Previous   Next

What do you think is the biggest drinking night for students?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 8, 2007

Browse the archives

“Thursday, unless it’s a game night. That’s when they have the best drink specials.”

“I would say Tuesday. Thursday nights are big, too, but the bars I go to have cheap drinks on Tuesday nights. I guess it just depends on where you like to go.”

“Thursday. I don’t go out as much on Fridays because I want to be active and play sports or study on Saturday, but I don’t have any classes until noon on Fridays.”

“Probably Thursday. I know a lot of the girls on my floor don’t have any classes on Friday, so why not start the weekend early?”

Comments

MyName 6 years, 5 months ago

Godot says:

Samantha needs to back off the Tuesday/Thursday drinking binges. Those dark circles and lines under the eyes are awfully pronounced for someone that young.

I think she's a doll Godot. And from what I remember, my classload always had way more effect on the amount of sleep I got than my social life. 15-18 hours of class a week => 6-7 hours of sleep a night and not much time for drinking. 12-15 hours => 7-8 hours of sleep and plenty of time for bar hopping.

And speaking as a townie who has to deal with noisy people walking home at around 2am, I'd say Thursday and Saturday Nights seem to be the biggest night for students.

trinity 6 years, 5 months ago

i think that's it, A_A! but ya know-sometimes the fog had already settled when i went there, so who knows, lol.

oh and py you made me reminisce, with the 20-something comment! sigh i remember those days, lol.

Pywacket 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey, A_A... I used to go to Gammons & Sgt Prestons. And I was stilleau poore at the time. I don't recall either venue being particularly muckimuck or expensive. Not that we 20-something girls ever had to buy many of our own drinks! ;-)

DotsLines 6 years, 5 months ago

What day is this again? [hic]

staff04 (Anonymous) says:

"I'm sure none of you EVER drank before you were 21:"

Guilty.

'Course, some of us grew up when and where the age was 18.

prospector 6 years, 5 months ago

R_I, all I can remember there were golf carts in the building attached to the north and a vacant/parking lot south. I don't recall what was in the buildings south of that. Remember, I was there on all you could drink night. I always seemed to get home with my watch and guns, but there could have been a pawn shop.

Azure_Attitude 6 years, 5 months ago

Are you thinking of The Hideout, Trinity? Van Vleck's? Well, that was on 6th street.

Then there was Gammon's and Sgt. Preston's for the nouveau riches

trinity 6 years, 5 months ago

ah and who can overlook johnny's? :) and what was that one darned place off of 6th, kinda opposite where the sanctuary was...grrr memory!

and there was also the playhouse, woowoo....

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

prospector, Wasn't there some pawn shop next door to it?

prospector 6 years, 5 months ago

TOB, the Stumble Inn was the original Mad Hatter location.

Azure_Attitude 6 years, 5 months ago

Yuk Up/Down, The Gaslight and The Rock Chalk in their first incarnations were just a little before my time. My first illegal bar beer was in the Bierstube (sp).

Azure_Attitude 6 years, 5 months ago

Not famliar with G.P. Lloyds . . . Mother's and Father's were on Iowa though and became the Sex-Change (Exchange) and the Slime-Out (Time-Out).

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

Clooney vs. Fabio. Who ya got?

Ceallach 6 years, 5 months ago

Sanctuary . . . now we're talking memories :) or even the Carriage Lamp!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

Somewhere, the sun is already below the yardarm.

trinity 6 years, 5 months ago

A_A, yup-i be a fogie! :)

remember the yuk up/yuk down?

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 5 months ago

Speaking of firetrips... The Stumble Inn. It was something before, but that was before me. They tore it down to build a building to house books and coffee drinkers.

RockyInn 6 years, 5 months ago

Making a "Mass St. run" also...G.P. Lloyd's, the Brewery,, Mother's, Fathers

Azure_Attitude 6 years, 5 months ago

I didn't go to the Paladium too much, don't really recollect why that is . . .

Ugh!! Those stupid liquer cards. I knew it was a private club but since I was a minor I couldn't get a membership anyway and I was very happy the door people were either apathetic, nice, or easily swayed. Except for that one troll they had. I guess if you want to keep getting in you shouldn't let someone know how revolting you think they are. Good thing he didn't work all that often . . . or he'd be on balcony duty and I'd go in the basement.

FireMarshall_Bill 6 years, 5 months ago

Oh yeah...The Sanctuary. Some hot things certainly took place there. The burgers were perfect and multi-leveled deck was a great place to bond with (ahem) nature. Free tacos on Fridays too.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

A_A, The getlaidium was always good for an easy score...

blue73harley 6 years, 5 months ago

Yep, A_A, count me in with the old fogies! I used to work near downtown and we hung out in that basement bar under the Opera House after work. The 7th Spirit was actually a "private club" at the time. I remember the drink cards you had to buy and the built-in aquarium. And occasionally we would wander over to Quantrill's. I believe it was on the west side of Mass.

Azure_Attitude 6 years, 5 months ago

When I was a student it was like what Blue said.

The Hatter, The Sanctuary . . . we got some fogies up in here. Can I get me a 7th Spirit or The Stables (but I guess that became part of the Sactuary), Dirty Herbies, or Quantirll's Saloon?

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning...

Pywacket 6 years, 5 months ago

Speaking of firetraps, we spent an inordinate amount of time at The Jazzhaus back in the day--back when they played more jazz than funk, for one thing.. They had Friday Happy Hour with free taco bar. And the chairs weren't nailed to the floor! But you could get a little paranoid when the place was packed and you knew that if a fire broke out, you'd have to fight your way through scores of half-plastered zombies to get to the narrow doors--then down the narrow staircase in front or the narrow hallway leading to the back outdoor stairs.

Friday was always my favorite night to go out (while in school and beyond), but a lot of people went out on Wednesdays. I got drawn into that from time to time, and always regretted it Thursday morning when I had to get up early.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

The skanksuary? That place was a firetrap...

trinity 6 years, 5 months ago

ah, i remember the sanctuary!!!

and hawklet-stay the hell outta elmer's cow!!!! ;)

H_Lecter 6 years, 5 months ago

Best weekday special was ten cent draws at the Sanctuary every Tues. night.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 5 months ago

"Bob, come on, you know alcohol has never crossed the lips of any KU student under 21. I'm sure she is drinking Virgin Mary's, Red Bulls, or pop."

You are correct!

I accidentally on more than one occassion had a drink or six prior to when I was 21. I'm not passing judgement on the young gal, just thought it was odd to imply what she did. I'd have probably done the same thing back in the day.

Jackalope 6 years, 5 months ago

The biggest drinking night for students in Lawrence? It has to be All night.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

prospector is right... If you scheduled your classes right, you could be sucking down a schooner by 1.

hawklet21 6 years, 5 months ago

Sunday- It's vat-'o-margaritas night at El Mezcal.

Godot 6 years, 5 months ago

Change the legal drinking age to 18 again; get real.

staff04 6 years, 5 months ago

Whoa, it reeks of self-righteousness in here...

I'm sure none of you EVER drank before you were 21...

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 5 months ago

I can't believe they interviewed a freshman. Somebody email this link to her parents. As for the biggest drinking night, well stop day eve was always big. Then of course there's St. Patty's day, and New Year's Eve. It's hard to say what the biggest is. You should probably just ask the people who sell alcohol when they sell the most.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 5 months ago

On the Street carefully selects the location to insure the response it desires. Do you ever see them at WalMart or on the west side? Answer: NO

prospector 6 years, 5 months ago

Who says you have to wait for night!

The students have not figured out that the best night is the $1.75 beers on Monday at the Free State Brewery. Please don't tell them. I don't want to have to start yelling, " Hey puke! Get out of my way or I'm gonna smack you with my cane."

When I was a student, it was Wednesday at the Mad Hatter for those looking for the best bang for the buck. All the beer you could drink for $5.00. The disco music sucked but it did not take long to forget it was playing. In fact, it was hard to remember much of anything the next day.

Does anyone else think this question is a plant by the police to determine when to do the saturation patrols?

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 5 months ago

""Probably Thursday. I know a lot of the girls on my floor don't have any classes on Friday, so why not start the weekend early?"

• Ashleigh Cantrell, KU freshman, Olathe

A bit self-incriminating, eh?

Ceallach 6 years, 5 months ago

That is soooo Jayhawk Blvd.

Thursday starts the weekend, no doubt about it. Ashleigh, Ashleigh, do not go into the light!! Try to take your most important class in a section that includes Friday morning, at least while you are underage. We lose so many bright, promising freshmen to alcohol related complications . . . social, physical, and academic.

Godot 6 years, 5 months ago

trinity 6 years, 5 months ago

i am anxiously awaiting a reply to this ots from hawklet21! ;)

juscin3 6 years, 5 months ago

LOL, I'm sure the parents enjoy knowing where their hard earned money goes to..."hey BettieSue, let's start saving before we have our kids, because when they go to college, they will drink it away." No wonder why the tuition is always going up! LOL

geekin_topekan 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey,your right.Thats all on campus!

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

That doesn't look like Mass Street to me.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 5 months ago

Damn you, Blue!!! Always inside of my head.