Previous   Next

Did your parents limit the amount of Halloween candy you ate?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 1, 2007

Browse the archives

“My mom stole a lot of it, but she didn’t really limit how much I could have.”

“Yeah, they rationed it out for me, and sometimes they had to even out my two younger brothers’ supplies with mine. That wasn’t cool.”

“Yeah, mine totally did. They let me go to town and eat as much as I wanted so I would get sick. Then they would always remind me about that one time.”

“Never. I had pretty crazy parents. They didn’t care about cavities.”

Comments

manyblessings 6 years, 5 months ago

We ate as much as we liked and usually polished it all off in a couple of days. Whenever my children are given candy I let them eat as much as they like in the hopes that it will be out of the house as soon as possible and that they will be sick of it for awhile.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

VIRGINIA, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except [what] they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, VIRGINIA, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no VIRGINIAS. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if they did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, VIRGINIA, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

"DEAR EDITOR: I am 8 years old. "Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus. "Papa says, 'If you see it in THE SUN it's so.' "Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?

"VIRGINIA O'HANLON. "115 WEST NINETY-FIFTH STREET."

pace 6 years, 5 months ago

One year my sister scoped out neighborhoods and drove us cute little kids around, we made out like bandits, huge amount of goodies. Mrs. Ellis always made popcorn balls, Mrs Pendleton made candy apples, My Dad confiscated all the licorice. My brother's stash would last for a month, I would eat all the chocolate and sweet tarts and my big sister could be bribed to give a ride somewhere for about 5 pieces of candy. Times were good.

coolmom 6 years, 5 months ago

i had 132 trick or treaters last night. my older teens handed out candy and terrorized some of them i think. i let the kids eat as much as they want for the night and then a couple pieces a day for a week then is dissappears. my parents let us six kids eat as much as we could for one night and then confinscated it to never be seen again.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

Limitations? Never! Mom let us scarf down...our lesson to learn if we made ourselves sick. We did, however, stop eating candy in the dark as we were porch hopping as one year a neighbor gave us some candybars with peanuts that were wormy! (I still can't eat a Payday.) :o$

ms_canada 6 years, 5 months ago

Snap - bears might have been the problem. But I think ceallach has it right. I know of several churches who have gotten together to put on really great parties for youngsters. We have in a community near Edmonton that has a huge wonderful sports complex with ice rinks, roller rinks, two pools and other stuff. Four churches in the area rented the whole complex and through one gigantic party. I heard it was a huge success. Our church did one for our kids also. Anybody want 90 chocolate bars???? Free.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

thanks Gootsi and Ceal.

there ought to be some good in that horrible situation.

Jonathan_Jason_McDaniels 6 years, 5 months ago

3of 5...where did you grow up?--And when?

I remember being told back in the 70's not to eat anything that didn't have a wrapper on it (like apples).

And even with wrapped candy we were told to check the wrapper first before opening it.

There have been freaks and sickos among us for a looooooooooooooong time now, 3of 5!

A long time!

However, I will say this.....back then we kids went trick-or-treating without parental supervision......which I would never allow today! It does seem like in today's world there are a lot more child abductors/molesters out and about.---Or at the very least, they seem to be much more bold and daring than they used to be!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

b_g, Cynical? Me, myself, and I? Nah....

Sinterklaas comes in 36 days...

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 5 months ago

"were different back then; no razor blades in the apples, no drugs used in the food, unless some prankster made brownies with marijuana in them."

Huh?

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

Ms_C, was there an unusually large number of bears around last night?

Ceallach 6 years, 5 months ago

Nah, I have seven siblings, my parents were not into restrictions :)

ms_c: many parents are opting to take their children to malls, parties, stores, etc. I don't know if it is from concern (not knowing their neighbors) or just for convenience.

Thanks, gnome. I've been away and haven't had a chance to catch up on what's going on with that case. You and Yellow_Rose keep up the good work!

ms_canada 6 years, 5 months ago

I totally hate Halloween. Totally. We are having a most wonderful autumn here. Warm sunny days. So, stupid me, I thought, hundreds of trick or treaters. So I bought a box of 100 bars.
There are now 90 bars in that box and that is only because I ate two of them. I was floored. Where the heck were all the kids. In past years, even on snowy nights we would get at least 50 kids being driven around by mom. There is something very mysterious going on here.

Gootsie 6 years, 5 months ago

gnome shoots and scores. Thanks bg.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

please indulge me in an off-topic post below regarding the Matthew Jaeger case, the terribly violent attack three weeks ago: dear Reader or my fellow LJW poster, If you were wishing to express support for Jaeger's victim, or send something for her comfort and assistance, I now have a way for us to do that.

Send to:

Gadugi Faith Center/Rape victim Survivor service 2518 Ridge ct. Lawrence, KS 66046

Make your check out to the Gadugi Center, and either in the memo field of the check, or on the envelope, write "Jaeger case" and I am assured every cent will go to the victim's assistance.

I want to add that this is an appeal organized just by LJW posters, 'theeleventhstephanie' and me. Jaeger's victim represents many unreported victims of sexual violence who are also assisted by this very good organization. Gadugi Center is looking for additional support. This organization would also benefit from an unrestricted gift, too if you choose. Mrs. Gnome and I will be enclosing two checks in our envelope, one marked "Jaeger case" and the other unrestricted.

Jaeger's victim certainly deserves all the support we can muster after the things which she has suffered. /gnome

Pywacket 6 years, 5 months ago

I must take issue with 3of5's comment that, "Things were different then. No razor blades in apples... no drugs in the food..." In truth, children are no more likely to find deadly or injurious things in their trick-or-treat bags in 2007 than they were in 1947, '67, '87, etc...

Again and again has it been reported that the whole "razor blade in the apple" scare (which reached its height in the 80s) was largely urban legend, but people still act like every other house in their town is inhabited by psychopaths--and that trick-or-treat was much safer back in some filmy golden age when human nature was sweet and innocent. Malarkey.

If any psychopaths are to be found, it would be the occasional parent who fueled the fears by putting needles or blades in their own children's apples, for pathological reasons such as a desire to gain publicity--or to actually harm their own children and pass the blame off on "evil strangers."

You can access lots sources to learn more about this subject. Here's what Snope's has to say about it: http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/needles.asp

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

Oldfashionedgirl, go back to the medical Mecca if you can, they're great they're wonderful. I'm alive and walking around because of them, and two stays there in '97.

nowandthen 6 years, 5 months ago

When my dad would take my brothers, my sister, and myself out for Halloween he would have to bring two trash bags in order for us to carry all of the candy home. We had piles of it, and it was good. :)

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

R.I.: you are a cynical man living in age of cynical people. yes, R.I. there really is a Great Pumpkin, just as there are lepricons (sp?) for how would be if we lost the ability to imagine greater things than what we see?

yes, R.I. there is a Great Pumpkin.

answer the damned question: no. before I was 10, we lived in the city, lots of houses to trick-or-treat, lots of candy, and I was definitely the "bad child" who wanted all of it, and even resented mom or dad picking through it! "hey! that's mine!"

Gootsie 6 years, 5 months ago

R_I, you have more imagination than Britney Spears. I'm impressed!

No candy quarantine in my house. We went for it.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

T_O_B, Kinda-sorta...

The year was 1976. It was Halloween night. I stayed out all night waiting for "The Great Pumpkin" to come. I had hunkered down in the nearest pumpkin patch I could find, shivering in the dark night as a cold damp wind blew. The moon was just past half full, but I could not see much as the clouds obscured most of the reflected sunlight from the other side of the world. I was determined to stay the course and complete my quest. An eternity passed when I was startled by the sound of crunching footsteps, my fingers were so cold that I could not switch on my electric torch. A slight shadow was cast by an overly round and squat figure, immersing me in total darkness. "What the hell are you doing in my garden?" boomed the a voice from the figure. As I began to tell my story, the clouds evaporated that were blocking the moon, and I was able to see an elderly man. He was a widower, and his deceased wife had started the pumpkin patch, when he couldn't sleep he would walk about the garden and talk with her. Anyway, we sat on his back porch talking, and he shared his flask with me. I learned more than a few things that night. Among them; "The Great Pumpkin" does not exist, and don't come home polluted at 3 in the morning.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 5 months ago

Does "non-stop sugar high since 1975" answer the question?

trinity 6 years, 5 months ago

lol, mama may have tried to limit the intake of halloween goodies-but, never was really too successful! :)

mom_of_three 6 years, 5 months ago

My mom only let us trick or treat until 7th grade, and we were only out a short time. Then she would look at it, and take out anything that looked....suspicious. By the time we gave her things we didn't like, there might not be a lot left. And of course, if we got it from the neighbors, there was no questions about it. She just told us not to make ourselves sick.

number3of5 6 years, 5 months ago

As a parent, I did not limit the amount of candy my children could consume on Halloween night. We lived in the country and many of the neighbors gave the children apples, popcorn balls, and cupcakes. Things were different back then; no razor blades in the apples, no drugs used in the food, unless some prankster made brownies with marijuana in them. My neighbors were all older people and were delighted to have my children come around on Halloween because they were the only ones who did trick or treat in the neighborhood. Other people took their children to Lawrence so they could get more candy. On Easter their candy would last until Christmas because they did not eat until they got sick. They saved.

Crossfire 6 years, 5 months ago

I had a paperless Halloween too.

Crossfire 6 years, 5 months ago

I had a corn snake named Candy. Hope she was tasty H.

oldfashiongirl 6 years, 5 months ago

As to Halloween, I did not have even one trick or treater-3rd year in a row. I live in an isolated cul de sac area formerly part of a large farm and houses are far apart. I'll give my candy I bought to my brother, who is skinny as a rail.

I wanted to comment on Tuesday, Oct. 30th question "do you prefer paperless transactions?" I was again at Mayo Clinic and just got back after another treatment. They want to see me monthly, to which I replied, "Yeah, when you start making house calls to western Kentucky." Anyway, davidnta, I like your ideas. I also keep books on myself using Quickbooks and have been doing this since 1958, when I lived in Rotterdam. My son, who used to laugh at me for keeping track of all my expenses, now does the same thing. I was about to throw away a receipt when he stopped me and said he hadn't recorded that yet. Good boy!!

This idea has been floating around in my mind forever. If I plunk down $30 cash for a tank of gas I feel I should be given at least a 3% discount for cash, whereas if I use my Discover card the gas dealer has, I believe, 5-1/2% deducted from his credit card sales reimbursements. Even doctors' offices now accept credit card payments. I think that some of you energetic cash paying people should bombard department stores, gas stations, hotels, airlines, etc. to give a discount when cash is presented. It's only right. Let those who charge their cards to the max pay more, as we cash spenders don't get a cent. I did write some department stores back in the 70's, but no response.

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

So, then, was this a family activity, Lecter? Did you learn the ropes from mom and dad Lecters?

H_Lecter 6 years, 5 months ago

No, but I had to pick out a lot of bone and gristle from the "candy."