Previous   Next

Do you think people are losing sight of the purpose of Memorial Day?

Asked at Hastings, 1900 W. 23rd St. on May 28, 2007

Browse the archives

“Absolutely. Over the generations, I think people are losing focus on what happened in the past. I think they’re losing respect for what previous generations fought and died for and losing respect for the U.S. itself.”

“Yes, I do. I think the younger generation is busier and more self-involved. I think the past just means more to the older generation.”

“I guess so. I think if people were truly focused on Memorial Day and what it means, they would be up in arms about Congress giving Bush a blank check to continue the war.”

“I think it’s too busy of a world for most people, but I know a lot of people who get the day off who don’t celebrate it as much as they should.”

Comments

mom_of_three 6 years, 10 months ago

If I am able to go to my hometown, I go with my mother and grandmother to my grandpa's, great grandparents, uncle and step-brother's graves to honor them. My uncle and grandpa did serve in the armed forces (uncle - navy, 20 years, retiring in 1982;grandpa WW2). After a visit to the cemetery, then we have a family reunion and talk about old times.
I wasn't able to go home this year, but I thought about them all weekend.
My husband's great grandfather was a WWI vet, buried in St. Joe. We weren't able to make it there this year, but have in the past to decorate his grave.

perkins 6 years, 10 months ago

My family tradition is what crazyks described: decorating the graves of deceased loved ones whether in the military or not. This has always been our family's tradition, unchanged since my birth in the 1950's anyway.

Linda Endicott 6 years, 10 months ago

I still hate it that all the major holidays were transplanted to Mondays. The only holiday that was originally on Mon. to begin with was Labor Day.

And now Lincoln and Washington don't even get their own separate days. They have to lump them both together under "President's Day".

Remember when Memorial Day used to be May 30, no matter what day of the week it was?

pelliott 6 years, 10 months ago

I have asked my husband to put a small pond by my grave and on memorial day bring those little toy boats and people can push those buttons and jet the boats around. He can tell the kids they are going to the lake. I couldn't stand to go to a lake and be inmeshed with a mob. I hope they have fun. I wish all those that gave so much could be remembered in the house and senate when veteran and family benefits are voted on.

Ragingbear 6 years, 10 months ago

Let's just get around to renaming the holidays for what they really are.

Memorial Day, President's Day, Labor Day, etc.- Renamed to "Three Day Weekend".

July 4th: Fireworks

Dec 25th: Presents

December 31st- Drinking

Jan 1st- Hangover

Easter Sunday: Sugar and Preaching

Just do that with all the holidays, because that is all they are.

ms_canada 6 years, 10 months ago

So now there is a Mr_canada on the street. How do you like that. I could not find his post but he sent me a message via LJW. Did anybody see his post? I have been a way for 3 days.

riverrat2 6 years, 10 months ago

I'm saddened by the lack of American flags flown from homes. Any serviceman will tell you that our flag is what it is all about. Displaying the American flag today shows you care and that you have not forgotten. It's about respect and rememberance.

Have a nice day today. It's not too late to put out your flag.

Kat Christian 6 years, 10 months ago

Yes I do. I agree with Kent and Babboy and let me expand this. We are too busy and when a special holiday like this comes around we are self-absorbed about it. We are forced to work so much there is little time for quality time with our families and friends to involve ourselves in things that would and could serve to improve life. I've been saying for years the work week should be shortened to 6 hour days or 4 day work weeks with 3 day weekends earning the same salary level. We spend way too much time at our jobs or communting. By the time we get home most are too tired to get involved with community service, help kids with homework or clean the garage much less. We eat supper and plop ourselves in from of the tube or computer with just about enough energy for that. When holidays come around who wants to celebrate planned ceremonies (another control of our time). I know if I worked less I'd involve myself in volunteering and other community events. I'm too tired and stressed to stretch myself any further and so are most people. Everything should be closed today and people should be reflecting how this holiday came about. On this day however I remember my finance' and his commorades who died in Viet Nam. I also remember the brave men of WW II who liberated the Jews from the camps and of the ordeal they had to suffer by the hands of the Nazi. Memorial day is a day to reflect on those who fought for this country on foreign soil. Let's not forget that.

Linda Endicott 6 years, 10 months ago

I for one have always celebrated Memorial Day as a way to honor the memory of my loved ones who are gone...all my loved ones, not just the ones who were in the military.

I think that's what the day has come to mean for a lot of people.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 10 months ago

Lets see.... Memorial day... The Indy 500 since 1911, an official holiday in 1968?

paladin 6 years, 10 months ago

Don't ferget Buyin Chinese crap an Barterin the souls a yer younguns. I went out t'other day ta fix a leaky pipe in the basement a this retired vet I know. You know, a doc fer animals. But, he's also a vet of the Nam, retired as a colonel in the reserves. Kind of a vet vet. Anywho, down in the basement, there up on a couple a sawhorses sits his latest woodworkin project. I sees it ans a taken aback somewhat. I says, "What in tarnation is that, yer coffin?" An he says sure. And perceeds ta a showin it ta me. A tellin me about all the parts a the thing, all made outta different kinds a wood. Special kinds from lots a different places in the world. Places he'd been overseas. Well now, it was a thing a beuty, it was fer sure. I ast him how it felt, how'd he feel when he was actully a workin on the thing and he said he felt thankful an he felt proud an he felt he done did somethin that had meanin fer him more than most anathin else he could think of. An I said, OK ain't nothin wrong with that. Fixed the leaky pipe an got the hell outta there. Fer ta tell the truth, it creeped me out some.

Pink_Sock 6 years, 10 months ago

I remember what the holiday signifies and I do honor the ones that lost their lives during battle. I also want to honor all of my Native American ancestors that lost their lives while defending our great land.

Bladerunner 6 years, 10 months ago

All of my ancestors are still alive which leaves me plenty of time for the 4 B's. Boating Beer BBQ Basket weaving (or babes) I forget which.

paladin 6 years, 10 months ago

Maybe, probly. Don't know bout most a the peoples er even some a the peoples, but I bettcha all a them kids that's been killed ans a gettin killed over thar in Iraq has lost site of it, an everthin else in the bargain. An fer no good reason, ceptin ta make some fat cats fatter. Don't take no genius ta figur out they been used and used up bad. Sos ya'll kin help yerself ta the pleasure a goin out an havin a picnic with yer families. Hope ya know what that pleasure done cost. Patriots done lost there way. That there Congress is prettinear all corrupt. Not much hope there. Up ta reglar folks ta set things right. Them that ain't lost there site an knows what's what. I done went off an fought fer no good reason. Everbody pretty much agreed on that. An were a doin it agin. May God furgive us. An may He bless those that's died. An may we the people, dumb an stubburn an slow ta learn as we are, not ferget em none.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 10 months ago

Probably. But I think Memorial Day is not alone in that regard; many notable days endure that problem. Labor Day is a good example of this.

Also, consider this: eventually, 11 September will garner as much as attention as 07 December does now. (Very little.) I can't help but think that this sort of thing is just inevitable. Often unfortunate, but inevitable.

BABBOY 6 years, 10 months ago

I thought the comment made by Kent was right on the mark. A lot of people just see this as a three day weekend. Happy Memorial Day everyone!

Crossfire 6 years, 10 months ago

Heck no... As far as I can see every body is headed to the lake with beer a barbeque... Thats what it's all about right.