Previous   Next

What achievements did you receive recognition for when you were younger?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 5, 2007

Browse the archives

“I won a first-place trophy for the children’s tractor pull at the State Fair in Hutchinson.”

“I got two trophies for having undefeated soccer seasons and a second-place trophy for Little League.”

“I won the spelling bee in fifth grade and lettered in cheerleading.”

“When I was in fourth grade, I got a trophy for playing baseball even though we lost every game.”

Comments

Kat Christian 7 years, 1 month ago

I have about 10 trophies I won marching in various parades (back East). 2- 1st place, 7 - 2nd place & 1 - 3rd place. Plus several certificates of recognition for my clown work.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

Some baseball stuff, mostly. Oh yeah, and I got the highest score in my 6th grade DARE to say no to drugs test. Another proof that DARE doesn't work in the slightest.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

As a curiosity, does it seem to anyone else that the news that our (cough) ally, Pakistan, has declared a questionable marshal law is being a bit buried by our media system? Because it sure seems that way to me.

trinity 7 years, 1 month ago

notable to me also, jonas-the seeming burial of developing news out of pakistan. and sad to say, that does not surprise me. :-/

heh, achievement recognition when i was younger? nada, really. i was pretty much a slacker. but once my children were born? :) that's when my star shone the brightest.

trinity 7 years, 1 month ago

oh and jonas it just struck me; there is a WRITER'S STRIKE in hollyweird, for god's sake, man! priorities! ;) no wonder world news isn't being urgently reported!

cms 7 years, 1 month ago

Do schools still hand out Presidential Physical Fitness awards? I received many of those awards. Along with being a hula-hoop champ.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

Das: I guess you could be technically considered as younger then. . . .

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

Silly right-thinker, Conspiracy theories are for libs.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

Lets just say I was a bit of an over-achiever.

mom_of_three 7 years, 1 month ago

I received a few of the Physical Fitness awards, and a honorable mention for an essay about the bicentennial. (Yes, I just dated myself) I also had trophies for winning in horseshows. My buckskin mare was the best!!

Flap Doodle 7 years, 1 month ago

I had the Blue Ribbon brontosaurus at the county fair.

H_Lecter 7 years, 1 month ago

Best dish made with unknown recipe & contents

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 1 month ago

I won a spelling bee in fourth grade. I kept it in my ear and it corrected my mistakes. It helped with grammar, too. Clever be that spelling bee. I've been looking for that particular hive of spelling bees ever since. Me and my running boards have covered a lot of miles to no avail.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 1 month ago

I don't really remember anything particularly notable when I was younger. I did, however, win an award just a few weeks ago!

pace 7 years, 1 month ago

I read all the books in the 3rd and 4th. grade library, and my favorite teacher Miss Loughmiller gave me a letter with a star for every book. I was so surprised. There was about 300 stars.

preebo 7 years, 1 month ago

I was voted Valedictorian of my high school graduating class in 1997.

Summan 7 years, 1 month ago

My proudest recognition was a top blue ribbon (in 4-H) for my now "famous" poppy seed bread. To this day I don't serve it without letting folks now it is a WINNER!!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 1 month ago

Py, I won an award for some of my sports photography that has appeared in my local paper.

dajudge 7 years, 1 month ago

I won $100 at a casino once. And a pig on a pedestal trophy for brisket. And a trophy for high scratch game in the bowling league. And won the 3rd grade spelling bee. And the Ambrosia Chocolate Award. And I won a wastebasket in the church basement playing bingo. I'm still winning affection from my friends.

badger 7 years, 1 month ago

dajudge said:

"And a pig on a pedestal trophy for brisket."

Please tell me the trophy had a pig on it as a 'generic farm animal made of meat' representation, not that you made brisket out of pig.

My own awards list highlights the secret shame of my total geekery:

Lots of little spelling trophies over the years First-place softball team in the league three years running Got to the regional finals for the National Spelling Bee National Honor Society achievement awards National Merit Scholar First place, NW Missouri State Science Olympiad - Advanced Biology (it came with a scholarship, but who wants to go to NW Missouri State University? I'd been aiming for second place, which got a really cool graphing calculator) Employee of the Month and Employee of the Year at various jobs in college Annual and semi-annual raises and performance bonuses since college

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 1 month ago

Urban Chicago schools didn't seems too encouraging to me so my achievements have been in college (honor roll) and as an adult.

When I was 12 I saved a kid from drowning in Lake Michigan and was so honored with a b*tching out by the life guard who failed to notice what was happening

Jonas, are you kidding? That Pakistan business has been all over CCN this weekend and today. And leave it to R_T with his rectally asphyxiating self to give the partisan reach around.

gogoplata 7 years, 1 month ago

I drove trucks, broke arms, and arm wrestled.

Summan 7 years, 1 month ago

Pywacket (Anonymous) says: Several cooking awards amongst this illustrious crew. Care to divulge any recipes?

I would, but I really would have to kill you. My poppy seed bread (winning loaf) recipe stays with me. :)

Oh yeah, I once won a dance-a-thon contest, decades ago, while raising money for Jerry's kids. It was amazing how none of us got too tired shaking our groove thing for 24 hours!

badger 7 years, 1 month ago

prospector:

Brisket should be made of cow, not of pig. It should be coated with dry rub and smoked for a minimum of six hours, more preferably 12. It is to be eaten with a moderately spicy sauce served to the side for optional dipping, jalapenos, sliced raw onion, and white bread. Pickles are allowed by special dispensation only.

Pig brisket is an affront before god and man. I'm sure pork belly is a fine food, but 'brisket' it is not.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 1 month ago

way too many to list here, but I'm proudest of my Hog Calling Contest Championship when I was a Junior.

badger 7 years, 1 month ago

R_I:

I have no response to that. I sit stunned in horrified silence.

sigerson 7 years, 1 month ago

"Hands on a Hard Body" is indeed a fine film. One of my favorite documentaries.

I've won "Employee of the Month" every month for the past sixteen years. Of course, being self-employed...

GretchenJP 7 years, 1 month ago

Shouldn't it be "for what achievments did you receive recognition when you were younger?" Maybe I'm wrong. I achieved very little as a youngster except maybe the ability to give my mother migraines.

GretchenJP 7 years, 1 month ago

deskboy04 (Anonymous) says:

Spelling bea in graid skool.

Wow, a well deserved award indeed! :o/

badger 7 years, 1 month ago

Thats coz deskboy is hukt on foneks!