Previous   Next

Do you think women who work outside the home have longer-lasting marriages?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 23, 2007

Browse the archives

“I think it could work both ways. Sometimes I think they can get stressed out with problems from outside the home and bring them back home, but then again guys do the same thing. I don’t really think it’s a deciding factor.”

“Yes, absolutely. Some marriages fail because the husband can’t provide enough money for the family. When the wife is working, she is helping to increase the family income and the health of the marriage.”

“I would say that if a woman’s passion is working outside of the home, then it would make her happier in the long run. And if she has a supportive spouse, then sure, why not?”

“I would say ‘yes’ just because I would think that they would feel more satisfied and happier with their relationship if they can get out of the house and accomplish their goals at work.”

Comments

dminear60 7 years, 7 months ago

Flip the question around...Does a man who works outside the home have a longer lasting marriage? Sounds silly, does it not?

canyon_wren 7 years, 7 months ago

It certainly depends upon the individual personalities involved. I think wives who don't work outside the home often feel isolated and are too dependent upon their husbands for emotional and social support. They also have no concept of what a drag a job can be for a man, as well. Many wives think that a husband's job is glamorous and stimulating and that isn't always the case.

On the other hand, it seems to me that when both work full-time, the home often becomes little more than a very expensive motel. I have always found "home management" to be far more satisfying than any full-time job I have had, and with two college degrees and putting my husband through graduate school, I have had some very nice and interesting ones. I am sure if a woman has trained for a professional career of some sort, she can find real satisfaction in that, but to spend one's energies and creativity in a mundane office job serving someone else is a waste of a good life, in my opinion--and life is so short. But I have so many things that interest me at home, and I know many women don't feel that way. I definitely think that women need regular outside contacts and experiences for good emotional health and stimulation.

trinity 7 years, 7 months ago

this has got to be one of the most moronic questions posed lately on ots. and i sure can't wait to see what ya's have to say! :)

Flap Doodle 7 years, 7 months ago

Longer lasting marriages than mayflies? Than trumpter swans?

lunacydetector 7 years, 7 months ago

i predict a future study will be conducted saying this study was wrong. for one thing, the study should've been performed by a man and not a woman. after all, women in general, stick together. it's that sisterhood thing.

why do women initiate 2/3 of all divorces? because women are emotional and it's easy to do. of course, if they are working outside of the home instead of taking care of babies, they will justify their actions by having one of their own releasing a study supporting their view. however, the article didn't give numbers to support this report's findings.

trolling for the heck of it. have a great day!

beatrice 7 years, 7 months ago

lunacy: "if women never entered the workforce, wouldn't men be making much more money since they would be assuming the roles of both sexes in the workforce?" And may you also assume the role of both sexes when I respectfully tell you to go **** yourself!

This question is beyond annoying. Let the bashing begin.

cms 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm dying to know how many people on the street just walked away, or asked why even ask this ridiculous question?

beatrice 7 years, 7 months ago

tob, I know. I just liked the idea of telling him to play the role of both sexes. That is why I added "respectfully" to the sentence. But the question remains beyond annoying.

new question: If you could choose any destination for a vacation and money was no concern where would you choose, and why? Today, I choose Australia, because it is so far away and has many, many miles of beaches.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 7 months ago

I've long wanted to visit Australia because I like to be around marsupials. Oh, yeah, & Broken Hill beer is pretty good also.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

Asinine OTS ?!

Destination: Right now, my oldest wants to go to Rome. She is really hooked on all things ancient and Roman at the moment so if money were no object, I'd take her there.

ms_canada 7 years, 7 months ago

TOB - the Rockies are totally grand and you know what, my house is just 4 hours east of Jasper. The highway between Banff and Jasper is totally awesome. Lake Louise, wow!!!!! Forget Australia, and the question also included money being no object. :o)

trinity 7 years, 7 months ago

new, better question (destination);

some really remote non-touristy place in the bahamas, caribbean, or whatever that has gorgeous beaches, clear water, and kick-a$$ cabins! oh and purty cabana boys, too! :) i think my darlin' man&i would likely never come back...

sgtwolverine 7 years, 7 months ago

I would go to the U.K. I would love to go back.

I would also like to go to Brazil, mainly because a good friend of mine is working there.

samsnewplace 7 years, 7 months ago

23 May 2007 at 9:08 a.m. beatrice (Anonymous) says: (partial only) "why do women initiate 2/3 of all divorces?" Simple. Because they are married to men.

Amen! But the question comes to "do you think women who work outside the home have longer lasting marriages?" Are there options these day? My mom stayed home and raised kids, all my neighbors moms were home but one but then hey, I grew up in the 60's/70's and that was the norm. Dad's could earn enough to provide for their families, today's world is a whole new ball game and those that have the priviledge of being home are usually running a daycare and those women work. Very, very few can be home and make it on one salary and daddy must have a great job in order to do this. Very stupid question for the "average" American anymore as it no longer is an option to stay home and raise your children without some other type of income or dad's working two jobs and never being home. When dad's are gone all the time, do you have longer lasting marriages.......I think not.

beatrice 7 years, 7 months ago

New question -- What would you do for a Konakee Beer?

Linda Aikins 7 years, 7 months ago

I'll just tag along with TOB. The hubster and I have been wanting to do a train ride across Canada, but riding in the back of TOB's SUV will DO.

TOB, I'm going to class reunion this weekend and will be driving by the 'berg. Most likely wiping tears too.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

On the Greensburg front...we know that there are many great adults out there, doing their part to help out a devistated community. But I want to take a minute and give a nod to the kids. My daughter's 4H group decided they would pay for a Greensburg kid to go to camp in a couple weeks. The kids in my other daughter's school are all dipping into their piggy banks to buy school supplies to ship to Greensburg. I'm sure this is happening all over KS...and maybe elsewhere. So, here's to kids looking out for other kids. Klondike bars for everybody! And Konakee beer (for those over 21)! :)

paladin 7 years, 7 months ago

I have no idea and neither do they. I'm learning that the more I learn about women, the less I know.

blessed3x 7 years, 7 months ago

samsnewplace,

It's all about priorities. I have an average job with a wife and 4 kids (I still need to change my login). We live on my salary alone, but we have chosen to cut back on luxuries (what some people call needs). Our newest car is 7 years old but they are both paid for. We do not go out and lease/buy $30K cars and end up a slave to the bank for 5 years. We live in a modest house in a modest but very safe and comfortable neighborhood. Simply put, we live simply. It is a priority with us that during these precious years of our children's lives, that a parent be home to raise them as opposed to an overworked daycare provider. I fully understand if a couple is not able to provide for their family on only one income, but many times I see families struggling to make ends meet with two incomes living in a quarter million dollar house with a new, leased car in the driveway and a satellite dish on the side of the house. It's all about what is most important to you and right now it is a joy that I am able to provide my wife the flexibility to stay home and raise our beautiful children. It's where she desires to be and it's in the best interest of the children. Many times my wife is looked down upon as a stay at home mom, but more often than not, people react to this information with a "good for you" or a "I wish I could do the same".

Samsnewplace, you right about one thing, the average American is no longer able to make it on one income. But that is only because the average American is swamped with credit card debt, car loans and leases, mortgages for houses they couldn't afford in the first place, pay day loans, satellite tv bills, rent-to-own payments and student loans. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be average. Average is stressed-out, depressed and broke. You can keep it.

Godot 7 years, 7 months ago

"why do women initiate 2/3 of all divorces? because women are emotional and it's easy to do. of course."

It is because women are gullible enough to believe the guy they are cheating with when he says, "Sure, I'll leave my wife...as soon as you leave your husband."

samsnewplace 7 years, 7 months ago

23 May 2007 at 12:21 p.m. blessed3x (Anonymous) says: (partial quote) Simply put, we live simply. It is a priority with us that during these precious years of our children's lives, that a parent be home to raise them as opposed to an overworked daycare provider. I fully understand if a couple is not able to provide for their family on only one income, but many times I see families struggling to make ends meet with two incomes living in a quarter million dollar house with a new, leased car in the driveway and a satellite dish on the side of the house. It's all about what is most important to you and right now it is a joy that I am able to provide my wife the flexibility to stay home and raise our beautiful children.

Very well said and very, very true. I was also a stay-at-home mom until my children were in school full-time all day long. I believe in my heart that my children are better adults today for having that solid home base in the beginning. Congratulations to you and your wife for making wonderful, life changing choices in the lives of your children. It's a materialistic world we live in today, but people are most important thoroughout our lives, not things.

ms_canada 7 years, 7 months ago

TOB - my husband would gladly join you in a couple of Kokanee, it is his favourite. I am a wine person, white wine.

craigers 7 years, 7 months ago

I think marriage success has more to do with monogamy, respect, dedication, and love for one another. However, if the wife in the relationship wants to work then do what she wants to do. Each marriage needs to do what's best for them.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

Blessed3X, very well said! I work at home but my main job is "stay-at-home mom." When the kids need me, work gets put on hold (a lot). Before we had kids, the hubby and I discussed whether or not we would both work or one of us would stay home to raise the babes. We both wanted one of us at home. Since I was the "jobless" one at the time (and I really wanted to do it) I stayed home. I really can't say that I've ever met more than a few people who look down on my "job description." If anything, I've had many women (yes, they've all been women) who've asked me how we are able to afford one of us at home. Most of those women are also now SAHM's and earn some extra $ from home as I do. One works for the IRS, one does graphic design, one works for a financial firm, one is a piano teacher, etc...and others have quit their jobs entirely. They are all still married and as far as I know...happily.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 7 months ago

Thanks TOB. I will be careful. I feel like a gawker, but I do have lots of memories there and would like to see it. Curious, yes. Sad, oh yes. I still tear up when I read anything about the generosity of others and the strength of the Greensburgians.

If we have time, we'll do the Kinsley south route. Coming in on the west is enough for me. I will miss the John Deere green and the Jayhawk Motel landmarks on that side of town. But the Big Well piece is what makes me miss it.

I hope your friends and family are getting re-settled. I did hear about the storms again. ENOUGH ALREADY!!!

altarego 7 years, 7 months ago

Am I too late to say stupid question?

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

I've been waiting all day to find time to check out today's OTS and what do I find??

What a dumb question! Alas, back to work.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 7 months ago

WOW! I had no idea. I knew there were lots of them on Saturday. Fellsburg and Trousdale folks were very very lucky. To be two miles wide and only an F3? Interesting.

Did the tornado leave a big ditch where it was hitting the ground? My brother was in Greensburg when the Prez was there. Did you get to meet him too? My brother, I mean. Not the Prez...haha. He was helping Danny Coggins who lived next to the Methodist Church.

dminear60 7 years, 7 months ago

Unbelievable...In the year 2007 we still have the old double standard to contend with. A man can have a career and family but if a woman elects to do the same she is blamed for everything from the break down of the home and family values to global warming. What cave did the person asking this question crawl out of?

Linda Aikins 7 years, 7 months ago

Un F-believable. Is the town still evacuated from yesterday? I would think that after what they've been through, even a watch would be a terror.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 7 months ago

Do you think gum that works outside the home has longer-lasting flavor?

Uhlrick_Hetfield_III 7 years, 7 months ago

My wife would probably answer, but she's too busy working. I'm the one useless enough to waste time on here answering stupid questions.

brookcreeker 7 years, 7 months ago

This is the most irrelevant question on the street ever.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 7 months ago

Oooh, I don't know. "Which state would you consider to be the most average?" could be a rival in the contest for Most Irrelevant Ever.

Nick Yoho 7 years, 7 months ago

who writes these questions? Go woman power!!praise the goddess.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 7 months ago

Lunacy Detector: Here you go, a man after your own heart....

Feminism encourages women to leave their husbands, kill their children, practice witchcraft, destroy capitalism and become lesbians. - Rev. Pat Robertson, 1992 G.O.P. Convention

Good to know where you belong right? What a jackhole.

SloMo 7 years, 7 months ago

Am I too late to answer the second question? I'd love to see Cuba - before it all changes again...