Previous   Next

What do you think of the new downtown sculptures?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 26, 2007

Browse the archives

“There are a few that I really like that are more abstract and geometric. They’re there and pleasant to look at without drawing too much attention.”

“I think they’re definitely unique and different than any sculptures I’ve ever seen. I really like the prayer booth - that’s my favorite.”

“I think that in general they’re more aesthetic and less rusty than the previous batch.”

“I have had the tendency to pass by the sculptures as unremarkable. However, this year some have stood out to me; particularly the dangerous looking wooden one in South Park.”

Comments

paladin 8 years, 2 months ago

It art what it art. I b'lieve I perfer the real things that the art is spose ta stand fer. Like, nature. But, whata I know? I'm a plumber, not a artifacter er a conisewer.

Nick Yoho 8 years, 2 months ago

Creative people must be stopped!!!!

Seriously,I like the wood/timber piece in the park.It reminds me of Christos work.(remember the gold wrapped sidewalk in KC a few tears back?-him)

I haven't seen the rest yet.

Gramma Layton ,revisited at the Arts center? if not ,its coming soon.

you boys might like her better,she drew pictures of hereself and objects.You can tell what they're s'posed to be too! Peace

paladin 8 years, 2 months ago

Poignant. Heard that there word on the TV. Thought I'd use er. Looks like piles a junk ta me, as well. Don't ya know. Erstwhile. But, I'm jest a.........oh yeah, a plumber.

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

Y'all are right! There is too much art in the world. What is needed is more concrete and buildings without windows. What is the point of pondering the beauty found in abstract forms? Life sucks and Wal-Mart is the greatest place ever! Less Art! Less Art! Less Art! (boo hoo, boo hoo)

denak 8 years, 2 months ago

When the Eiffel Tower was built, most Parisians were horrified. They thought it was a huge mess. Now, it is considered one of the great works of art in the world.

So who knows, the sculptures could grow on us.

May Soo 8 years, 2 months ago

Just a bunch of crap. The city needs to quit wasting money on junks.

paladin 8 years, 2 months ago

Art for art's sake. Don't make no sense ta me. Myself, I like cake art. Like them fancy party cakes ya kin by at the Hy-Vee. Now, that kinda art I kin appreciate. And the youngens likes it, too.

latinlab 8 years, 2 months ago

Prayer booth rocks. Denak: The Eiffel tower is still a horrible thing to Parisians. It's just that it gets so much attention that foreigners think that Parisians like it. And no it's not considered one of the greatest art pieces in the world. Who considers that it is? Ask any Parisian and they'll let you know.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Haven't seen it yet, but I'm sure I will like discovering it when I'm afoot downtown. I like the fact that Lawrence does temporary installments downtown. Every year, there is something new to ponder over.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

Honestly, I find it hard to criticize those who look at abstract art and see piles of junk. When you create something abstract, you're opening yourself to the possibility that people will just see random piles of material. And when there is little or no visible connection to some real-world place or object to which most people can relate, I think many people will lean toward seeing random piles of material; even though it seems to be open to wide interpretation, I think abstract art is actually very much esoteric.

So I think it would be good for Lawrence to include a substantial dose of more relatable art to go with the abstract forms. That may help broaden the appeal a bit, and I think it would give the display more depth.

pelliott 8 years, 2 months ago

i really like it , I think it is a good year. That fish or bird thing near the river on Mass is cool. I like the idea of the mob and torches thing too. kind of an event art. We could tie up nasty old crumedgeons who have traded their soul for complaining and tickle their feet with the torches. Meet you at midnight.

paladin 8 years, 2 months ago

Now, don't be a goin an doin that. You'd be back in the hoosegow again.

pleased 8 years, 2 months ago

Art is the place where humanity advances. Expreimenting with material is what founded the argicultural revolution and the industrial revolution. Imagination is what put our wonderful nation in the leading position. Cultivate your mind and the world will flower. This art is a blessing. .

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Went and saw the slideshow. I think the art looks good. I love Jan's piece. I think, overall, this year's installments are better than past years. I'm going to guesstimate that the overall cost is somewhere around $10,000 ($750 to each of the 8 artists and the cost of installment)...not all of which the city pays. I think that is very reasonable.

4th grader, did your momma not let you fingerpaint or something? So bitter!

justsomewench 8 years, 2 months ago

" What is needed is more concrete and buildings without windows."

Rockhill just might agree with ya.

paladin 8 years, 2 months ago

Bought a little bronze Eyeful Tower and a little bronze Statue of Liberty once on one a my trips to New York City. Thems jest two a my various objicts de art. Got em on my dresser top and appreciate em ever day. Wouldn't say they was butiful, but they're pretty dang neat.

Jackalope 8 years, 2 months ago

I've posted this before, but, given recent events, if these sculpture were in Topeka somebody would call the bomb squad to investigate what they really are or what they are for.

gccs14r 8 years, 2 months ago

The arts have always been sponsored by government. Public art is one of the things that makes a city livable and its inhabitants appear to be educated. If you want to live somewhere that doesn't spend any public money on aesthetics, there's always Billtown or Perry. Take the Wal-Mart with you.

paladin 8 years, 2 months ago

The City govment paid me a sum a money ta paint some paint by number works that I do, jest fer therapy, mind ya, ta hang in the town hall here in Freeburg. I told em I didn't want anathin fer em, but the mayer hit me upside the head with a spitoon an a made me take it. I took an donated it to the veterans up at the veterans home, sos they could buy some smokes. I reckon the mayer an his bunch thought those there paintins'd make em look like they was edycated. Personally, I don't think it helped none too much. Ya are what ya are, whether there's fancy, pricey stuff all around ya er not. None a that there don't make ya who ya are, jest makes other folks think yer somebody yer not. Don't think it really fools em much fer long.