Previous   Next

Are you interested in the idea of learning about other cultures?

Browse the archives

“Yes, because I like to learn about other people around the world.”

“Yeah. I’ve been to Japan and some other countries, and it’s fascinating to learn about how other people live.”

“Yes. I was born in India, so I’m always really interested to see how different other cultures across the world can be.”

“Yeah. I think it’s important to know how other people live so that you know there is so much variety in the world. Things don’t always have to happen a certain way. They can be done a different way in other cultures and achieve the same results.”

“Yeah. It’s exciting to learn about other cultures because you can learn about different things that Americans don’t do that you never knew existed.”

“Not really. I don’t have any particular reason. I’ve just never been that interested in it. Social studies aren’t really my thing.”

Comments

b3 6 years, 10 months ago

You mean there actually is a real world beyond my computer desk?!

Newell_Post 6 years, 11 months ago

Which kind of "culture" did you have in mind?

ms_canada 6 years, 11 months ago

Paladin - no need to apologize. If I did meet up with some of your kinfolks, I probably took the opportunity to learn something from them. There is something to be learned from almost anyone that one meets.

And George_B - thank you for the kind words.

paladin 6 years, 11 months ago

Yep, I reckon that Dolly 'd give a man all a the culture he'd ever need.

paladin 6 years, 11 months ago

Land sakes! Ya'll shore been round some. Ya might even a met up with some a ma kinfolk. Ifin ya did, I apologize.

Newell_Post 6 years, 11 months ago

I lived in East Tennessee for 5 years. Does that count? Sounds like paladin did too. ET was more foreign than UK, Belarus, or Germany. (Seriously.) There were days I couldn't tell if "ET" meant East Tennessee or Extra Terrestrial.

paladin 6 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, I knew that. I learnt it durin one a ma many trips abroad, a pestering folks in ferin countries. They took a likin ta me somethin fierce. They was awright, mind ya, mannerly an all, but weren't real clean.

George_Braziller 6 years, 11 months ago

I was responding to this one, not the one about yogurt!

"My good gracious, if more people were interested in other cultures I know that there would be less trouble and hatred in this world. "

George_Braziller 6 years, 11 months ago

Thank you ms_canada for a breath of intelligence and a relevant comment. The world needs more of you!

ms_canada 6 years, 11 months ago

paladin - sir, would you be at all interested to learn that the yogurt you seem to like is not an invention of any north american? It is something that developed in the deserts of the middle east and Africa. It was a way to preserve the milk of the goats and camels for a longer period of time than the milk itself in that hot climate.

paladin 6 years, 11 months ago

Nope. That there Cindy's right as rain. This here yogurt I'm a eatin is made right here in the good ole U S of A. Can't imagine them ferin cultures 'd make a better yogurt. I makes my own usin my Gramma's culture. Sometimes I add a little Jack, er alot. Fer as that other sense a the word, America ain't got none. Its all jest one big phony scam on top a scam on top a scam. Phony bologny. Ain't gonna cheat the grim reaper. We all gonna die. Might as well be the genuine article whilst we're here. An have some fun. An be nice ta each other, stead a puttin on airs an stickin our nosies up n the air at other folks ways an looks. Gramma had all a the culture, accully a site more, than any human bein likely'd need. Oh well, said me piece.

Linda Endicott 6 years, 11 months ago

Damn...it posted both of them...lol

Linda Endicott 6 years, 11 months ago

I've always been fascinated by other cultures and other countries.

In the fourth grade, my teacher had us do little reports on how countries around the world celebrate Christmas. I thought it was wonderful, and very interesting. (see a teacher try to do that now, though)

I've thought many times about learning other languages, though I know it's harder once you reach adulthood.

Linda Endicott 6 years, 11 months ago

I've always been fascinated by other cultures and other countries.

In the fourth grade, my teacher had us do little reports one year on how countries around the world celebrate Christmas. I thought it was wonderful, and very interesting. (see a teacher try to do that now, though)

Roadkill_Rob 6 years, 11 months ago

It sounds like Cindy is a future neo-con.

ms_canada 6 years, 11 months ago

My good gracious, if more people were interested in other cultures I know that there would be less trouble and hatred in this world. I believe that the trouble in the middle east is caused by the west not knowing bugger all about what makes the eastern people tick. We are so set on bringing them democracy. Did we ever ask them if they wanted our rotten democracy? Democracy to them means greed, grasping for the ever lovin' dollar, violence on TV and movies, half naked women flaunting themselves in public, pregnancy outside of marriage, openly gay people, shall I go on. Who the he## do we think we are that we have to push our decadence on to others across the seas. We are arrogant, opinionated and self absorbed. I study all, that is all the time to learn about other cultures and I learn some doggone neat stuff about other people in the world. Why, heck, I even made a trip down to Lawrence to learn some neat stuff about the people who live on the central plain of America and it was just great. :o) ;o)

I have travelled a lot in all parts of the world except the far east and middle east. I'm not sure if Morocco and Turkey count as middle east. Been to S. America, Central America, the UK, Ireland, several countries in Europe and boy it was great to see how others live and to learn what they hold dear. Been to a lot of US states also. I really don't want to brag by telling this, just want to show that I have seen what wonderful things there are in other cultures and consider myself so very blessed to have had that privilege. And people like Cindy, above, don't know what they are throwing away with that attitude.

minko224 6 years, 11 months ago

sure, i like all kinds of food

bobberboy 6 years, 11 months ago

It would be great as long as it's not a muslim country. I like to have a beer occasionally and I like having a few other modest freedoms - so the middle east is out of the question - unless it's maybe Lebanon (I'd stay out of the Ghetto though) or Israel.

OZ 6 years, 11 months ago

29 May 2007 at 1:21 p.m.

Suggest removal

Permalink gl0ck0wnr (Anonymous) says:

These poll questions are not nearly mundane enough. +++

However, your posts are still the pinnacle of banality and unsophisticated, sophomoric sarcasm. . . Shouldn't you be at a NRA meeting, telling people that more guns in schools is a good idea? . . .

gl0ck0wnr 6 years, 11 months ago

These poll questions are not nearly mundane enough.

scenebooster 6 years, 11 months ago

"Are you interested in the idea of learning about other cultures?"

Now why in the hell should I care? American Idol is on.

marquisdesade 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm sure cindy will be fine. It may be she has more important issues on her mind currently lik the GAP store. Give her time.

OZ 6 years, 11 months ago

. . . "Not really. I don't have any particular reason. I've just never been that interested in it. Social studies aren't really my thing."

• Cindy Dunham, freshman, SWJHS"

A xenophobe in training and soon to be republiSCUM, no doubt. . . . . . . Remember Cindy, "Jesus" is a foreigner with a different culture. . . . . . .

George_Braziller 6 years, 11 months ago

I hope that Cindy's disinterest in the world around her outside her own backyard is only a reflection of her youth. There are so many fascinating and intellectually stimulating things that you can learn from cultures different from your own. Opening your eyes to the world around you is the only preventative medicine for narrow mindedness.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 11 months ago

Curiosity is something that most people have when they are born. I think it's sad that Cindy has lost hers.

Kat Christian 6 years, 11 months ago

I think we can learn about about ourselves and they way we treat people from learning about other cultures.