Previous   Next

What is your favorite advertising jingle?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 7, 2007

Browse the archives

“I love the Toys ‘R’ Us jingle, because it reminds me of good times when I was a kid.”

“I like the Mr. Clean song, because it reminds me of my brother, Mr. B.”

“The Pepsodent song. ‘You’ll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent.”

“It’s an old one. The ‘taste me, taste me’ Doral cigarette jingle.”

Comments

Marion Lynn 6 years, 5 months ago

Not really a jingle but one of the finest ads which ever appeared was for the 1961 Lincoln Continental four-door convertible.

The ad showed a white car on a white background with a really classy model dressed in red exiting the car through the open rear door.

The car was outlined on the white background by its fender trim.

The only caption was this:

"Count the doors"

Beautiful the and beautiful now.

I remember back in the salad days my 1965 model which on a cloudy day I parked in front of The Harbour on Mass. Thhis car was equipped with the optional rain sensor which would put up the top automatically if it statrted to rain which it did while I was enjoying a brew or two in that revered watering hole.

Just as some guy who was really loaded went out through the front door, a raindrop hit the sensor and things began to happen!.

The deck lid rose, the deck lid flap folded under, the top raised and latched itself down, the deck lid closed and latched, the windows went up and the doors locked.

Well, this poor guy was leaning on a parking meter watching all this and turned right around and went back into The Harbour.

I liked'ta died laughing!

coolmom 6 years, 5 months ago

wheres the beef? i'd like to buy the world a coke and the happy cows commercial

aeroscout17 6 years, 5 months ago

Oh forgot this one; only folks that lived out west will remember it.

Raiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii...nieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer...Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer!

Ken Miller 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm Mister Plow - that's my name.

That name again is Mr. Plow.

Windlass 6 years, 5 months ago

"I can't believe I ate the whole thing."

adriennerm 6 years, 5 months ago

I like the meow commericals.....I hate the Pizza Street song....OMG please get that commercial off the air.

MattressMan 6 years, 5 months ago

First management something for everyone...

ok but seriously now, I'd like to by the world a coke

trinity 6 years, 5 months ago

you've come a long way, baby...to get where you got to, today; you've got a new cigarette now baby, you've come a long long way!

was that virginia slims? can't remember but do recall the song! :0

Gootsie 6 years, 5 months ago

No one mentioned the "First Management - something for everyone" jingle!

Marion Lynn 6 years, 5 months ago

"N-E-S-T-L-E-S....... Nestle's Makes the Very Best................ Chocolate".

"Call Roto-Rooter!

That's the name!

And away go troubles, down the drain!

Roto-Rooter!"

"Rice-A-Roni!

The San Francisco treat!"

"C&H!

(Pure cane sugar!)

From Hawaii!

(Growin' in the sun!)......."

consumer1 6 years, 5 months ago

ALERT !!! This entire post has not one raving post from BOZO !!!!! I guess there must not be a shred of racicism in commercial jingles. Otherwise, he would be here telling everyone how pathetic we are.

I hereby declare this a BOZO Free blog. all clear.

consumer1 6 years, 5 months ago

Goootsie, I tried to call you, but, I can't find your # Con1

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 5 months ago

"Call 1-800 Steamer----Stanley Steamer gets carpets CLEANER!!"

cowgomoo 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey, you're young and swingin' No time to think about tomorrow But there ain't no use to deny it Some day, you're goin' to buy it Ferryman, Ferryman He's the man with the plot, the man with the plan Ferryman, Ferryman, He's the man who really loves you.... ALOT!

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 5 months ago

beatrice (Anonymous) says:

"O-O-O-O'Reilly"! - yep, gotta sell him like the Cheeze Whiz that he is."

No, more for exposing the Cheese Whiz of the far-left Cheez-Wizards.

Pywacket 6 years, 5 months ago

Dang, Marion-- I was scrolling down, incredulous that nobody had posted, "See the USA In Your CHEVrolet!!" when I finally came to your post with that one. I was all ready to add it myself.

That, and the Pepsodent jingle (supplied by Judith, who was actually on the street rather than on a computer), have such wonderful associations attached to them. I was so little! Life was so grand!

Another fave from that era: Mr Bubble--the one in which the little boy taking a bubble bath tries to fool Grandma by making a bubble beard and putting on a hat and a fake voice ("How do you do, madame?") when she comes into the bathroom to check on him. Grandma plays along by running out, grabbing the phone, and shouting, "Operator! Operator! There's a MAN in my bathtub!!" Then she scoops him up, all sudsy, in a big towel, and says, "You little rascal!"

I don't remember if there was even a jingle with it--we kids just cracked up at the old lady's plea to the operator. It became a catch phrase with us for years. We would prank call random numbers and shout, "Operator!...etc.." Ah.. prank calls that could go undetected... Kids today don't know what they're missing. ;-)

Other than that... y'all seem to have covered most of the best. Good job.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 5 months ago

"Show us your Lark!"

"I'd rather fight than switch!"

"LSMFT means..................................."

"Wouldn't you really rather have a Buick?"

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

labmonkey (Anonymous) says:

One thing I hate is when advertisers use songs that you love for their commercials:.then you start to dislike the song because it reminds you of a product. I hate the fact that a song I love, "Right Now," by Van Halen still makes me think of Crystal Clear Pespi or when Skynyrd sold themselves to Budweiser by letting them use "Simple Man."

Or when they started using the song "Anticipation" from Carley Simon (right?) for ketchup commercials.

labmonkey 6 years, 5 months ago

Well....the perverse things you could come up with to answer the following question made it a good jingle:

"What would you do-oooo-oooo for a Klondike bar?"

One thing I hate is when advertisers use songs that you love for their commercials....then you start to dislike the song because it reminds you of a product. I hate the fact that a song I love, "Right Now," by Van Halen still makes me think of Crystal Clear Pespi or when Skynyrd sold themselves to Budweiser by letting them use "Simple Man."

Oh yea...the worst jingles ever.... a tie between "I'm a Ford Truck Man," and "This is ourrrrrrrrrr country."

spywell 6 years, 5 months ago

Do any of you remember "Tee-a-wan-na smalls" from the early 1960's.

One for the road baby, for you baby, You know who you are, You know who you are.

riverdrifter 6 years, 5 months ago

Everybody here drinks Fitgers, Fitgers Everybody here drinks Fitgers beer Hearty beer, party beer, hearty beer, party beer Everybody here drinks Fitgers beer (repeat, then sound of beer being opened & poured in a glass) Fitgers: Call of the north woods!

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

Ha! I have inflicted the Empire song on someone else. I'm happy now.

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

Wow, some of you old people are reeeeeeeally showing your age.

Cheese, Glorious Cheese! Go ahead...pour it on!

Get a little closer! Don't be shy! Get a closer with Arrid Extra Dryyyy!!!!

Alfred_W 6 years, 5 months ago

Reeeddd Wigglers The Cadillac of Worms THE Cadillac of Worms

Marion Lynn 6 years, 5 months ago

Moderate:

I heard those underarm noises al the way the here!

What would your mother say?

In the meantime.................

"See the USA in your Chevrolet!"

logicsound04 6 years, 5 months ago

Ren & Stimpy, eh?

Pooooooooooooooooowdered Toast Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(not a jingle, but a classic--I loved the fact that he flew backwards)

SloMo 6 years, 5 months ago

Here's a trivia quiz! Who sang "You get the feelin' Of honest dealin' When you call Bill NEILL!"

beatrice 6 years, 5 months ago

"O-O-O-O'Reilly"! -- yep, gotta sell him like the Cheeze Whiz that he is.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Here's another oldie, and (not-somuch) goodie...

"Clap on clap clap Clap off clap clap Clap on, clap off... the clapper"

ugh... I knew these things would be running through my head all day.

ontheotherhand 6 years, 5 months ago

Darn you, sgtwolverine! I can't get that stupid Empire telephone number out of my head!!! Agh!!!

588-2300 Empire! 588-2300 Empire! 588-2300 Empire! 588-2300 Empire! 588-2300 Empire! HHEEELLLPPPPP!

ndmoderate 6 years, 5 months ago

What'll ya have... Pabst Blue Ribbon

ndmoderate 6 years, 5 months ago

And don't forget "Don't Whiz on the Electric Fence!"

ndmoderate 6 years, 5 months ago

It's Log, it's Log, It's big, it's heavy, it's wood; It's Log, Log, Better than bad, it's good! Everyone wants a Log, You're gonna love it Log, Everyone needs a Log, It's Log, Log, Log!

(from Blammo)

/apologies to any Ren and Stimpy fans if I messed up the words a little....

Gootsie 6 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Ramirez, you had to be there.

ontheotherhand 6 years, 5 months ago

Mr Ramirez: You are SO correct. All Spangles ads are painful and the Pizza Street jingle is equivalent to fingernails s-l-o-w-l-y going down a chalkboard.

imagold 6 years, 5 months ago

I remember hearing this catchy little jingle in the 60's on Wichita's KFDI AM country station during drives to visit my grandparents. It took me years to finally remember the whole thing.

Keep your windows up, your temper down, As you drive real cool all over town. In the heat, on the street, on the hot highway, Drive air conditioned with A-R (pause), Air conditioned with ARA.

moo 6 years, 5 months ago

I agree with the popular consensus here: I refuse to EVER eat at either Spangles or Pizza Street solely based on their jingles. Never. How's that for marketing? Oh, and someone needs to stop Payless Furniture Outlet too...no jingles, just the worst commercials in history!

As for the good side, the Goldfish jingle, of course!

"I love gold fishes 'cause they're soooo delicious! Got goldfishes!"

Mr_Ramirez 6 years, 5 months ago

consumer1 (Anonymous) says: My All time favorite. Gootsie got some bootsie...........

....yeah, a real "riot"............eyeroll

rocknrow2 6 years, 5 months ago

How about the Little Debbie (snack cakes) one? I know it would make my sister cringe when I would chant it at her. Could have been my vocals?

Gootsie 6 years, 5 months ago

Did you all see today's USA Today story on the Jayhawks?

Gootsie 6 years, 5 months ago

C1, what a riot! We're talking JINGLES, not JUGGLES! ;)

consumer1 6 years, 5 months ago

My All time favorite.

Gootsie got some bootsie she shake it like a hootsie git it, git it, don't try to hit it. She hit you in a nose knock down yer hose Then shake it like a prose

Get Gootsie today !!

Gootsie 6 years, 5 months ago

Crest has been shown to be an effective decay preventive dentrifice that can be of significant value when used in a conscientiously applied program of oral hygiene and regular professional care.

Not a jingle but forever etched in my brain nonetheless...

Mr_Ramirez 6 years, 5 months ago

2 jingles/commercials that make me want to slit my wrists:

Spangles

Pizza Street

I will never eat at these establishments because of these torturous marketing campaigns....

DIE SPANGLES LADY!! DIE!!!!

voice 6 years, 5 months ago

Jayhawk Bookstore Jingle was produced locally and has run for many years.....top of the Hill.

pace 6 years, 5 months ago

Raid kills bugs dead.

Why I like it, it is wrong but strong.

jfcm77 6 years, 5 months ago

We love Sam's Club, we love Sam's Club. Yeah!

redwaggoner 6 years, 5 months ago

the best jingle is NO JINGLE at all! Why can't advertisers simply talk about their products/services without brow beating us with some stupid music? I'm more inclined to buy from a company that doesn't have a "JINGLE" to remember them by!

Kathy Getto 6 years, 5 months ago

"Hey Mabel, Black Label"

Or... I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!

aeroscout17 6 years, 5 months ago

Rock Me Gently, only in light of the new Jeep commercial where the coyote/wolf (whatever) accidentally swallows and spits up the singing bird!

Laura Watkins 6 years, 5 months ago

ugh, i used to LOVE the car-x commercial when i was a little kid. the other commercial i remember from when i was little was the commercial for rubins, case, rubins, cambiano and bryant. "523-8200". i used to prank call them from the pool all the time.

also, and i'm not sure if this was a commercial jingle or just the handclap game, but definitely i'm a pepper you're a pepper he's a pepper she's a pepper wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?

kristyj 6 years, 5 months ago

I can't believe the Kit-Kat commercial hasn't made it on here yet. Gimme a break!

Break me off a piece of that Kit-Kat Bar...

Sagecasey 6 years, 5 months ago

"Who wears short shorts? We wear short shorts, If you dare wear short shorts, Nair for short shorts"

logicsound04 6 years, 5 months ago

For all the fans of the Bud Light Real Men of Genius campaign--here's one that's particularly hilarious for Jayhawk fans----------------------->

[Sung to the Bud Light Commercial tune.]

Bold Voiceover: "Today we salute you...Mr. Overconfident Missouri fan."

"Mr Overconfident Missouri Fan!" (cheesy singing)

Bold Voiceover: "Year after year, you make unrealistic expectations only to have them come crashing down. And year after year like a true masochist, you come back for more."

"Thank you sir may I have another!!!?" (cheesy singing)

Bold Voiceover: "Winning the Big 12 North. Beating Texas. Sweeping your archrival in basketball and football. These are among the things you expect. If that fails, you can always criticize some obscure aspect of the other team."

"KU's linebackers look gay!" (cheesy singing)

Bold Voiceover: "And if things really go bad, you know who to blame...the coach!"

"Fire Gary Pinkle!" (cheesy singing)

Bold Voiceover: "So crack open an ice cold Bud Light Mr. Overconfident Missouri fan. Because you always know, if things don't turn out, you can always say "wait till next year.""

"Mr. Overconfident Missouri fan!" (cheesy singing)

pomegranate 6 years, 5 months ago

See the 55 Ford All new 55 Ford See the 55 Ford Coming November 12

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for the ear-worm, bea. ;)

mom_of_three 6 years, 5 months ago

Oh, and then there was the Dr. Pepper jingle...

"i'm a pepper, he's a pepper, she's a pepper...........don't you want to be a pepper, too."

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

The one in my head right now? "800-588-2300, Empire!" But I can't say I like that one, so I'm pretty sure I won't be calling Empire for my carpeting needs.

But yeah, the Real Men of Genius campaign is great. I do like those.

allateup 6 years, 5 months ago

"gimme a light"

"a bud light"

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 5 months ago

Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is!

prospector 6 years, 5 months ago

"Hey Ho, Lets Go" by the Ramones.

I am sure that the late band members would want to come back and throw their heirs in a mosh pit with the KU football team for pimping their song out to dancing Pepsi cans.

For the nostalgic, "From the valley of the Jolly ('ho, ho, ho') Green Giant!"

Baby_Snakes 6 years, 5 months ago

"Where tha Cheese Go"! by Ween

Royals 6 years, 5 months ago

Here's to you, Mr. Nosebleed Season Ticket Holder Guy.

logicsound04 6 years, 5 months ago

"Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea. Yea! Pepto-Bismol"

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

It's Slinky, it's Slinky for fun it's a wonderful toy... It's Slinky. It's Slikny It's fun for a girl and a boy!

The funniest thing I ever heard was when my precious 10 yr old got a Dick's Sporting Goods and a Spangle's commercial mixed up. You can just imagine what she sang that "just tastes beter!" (Poor thing will never live it down.) We really did try not to laugh.

beatrice 6 years, 5 months ago

meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meow ...

least favorite is:

Gotta go, gotta go, gotta go right now, gotta go, gotta go, gotta go

acg 6 years, 5 months ago

I can tell you the one I hate the most "get your degree, set yourself free, call National American University" That gets in my head and drives me crazy. I dig the old Cheerios jingle

The unsinkable taste of cheerios, not a lot of sugar to weigh down those cheerios. See how they float, no sinkin' 'em down. You can't, he can't, she can't sink the unsinkable taste of, che-cheery-cheery-cheery-cheerios!

ontheotherhand 6 years, 5 months ago

"Go Ahead, Knock It Off. I Dare Ya." And he was soooo handsome back then!!! :)

I haven't lived in Manhattan for almost 10 years and I STILL remember the stupid Pizza Shuttle telephone number because of their crazy jingles: 776-5577. Sheesh!

JJE007 6 years, 5 months ago

Oops. Forgot the For Better Living now... Wow. Standard was POPular!

JJE007 6 years, 5 months ago

B o N o M o
Bonomo Bonomooooooooooo TURkish TAFfy

I think I heard this down south a million years ago.

Moved to KC area in '68 and remember

Call STANdard!....bum bum bum bum bum ImPROVEment CompaNY...at WESTport 1 - 7100!

schula 6 years, 5 months ago

"Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. Almond Joy has nuts, Mounds don't"

logicsound04 6 years, 5 months ago

I can't believe no one has posted the entire Pizza Shuttle song:

Caaall 8-4-2-1-2-1-2. Call us now, Pizza Shuttle We'll bring it to your door and we're toppin' it with more. Call us now, Pizza Shuttle.

For fast, and free de-liv-er-y, Pizza the way it's supposed to be. Just give us a call, and you'll agree, It's Pizza Shuttle pizza for me!

Caaall 8-4-2-1-2-1-2. Call us now, Pizza Shuttle!

logicsound04 6 years, 5 months ago

"Rattle, rattle, thunder, clatter, boom, boom, boom. Don't worry 'cause the Car-X man!"

schula 6 years, 5 months ago

That Busch beer commercial that uses the "Simple Kind of Man" song by Lynard Skynard

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

I guess I can't read either...Consumer already posted that one!

How about "Call 321-2277, Anytime night or day!"

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

"Standard's, bum ba dum ba dum, improvement company...at Westport 1-7-100." "Kaw Kaw!"

p.s. rottEn (just can't spell today...or most days)

conservativepunker 6 years, 5 months ago

Callllllllllllllllllllllllllllll for Phiiiliiip MOoooooooriiiissss!

Azure_Attitude 6 years, 5 months ago

I loved the Keller-Geister commercial with the Orson Wells look a-like giving a shout out to Ernie and Julie while the nun in a blue habit rode by on her bike.

"We will sell no wine before you pay for it."

Ooh, but bad, bad, headache wine. But waddya expect from a screw top . . . yeah, evidence of a gloriously mispent youth.

KSChick1 6 years, 5 months ago

My LEAST favorite:

"Spangles, it just tastes better"

!!!!!!!!!!!

consumer1 6 years, 5 months ago

Fpr better living now, and better values later call standard, bom bom bom bom bom improvement company @ westport 1-7100 "Awwwwkkkkkk"! I remember this from probably 35 years ago. This is a local Kansas City Company.

scenebooster 6 years, 5 months ago

These jingles allow me to understand how Elvis felt when he shot his TV...

"There's nothing better than a $3.99 buffett, (something about friendly people who make the food fresh everyday) more hoo-hah....."

"Pizza Street! Pizza Street!" "All you can eat for $3.99!"

Please, for the love of God, make them stop.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

From the land of sky blue waters, from the land of pines, lofty balsams, comes the beer refreshing, Hamm's the beer refreshing.

That bear was so cute, and made that refreshing beer sound so good. Damn straight if that wasn't the brand of beer always chilling in the Norge... Barley pop.... MMmmmm

Soapdish 6 years, 5 months ago

Callllllllll 842-1212. Call us now Pizza Shuttle...doo dooo dooot.

concernedparent 6 years, 5 months ago

there aint no bugs on me, there aint no bugs on me, there may be bugs on some of you mugs, but there aint no bugs on me!

Or 842-1212, call us now pizza shuttle......

Bone777 6 years, 5 months ago

Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, Oh, what a relief it is......

mom_of_three 6 years, 5 months ago

Sue, you picked the two of my favorite - Band-aids, and oscar mayer. Must be a mom thing....

My kids also used to sing the "un-oh, spaghettios"

Andini 6 years, 5 months ago

Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

blue73harley 6 years, 5 months ago

"I'd like to buy the world a Coke..."

geekin_topekan 6 years, 5 months ago

The "stuck on Band-aids" song was John Travolta's TV debut.Learned that on VH1.

"Let Noxema cream your face,so the razor don't.(Joe Namath,,Woo!).

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

Hmmm. . . . can't think of one.

Can tell you my least favorite, at least right now, is that damned Pizza Street commercial.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 5 months ago

I strongly believe that the print-only jingle, if you will, which appeared in 1923 for the Jordan Playboy automobile to be the grandaddy of them all.......

It began, "Somewhere West of Laramie............."

Ever wondered where that phrase came from?

You've heard it and most of you have at one time or another, used it in connection with something in ordinary conversation. The ad sparked a new generation of advertising which focussed on entirely new aspects, moving away from the product itself, targetting the benefits which the advertiser wanted you to percieve as the the result of using the product.

The ad was also overtly sexual in character and created quite a row at the time!

AdAge considers it to be number 30 in the top 100 although I would rate it much higher.

The ad itself:

The ad copy:

"SOMEWHERE west of Laramie there's a bronco-busting girl who knows what I'm talking about. "She can tell what a sassy pony, that's a cross between greased lighting and the place where it hits, can do with eleven hundred pounds of steel and action when he's going high, wide and handsome. "The truth is-the Playboy was built for her.

"Built for the lass whose, face is brown with the sun when the day is done of revel and romp and race.

"She loves the cross of the wild and the tame.

"There's a savor of links about that car-of laughter and lilt and light-a hint of old loves-and saddle and quirt. It's a brawny thing - yet a graceful thing for the sweep o' the Avenue.

"Step into the Playboy when the hour grows dull with things gone dead and stale.

"Then start for the land of real living with the spirit of the lass who rides, lean and rangy, into the red horizon of a Wyoming twilight."

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

Oops! MAyer

"Poison pickles, rotton lettuce, shut up lady, you upset us, all we want to do is shove that mic up your nose. Have it our way, at Burger King..."

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 5 months ago

I see a little sillhoutte of a can. Mountain Dew! Mountain Dew!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

"Oh I wish I were an Oscar-Meyer weiner..."

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

"Oh, the world looks mighty good to me, 'cause Tootsie Rolls are all I see..."

"I am stuck on Band-Aid brand 'cause Band-Aid's stuck on me..."

"My bologna has a first name, it's O S C A R..."

Now I'm going to be singing jingles all day.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

"Go get a Goo-Goo, they're good!"

ohjayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

And another good one I forogot...

My bologna has a first name...

This questions is causing sensory overload as it seems every jingle I've ever been subjected to in my life is crashing over me in an unstoppable wave. They're going to be running through my head in a loop all day, dammit!

ohjayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Hard to pick just one...

Nestle's makes the very best chawk-lit

Two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun

We are Nippersinkers, we're in luck, if it rains all week, we'll just act like a duck, quack quack, waddle waddle, quack quack, waddle waddle

Mike Edson 6 years, 5 months ago

I think it is an AG Edwards commercial about your "nest egg" for retirement.