Previous   Next

How will you spend your stop day?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 11, 2007

Browse the archives

“I might end up doing some studying for my finals. I’ll probably go play outside for a while or maybe even study outside.”

“Probably go out and hike around the lake, because we’ve had such beautiful weather lately.”

“Start off at Jefferson’s, then venture over to the Bull, then make our way to Louise’s West, hop on over to the Jet Lag and then to the Wheel.”

“Well the law school’s stop day was actually last week, so I’ll be spending the day studying for my finals.”

Comments

trinity 7 years, 7 months ago

by going.

i like py's plan-studying clouds&searching for 4-leaf clovers. just came in from a set on the patio/porch with a cup of coffee; mmmmmmm, i think the birds are as happy as i am with this glorious morning. what am i doing in here?? laters! :)

lmpaul 7 years, 7 months ago

I'll spend my day wishing people would STOP being stupid. Waste a day going from bar to bar? Get a life. Do something beneficial- maybe volunteer? Or walk down one of the streets and pick up litter?

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

Since I neither teach nor attend classes here on Mount Olympus I would like to be having coffee on trinity's patio/porch. Instead I'll have to stop reading and work for a while :\

Linda Aikins 7 years, 7 months ago

I guess I'll drive to the middle of the state.

TOB's back!

friday friDAY FRIDAY friday friDAY FRIDAY!! :) :) :) :)

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 7 months ago

I'll watch that sound and look at what's goin' down.

compmd 7 years, 7 months ago

I'll be wishing that there weren't so many stupid students blowing off today and not taking their education seriously. This is the one "reading day" the university gives them, and most waste it on mass street getting trashed. Proud day for them and their families.

JoRight 7 years, 7 months ago

Having a peeing contest with anonymous figures online.

ms_canada 7 years, 7 months ago

OK - what the heck is a stop day? Stop what? I do surmize that it has something to do with the Uni. Sooooooo, stop going to class?, stop studying?, stop being attentive?, stop taking notes? stop being a smart @$$?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

Impaul, Someone threw all of there Mickey D's trash out on my road again last night. You want to start on my street with the volunteer trash pickup?

OK, I'm off to the coffee crawl. Who is hosting margaritas at noon? I could just go steal mine from my neighbor's fridge! Also, they have a nice deck they're not using at the moment so we can drink them there. Sounds like a plan.

Ms_C, Went to uni for 7 years and this is the first I've ever heard of "Stop Day." D'you suppose I missed something?

Oh help me! Someone just started jack hammering my front porch off...can we bump those margaritas up a couple of hours?

jonas 7 years, 7 months ago

Well, I've slept until now, and now I'm going to play video games for the rest of it. This is my day to not worry or even think about school.

You can be jealous if you want to, but how many of you weren't able to sleep the night before last?

SouthernBelle 7 years, 7 months ago

They are just kids. Let them be kids. There is plenty of time for them to be responsible adults. Enjoy!

ms_canada 7 years, 7 months ago

Sunflower - it seems you don't have to attend the Uni to have a stop day. Now let me see,,,,,,,, what can I stop today? I would like to stop the clock, stop the calendar on this gorgeous day here. We have gotten so few this spring that I would like this one to go on forever, well, at least 3 days.

Tony Kisner 7 years, 7 months ago

Looks like a bunch of bitter old people begrudging others youth today. It's a very nice day out maybe you should wander out of the basement and look around.

PY does your plan to get bent some how have a higher purpose that Caitlin's?

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 7 months ago

Don't forget the Mimosas, Py, the perfect breakfast treat. YUMMMMMM . . . . . That's probably the only alcohol I will allow myself before Noon. Well, maybe except the couple of times I had Grand Marinier in coffee, the only way I will drink coffee which I avoid for the vast majrity of time.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 7 months ago

And, Yeah, Goots! Let's keep that conga line going . . . Friday, Friday, Fri-DAY!!!

Linda Aikins 7 years, 7 months ago

Hey - they took away my caps on friDAY! I do like the new rule though. I guess that's our sacrifice on our conga line.

trinity 7 years, 7 months ago

porch crawl, YES! i'll stir up a pitcher of marys while i'm inside, here...hmmm as for the marg's, hows about lunchtime? sounds good to me! :)

awww c'mon EDI-tolerance, m'friend. isn't that what it's all about? you know, some are able to socialize&have a drinkiepoo&not get "bent".

woooooohoooooooooooo, friday friday friDAY!!! friday friday friDAY!!! friday friday friDAY!!! countdown, only 4 days&i can go back to work, yiiippppeeeeeeee! :) enforced idleness does not suite me well. at all.

gather on the porch all, gotta take a stroll down to the post office&see if anything's happening on this vast main street in the town! :)

oh ps-stop day eh? HAWKLET21, get yer nose in a book young lassie! :D

sgtwolverine 7 years, 7 months ago

I don't know; I'll let you know when spring sports are done. Until then, I'll be working.

I love how college has so little to do with the real world. Stop day? Ha!

stuckinthemiddle 7 years, 7 months ago

~chuckle~ It looks like some of these townies could really use a stop day.

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

ms_c: Stop Day is a day of grace, given to students between the last day of classes and the beginning of finals week. Since finals week is Mon thru Fri, Stop Day has become the first day of a long weekend. Three days used by students for whatever is most important to them. Some study, study, study, others party, party, party. In the world of the employed we have cyber patio parties. I'm adding my patio to the tour, with a pitcher of sangria, poured over lots of sliced and hand squeezed fruit, mmmm, very nearly healthy. Bonus is, fruit is acceptable any time of day :)

jonas 7 years, 7 months ago

R-I: That sucks, doesn't it? I hate it when that happens. I's worse here because around 4:30 if there's movement the cats start circling, which makes it toughter to get back to sleep.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 7 months ago

If it's a day between the end of classes and finals, if they had any sense they'd be studying...finals were always a b**ch when I was in college, especially in the upper classes...and we didn't get a damn stop day...

Ah, guys, have a heart...don't do the Friday conga...I work all weekend, and I mean ALL weekend, so my first day at work is today...

However, if you want me to come in here and do a Monday conga, I'd be perfectly happy to...:)

ms_canada 7 years, 7 months ago

Reticent Irreverant - I much prefer the Irish description on the state of inebreiation. sp?? Have you ever been legless? What with ceallach's sangria, someones margueritas, somebody's Grand marnier coffee, that conga line would look like a bunch of legless Paddies today. There might even be a few Geordies mixed in the line, if we are lucky.

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

crazyks: Mondays are good . . we can always use a conga break :)

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

Do kids still go to the Jet Lag? Really? I thought only grumpy old men went there, usually to hide out.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 7 months ago

Since the fire, Ceal, it's a whole new Jet Lag. Jonsey's kids were bring in their friends and it got to be a younger crowd before he sold it. There were pelnty of old farts any time I went to Cactus Jones though.

Oh, hurry 5:00!!! All this talk of liquer is making me want a pitcher of Sex on the Beach so badly! To heck with doing them in shots. Shake 'em and drink 'em out of a martini glass. And for Goddess' sake!! Make 'em right! It's Midori, Chambord, Vodka, pineapple and cranberry. Don't get that Malibu, Peachtree or Orange juice anywhere near my SOTB!! Bloody savages!

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 7 months ago

Oh, Ceal, if you are still wondering where "naughty bits" comes from it's Monty Python schtick.

"And then there's dramatic pause the naughty bits."

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

A_A: Sounds like you better use a couple of "personal leave" hours. Hurry, woman! I don't think you can chance not making it to 5:00 . . an implosion seems likely if you wait :)

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

Well, since I currently have no front porch and no back deck, we can meet for marg's in my tree house. (We will have to use the trap door since the rope bridge is non-functional at the moment...it was attached to the deck.) Ms_C, did you ever go into the treehouse?

A_A, you make SOTB actually sound good. Bring those. Oh, and everyone bring a shovel...I have tons of plants that I have to move today. friday friday friDAY! Who has the Advil?

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 7 months ago

Good idea, Ceal!! But, can I finagle some workman's comp out of imploding in the workplace? Hmmmm . . . that could be messy. Perhaps I could feign a tragic keyboard accident? I can imagine the incident report now . . . "It's just leaped off the tray and on to my foot! I think it's broken!! Oh the humanity!!!"

chemegirlie 7 years, 7 months ago

yes..i see your point compmd...

Since I have spent about 60 hours in the first 4 days of this week working on those last few assignments, designing distillation columns and packed bed reactors, and a 2 hour mass transfer exam-in addition to the final, (the 60hrs not including my hours at my part time job this week) it is incredibly irresponsible of me to "blow off" my education today by taking a breather from studying for finals. I was so "unserious" as to take advantage of the Friday morning, before going to work, to grab some great garage sale deals. I will continue to not take my education serioulsy tonight when my completely sober a$$ works on refinishing one of the garage sale finds before hunkering down for 5 days of solid studying for and taking finals tomorrow morning.

Shame on me!!!

laughingatallofu 7 years, 7 months ago

Well said, chemegirlie!

I just think that compmd needs an enema; after that, he/she'll be allright.

acg 7 years, 7 months ago

I also think we shouldn't bust their chops about partying on stop day. Have fun kids, because as soon as you "grow up" it's a bunch of responsibility and monotony and then, you die!!

Ya'll can come by my porch, I have my own lake. And with the flooding, I now have a new dock (thanks neighbors to the south). I don't drink that froofie sangria and margaritas, though. On my porch, it's whiskey, straight up. If you're a hoosie, you can have a coke chaser. : ) If you're dedicated, you can have a beer chaser and make it a boilermaker. Mmmm, boilermakers.

Happy Friday! And, happy mother's day to all of you mommies out there.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

acg, you sweet thing! I'll have mine straight up. Cool idea for a new dock. Wonder if I can get a deck that way? (Just "borrow" one from the neighbors, that is.)

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

acg, I think we've pretty much dispelled the "grown-ups have to be responsible" myth :P I'm even going to overlook the shot you took at my sangria . . it's always best for me to go the froofie route. My Cherokee blood done whooped the Irish regarding alcohol and too much firewater . . well, let's just say sangria makes me mellow whereas whiskey just makes me mean. :):)

A_A: sounds good to me, you'd be amazed at the crazy injuries people use to file for workman's comp. It can't hurt to try.

FriDAY, FriDAY, FriDAY!!!

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 7 months ago

Damn, this place is dead now. Everyone must be on their deck/porch/patio with their [insert your favorite beverage name here] and I will also with my Green Inguana Margaritas seein's how I have left over tequilla from Cinco de Mayo. But first a toast!!!

To Mom!! After having five children in less than 4 and a half years you kept it together emough to have me and then one more. I owa ya big time! I love you!! Salute!!

jonas 7 years, 7 months ago

Marion: It's something you're too grouchy to enjoy even if you had one.