Previous   Next

Have you ever taken dance classes?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 2, 2007

Browse the archives

“I have for salsa dancing. I did it with a group of friends, so that made it more fun.”

“No. My wife was always so good at it, I just followed her lead.”

“I have not. I’m highly uncoordinated.”

“Yeah, of course. I’ve taken ballet, jazz, cotillion and some when I was in gymnastics.”

Comments

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

Just the horizontal mamba baby! Bow chicka bow bow.

Hey! Leave the ladybugs alone.

Amy Heeter 6 years, 5 months ago

It takes a "Real Man" to carry off a green leisure suit. That makes you the bomb.

sigerson 6 years, 5 months ago

artichokeheart said:

God I love lime green leisure suits:)

Fashion runs in cycles. The leisure suit may make a comeback. If only I hadn't sent the damn thing to Goodwill...

Disco may make a comeback, too, but it will have to do it without me this time.

budwhysir 6 years, 5 months ago

I took a dance class that was taught by myself in the comfort of my own living room one time. I was so good at ballroom dancing, I didnt have to pay for extra classes. I also enjoy break dancing on the weekends for extra spending money

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

Um, no. But I danced on "poms" in highschool. Does that count?

RI, when you are done, can you come over here and get rid of my ladybugs too? They are swarming all over the south side of my house. My nice white garage door is now a really ugly moving orangy-yellow. (And they smell bad if you catch them...they lay a stinky funk on you!)

Amy Heeter 6 years, 5 months ago

2 November 2007 at 2:44 p.m.

Suggest removal

Permalink sigerson (Anonymous) says:

Yes. It was 1978. Disco classes. I had a lime-green leisure suit.

God I love lime green leisure suits:)

bevy 6 years, 5 months ago

Glad to know that I'm not the only one they have bitten! I was beginning to think I'd lost my mind. I'm gonna try the vacuum cleaner.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

But Py, I can not get out of the house... Its like a Hitchcock movie... They are not the nice red ladybugs of my childhood.
These are evil mean dark mustard colored ladybugs.

Is that really true? How do you protect yourself from them?
You must get eaten alive...

Jonathan_Jason_McDaniels 6 years, 5 months ago

Oh, Amy, come on now! You're being waaaay too modest! A woman such as you has got to have at least some talent/coordination in certain ways/areas......I'm sure! ;)

Pywacket 6 years, 5 months ago

Confrontation: They tried to make us do that in 5th grade. Children suffer a lot of indignities at the whim of adults, but that one was too much for me. I refused to square dance and had to sit out on the steps of the stage at one end of the gym. If they had taught us something more useful, like ballroom dancing--waltz, samba, whatnot... I'd have probably gone along. But in my mind square dancing was associated with the corny, tawdry, and hillbilly side of life--I would have none of it.

R_I~ Those ladybugs are reincarnated souls, come back to earth to resolve unfinished business. They only bite people who are entertaining unclean thoughts. As long as you keep your mind out of the gutter, you're safe from their wrath.

sigerson 6 years, 5 months ago

Yes. It was 1978. Disco classes. I had a lime-green leisure suit.

I was one of God's frozen people.

In my defense...

Can't think of a damn thing, except that it was 29 years ago and I haven't repeated my mistake.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

Totally unrelated to the OTS question Anyone know the best way to handle those damn swarming Asian ladybugs? There is gazillions of them, and they bite.

I'm thinking leafblower, pump-up sprayer, and gasoline...

coolmom 6 years, 5 months ago

my insurance wouldnt cover the potential damage to property, self and others.

Confrontation 6 years, 5 months ago

We were forced to practice square dancing in 6th grade. Other than the music being horrible, we also didn't like dancing with some of the "gross" kids in class.

"Now, head go forward up to the middle and back, go forward again, dosado your partner, round and round, and I'm just sittin' back sittin' here lovin' you!." No wonder we hated it!

Gootsie 6 years, 5 months ago

Oh my heavens no. I dance like Consumer1. And I was a cheerleader! What a disgrace!

Unless there is a pole involved--then I come around.

ms_canada 6 years, 5 months ago

Badger - pray tell, how does one dance for mushrooms? I am intrigued. Yes, I took dance lessons. When I first came to Edmonton, I was lonely, I knew no one in this city. Someone suggested dance lessons as a diversion. It was great. I learned to rumba, tango and samba. It was a lot of fun. But you know, when you dance, you need a partner and I did not find that partner. So, although it was fun taking the lessons, it did me no good for the future. When my husband heard he had to dance at our wedding reception, he nearly called the whole thing off. When I was a teenager, I just loved going to dances and at that time, it was a popular thing to do. I loved the country dances with the square dance, polka and schotish. I could dance till I dropped. I also liked to jitterbug or jive. Now it is only in my memories. Ah, such is life. True?

Pywacket 6 years, 5 months ago

I used to do water ballet. We had to learn to choreograph our own routines. Does that count? And, of course, the horizontal boogie is always fun.

dajudge 6 years, 5 months ago

Well, now that you mention it, Elaine(Seinfeld), and I partnered up for the Dancing with the Stars and got turned away, because the judges said there would be no contest if we were in the competition. And...a dingo ate your baby.

badger 6 years, 5 months ago

Yes, I took dancing lessons.

No, it wasn't pretty. Dancing badgers look every bit as ludicrous as they sound.

Now, I only dance for mushrooms.

dminear60 6 years, 5 months ago

It seems like a lot of folks know how to "two-step" around the question!

Andini 6 years, 5 months ago

Only if they had a pole dancing class for the ladies.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

Ha! Definitely not. The world doesn't need to see me attempt to dance again.

mom_of_three 6 years, 5 months ago

no, never had any lessons, although hubby and I have talked about it. When I was in high school, we had square dance in gym for a week or so. Kind of corny, but dancing can be great exercise....

canyon_wren 6 years, 5 months ago

I took Social Dance at junior college in Monterey, CA. It was half a semester, and I got an A in it which was fortunate, because I failed the first half, which was golf. We never got to do any golfing--just went to a local course and stood on one spot and watched foursomes go around. I failed it because the final only asked for the distances the various clubs/irons could "hit" and I put feet instead of yards, or something. Social Dance was fun, though. 'Way more men than women and the teacher, a slightly plump but pretty young woman, had all the extra guys lined up behind her following the steps--like a chorus line. Those were the days of the Samba, Tango, etc., and a lot of fun. No chance or place to go dancing now! I would love to have been around Lawrence at the time they were teaching Ballroom Dancing at KU, up in (of course) the ballroom!

consumer1 6 years, 5 months ago

Dear Amy, I too have tow left feet. One I had to have surgically installed. I say this because I got no rythm, can't count time and would love to dance with you. Con1 Uhh, yes in college I took ball room dancing, I was horrible. But I want to dance, all around the room.

staff04 6 years, 5 months ago

Marion, that cracked me up!

I didn't ask, but my parents put me in square dancing lessons too!

offtotheright 6 years, 5 months ago

Went as couples one night, to learn to two-step, etc... We didn't remember any of the steps the next day. Too much beer.

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

I took ballroom dancing when I was in 7th grade. For a geeky, unpopular sevie, that was pretty much hell on earth.

BABBOY 6 years, 5 months ago

Marion:

That sounds a little like my mom and dad.

BABBOY 6 years, 5 months ago

Ted is smooooth! Way to go Ted.

I did for my wedding. They were fun. But, I still cannot dance all that well.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 5 months ago

I remember in about 1963 going to this new thing at my Jr. HIgh called Teen Town. Well, everybody was dancing and I didn't have the slightest idea how to dance even though I had been surrepitously listening to Rock'n'Roll for several years while my parents were gone.

Mentioning to the Parent Things that I would be interested in dancing lessons, they promptly hooked me up.

With square dancing lessons!

Not quite what I had in mind and was able to get out of that mess after only two of the scheduled 51 weekly lessons.

My parents did not understand and to this day my Mother thinks it a shame that I never learned to square dance.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

I saw "Saturday Night Fever"... does that count?

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

I just did the time warp, again.

blue73harley 6 years, 5 months ago

You should see me in a tutu...well, maybe not.

Fudgepop 6 years, 5 months ago

YEa and I am a big star in Hollywood just like Johnny Depp. I can say I got my start right here in Lawrence Kansas.