Previous   Next

Which state would you consider to be the most average?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 17, 2007

Browse the archives

“Obviously I’m biased toward Kansas, but I suppose Iowa or Ohio would be a good example.”

“Missouri. It’s pretty much in the middle as far as politics go. It’s the first swing state that comes to mind and people from there seem pretty average. Nothing too exciting goes on there.”

“You think of states that are around us at first. A state like Missouri has a good mix of rural and urban areas. But most people from Kansas would probably say that Missouri is below average.”

“Wyoming. I’ve never been there, but it just seems really average to me.”

Comments

jonas 7 years, 7 months ago

We don't really have one, but when Congress finally relents and provides me with the funding and the go-ahead for my experiment to breed people from Texas with people from Vermont in a controlled environment, and have them socialized by people from North Carolina married to people from California, then I believe that the result will be people who are completely average. Politically speaking at least.

They'll get to live in Guam; making Guam the most average state. As soon as Guam is officially a state.

sourpuss 7 years, 7 months ago

Iowa. If you've been there, you know average. Very nice place, just average.

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

jonas, a Texan with a Vermontonian? Sounds like a dangerous combination. Then socializing them with Californians and North Carolinans? Thank goodness you are putting them on an island!! As a precautionary step you might want to declare the area a "no fly zone."

A Klondike bar to the one who comes up with a real topic for today!!

Charla Welch 7 years, 7 months ago

After finding and reading the article that goes with this, which means I finally understand what they are asking, Kristen Whitney is an airhead. Seriously, you're from Denver but you've never been to Wyoming? Wyoming is far from average in the terms the article was talking about. I grew up there. My town had a pretty decent Hispanic population, but our Black population was pitiful. It was far from "average". Even looking at political standpoints, I still wouldn't call it average.

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

Which OTS poster would you consider to be the most average?

Flap Doodle 7 years, 7 months ago

The LJW seems to be publishing more than an average number of stories on home schooling lately.

beatrice 7 years, 7 months ago

blue, as a card-carrying feminazi-pinko-liberal-left-wing-nut-job, I resemble that remark!

Is it actually possible to be the "most average"? Once you are designated "most" of anything, doesn't that preclude the possibility of "average"? It would mean one is more than another, which means it can no longer be average -- it must be known as uber-average. At best, it would need to be a grouping of states to accomplish a state of averageness (averageosity?).

This question is below average for the OTS, and that is no easy accomplishment.

RonBurgandy 7 years, 7 months ago

Illinois, because that is what the article told me.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

I have left-over ham. Any good ideas on what I should "re-vamp" it into for supper tonight?

preebo 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say...

Colorado?

I mean what determines an average state? Is it the political climate? The cultural identity? Geography? Or the numbers, like population and median household income?

sgtwolverine 7 years, 7 months ago

Could somebody link to the article? I'm having a hard time finding it, and I need it to understand the question.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 7 months ago

obviously, the average state is the alpha wave state.

ham...goes with beans like love and marriage.

This question is below average for the OTS, and that is no easy accomplishment.

for once, in forever, I agree with Bea.

good morn all. Cea, there cannot be an average poster, because we all are above average. you, most of all.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 7 months ago

Jonas, what you got against Guam? were you frightened by a guamanian when you were a little Jonaschen?

jonas 7 years, 7 months ago

I don't have anything against Guam. I'm offering them a fabulous opportunity! To be ground zero for the creation of a new state of totally average existence! 15% market growth, 2.5% annual GDP growth! Moderate politics!

It'll be just like Switzerland, in Guam!

Actually, I think I just like to say the word "Guam."

guamguamguamguamguamguamguam

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

It's good to have my gnomey back :) Hope today finds you doing well!!

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

prospector, the baddest? Like there is any competition . . . . Texas!! (According to the ads, it's like a whole other country :)

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

2 votes for ham and beans! (I'm going to keep a running total.) Just think, you all have the power over what my family eats for supper tonight. Frightening. Cornbread does sound good. Butter and honey...I'm salivating!

bearded_gnome 7 years, 7 months ago

cea, doing better, and nice to be here!

mrs. gnome sends her greeting too.

okay Sue, can I have another vote: ham and bell pepper stew with anaheim chilis, don't knock it its good.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

gnome, made me sweat just reading that suggestion. As one who will try just about anything, though, it doesn't sound half bad.

Another ?: Who is Fred Thompson and why would I want him to be my president?

trinity 7 years, 7 months ago

wasn't he the guy on "the love boat"? fred thompson i mean...

my average state is petrified.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 7 months ago

ham and eggs with very crispy hash browns and toasted sourdough bread.

yum YUM!!!

Linda Endicott 7 years, 7 months ago

Chopped ham also goes well in scalloped potatoes, with cheese...

Although the thought of ham and beans and cornbread does sound really good...

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

RI, glad you clarified because I was seriously thinking that potatoes were taking over Horton's job and listening out for the Who's in Whoville today. Didn't make much sense to me, but it made more sense than what you were actually trying to say. I guess.

Mmmm....crispy hashbrowns and sourdough! Mmmm....cheesy scalloped potatoes! I'll never be able to decide now! Then again, it was a really big ham and we could eat off of this thing for 2 weeks, at least. I think they need to grow smaller hams...you know, like baby carrots or something. Baby hams!

Staci Dark Simpson 7 years, 7 months ago

Sunflower make that cheezy hashbrown casserole and put the ham in it. We just had it for supper the other night and everyone loved it. Most average state......confusion!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

RI, what I meant to say was..."What is IDAHO and who are the WHO?" I know I could ask Jeeves but asking you is so much funner. (Yes, I know "funner" is not a word but it should be!)

All those in favor of making "funner" a word say "aye." aye, I, eye!

Mmmmm....cheesy hashbrown hammy casserole!!! And I'm w/ Staci...confusion is probably my most natural (a.k.a. average) state.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 7 months ago

I think it was Fred Grandy that was on the Love Boat, Trin. He was elected to Congress in Iowa - supremely average state. Miss Jane (Nancy Kulp?) from the Beverly Hillbillies was as well, only for Pennsylvania.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 7 months ago

There is a place down in Kemah that does crab meat cooked up with ham. Yum, yum!

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

sue, I think you should use that big ole ham to make all of the above suggested dishes and invite everyone for dinner.

Bone777 7 years, 7 months ago

Sue - Green eggs and ham.

Most average state. Arizona....

bearded_gnome 7 years, 7 months ago

my entry opposing guam, because I like to say this island nation's name, try this one fast over and over eh Jonas.

Vanuatu, officially the Republic of Vanuatu, is an island nation located in the South Pacific Ocean. The archipelago is located some 1,750 km (1090 mi) east of Australia, 500 km (310 mi) north-east of New Caledonia, west of Fiji and south of the Solomon Islands.

Vanuatu was first inhabited by Melanesian people. Europeans began to settle in the area in the late 18th century and in 1906 Britain and France officially claimed the country, jointly managing it through a British-French Condominium as the New Hebrides. An independence movement was established in the 1970s, and the Republic of Vanuatu was created in 1980.

Contents

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

Sounds like a good place to spend the winter, gnome :)

bearded_gnome 7 years, 7 months ago

or to eat baby hams cooked over eggs with onions sauted.

this island country, last I knew, actually hired somebody to represent them at the UN and for the american embassy, not sending one of their citizens.

coolmom 7 years, 7 months ago

i would answer this question but i am worried it would make the housing market crash or gas prices rise.....

RKLOG 7 years, 7 months ago

I've been to Denver, and I've been to Wyoming, but I've never been to me.

peppermint 7 years, 7 months ago

Oddly phrased question, but if they mean which state is most representative of America, it's California. Not the stereotype of California, but the real California, with transplants from all over the United States.

The midwestern states are representative of the midwest - not the nation.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

Daaahammn! Yeppers, gonna make all them good hammy dishes! (Since I'll be eating ham for weeks!) Damn Target for having spiral sliced @ 49 cents/lb!

RI, OK, got IDAHO...still don't know who the WHO are. White-homophobes? Wacko-homophobes? Worthless-homophobes? Wonky? Wilted? Woeful? Waffling?

bearded_gnome 7 years, 7 months ago

Sue, when you do the ham and beans, use a sweet onion, and at least 1/8 teaspoon of ginger. the ginger is great.

janeyb 7 years, 7 months ago

Concerning the most average state ---WTF!!

Idaho is a Morman state-- but, unlike Utah, the residents say they are non-practicing Mormans. I don't know how average that is. How about Oklahoma? It has always looked just average to me. Maybe too Republican?

Fred Thompson is probably best known for saying "Son, a Ruskie doesn't take a dump without a plan." to Alec Baldwin in The Hunt for Red October.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 7 months ago

Awesome, gnome. You are the best granola head I know.

Kodiac 7 years, 7 months ago

Gads..I'm hungry now....Where do you live Sue....I can help with the ham...

Average state.....Oklahoma or Kentucky. Can you get anymore average than telling someone you are from

Okay, OK

or

Ordinary, KY

Sounds pretty average to me.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 7 months ago

lmpaul 7 years, 7 months ago

At work I've observed the average state as "confusion". At a KU football home game, the average state is "intoxicated". Among women with young children, the average state is "exhausted"

bearded_gnome 7 years, 7 months ago