Previous   Next

Do you think the Democratically controlled Congress is doing a good job?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 12, 2007

Browse the archives

“I think they’re doing a good job so far, but there’s a long way to go. I am glad they are in charge of Congress, though.”

“I can’t really see that Congress or our executive branch are getting anything done.”

“I think they’re doing a great job. I think the Republicans have been in power for way too long. I think the only way for them to go is full force. Bush can veto whatever he wants, eventually they’re going to take control and do what’s right.”

“I’m really not that big on politics, but I seems to me that they are not enacting the true will of the people.”

Comments

paladin 8 years, 2 months ago

They sure seem ta be a doin a right swell job a doin what congress does regular. Which ain't much or nothin a no account fer regular folks. Jest more shenanigans an more slop fer the fat hogs n not much left over fer a little weeney the likes a me.

conservativepunker 8 years, 2 months ago

The Democrat party is full of Socialists. Until that changes, they will be unable to do what is best for The United States.

drewdun 8 years, 2 months ago

The Republic Party is full of fascists. Until that changes, they will continue to lose elections.

drewdun 8 years, 2 months ago

And yes, the Democrats are doing okay, not great, but then again they have had quite the mess to clean up left by the former majority and the executive branch. All in all, though, I would say that in trying to make college more affordable, trying to balance the budget, checking an out of control president, and, most importantly, trying to bring our troops home from Iraq, they are doing what is best for the United States.

paladin 8 years, 2 months ago

Don't kid yerself. They all in it tagether never mind what party claims em. They all fat an happy as pigs is in a hogwalla on a rainy day. They got theirs an you got squat. If ya think they're a lookin out fer the likes a you, yer just dumb.

Robert bickers 8 years, 2 months ago

The democratic party has succeeded in doing nothing aside from prove it is as corrupt and inept as those they sought to replace. From Pelosi's (treasonous) trip to Syria to her corporate favoritism, her leadership has already set an horrific tone for the next several years. Add in kickbacks to family members and large amounts of cash in freezers and the new congress is far from the exemplary, corruption free body we were promised.

So . . . I guess that's a "no."

TheGoldenBoy 8 years, 2 months ago

Democrats tend to be more honest and well intended than Republicans! When you vote, do so democratically!

james bush 8 years, 2 months ago

Actually, I think the sky is falling everytime I see or hear Harry Reid, or Nancy Pelosi or Ted Kennedy.

paladin 8 years, 2 months ago

Ifin ya think they're doin better, they're jest better at liein and better at foolin ya inta thinkin they're doin better. What ya got is the same ole rusty car that don't start with a new paint job.

Gareth Skarka 8 years, 2 months ago

"From Pelosi's (treasonous) trip to Syria "

Made two weeks AFTER a bunch of Republican congressmen did the same EXACT THING.

I guess they were treasonous too?

Robert bickers 8 years, 2 months ago

It all depends on the discussions and presentations made on the trip. If they presumed to negotiate foreign policy and are not members of the executive branch, that's treason. Doesn't matter who they are. Like it or not, the specific laws broken date back before either party existed in anything resembling their current forms.

I'm not a Republican, despite many people's inherent desire to keep their imaginings all neat and tidy. I think the whole system's broken and the only people who have the power to fix it refuse to, since they'd lose power. Last year they were Republicans, this year they're Democrats, although I presently have a bigger beef with the Dems as I staunchly oppose Socialism. (Look where it got Eastern Europe.)

Topcity, I'd prefer to live here, where women have rights, children have protection from abusive families, and we are free to worship as we please (or don't please) so long as we don't bring injury to others. Don't lump me in with your evil-entity preconceptions just because I disagree with you.

gccs14r 8 years, 2 months ago

No. Bush and Cheney are still in office and our kids are still dying overseas. Fix both of those problems and maybe I'll think they're doing a good job.

paladin 8 years, 2 months ago

He done give up, gonna sell the farm. Fer as he kin tell that's all she wrote, seem like. No hope? Comeon. Them folks is peoples too, jest like us, ceptin poorer and mebe some more cantankerous. Cides, we'd end up having ta pay out the wazoo for them that's not kilt, jest busted up some.

Godot 8 years, 2 months ago

The proper phrase is, "democrat controlled."

Otherwise, the last 12 years would have been described as "republicanly" controlled.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

try Nancy Pelosi for good / bad start. DiFi senator of san francisco steered military construction to her husband's firm through her former position on the military construction subcommittee. Foley didn't touch anybody, Gerry Studds did, and William Jefferson and Nancy Pelosi certainly did touch the money along with DiFi.
[note for those who don't know, DiFi is a local term in northern CA for Diane Feinstein] culture of corruption...through the lookingglass.

Godot 8 years, 2 months ago

Democrat = noun

Republican = noun

Democratic= adjective

Republican = still a noun, but used as an adjective by Democrats who realize that using the term "republicanic" as an adjective to describe things done by Republicans will point out how absolutely ridiculous it is to use the term "democratic" to describe the things done by Democrats.