Previous   Next

Do you think Lawrence’s parking fines are too low?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 29, 2007

Browse the archives

“No, I think they’re too high. Two hundred pennies will not fit in the little yellow envelope. They need to either lower the fine or increase the size of said envelope.”

“No. I think it’s great that they’re affordable. It’s nice to know that if I go over that it’s not going to be that much, and there is always plenty of parking.”

“It’s probably too low if they really want to make it a deterrent.”

“No. No one wants to pay more. I think it’s enough.”

Comments

kujayhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

No, but I think our property taxes are too high.

Kat Christian 7 years, 7 months ago

It's just fine for the salaried paid in this town. Raise min wage before you raise the parking fines.

armyguy 7 years, 7 months ago

It's a $20.00 ticket if you don't feed the meters on campus and a tow job if you get too many tickets. All this for the low price of $1.00 per hour to park. The City could fund many roundabouts if they raise the rates to that of KU

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

No. Parking should be free. It just discourages me from shopping downtown. I'd rather go to Wal Mart where I know that if I want to sleep on the lot (in my car), it's OK! :)

aeroscout17 7 years, 7 months ago

Parking is free as long as you don't park on Mass. Check out the garages or parking lots off Mass. For those that abuse the privilege, yes they should have to pay more. C'mon folks, all you have to do is put a coin in the meter!

Linda Endicott 7 years, 7 months ago

Parking is free in Ottawa...kinda sorta...

We used to have all those nasty parking meters up and down Main St., but they took them out years ago.

We do have a time limit still, though...two hour parking in any city lot, or any space downtown. And if they find you've been there over two hours, you will still get a ticket.

I don't know how much it is, though, as I've never gotten one.

Will Babbit 7 years, 7 months ago

Parking isn't free in Ottowa, you pay a portion of your soul just for being there...

Linda Endicott 7 years, 7 months ago

Hey, now, no need to get nasty about other communities...

trinity 7 years, 7 months ago

i agree crazy-but willbabbitt's comment was kinda funny! ;)

Tristan Moody 7 years, 7 months ago

armyguy--

And you will be hard pressed to find a single KU student who actually LIKES the parking department. Working for them means KU students (and many faculty) hate you by default. KU can do that because people HAVE to park there. They live there, they work there, and they go to class there. Except for those who work downtown, most people can go somewhere else where they won't get an extra $20 added on to their day of shopping just for going 5 hours and 15 minutes instead of five hours. Do we really want to do that to downtown?

H_Lecter 7 years, 7 months ago

$1.00 fine is nothing. The penalty needs to be really painful. Why I think a couple of meter maids should show up with whips to extract the toll.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 7 months ago

I don't think you'd want to see some of the meter maids I've seen in Hooters uniforms...

thomgreen 7 years, 7 months ago

I agree with Will, $2 is too low to be a deterrent. $20 is too high. The fine should be high enough to be a deterrent, but not high enough that it is seen as a source of income.

blackwalnut 7 years, 7 months ago

$2 is just enough of a deterrent to make people careful, but not so much they won't want to come downtown.

If parking becomes a hassle or too expensive, people won't come downtown to shop.

I wonder how often someone went to the lot to move their car after 2 hours, and just decided to go home instead. And how would it help to move the car, anyway? The car would still be downtown taking up parking.

If they increase the fine, they should also increase the time limits on the free lots.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 7 months ago

I think it doesn't matter how high they are if you never get fined.

Also, parking is way too hard to find in downtown Ann Arbor. We are not familiar with this "always plenty of parking" concept up here.

I bet lots of people would come downtown if the city paid people to park!

minko224 7 years, 7 months ago

i don't think we should have parking fines. who first decided a person should be charged for parking somewhere in the first place? why don't i charge people who walk by my house on my sidewalk?

Joe Hyde 7 years, 7 months ago

A couple of weeks ago in downtown Kansas City, MO I was a couple minutes late getting back to my street-parked pickup. On my windshield was an overtime parking ticket. The fine? $28.50

I will now try as hard as I can to make that day be my last-ever visit to downtown KCMO. That place can rot for all I care.

minko224 7 years, 7 months ago

Thank you very kindly I shall begin at once!

minko224 7 years, 7 months ago

while we're at it lets charge for talking on here

Jaminrawk 7 years, 7 months ago

So, they are trying to deter people from parking downtown, because there aren't enough spaces, by raising the ticket? Wouldn't this only hurt downtown businesses?

Kat Christian 7 years, 7 months ago

Geezeeee what are you all looking for beating? Do you really need harsh punishment becuase you parked over a minute or didn't put a dime in the meter? Just seeing that envelop on my window makes me feel bad enough whether it $1.00 or $2.00. Besides I can't count the many times i've put money in the meter only to have to leave right away or not be able to stay for one reason or another. So I feel I've paid my dues. I dont' see where another increase will make it a better thing. Besides as I stated earlier people need to focus on raising the state min wage instead of out pricing the hourly workers in this town by raising everything you can think of.

Kat Christian 7 years, 7 months ago

parking fines make sense becuase you wouldn't want someone parking downtown all day and taking up spaces for shoppers, yet you don't want to discourage people from coming downtown for fear they will get a $10 or $20 ticket.

Tristan Moody 7 years, 7 months ago

Does this just smack of Yogi Berra to you?

Nobody goes downtown anymore. There's so many people there that there's nowhere to park!

SloMo 7 years, 7 months ago

Parking downtown should be FREE - in the BACK lots where parking IS free! Then, take all the parking spaces on Mass street between 6th and 11th street AWAY, except for some strategic handicapped spots, and extend the sidewalks out. Leave the two lanes for people to drive through downtown on Mass, just fill in the parking spaces with sidewalk.

Results: Reduce the traffic on Mass Street, accommodate pedestrians better where there is sidewalk seating, make the sidewalk seating more pleasant

Also, the city needs to exercise its right of imminent domain and take that blight "reserved for Allen Press" lot and create some public parking there. And run some small shuttle buses from the parking garage down Mass street.

roger_o_thornhill 7 years, 7 months ago

This is the hard-hitting kind of OTS that makes me think that World Corp. is missing the boat. I think OTS should become a TV show on Channel 6. I can picture it now...High energy music, quick cuts, and obnoxious, overblown models with mics asking the questions of the day. I'm already settin' my DVR.

Crossfire 7 years, 7 months ago

I think I'll do a Cool Hand Luke on them Evil Meter Heads. Then wait for the Black Leather Meter Maid....

Linda Endicott 7 years, 7 months ago

Well, for one thing, minko, if you tried to do that, you'd soon discover that, although you pay property taxes on the sidewalk and the yard, that any profits you make will go to the city...since they own the easement, you know.

I once had a weird guy who came by my house every day for a week, using his metal detector on my terrace. I called the cops, who said they could do nothing about it...since technically the city owns the easement, they wouldn't even come by and tell the guy to get out of my yard.

gccs14r 7 years, 7 months ago

The parking meter has an interesting history. To be perfectly legal, the meters must cover only the cost of enforcement. If they become a revenue stream, then technically they're leasing public space to the public, which isn't legal. As for the comment about leaving shortly after feeding a meter, be careful what you wish for. In some communities, they have meters with sensors that zero out the remaining time when you leave the space, meaning that the next person doesn't get to use what's left of your quarter to park.

buffalo_star 7 years, 7 months ago

i lived in ottawa once and the parking was fine but my soul is a little frayed around the edges

minko224 7 years, 7 months ago

i sink ve neet to confiscate ze overparkt carss zen sum torture technicues used vun after ze udder until zey cry UNCLEs zat voot be goot, no?

Wilbur_Nether 7 years, 7 months ago

sunflower_sue wrote: "I'd rather go to Wal Mart where I know that if I want to sleep on the lot (in my car), it's OK! :)"

That was you!?!??!!

matahari 7 years, 7 months ago

I saw the pharmacist at Round Corner digging in his pocket with one hand, ticket in the other hand just the other day, haha. Just how many years/tickets has that guy paid? He's only had Round Corner since at least before 1980! It did my soul some good to see that~granted that's the only time I have truly felt happy about anyone getting a ticket downtown (including myself)