Previous   Next

Have you ever taken dance classes?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 2, 2007

Browse the archives

“I have for salsa dancing. I did it with a group of friends, so that made it more fun.”

“No. My wife was always so good at it, I just followed her lead.”

“I have not. I’m highly uncoordinated.”

“Yeah, of course. I’ve taken ballet, jazz, cotillion and some when I was in gymnastics.”

Comments

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

I took ballroom dancing when I was in 7th grade. For a geeky, unpopular sevie, that was pretty much hell on earth.

staff04 7 years, 1 month ago

Marion, that cracked me up!

I didn't ask, but my parents put me in square dancing lessons too!

canyon_wren 7 years, 1 month ago

I took Social Dance at junior college in Monterey, CA. It was half a semester, and I got an A in it which was fortunate, because I failed the first half, which was golf. We never got to do any golfing--just went to a local course and stood on one spot and watched foursomes go around. I failed it because the final only asked for the distances the various clubs/irons could "hit" and I put feet instead of yards, or something. Social Dance was fun, though. 'Way more men than women and the teacher, a slightly plump but pretty young woman, had all the extra guys lined up behind her following the steps--like a chorus line. Those were the days of the Samba, Tango, etc., and a lot of fun. No chance or place to go dancing now! I would love to have been around Lawrence at the time they were teaching Ballroom Dancing at KU, up in (of course) the ballroom!

mom_of_three 7 years, 1 month ago

no, never had any lessons, although hubby and I have talked about it. When I was in high school, we had square dance in gym for a week or so. Kind of corny, but dancing can be great exercise....

sgtwolverine 7 years, 1 month ago

Ha! Definitely not. The world doesn't need to see me attempt to dance again.

dminear60 7 years, 1 month ago

It seems like a lot of folks know how to "two-step" around the question!

badger 7 years, 1 month ago

Yes, I took dancing lessons.

No, it wasn't pretty. Dancing badgers look every bit as ludicrous as they sound.

Now, I only dance for mushrooms.

dajudge 7 years, 1 month ago

Well, now that you mention it, Elaine(Seinfeld), and I partnered up for the Dancing with the Stars and got turned away, because the judges said there would be no contest if we were in the competition. And...a dingo ate your baby.

ms_canada 7 years, 1 month ago

Badger - pray tell, how does one dance for mushrooms? I am intrigued. Yes, I took dance lessons. When I first came to Edmonton, I was lonely, I knew no one in this city. Someone suggested dance lessons as a diversion. It was great. I learned to rumba, tango and samba. It was a lot of fun. But you know, when you dance, you need a partner and I did not find that partner. So, although it was fun taking the lessons, it did me no good for the future. When my husband heard he had to dance at our wedding reception, he nearly called the whole thing off. When I was a teenager, I just loved going to dances and at that time, it was a popular thing to do. I loved the country dances with the square dance, polka and schotish. I could dance till I dropped. I also liked to jitterbug or jive. Now it is only in my memories. Ah, such is life. True?

Linda Aikins 7 years, 1 month ago

Oh my heavens no. I dance like Consumer1. And I was a cheerleader! What a disgrace!

Unless there is a pole involved--then I come around.

Confrontation 7 years, 1 month ago

We were forced to practice square dancing in 6th grade. Other than the music being horrible, we also didn't like dancing with some of the "gross" kids in class.

"Now, head go forward up to the middle and back, go forward again, dosado your partner, round and round, and I'm just sittin' back sittin' here lovin' you!." No wonder we hated it!

coolmom 7 years, 1 month ago

my insurance wouldnt cover the potential damage to property, self and others.

sigerson 7 years, 1 month ago

Yes. It was 1978. Disco classes. I had a lime-green leisure suit.

I was one of God's frozen people.

In my defense...

Can't think of a damn thing, except that it was 29 years ago and I haven't repeated my mistake.

bevy 7 years, 1 month ago

Glad to know that I'm not the only one they have bitten! I was beginning to think I'd lost my mind. I'm gonna try the vacuum cleaner.

Amy Heeter 7 years, 1 month ago

2 November 2007 at 2:44 p.m.

Suggest removal

Permalink sigerson (Anonymous) says:

Yes. It was 1978. Disco classes. I had a lime-green leisure suit.

God I love lime green leisure suits:)

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

Um, no. But I danced on "poms" in highschool. Does that count?

RI, when you are done, can you come over here and get rid of my ladybugs too? They are swarming all over the south side of my house. My nice white garage door is now a really ugly moving orangy-yellow. (And they smell bad if you catch them...they lay a stinky funk on you!)

budwhysir 7 years, 1 month ago

I took a dance class that was taught by myself in the comfort of my own living room one time. I was so good at ballroom dancing, I didnt have to pay for extra classes. I also enjoy break dancing on the weekends for extra spending money

sigerson 7 years, 1 month ago

artichokeheart said:

God I love lime green leisure suits:)

Fashion runs in cycles. The leisure suit may make a comeback. If only I hadn't sent the damn thing to Goodwill...

Disco may make a comeback, too, but it will have to do it without me this time.

Amy Heeter 7 years, 1 month ago

It takes a "Real Man" to carry off a green leisure suit. That makes you the bomb.

GretchenJP 7 years, 1 month ago

Just the horizontal mamba baby! Bow chicka bow bow.

Hey! Leave the ladybugs alone.