Previous   Next

How long has it been since you cleaned out your refrigerator?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 30, 2007

Browse the archives

“Probably about three months. It kind of gradually cleans itself out as I run out of food and don’t buy any more.”

“I just have a little minifridge, and I try to keep the contents minimal.”

“I cleaned out my refrigerator about three days ago because I’ve had some ant problems. I had some bad grapes and a lot of condiments without any food to go with them.”

“A long time ago. I don’t even remember when. I don’t keep a lot in it though, so it’s usually not that bad.”

Comments

Marion Lynn 6 years, 10 months ago

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....................

I opened the door on my fridge and something scurried into the darkness in the back so I presume that it is time to give it a workover.

I took a quick look and saw red eyes looking back at me so I may have to call in a priest for an exorcism first.

Thanks.

Marion.

acg 6 years, 10 months ago

sunny sue, your trivia game is making me insane. Some of them make no sense at all!! GRRRR!!!!

Pink_Sock 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm cleaning my personal fridge out soon, thanks Robert. As for the house fridge, I live w/ 9 other roommates and I say it needs to be scrubbed. Pretty nasty stuff in there.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 10 months ago

for those done cleaning the frige: http://www.gamershood.com/flashgames/2902
(I have yet to figure out question #42)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 10 months ago

I don't know if it is just my Norge, or if it is common to all electric iceboxes...

If the Norge is pushed too far back into it's alcove (by devil spawn door flinging?), the "frostless" beast freezes up because lack of airflow and does not keep the milk cool.

This necessitates a thorough cleaning. I put a spacer block behind the Norge, but someone recently removed it..:(

Gootsie 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm becoming paranoid. Why? Because they are coming. Yep, they are. The baking soda wranglers. Yep.

Good one, Nudist! As always!

coolmom 6 years, 10 months ago

every two weeks i wipe it out and throw stuff away. not to much of an issue since the teenagers keep it pretty scavenged and now that school is out it wont be a problem as the food barely makes it out of the bag to the fridge.

nudist 6 years, 10 months ago

Occasionally, I like to open the refrigerator and see if the honey and chocolate syrup are still fresh

acg 6 years, 10 months ago

Last weekend. I actually scrubbed the whole kitchen, inside the cabinets, too. The fridge is nearly brand new though so I try to wipe it out at least weekly so it doesn't look like the one we got rid of did at the end of its life.

Ceallach 6 years, 10 months ago

Side dishes? Hmm, reminds me, I haven't BBQ'd any ribs lately? Sounds good.

Every week or so on Wednesday evening (for the Thursday morning pick-up). Mainly those "to go" boxes, because I cannot bear to leave food at the restaurant. I prefer to bring it home, wait until it is thoroughly dried out, then throw it away :)

sunflower_sue 6 years, 10 months ago

You mean refrigerators need to be cleaned? Well, I guess I needed something to do today...

prospector 6 years, 10 months ago

Did anyone find this story in the back of the fridge or your LJW?

University of Kansas police are investigating calls someone made over the weekend, threatening to hurt a student and to blow up a building on the Lawrence campus.

Police Capt. Schuyler Bailey said authorities have identified a possible suspect and do not think the threat is credible.

Police said that between 2 and 2:30 a.m. Sunday, three calls were made to the cell phone of a male student living in Jayhawker Towers, the building targeted in the threat. Bailey would not say whether the suspect was known to the victim but did say that other residents of Jayhawker Towers were notified and that the investigation is continuing.

H_Lecter 6 years, 10 months ago

Switching from marinading to salt curing keeps the fridge much cleaner and leaves more space for side dishes.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 10 months ago

"To gut it and wipe everything down? about 6 months ago. Why? Who wants to know?" Gootsie

Someone hasn't cleaned out their fridge in awhile. No need to get panicky, Goots. The Frig Police won't bust down your door to check.

prospector 6 years, 10 months ago

Just a minute, I need to read some expiration dates. I can narrow it to a which decade. is that close enough?

sgtwolverine 6 years, 10 months ago

I think it's been a while. I've been too busy eating.

Pywacket 6 years, 10 months ago

Dracul wins so far..

I did a thorough, pull-out-the-glass-shelves-and-bleach-wipe-everything cleaning about 6 weeks ago, but try to keep things to a dull roar by throwing out all scary-looking contents every trash day.

Don't ask me about my pantry, which has become an out-of-sight, out-of-mind spot for everything from extra pots & pans to medical supplies.

Gootsie 6 years, 10 months ago

To gut it and wipe everything down? about 6 months ago. Why? Who wants to know?

Good one for Hannibal today!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 10 months ago

Gotta get one of them containment suits before I undertake that task.

Bill Chapman 6 years, 10 months ago

Food has gotten to expensive to throw away just because "it's out of date" or "it smells funny". I personally have my own personal anti-biotic fungal growth in my fridge. Whenever I get a sniffle, I just mix some into whatever food I'm currently making and the sniffle goes away. I keep it fed with leftovers - it seems to like those more than new stuff. It only occasionally asks for meat so my fungal food expenses are low. It sometimes even hands me stuff from the fridge, which saves me the time of opening the door to get stuff.

trinity 6 years, 10 months ago

can't afford food anymore so it stays pretty darn clean.

blue73harley 6 years, 10 months ago

The fridge in my workshop gets cleaned out of beer regularly.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 10 months ago

The spousal unit cleaned it out 5 days ago.