Previous   Next

Are you looking forward to having a warmer winter?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 12, 2007

Browse the archives

“I’m looking forward to not having the ice and bad driving conditions, but I’ll miss the snow because it’s part of Kansas in winter.”

“Yeah. There are still going to be those horribly cold days when you have to run in and out of everywhere, but as long as we get a few where you can go outside and enjoy yourself.”

“Yes. I’m thinking it will be a lot easier to get up in the morning if it’s not as cold.”

“I’m ecstatic. I’m definitely not a cold-weather person whatsoever, so I’m thrilled.”

Comments

jonas 7 years ago

Errr. . . is it official, now, that our winter is going to be warm? Did I miss this announcement or something?

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years ago

Wow. Welcome to the world...A simple place for simple people.

jonas 7 years ago

R-I: But he's right in one thing, we've got to stop Manbearpig. At whatever cost.

trinity 7 years ago

heck yeah a warmer winter sounds great to me! that way the lil' sportster won't have to sit in the shed all by her lonesome all winter long! :) many days for out&about little rides!

jonas 7 years ago

But you know, it makes something of a funny question in that regards, too.

Did you hear that the earth is going to warm up and the polar ice caps are going to melt, raising the sea level, covering many major cities in water? Millions to billions of refugees will flood the other areas, and life, in all sense of things, will truly start to suck.

How are you going to enjoy the warmer winters till that happens? Me, I'm gonna spend more time outside.

blessed3x 7 years ago

snap_pop_no_crackle (Anonymous) says:

"Oh, yes, it will be warmer, unless the global warming models need to be changed, in which case it will be colder. That's the way it worked with the hurricane forecasts."

Haven't you heard? It's now called "Global Climate Change". That way, any data that doesn't precisely match the "average" can be used to support their cause no matter anecdotal.

chemegirlie 7 years ago

I actually love cold winters...but I do hate higher heating bills.

lawrencemom 7 years ago

Blue73Harley - You make me laugh!

Linda Aikins 7 years ago

I love the cold and snow. I miss the winters when we were small. AL GORE (abbreviated list) Galore A Ogler Rage Lo Gear Lo Real Go Earl Go Ear Log Are Log La Ergo La Ogre La Gore Oar Gel Oar Leg

Alison Roberts 7 years ago

B3-- have you been out of town the last couple of years? Did you miss the ice storms? Yeah, we've had plenty of cold winters in the 6 years I have lived here.

ms_canada 7 years ago

Hey - does that apply to my part of the world too? So far this winter it has been lovely and warm, I am still able to take long walks with just a summer jacket on and no toque. Last week I was channel surfing and came across that old Kevin Costner movie Waterworld. Does Al Gore have anything to do with that? Dang him. Has he no conscience?

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

You all can have all the warmer winters you want, but I want no part of that here in Michigan. If it's not cold enough for me to ski, then the season is a waste.

ms_c, you might be able to sue the network that aired Waterworld. Maybe for pain and suffering or something.

snowWI 7 years ago

Do not believe what NOAA says. They base the winter forecast on a percentage odds scheme, and trends. I think it will be a COLDER than average winter. It is only a matter of time before the pattern completely flips around.

snowWI 7 years ago

If you want a real winter even when temperatures are above average the Upper Midwest fits the bill. The winters around here are MUCH warmer than they were in the past.

snowWI 7 years ago

right_thinker (Anonymous) says:

"You mean, a typical, long, gray, depressing, Kansas, just-enough-cold-and-precip-to-annoy-the-hell-out-of-you-for-six-months:.. winter? Yeah baby"

Kansas winters are a joke. You can not even enjoy winter sports most of the time because the temperatures do not stay below freezing for long periods of time. Minnesota winters are usually good for enjoying outdoor winter sports.

snowWI 7 years ago

b3 (Anonymous) says "Try moving about 500 miles north and than tell me that kansas has cold winters. This town is like the tropics in the winter."

Yes, Kansas winters are quite mild compared with the core Midwest states. The only issue is the occasional strong winds that make it feel colder sometimes.

someoneelse 7 years ago

suffice it to say, a harsh or mild winter is a matter of perspective.

i have an idea. extend daylight saving year round. that'll give us another hour of daylight to warm those cold winter days. on the other hand, if global warming has you worried, do away with dst. that should fix it.

disclaimer: not really my idea. i just think it's classic.

jonas 7 years ago

badger 7 years ago

I'll be enjoying a warmer winter.

Warmer than you all, anyway. Today, 83 and sunny in the People's Republic of Austin.

We're all excited about global warming here because if the topographical models are right, we'll be a couple hundred miles closer to the beach! We're a little bummed that we'll lose Padre and Galveston, but when Houston goes out Atlantis-style and Dallas is swallowed up by the Great Plains desertification, the Austin hippies are going to take over state government.

I fully envision a state where taxes can be paid in beer.

snowWI 7 years ago

The Midwest core does not seem the strong downsloping winds in the winter very much compared with the Central Plains. The downslope winds are caused by a lee trough which develops on the just east of the Rocky Mountains. The "chinook" winds can often cause temperatures to rise 30+ degrees or more even during the winter.

Jonathan Allison 7 years ago

I moved to Houston. So yeah, try moving 700 miles south if you want a warm winter. Truth is, last winter was miserable enough. I would probably kill myself if I had to live in Minnesota, but I'm really gonna miss that one or two snowfalls when we actually could go sledding and build snowmen and so on. Oh, and usually in Kansas there is at least a cold stretch long enough that the ponds will freeze with a foot or two of ice and you can very safely go ice skating, even in southeast Kansas where I grew up. So you who complain about no ice skating, maybe you don't own a pond... but you could give it a shot.

Linda Aikins 7 years ago

"jonas---"Try moving about 500 miles north and than tell me that kansas has cold winters. This town is like the tropics in the winter."

Oh yeah, well try moving 500 miles north from THERE and tell me that 500 miles north of here has cold winters!"

Jonas, you truly crack me up....

LJWJohn 7 years ago

More time to enjoy the great outdoors. I've lived in Kansas most of my life and I always get a little bumbed in the winter. I feel it's hard for me to get out and enjoy anything when it's cold. As fas as the weather, it is plenty cold enough here for me and I look forward to any chance of a mild winter. Greater chances that I will get out beyond what I have to. As for b3, you must have slept through the last half dozen winters here. My truck got iced over so bad a couple of years ago it took several days to get into it. Windchills below zero for a couple of days. Where were you?

Ceallach 7 years ago

LJStaff; This blog is identical to an accident on K-10: I only ask, give me the option of not looking:..

runner, you do realize that it is you who decides whether or not to look . . . right?

LJWJohn 7 years ago

RidgeRunner, I live in Kansas, drive K10 every day but, I do agree with Ceallach...If you don't like the show, change the channel! Funny how these things get started as a simple question asking our opinion and turn into attacks on each other. No wonder our world is in the shape it is in. It will be interesting to see what sort of slam you now have for me. P.S. I'm no Saint, but never claimed to be!

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

I am compelled to protest the misuse of the term "blog"; I don't think this is a blog, and I don't think anyone here could be considered a blogger simply by posting here. Even if this were a blog, calling us bloggers would be equivalent to referring to a caller on a radio show as a host of the show.

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

Sgt, aren't you the host of this show?

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

Well, snap, I'll be happy to answer that question, but I have to take a break first. Stay tuned!

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

I hope everything comes out all right.

GretchenJP 7 years ago

It is so NOT right to have a warm Winter. Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

What's Katie expecting north of the river this winter?

GretchenJP 7 years ago

The folks in California crack me up. Like you, Dots, I've gone out in what I would dub mildly chilly weather in only long sleeves... with those same conditions in CA, they're bundled up with 3 layers of clothing, 4 layers of socks, long underwear, 6 parkas, 3 scarves, snow boots... how cute are they?? Some people in some climates have no idea how cold it can get. And I include me in that group. I only know of Midwestern Winters and an occassional Minnesota Winter. I'm sure I would act like one of the Californian's if I were to migrate even further North. Brrrr!!!!

jumpin_catfish 7 years ago

psychologist/lawyer = Sue your pants and then tell how to feel about it

jumpin_catfish 7 years ago

Oops

psychologist/lawyer = Sue your pants off, sue your pants off and then tell how to feel about it

GretchenJP 7 years ago

Dots: Try living in Georgia for the Winter. Let's just say they all turn into Chicken Little at the first snowflake.

GretchenJP 7 years ago

Go read something else more thrilling then, faceit.

GretchenJP 7 years ago

They just can't HANDLE the Winter like us snowbunnies.

trollkiller 7 years ago

Now all the homeless people will be OK. Global warming ...a liberal plot all along.

acg 7 years ago

No, not at all. Actually, I'm looking forward to the kind of winter that freezes the snot inside your nose as soon as you step outdoors. I want to scrape ice off my windshield every morning for a half hour and if we could also have to deal with several feet of snow every time I have to leave the house, that would totally rock. I mean, winter here isn't the same if you don't have that adrenaline rush of almost slipping off the road every quarter mile or so. Oh, and if they could throw in some straight line winds that are about 20 below wind chill factor that would totally top it all off, IMO.

What a retarded question.

snowWI 7 years ago

acg, The wind chill readings are not below zero very often around here and the number of days with subzero lows are pretty much non-existant these days. Kansas winters are MUCH milder compared with the Upper Midwest.