Previous   Next

How are you going to spend your extra hour of daylight?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 4, 2007

Browse the archives

“I’m going to catch up on some late work I’ve been putting off, so that I don’t fall too far behind.”

“I’m going out for an extra hour of drinking.”

“Probably sleeping. Being pregnant makes me tired all the time, so my baby and I will be getting an extra hour of sleep.”

“I’m going to spend some time with my younger brother before he goes off to college.”

Comments

Kathy Getto 7 years, 5 months ago

Spent getting an extra hour in bed, snuggling. :-)

nut_case 7 years, 5 months ago

Please explain this 'extra hour of daylight'. The almanac for November 3 shows sunrise 7:50AM, sunset 6:19PM, day length 10h, 29m. On November 4, sunrise 6:51AM, sunset 5:18PM, day length 10h, 27m. So it seems we have actually lost 2 minutes of 'daylight'

At best the question could be "How will you spend the extra hour of your 'day' ?''

sunflower_sue 7 years, 5 months ago

Who words these questions? I spent my extra hour sleeping in. (But, of course, I stayed up later last night.)

average 7 years, 5 months ago

Huh? The sun will be going down at 5:30 or so standard time tonight. What "extra hour"?

Sigmund 7 years, 5 months ago

Contemplating that by procrastinating for months all my clocks are now currently correct.

camper 7 years, 5 months ago

Are we supposed to set our clocks forward or back an hour? Do I need to buy a new watch?

snowWI 7 years, 5 months ago

The sun will go down at about 4:15PM tonight in areas of New England! It just shows you how far south in latitude Kansas is.

KS 7 years, 5 months ago

I don't see it as an extra hour. They just moved it from evening to morning.That's okay too.

Crossfire 7 years, 5 months ago

I am mot going to spend it. I am going to save it. I will use it when I need it. Or just waste it on some darkness.

labmonkey 7 years, 5 months ago

" 'I'm going out for an extra hour of drinking.'

• Anne Pomeroy, Kansas University freshman, Lawrence"

Uhm, I didn't think your traditional University freshman could legally drink. Although I know that most all of us drank before turning 21, we weren't stupid enough to announce it in a newspaper.

camper 7 years, 5 months ago

Oh I guess I'll play the same dumb joke I play every year. Show up to work an hour early and ask everyone why they are late.

GretchenJP 7 years, 5 months ago

sunflower_sue (Anonymous) says:

Py, you made me snort.

I think maybe snorting_sue might be a better user name for you. :P

jayhawks71 7 years, 5 months ago

Daylight SAVING Time, not Daylight SAVINGS Time.

There is no extra hour of daylight to be "spent" and therefore the comment that "the opposite of saving is to spend" makes the question appropriate, is irrelevant. The issue has nothing to do with the concept of spending, it has to do with the idea that there is an extra hour of daylight to be spent. There is not; the question is therefore, wrong.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 5 months ago

I'm putting my extra hour up for sale on eBay. The reserve price is a penny but shipping and handling is gonna cost you $50. It's hard as he!! to ship time. It's always getting lost in transit.

badger 7 years, 5 months ago

Since it's just moving from the end of my day to the beginning, I figured I'd spend it the same way I spent it when it was at the end of my day.

Unfortunately, the boss said I shouldn't hang out on my back porch for an hour drinking margaritas before coming to work any more. Also, no one wants to hear knock-knock jokes in the Monday planning meeting after all...

Now I'll have to move 'margarita time' back to the evening and try moving 'go to the gym' to the mornings instead. It was much easier to face tequila in the morning than it will be to face the elliptical...

Stupid wonky timeness.

snowWI 7 years, 5 months ago

Actually, the sunset is still rather late around here compared with areas further to the north and northeast. Most areas in the Upper Midwest and interior Northeast have current sunset times at 4:30 or earlier.

Crossfire 7 years, 5 months ago

Are you sure that it would not be better to fall forward and spring back. Leaving more sun light after work. DLST is a Puritan Conspiracy anyway.