: The treatment doesn't work. Makes the day interesting, though. Rituals? I just hope that living here in New England I can even see a game on TV. I'll be at Boston College wearing red and blue on January 5th!

blue73harley 6 years, 5 months ago

Well, for years I have worn purple. That seems to be causing more KU wins.

igby 6 years, 5 months ago

Everytime I watch a game they lose, so I listen instead hoping they will win.

H_Lecter 6 years, 5 months ago

I usually start off game days with a shower.

I believe whole-heartedly in the advice of snap_pop_no_crackle, who wisely said, "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning..." I overheard at a recent tailgate that a Tequila & Tabasco colonic can really help you get find your game face..let me know if it works