Previous   Next

Which state would you consider to be the most average?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 17, 2007

Browse the archives

“Obviously I’m biased toward Kansas, but I suppose Iowa or Ohio would be a good example.”

“Missouri. It’s pretty much in the middle as far as politics go. It’s the first swing state that comes to mind and people from there seem pretty average. Nothing too exciting goes on there.”

“You think of states that are around us at first. A state like Missouri has a good mix of rural and urban areas. But most people from Kansas would probably say that Missouri is below average.”

“Wyoming. I’ve never been there, but it just seems really average to me.”

Comments

lmpaul 6 years, 11 months ago

At work I've observed the average state as "confusion". At a KU football home game, the average state is "intoxicated". Among women with young children, the average state is "exhausted"

911wasanINSIDEJOB 6 years, 11 months ago

Somewhere in California, a village named PRUNEDALE is missing it's idiot......if the shoe fits......we know who you are......

911wasanINSIDEJOB 6 years, 11 months ago

Kodiac 6 years, 11 months ago

Gads..I'm hungry now....Where do you live Sue....I can help with the ham...

Average state.....Oklahoma or Kentucky. Can you get anymore average than telling someone you are from

Okay, OK

or

Ordinary, KY

Sounds pretty average to me.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 11 months ago

Awesome, gnome. You are the best granola head I know.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

janeyb 6 years, 11 months ago

Concerning the most average state ---WTF!!

Idaho is a Morman state-- but, unlike Utah, the residents say they are non-practicing Mormans. I don't know how average that is. How about Oklahoma? It has always looked just average to me. Maybe too Republican?

Fred Thompson is probably best known for saying "Son, a Ruskie doesn't take a dump without a plan." to Alec Baldwin in The Hunt for Red October.

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

Sue, when you do the ham and beans, use a sweet onion, and at least 1/8 teaspoon of ginger. the ginger is great.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

Daaahammn! Yeppers, gonna make all them good hammy dishes! (Since I'll be eating ham for weeks!) Damn Target for having spiral sliced @ 49 cents/lb!

RI, OK, got IDAHO...still don't know who the WHO are. White-homophobes? Wacko-homophobes? Worthless-homophobes? Wonky? Wilted? Woeful? Waffling?

peppermint 6 years, 11 months ago

Oddly phrased question, but if they mean which state is most representative of America, it's California. Not the stereotype of California, but the real California, with transplants from all over the United States.

The midwestern states are representative of the midwest - not the nation.

RKLOG 6 years, 11 months ago

I've been to Denver, and I've been to Wyoming, but I've never been to me.

coolmom 6 years, 11 months ago

i would answer this question but i am worried it would make the housing market crash or gas prices rise.....

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 11 months ago

sue, I think it would be funnest if you answered the 5 W's by yourself. What IDAHO denotes, who the WHO is, why IDAHO is observed on May 17th, when the WHO has it's own day of observance, and where the WHO functions.

Agnostick 6 years, 11 months ago

preebo, Colorado would've been my guess, too. I don't know if there's any truth to this, but my wife went to high school in Colorado Springs, and she says at that time, Springs was a popular test market for all kinds of new food products, ice cream flavors, you name it.

Well, if it was back then, it isn't today... based on this info, at least:

(Interesting, though, that Wichita is #9 on the list!)

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com http://www.uscentrist.org

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

or to eat baby hams cooked over eggs with onions sauted.

this island country, last I knew, actually hired somebody to represent them at the UN and for the american embassy, not sending one of their citizens.

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

Sounds like a good place to spend the winter, gnome :)

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

my entry opposing guam, because I like to say this island nation's name, try this one fast over and over eh Jonas.

Vanuatu, officially the Republic of Vanuatu, is an island nation located in the South Pacific Ocean. The archipelago is located some 1,750 km (1090 mi) east of Australia, 500 km (310 mi) north-east of New Caledonia, west of Fiji and south of the Solomon Islands.

Vanuatu was first inhabited by Melanesian people. Europeans began to settle in the area in the late 18th century and in 1906 Britain and France officially claimed the country, jointly managing it through a British-French Condominium as the New Hebrides. An independence movement was established in the 1970s, and the Republic of Vanuatu was created in 1980.

Contents

Bone777 6 years, 11 months ago

Sue - Green eggs and ham.

Most average state. Arizona....

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 11 months ago

"Sunflower make that cheezy hashbrown casserole and put the ham in it. " Spacie

My wife makes that. Damn good. Damn good for breakfast. Damn good for lunch. Damn good for dinner. Damn good leftovers. Damn good. Damn unhealthy as well.

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

sue, I think you should use that big ole ham to make all of the above suggested dishes and invite everyone for dinner.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

There is a place down in Kemah that does crab meat cooked up with ham. Yum, yum!

Azure_Attitude 6 years, 11 months ago

I think it was Fred Grandy that was on the Love Boat, Trin. He was elected to Congress in Iowa - supremely average state. Miss Jane (Nancy Kulp?) from the Beverly Hillbillies was as well, only for Pennsylvania.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

RI, what I meant to say was..."What is IDAHO and who are the WHO?" I know I could ask Jeeves but asking you is so much funner. (Yes, I know "funner" is not a word but it should be!)

All those in favor of making "funner" a word say "aye." aye, I, eye!

Mmmmm....cheesy hashbrown hammy casserole!!! And I'm w/ Staci...confusion is probably my most natural (a.k.a. average) state.

Staci Dark Simpson 6 years, 11 months ago

Sunflower make that cheezy hashbrown casserole and put the ham in it. We just had it for supper the other night and everyone loved it. Most average state......confusion!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

RI, glad you clarified because I was seriously thinking that potatoes were taking over Horton's job and listening out for the Who's in Whoville today. Didn't make much sense to me, but it made more sense than what you were actually trying to say. I guess.

Mmmm....crispy hashbrowns and sourdough! Mmmm....cheesy scalloped potatoes! I'll never be able to decide now! Then again, it was a really big ham and we could eat off of this thing for 2 weeks, at least. I think they need to grow smaller hams...you know, like baby carrots or something. Baby hams!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 11 months ago

Today is IDAHO (the acronym, not the State) Observing the actions of the WHO (the organization, not the band) on this day in 1990.

Linda Endicott 6 years, 11 months ago

Chopped ham also goes well in scalloped potatoes, with cheese...

Although the thought of ham and beans and cornbread does sound really good...

Gootsie 6 years, 11 months ago

ham and eggs with very crispy hash browns and toasted sourdough bread.

yum YUM!!!

trinity 6 years, 11 months ago

wasn't he the guy on "the love boat"? fred thompson i mean...

my average state is petrified.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 11 months ago

sue, Fred Thompson? He's that cool actor guy who was in "Celsius 41.11: The Temperature at Which the Brain... Begins to Die"

Did you see the 9:55 post? You can stop hot gluing the mirror squares to the basketball..

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

gnome, made me sweat just reading that suggestion. As one who will try just about anything, though, it doesn't sound half bad.

Another ?: Who is Fred Thompson and why would I want him to be my president?

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

cea, doing better, and nice to be here!

mrs. gnome sends her greeting too.

okay Sue, can I have another vote: ham and bell pepper stew with anaheim chilis, don't knock it its good.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

2 votes for ham and beans! (I'm going to keep a running total.) Just think, you all have the power over what my family eats for supper tonight. Frightening. Cornbread does sound good. Butter and honey...I'm salivating!

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

prospector, the baddest? Like there is any competition . . . . Texas!! (According to the ads, it's like a whole other country :)

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

It's good to have my gnomey back :) Hope today finds you doing well!!

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

I don't have anything against Guam. I'm offering them a fabulous opportunity! To be ground zero for the creation of a new state of totally average existence! 15% market growth, 2.5% annual GDP growth! Moderate politics!

It'll be just like Switzerland, in Guam!

Actually, I think I just like to say the word "Guam."

guamguamguamguamguamguamguam

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

Jonas, what you got against Guam? were you frightened by a guamanian when you were a little Jonaschen?

bearded_gnome 6 years, 11 months ago

obviously, the average state is the alpha wave state.

ham...goes with beans like love and marriage.

This question is below average for the OTS, and that is no easy accomplishment.

for once, in forever, I agree with Bea.

good morn all. Cea, there cannot be an average poster, because we all are above average. you, most of all.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 11 months ago

I guess I was confused. I thought you capitalized state (State) if you were intending to mean the bodies politic that make up a federal union. Are we talking about: One of the States?, mental state? chemical state? physical state? quantum state? Since state was non-capitalized in the question, I will revise my 7:15 post: Particle at rest.
Of course unless observed, we can only suggest the probablity of an average state.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 11 months ago

Sue - Ham and Beans. or Ham and Potato Cheese soup.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 11 months ago

Could somebody link to the article? I'm having a hard time finding it, and I need it to understand the question.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 11 months ago

uesay, ethay unnay ixednay ethay ollerray iscoday artypay.

preebo 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say...

Colorado?

I mean what determines an average state? Is it the political climate? The cultural identity? Geography? Or the numbers, like population and median household income?

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

I have left-over ham. Any good ideas on what I should "re-vamp" it into for supper tonight?

RonBurgandy 6 years, 11 months ago

Illinois, because that is what the article told me.

blue73harley 6 years, 11 months ago

Wow. I guess that pretty much answers Ceal's 8:41 question, too.

blue73harley 6 years, 11 months ago

Here are the standards for being an average guy from an expert...

Ordinary Average Guy (J. Walsh) I'm just an ordinary average guy My friends are all boring And so am I We're just ordinary average guys We all live ordinary average lives With average kids And average wives We all go bowling at the bowling lanes Drink a few beers Bowl a few frames We're just ordinary average guys Ordinary average guys And every Saturday we work in the yard Pick up the dog do Hope that it's hard (whaf whaf) Take out the garbage and clean out the garage My friend's got a Chrysler I've got a Dodge We're just ordinary average guys

beatrice 6 years, 11 months ago

blue, as a card-carrying feminazi-pinko-liberal-left-wing-nut-job, I resemble that remark!

Is it actually possible to be the "most average"? Once you are designated "most" of anything, doesn't that preclude the possibility of "average"? It would mean one is more than another, which means it can no longer be average -- it must be known as uber-average. At best, it would need to be a grouping of states to accomplish a state of averageness (averageosity?).

This question is below average for the OTS, and that is no easy accomplishment.

prospector 6 years, 11 months ago

All states please remember this:

"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me." Stuart Smalley

Why be average? Why label?

Well. well. well my state can kick your state's butt! So the question should be, which is the baddest state?

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

The LJW seems to be publishing more than an average number of stories on home schooling lately.

blue73harley 6 years, 11 months ago

Ceal - according to most OTS posters there is no average...you are either left or right wing, neo-con, nazi, etc.

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

Which OTS poster would you consider to be the most average?

char 6 years, 11 months ago

After finding and reading the article that goes with this, which means I finally understand what they are asking, Kristen Whitney is an airhead. Seriously, you're from Denver but you've never been to Wyoming? Wyoming is far from average in the terms the article was talking about. I grew up there. My town had a pretty decent Hispanic population, but our Black population was pitiful. It was far from "average". Even looking at political standpoints, I still wouldn't call it average.

BABBOY 6 years, 11 months ago

Texas. Very middle of the road normal people live there.

Just kidding.

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

jonas, a Texan with a Vermontonian? Sounds like a dangerous combination. Then socializing them with Californians and North Carolinans? Thank goodness you are putting them on an island!! As a precautionary step you might want to declare the area a "no fly zone."

A Klondike bar to the one who comes up with a real topic for today!!

sourpuss 6 years, 11 months ago

Iowa. If you've been there, you know average. Very nice place, just average.

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

We don't really have one, but when Congress finally relents and provides me with the funding and the go-ahead for my experiment to breed people from Texas with people from Vermont in a controlled environment, and have them socialized by people from North Carolina married to people from California, then I believe that the result will be people who are completely average. Politically speaking at least.

They'll get to live in Guam; making Guam the most average state. As soon as Guam is officially a state.

blue73harley 6 years, 11 months ago

I've always considered being average a bad thing so I gotta say Missouri is definitely average...or below.

Das_Ubermime 6 years, 11 months ago

The state of mind that came up with this question.