Previous   Next

What do you think should be the penalty for an MIP?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 20, 2007

Browse the archives

“I’d say just a fine. Anything more than that is a bit ridiculous.”

“I think community service is a good penalty. Probably about 30 hours, but no fine and no probation.”

“I would make them do public service that includes working with people with drug and alcohol addiction so they can see the less glamorous side of things.”

“Probation for a year and a fine of $250.”

Related story

Comments

paladin 7 years, 7 months ago

Public humiliation is in order. Three days in the stocks outside the city gates. Oh, I forgot we are living in a civilized society. Five days outside the entrance to Wal-Mart. Shame them, unmercifully, into compliance with social norms and acceptable standards of conduct. Second offense, public lashing. That'll show em who's boss.

jonas 7 years, 7 months ago

Hello from Beijing! For some reason, internet in China is somewhat more chancy that in my home. Don't know why that would be. Anyway, doubt I'll be on much, so be nice to each other while I'm gone!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 7 months ago

Marrying Irresponsible People is its own punishment.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

Marauding in pantaloons? That's just weird!

paladin 7 years, 7 months ago

Mating in Public is illegal? Dogs and cows and dragonflies do it, why can't we?

paladin 7 years, 7 months ago

On further rumination, its just as well people aren't going about mating in public. It would not be pretty.

classclown 7 years, 7 months ago

It is an outrage that will deliver our society to the gates of hell. Mamboing In Plaid should be dealt with swiftly and most severly. Stamp out this evil.

Leprechaunking13 7 years, 7 months ago

I don't know if you should fine the parent unless there is a record of either of them having trouble with alcohol before then. A senior in high school could be 17 and all of his friends are 18 and they all go to a bar why should the 17 year olds parents get fined for the kid being stupid. Other than that I totally agree.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 7 months ago

Someone needs to Marion that the draft ended in the early 70's. People can join when they are 18, but it's not the draft.

Leprechaunking13 7 years, 7 months ago

Doesn't matter if the draft is ever re-instated that would be the age they used, so quit DEE DEE DEEing on these blogs Dorothy and make a credible comment!

classclown 7 years, 7 months ago

Then perhaps we make it legal for anyone with a military ID to be able to drink. When I served we were able to drink on base, but perhaps it should be made that those on active duty be allowed purchase alcohol anywhere and they can have their beer or two.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 7 months ago

I like that argument. Your statement may be true now, but it has the potential to be untrue, and that makes it irrelevant now. Awesome. And so broadly applicable, too!

Anyway. What's so wrong with Manufacturing Industrial Polystyrene?

paladin 7 years, 7 months ago

Maybe the draft should be reinstated along with prohibition. That would seem more fairer.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 7 months ago

Did you know that young soldiers are at times allowed to drink, it's up to the commander. Let these young people join up, instead of goin to college if drinking is sooo important to them. Drinking does not define adulthood.

paladin 7 years, 7 months ago

Do the young soldiers have to drink when the commander commands them to drink? "I command you to drink!", commanded the commander, and they did. Thought they had to, irregardless of the law. I think everyone 18-21 should be in the army, girls, too. Its loads of fun. Drinking and shooting guns and all. And running while trying not to spill your beer.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 7 months ago

Minor in Possession.

Better yet, Mating in Pantaloons!

Hi Jonas!! Have fun!

letsgetwise 7 years, 7 months ago

I think community service for the minor, but more importantly, a severe slap on the hands for the ones providing it to them.

paladin 7 years, 7 months ago

Thanks, Marion.

Thanks.

Fred, the mouse.

Richard Boyd 7 years, 7 months ago

The boy in the FIRST picture deserves JAIL for the sunglasses ALONE

bearded_gnome 7 years, 7 months ago

Jonas, have a good and productive trip...just try not to stand in front of chinese army tanks...come back home whole.

ms_canada 7 years, 7 months ago

We just don't have the problem of a person under 21 being in possession of liquor. But if that person is under 18, that is a different story. Our legal drinking age is 18 years. I guess our legislators figured they were going to drink anyway, which is true, so make it legal. Now the problem is with the 15 and 16 year olds. You can't win. The lure of the evil drink is just too strong. I guess. Jonas, we will miss you a lot.

SloMo 7 years, 7 months ago

Hey! Don't blame the "Left" for the ridiculous drug and alcohol laws! Those belong to the moral minority/righteouser-than-thou folks!

Personally, I'd like to see the legal drinking age lowered to 16, or maybe abolished altogether. And the legal driving age raised to 25. Give everyone a good long time to learn how to handle alcohol (or weed themselves out) before they even think about driving a car.

ms_canada 7 years, 7 months ago

Marion - can you tell me, are the drinking laws and possession laws regulated by the individual states or by the federal gov. Ours are provincial. Each province sets its own laws in a lot of areas. The province of Quebec has some very different laws to the rest of Canada. The people of Quebec are more European in their outlook on life. Hubby and I visited Que. a few years ago and loved it. Especially Quebec City, very European, very cosmopolitan. Wonderful restaurants and old buildings. Lovely people. I had heard stories of the snasty, unfriendly Quebecois but sure did not find that to be true. They were very helpful and forgiving of my poor french. Another thing that was very noticable was the pride that they all seemed to take in their homes and yards. Almost 100% in each town that we passed through, we saw such well maintained yards and house exteriors. A delightful province to visit.

ModerateOne 7 years, 7 months ago

"The boy in the FIRST picture deserves JAIL for the sunglasses ALONE"

If that's the case, then I think the woman in the SECOND picture should receive an automatic "get out of jail free" card.

pelliott 7 years, 7 months ago

i think they should lower the age of consent to 16, for drinking, marrying, enlisting. Old enough

retina 7 years, 7 months ago

Serving in the armed forces and drinking have nothing to do with each other. I used that same argument when I was 18, about 30 years ago. Kids who are underage and drinking are more likely to make dumb decisions, like driving. Inexperienced, drunk, and immature drivers on the streets, how is that ok? I know, "if I'm old enough to fight for my country, I'm old enough to drink". Fighting for your country is a civic duty that comes with living in this country. Great, now I need a drink!

Linda Endicott 7 years, 7 months ago

Kids will use any excuse in order to be able to do what they want to.

It's up to the adults in their lives to teach them about responsibility...and consequences for their actions.

I think there should definitely be a hefty fine for underage drinkers. And no, don't fine the parents...too many kids will sneak out to do this kind of stuff, and the parents have no idea. They might think the kid is at the bowling alley or something, when they're really not...how can a parent control that?

Besides a fine, I think they should have to work for awhile at a substance abuse center...specifically with people addicted to alcohol. Maybe if they saw an honest to God case of the DTs, it might change their minds about how "glamorous" drinking is...

I don't think it should be put on any kind of permanent record...unless, of course, they make a regular habit of it.

Because if a kid can't follow the rules when they're a kid, are they really going to change that much when they graduate college and get a real job?

erod0723 7 years, 6 months ago

"can you tell me, are the drinking laws and possession laws regulated by the individual states or by the federal gov" It is up to each individual state to determine drinking age, but any state that lowers the drinking age will have it's federal funding for highways and such severely limited. So in essence, the feds control drinking age. How bout we make it illegal for 60 somethings to go quail hunting, because they may shoot their friends in the face?