Previous   Next

How are you going to spend your extra hour of daylight?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 4, 2007

Browse the archives

“I’m going to catch up on some late work I’ve been putting off, so that I don’t fall too far behind.”

“I’m going out for an extra hour of drinking.”

“Probably sleeping. Being pregnant makes me tired all the time, so my baby and I will be getting an extra hour of sleep.”

“I’m going to spend some time with my younger brother before he goes off to college.”

Comments

Crossfire 6 years, 5 months ago

Are you sure that it would not be better to fall forward and spring back. Leaving more sun light after work. DLST is a Puritan Conspiracy anyway.

snowWI 6 years, 5 months ago

Actually, the sunset is still rather late around here compared with areas further to the north and northeast. Most areas in the Upper Midwest and interior Northeast have current sunset times at 4:30 or earlier.

Windlass 6 years, 5 months ago

I may spend these surplus hours wondering what they know in Indiana that we don't.

badger 6 years, 5 months ago

Since it's just moving from the end of my day to the beginning, I figured I'd spend it the same way I spent it when it was at the end of my day.

Unfortunately, the boss said I shouldn't hang out on my back porch for an hour drinking margaritas before coming to work any more. Also, no one wants to hear knock-knock jokes in the Monday planning meeting after all...

Now I'll have to move 'margarita time' back to the evening and try moving 'go to the gym' to the mornings instead. It was much easier to face tequila in the morning than it will be to face the elliptical...

Stupid wonky timeness.

JJE007 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm putting my extra hour up for sale on eBay. The reserve price is a penny but shipping and handling is gonna cost you $50. It's hard as he!! to ship time. It's always getting lost in transit.

KS 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't see it as an extra hour. They just moved it from evening to morning.That's okay too.

labmonkey 6 years, 5 months ago

" 'I'm going out for an extra hour of drinking.'

• Anne Pomeroy, Kansas University freshman, Lawrence"

Uhm, I didn't think your traditional University freshman could legally drink. Although I know that most all of us drank before turning 21, we weren't stupid enough to announce it in a newspaper.

jayhawks71 6 years, 5 months ago

Daylight SAVING Time, not Daylight SAVINGS Time.

There is no extra hour of daylight to be "spent" and therefore the comment that "the opposite of saving is to spend" makes the question appropriate, is irrelevant. The issue has nothing to do with the concept of spending, it has to do with the idea that there is an extra hour of daylight to be spent. There is not; the question is therefore, wrong.

Pywacket 6 years, 5 months ago

Sunny Sue~ deja vu!! I haven't been accused of leading anyone into that kind of temptation in years!! Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can make anyone roll.

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

sunflower_sue (Anonymous) says:

Py, you made me snort.

I think maybe snorting_sue might be a better user name for you. :P

Pywacket 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm using mine to take a cruise. A whole hour! I can hardly believe my good fortune.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

Since we are switching to Standard Time, from Daylight Savings Time, and the opposite of saving is to spend... The OTS question "How are you going to spend your extra hour of daylight?" is appropriate.

Jonathan_Jason_McDaniels 6 years, 5 months ago

................by the way............

Congrats to you, LJ World! This makes two days in a row where you have had a poorly worded Question of the Day!

"fall back", remember??!!

Geez!

True, we gained almost an hour of daylight in the AM (but most folks are still in bed).....and now the sun sets almost one hour earlier!

So.....I'm not really sure if today's question is appropriate.....doesn't seem so, anyway.

Jonathan_Jason_McDaniels 6 years, 5 months ago

I think I'll take it to McDonalds and spend it on a number 3.

camper 6 years, 5 months ago

Oh I guess I'll play the same dumb joke I play every year. Show up to work an hour early and ask everyone why they are late.

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

Spring forward and fall back, camper.

inmate 6 years, 5 months ago

Snap, I have a great Spotted Owl recipe. Twas an endangered it was.

Wasn't worth the price though.

Crossfire 6 years, 5 months ago

I am mot going to spend it. I am going to save it. I will use it when I need it. Or just waste it on some darkness.

snowWI 6 years, 5 months ago

The sun will go down at about 4:15PM tonight in areas of New England! It just shows you how far south in latitude Kansas is.

camper 6 years, 5 months ago

Are we supposed to set our clocks forward or back an hour? Do I need to buy a new watch?

Sigmund 6 years, 5 months ago

Contemplating that by procrastinating for months all my clocks are now currently correct.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 5 months ago

forgetting that there was an extra hour,

average 6 years, 5 months ago

Huh? The sun will be going down at 5:30 or so standard time tonight. What "extra hour"?

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

Who words these questions? I spent my extra hour sleeping in. (But, of course, I stayed up later last night.)

Kathy Getto 6 years, 5 months ago

Spent getting an extra hour in bed, snuggling. :-)

nut_case 6 years, 5 months ago

Please explain this 'extra hour of daylight'. The almanac for November 3 shows sunrise 7:50AM, sunset 6:19PM, day length 10h, 29m. On November 4, sunrise 6:51AM, sunset 5:18PM, day length 10h, 27m. So it seems we have actually lost 2 minutes of 'daylight'

At best the question could be "How will you spend the extra hour of your 'day' ?''