Previous   Next

Have you cut back on driving because of gas prices?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 16, 2007

Browse the archives

“I bought a different car because of gas prices. I went from an eight-cylinder truck to a four-cylinder hatchback. So I haven’t cut back on driving, just on using gas.”

“No, I have not. It’s still cheaper than bottled water.”

“Not really, but I think about it more. It would have to be at about $4 before I’d have to cut back.”

“Yes. I can’t afford to fill up my car anymore, so I get my friends to take me places.”

Comments

Nick Yoho 6 years, 11 months ago

My cousin runs a auto repair shop waay up north in Alaska. One day a Fur Trapper comes into his shop,and asks him to look at his truck,because his mileage just started getting even worse than normal.My cuz says "ok,it'll take a while."The trapper goes off into town,has lunch at the local diner,pie and Ice cream for dessert.When he gets back,my cousin looks up from under the hood of the truck,and says,"It looks like you blew a seal." The Fur trapper wipes off his beard,and say,"No,thats just Ice cream.".

Marion Lynn 6 years, 11 months ago

And you paranoids out there ought to take a look at this article to learn what is REALLY going on!:

Of course that will not prevent my mercenary mind from doing everything that I can do to profit from the situation.

Thanks.

Marion.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 11 months ago

Well, I was looking at a '94 Roller Silver Spur III with only 48.000 miles on it, the owner of which is thinking of taking a bath on the thing because of its combined city/highway mileage of only 15.

What an idiot!

I am going to make a BUNDLE out of this fuel crisis AND get to drive cool cars!

I LOVE IT!

Thanks.

Marion.

911wasanINSIDEJOB 6 years, 11 months ago

there is no oil shortage, in fact there is excess. No? Just like the DeBeers company has falsely inflated the price of diamonds for decades. I make my own fuel.For free......

hitme 6 years, 11 months ago

Yeah, now I just sit at .home and drink with my kids and their friends.

yourworstnightmare 6 years, 11 months ago

Cut back? Ha!

Let the poor and working class cut back. High gas prices might cut into my cigar and caviar money, but conservation is so bourgeois...

Richard Heckler 6 years, 11 months ago

No I cut back on driving for my health. Yep biking and walking are more fun every chance I get.

preebo 6 years, 11 months ago

It looks like we still haven't reached that cost-prohibitive threshold. It is interesting talking with friends who tell me that they have actually had to re-work their family budget and cut out unnecessary expenditures to make room for gas money. At what popint does gas become and unecessary expenditure? I mean I look out my office window and there are 5-10 large SUV's right outside. I say good luck with all that.

We are still very much in love with our cars.

Here's an article showing how little things have changed with gas prices rising.

Kontum1972 6 years, 11 months ago

i had gas yesterday and it really brought me to my knees.....then i laid on my back got a book of matches and waited......it all worked out in the laundry later on that evening....thx Dick & Scrub jr.,...and dat wolfowitz clown....WMD's

hey how about that War Czar....? Hu...wah

average 6 years, 11 months ago

Our truck now goes 3 months or so between fillups. It's now only for "truck things", pulling a trailer more often than not. I strongly suggest that if you want to keep a rarely-used vehicle from gumming up, put something like Stabil or Seafoam in the tank with each fillup. Adds to the cost of driving the truck, but cheaper than draining the tank.

blue73harley 6 years, 11 months ago

I remember the good old days when we only taped up our squirt guns when they leaked.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

prospector, I was going to ask how in the world young kids end up doing stuff like this...but then it occurred to me that they were probably raised by home schoolers and were forced to watch penguin movies.

prospector 6 years, 11 months ago

We could carpool to Wichita and squeeze these.

How about these bad boys in Leavenworth? 11 and 14 yo armed robbers .

H_Lecter 6 years, 11 months ago

I can't believe some of you hate penguins. They're really quite delicious.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 11 months ago

Yes, there are other Happy Feet haters out there. I watched it with three friends, and we all hated it. When it ended, one of my friends stood up and said, "I want to eat fish now."

Das: "because some things are just deserve to die" reminds of the classic "all your base are belong to us." You could spin it that way.

preebo 6 years, 11 months ago

Absolutely, I haven't driven my car in two months. I either ride my bike or take my electric Go Motorboard to work each day. The only issue is, I've had to buy raingear to keep dry on those rainy days. That, and my scooter only goes 15 MPH. Fortunately, work is only eight miles from home.

My wife and I are moving to Denver in a few months, so we'll be utilizing their newly constructed Light-Rail "The Ride" to get to work regularly.

okjhok 6 years, 11 months ago

It's official. Tomorrow morning I will begin riding my bike to work.

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

Really?? And how did you acquire this knowledge of snaps chaps? Inquiring minds want to know.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 11 months ago

"It is getting about 100 mpg, I wonder if I coated it with some penguin oil if I would get better mileage?" Armyguy

I think you'd probably have to douse yourself with penguin oil as well. Snap has some faux penguin faux skin faux pleather chaps that stay nice and lubed for your rides around town.

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

btw, Christina needs to find a new place to buy her bottled water. Now a gallon of Latte . . . that would be costly. However, I'm not giving up lattes either.

Gootsie 6 years, 11 months ago

Dispatcher : 9-1-1 What is your emergency? Caller: I heard what sounded like gunshots coming from the brown house on the corner. Dispatcher: Do you have an address? Caller: No, I have on a blouse and slacks, why?

armyguy 6 years, 11 months ago

I recently bought a scooter for town trips, which is just about all I do, my truck is parked most of the time saving over $50.00 per week in gas money. It is getting about 100 mpg, I wonder if I coated it with some penguin oil if I would get better mileage?

Gootsie 6 years, 11 months ago

Good stuff today! LOVE IT! (oops - all caps)

Reality_Check 6 years, 11 months ago

I haven't cut back on driving or changed my car, but I have cut my gas consumption by 20% by driving more conservatively. I also bought oil company stocks so I can profit from the rest of the people who are too stupid to cut back.

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

And I thought I was the only one that didn't find Happy Feet all cute and lovable, just an annoying waste of time and money! So does this mean that most of the general public is hiding their true feelings about the movie . . or it is a phenomenon only found among OTS posters? I have kept quiet about my feelings because the g-baby loves the movie and I don't want her to find out too soon that her Gram can be so heartless. Therefore I must continue my double-life. <8{

Oh, yeah, the question . . . cut back . . . not so much. Life is short . . and then you die. So I'll keep rollin as long as I can fill up the tank, after that I'll call and threaten my children. "You'll either have to buy my gas or I will be forced to move in with you." :):):)

prospector 6 years, 11 months ago

Snap, are you successful in trapping them using Cane Toads for bait?

Okay, is it just me or did they finally find these folks pictures? When the brewers come in I might find it was the Wi-Fi connection here.

samsnewplace 6 years, 11 months ago

I guess it depends on your financial status whether you can afford the luxury of driving other than for a necessity. I count pennies and my driving is a necessity or it doesn't happen. They say salaries will freeze soon and I feel like i'm drowning with the cost of living expenses from all angles...i've treaded water so long that i'm water logged but I held on, and I plan to keep holding on.

Apollo Hernandez 6 years, 11 months ago

In my travels I have come to realize that gas prices are not that bad here. 4 or 5 dollars really isn't that bad. Especially considering the convince automobiles provide. If people can't deal with the inconvenience they should use public transportation, find a magic carpet, or just hoof it. It'd be a real shame if people walked more, what with our country becoming obese and what not.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

It's good to find other "Happy Feet Haters" out there! That was 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back! And another penguin movie coming out. What's with the penguins? Other than for oil, that is.

Snap, you should market your cold pressed EVPO to us "northerners." We don't get bush penguins this far north.

prospector 6 years, 11 months ago

What!! It did not change!! Thoses villians. I am a pawn to them like everyone. They are the "company store" for all of us.

Anybody seen my bicycle tire pump?

I have a plan similar to Sue's. Instead of going home from the brewery, I will stay the night. The sacks of hops are very comfy. The bubbling of the fermenters makes for such sweet dreams. Ahhh

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 11 months ago

T_O_B, Do you think they make that TailGator® gas powered blender with a detachable engine? I could use it to "repower" the the ol' Rincon... Blend and ride, the perfect combination.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

I squeeze my own oil from the herds of free-range penguins roaming the forests down here. I use a cold-press method that does really doesn't hurt the penguins. They're just disoriented for a few minutes & then they scamper back off into the underbrush. Kinda like extra-virgin olive oil.

Das_Ubermime 6 years, 11 months ago

"because some things are just deserve to die"? English I no speak well.

Das_Ubermime 6 years, 11 months ago

I would be amused at that advertising campaign.

"Happy Feet Penguin Oil: helping do reduce greenhouse emissions and annoying wildlife"

"Happy Feet Penguin Oil: because some things are just deserve to die"

"Happy Feet Penguin Oil: you paid for the movie, now they'll pay for making it"

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

O-Bob: It's a rather lopsided chase scene too. A little too lopsided to ever make those shows on when animals attack.

promitida 6 years, 11 months ago

Yep! I couldn't tell you the last time I bought gas. These prices are just ridiculous. I'm only driving when it's absolutely necessary.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 11 months ago

I've heard that wolverines love the taste of penguin flesh in the morning.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 11 months ago

Das, as far as I'm concerned, the world would be better off without the cast of Happy Feet. That movie was a waste of my time. Usually when a movie doesn't appeal to me, I'm just indifferent about the movie; Happy Feet went far beyond indifference. I have an active dislike for that movie.

Lisia 6 years, 11 months ago

I've cut down. I've taken the bus to all my classes at JCCC and cut out all road trips. Unfortunately, that includes the trips to Missouri to spend the holidays with my family.

Staci Dark Simpson 6 years, 11 months ago

You betta believe we cut back. My hubby is buying a Honda civic today because he is parking the pickup at home, only to be used for hauling wood or fishing locally. We are running to Lawrence less and shopping at our local grocery. It is a little more expensive but i figure it is still cheaper than gas.

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

Ubermime: Can we make sure that the penguins involved WERE, in fact, the cast of Happy Feet, because then it seems like it would be okay. Not penguins, but irritating singing and dancing penguins.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 11 months ago

R_I -

I was referring to his wonderfulyl sarcastic post. I can let the constant emails of "do not buy gas on May 15th" sit in my junk box till the auto-delete takes care of them, but I felt like poking a few people in the eye yesterday. It amazes me that otherwise intelligent people fall for the "don't buy gas and it'll all be better" hoax.

Goots and you are on to something though... I don't think Gold Prospector is a big enough job market these days, so Prospector may really be an evil pawn of Exxon. Or, he's just a geologist that super-enjoys some Free State Beer.

Gootsie 6 years, 11 months ago

Could be, R_I. His name is "prospector" after all...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 11 months ago

T_O_B, prospector wins? Is he somehow associated with the big bad oil companies?

Azure_Attitude 6 years, 11 months ago

You are right on, noise!!! You must be psychic because I was thinking the same thing. It's hard for me to be disciplined in that respect and I am basically being forced to at this point, but I have been thinking that I am just not going to buy anything that isn't an absolute necessity.

mom_of_three 6 years, 11 months ago

My hubby has. He works from home more often now.

I really tried last year, too. We decided to car pool with another player to a tournament, and although it was nice to save money on gas, it drove me nuts not being able to control the speed, etc. If I do it again, I am driving....Drive the other person nuts.

oxandale 6 years, 11 months ago

I drive a gas guzzling Jeep, and with the gas prices, I now only drive to and from work. As for errands like grocery shopping etc.. i do that on my way home. Fortunately there is a grocery store right on my route home, so I dont even have to deviate from my route (except to actually drive INTO the parking lot). My gas lasts a little longer. If gas goes too much higher, my fiance and I will begin to carpool, which means we will leave a little bit earlier, he will drop me off, and then pick me up from work, which by that time i will have been off from work for about an hour. Hopefully i can stay on the clock, keep working to stay busy for that hour and get a little bit of overtime.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

snap, what do you pay for the penguin oil and how often do you have to re-apply? Do bugs wash off easier? Have you been attacked by an elephant seal yet?

Das_Ubermime 6 years, 11 months ago

Do you know how many penguins they have to club so that you can cover your car with their oil?

The entire cast of "Happy Feet", that's how many. I hope you are proud of yourself...

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

A_A is right about transportation costs. My "cheap" brand of milk has gone up 50 cents a gal in the last couple of weeks. I don't want to cut back on milk as it's really not the dairyman I want to put out of business, though.

I do try to cut back on round trips as I will drive the kiddies the 7+ miles into town for their activities and instead of turning around and coming back home, I'll wait there the 1 to 4 hours and read a book, talk to other parents, go for a walk, yadda yadda. It's perfect "me" time...guilt free!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

I haven't cut back on driving, but I keep my car covered with penguin oil so that it slides thru the air easier.

Kat Christian 6 years, 11 months ago

I doubt that yesterday's "not buy gas day" put a dent in the oil companies pockets because most people filled up the day before and mostly likely will today so it all balanced out in the long run. To REALLY bring the oil companies down or put pressure on them stop buying at retail stores and limit groceries. Buy ONLY what you ABSOLUTELY and NECESSARILY need as well as cut down on buying gas. I mean really discipline yourself to be constant with this practice for the next 6 months - becuase it will take about that long before it begins to take affect. You see if retail buying drops down it affects the market and if that happens the government will eventually become involved and start putting pressure on the oil companies to lower prices otherwise there could be a recession and our economy will definately slow down. The government doesn't want this because it affects everything including interest rates and buying power. So people buy less and sit back and watch something happen then. Otherwise if you keep buying then you can just watch the gas prices soar.

Azure_Attitude 6 years, 11 months ago

My sentiments exactly, crazy. We haven't even bothered to get the boat ready yet because it's going to cost so much to use it this year.

Everyone has to remember that the high gas costs don't only apply to the gas in your car. Everything you buy has the associated transport costs tacked on. I think I figured that for every $100 in groceries/merchandise I spend it's costing me an additional $10-$15 in extra transportation costs.

Wait until July when the oil companies announce that they have again achieved record profits . . . for the 15th quarter in a row!!!!! While they are receiveing record corporate welfare compliments of Bush and Co.!! Price gouging SOBs!!!! Before anyone starts, I really am not even remotely interested in the supply/demand lame @$$ justification. That doesn't have anything to do with their profits. We are getting totally screwed at the pump - no dinner, no kiss.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 11 months ago

Fortunately, I've gone from a 40-mile round-trip daily commute to an 8-10-mile round-trip commute for sporting events in town, and most of the events I photograph are in town. So I spend less on gas now, but I can't really say I made that move because of high gas prices -- I would like to spend less on gas no matter the price per gallon. That would mean I would be putting fewer miles on my car, and that would mean my car would last me longer.

Of course, last weekend's drive to Columbus took a bite out of my wallet, but that was for a special occasion.

prospector 6 years, 11 months ago

We all got the memo to not buy gas yesterday, right? Well, we brought the big bad oil companies to their knees. I am going out to fill up the truck for a buck and a quarter a gallon now.

Linda Endicott 6 years, 11 months ago

There's no way I could cut back on driving more than I already have. I only drive to and from work, and to and from the grocery store. I pay bills online.

lmpaul 6 years, 11 months ago

Oh, yes. I live in the country, and drive into the city to work. I do all my shopping/banking, etc. on the way home cause every trip has to count. And I gave up a weekend activity that required a 25 mile one-way drive. If gas prices continue to increase, I can't afford to work. At my present salary, I'd have to choose between food or gas. And I have to eat.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 11 months ago

Rewording a question from a couple weeks back. That's kind of like recycling and reusing. The LJW is greener than I thought.

Das_Ubermime 6 years, 11 months ago

Not really. With the exception of my trips from Illinois to Lawrence and back, I don't use much gas. Earlier this year, I was going 2 months between trips to the gas station.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

Unfortunately, no. The only thing I could do to cut back would be to stick my kiddies on the school bus...and that bus driver just scares the cr@p out of me. Said bus driver is an accident waiting to happen. School will be out soon and then I'll cut back for a few months. Of course, I could always home school...

Crossfire 6 years, 11 months ago

i'm not driving today. just gonna stay home. and drink that. Lynchburg Lemonade. and wave goodbye.

blue73harley 6 years, 11 months ago

I wonder if I could get Lauren's friends to drop me off at work everyday?