Previous   Next

How do you feel about the Kansas State Board of Education moving in a more moderate direction?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on May 10, 2007

Browse the archives

“I think it’s wonderful, because I don’t believe that conservative religious values belong in state education. That’s what private schools are for.”

“I don’t have a problem with it. The only thing that would bother me is if they removed intelligent design from the curriculum. I think both theories should be taught.”

“I prefer the more conservative approach, but I think parents have the right to review and make changes to our school system. It takes parents to help balance the schools and keep them focused on our values as a society.”

“I’m thankful, and I think there is yet more room to move to the left. I’m happy about the changes in sex education, and I’d like to see science given it’s rightful place alongside the other subject.”

Comments

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm fresh out of bananas but just had some banana split ice cream (1 scoop)...does that count?

My 4th grader just had her first "sex ed" class in school today, so this conversation seems properly timed. She is one of the "I'm putting my ear guards on now" type of kids...or so I thought. She got in the car and announced that her LAMO (Learning About Myself and Others) class began today. (They pronounce it Lame-O! :)) Then she told me how gross it was that the woman on the film started sprouting hair all over. I asked: "What? Like a Chia Pet? I imagine that would be gross!" Anyway, then she asked me a few puberty related questions...mainly, how old was I, etc... I was pleasantly surprised as she never wants to discuss such things when I bring them up. Maybe she felt OK with it now because she knows that I'm always open to her questions...whatever they are, and now, she's finally ready to hear it from me. Chalk one up for the school system and the "Chia Pet" lady for getting her to open up about "the great change." Woo Hoo!

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

bea, I'm all for wrapping the banana :) I was just saying that kids need to know why the wrap is so important, that the consequences are not merely a greater chance of pregnancy. Also, I'm with you 100% on the general education classes that have often fallen by the wayside in public schools. How fair is it to our kids to complain about the obesity rate in today's children and then all but eliminate their physical education classes? Anytime the bean counters decide something has to go it is usually art, music and/or physical ed. Although I am not in favor of bringing back those horrible gym suits :P

I just finished torturing myself in the backyard so I'm going to take a shower, make a salad and unwrap a banana for dinner, and then go to bed :):)

Manana

blackwalnut 6 years, 11 months ago

Crossfire (Anonymous) says: r-t: What if a higher power created evolution?

Bingo!

Baille 6 years, 11 months ago

"Better start on new editions of textbooks that also make no mention of of Islam, Buddhism or Hinduism to name a few."

Not in science class anyway.

beatrice 6 years, 11 months ago

Ceal, I don't think anyone here is actually against teaching children about the benefits of abstinence and monogamy, even if they also support teaching children how to properly "wrap" a banana, as you put it. In fact, not knowing how to properly "wrap" a banana actually is an instance of "irresponsible sexual activity." If we don't make an effort to teach even this basic and potentially life-saving aspect of adult activity, it might have serious consequences. We shouldn't be too cautious in our educating the young. In this instance, ignorance certainly kills.

del, 30+ years ago I was taught about money management and learned how to balance a check book in high school. I also was taught an appreciation for music, the visual arts, and physical education. I actually think we should go back to this type of "general" education for the masses.

del888 6 years, 11 months ago

I wonder why we are still teaching students the same principles that were taught 30 years ago. They no longer apply. We should be teaching children things like: how to control money, how to stay out of debt, etc. Many kids have no desire to go to college because they see that the people who make the 'big' money are the star athletes, musicians, etc. They know that the old principle of 'go to school, get a good education, go to college, get a good job' doesn't work because they see their parents (who went to college) struggle everyday trying to make ends meet. They see adults getting 'down sized' in the corporate world. We need to make the schools teach 'real world' courses in addition to the current subjects.

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

scene, scene, scene, are you just determined to misunderstand me? I am pro sex education at the junior high and high school levels. I want the instruction to place more emphasis on the possible repercussions of irresponsible sexual activity than it places on the proper way to "wrap" a banana!! The difference between safe and safer is not splitting hairs! Knowing the difference could very well keep someone from getting AIDS. Young women/old girls go to the Watkins Health Center, on an almost daily basis, with some of the most asinine ideas of what constitutes safe sex, it would make just about anyone cry!

Also, I did not say abstinence only, I said mutually monogamous. Or do you think that the younger generation is not capable of doing something that many couples in previous generations were able to do? I think more of them will if they are educated to the emotional and physical benefits associated with monogamy.

MyName 6 years, 11 months ago

Wow, the pictures aren't tiny anymore! Woo hoo! And I'd be alot happier about the outcome if it wasn't for the fact that, due to the way politics are in this state, I'll have no idea what kind of person will be in charge 2 years from now, let alone whenever my future children are in school.

scenebooster 6 years, 11 months ago

"scene, I thought you established that you know what I know and think on another thread yesterday :)'

Tell me you disagree with that previous statement...BTW, I wouldn't begin to attempt to understand your thought process.

"But just for the sake of clarification, I do not think that school age children should be taught that by practicing "safe" techniques they can be sexually active without hurting or compromising themselves or their partner(s)."

There are huge problems with your positing that this is what is being taught, and what do you mean by school age? We're talking about high schoolers here...you think they don't watch TV, see movies or listen to music?

You act as if teachers are marching into grade school classrooms and telling the youngsters "no, get on your knees like this"...

"Most grown-ups know that there is no such thing as safe sex . . there is "safer" sex, but not safe."

Talk about splitting hairs! Let's wait 'til they get AIDS, or herpes, and then breach the subject. The evidence is in, friend - abstinence only DOES NOT work.

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

But just for the sake of clarification, I do not think that school age children should be taught that by practicing "safe" techniques they can be sexually active without hurting or compromising themselves or their partner(s). Most grown-ups know that there is no such thing as safe sex . . there is "safer" sex, but not safe. Other than mutually monogamous relationships, no sexual activity is 100% safe. And that is only addressing the physical aspects of premature sexuality. The emotional pitfalls of such relationships can be crushing to mature adults, let alone to adolescents. That is what I think should be emphasized in educating our youngsters. Really!

OZ 6 years, 11 months ago

. . . . It's good to see that Intelligence and not "intelligent design" will be the order of the day. One less thing for which Kansas will be an international laughingstock.

It will be a pleasure when these Radical, Ignorant, Bigoted, X-tian, republiSCUM CONservatives have all finally died out.

right_thinkerTHING, WHEN are you going to ENLIST in the United States Military and GO TO IRAQ, keyboard commando coward . . . Praise CHEESES and TAX ALL CULTS ! ! ! . . .

scenebooster 6 years, 11 months ago

"While we're at it, why bother teaching children that it is wrong to lie, to cheat, or to steal. You know they are going to have those urges . . so why not teach them the best ways to do "whatever" with minimal or no consequences."

Do you really think this way? I mean, really???

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

bea, are you saying that children should not be taught to cover up their "naughty bits" in public? BTW, where did you come up with "naughty bits" anyway? Teaching children modesty in respect to their private parts is not tantamount to teaching him/her that they have "naughty bits." Where is Sigmund Freud when we need him?

beatrice 6 years, 11 months ago

Do parents really rely on schools to teach values? I think that is too large an assumption and feel that most parents do attempt to teach values at home. Ask any pre-teen child what they think of a given topic, and chances are that they will espouse what they heard their parents saying. Where the problem comes in is when the parents have a messed up value system. For instance, people who claim they don't want their kids learning anything about sex, but they don't mind sitting around after dinner (purchased through a window on the way home) watching the blood and gore on CSI with their 8 year old. Or worse, American Idol, which could have a long-lasting effect on a child's appreciation of real music!

sue -- naughty bits = those bits that absolutely must be covered up when in public.

jhawkjjm 6 years, 11 months ago

Beatrice- that's the problem, there is no teaching at home, parents are relying on the schools to teach their kids values and whatnot. And then they throw hissy fits when the schools try to teach them something they don't agree with. Heaven forbid a parent is active in their child's education and talk to them and teach them things at home. But that might just confuse the poor child and we can't have any of that.

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm pleased. As pleased as I can be right now.

uhhhgggg. . . I haven't pulled an all-nighter to write a paper in a long time.

beatrice 6 years, 11 months ago

Teaching abstinence only is a failed policy. Changing the standards to include actual education about human sexuality makes sense -- as long as you are a rational, thinking person. It is high time to get past religious teachings that make people feel bad for having "naughty bits."

But don't worry, conservative parents. I'm sure there will still be plenty of opportunities for you to screw your kids heads up at home.

Crossfire 6 years, 11 months ago

I believe in de-evoluition. Conrad Hilton...4 generations later...Paris.

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

The same way I feel about Kansas weather. You don't like it . . just wait a while . . it will change :)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 11 months ago

I don't know...

The sex-ed standards are kinda discriminatory... Pushing abstinence until marriage?
A gay or lesbian couple in Kansas can't have sex unless they move to Vermont. Unless we use the Clinton definition of sex... Maybe upon completion of sex-ed they should give the kids one of those t-shirts that says: I gave my word, I will stop at third..

goatdog 6 years, 11 months ago

Hey stupid christians! You're going to lose your war! Your greedy christian war! You're gonna lose your war! Your filthy christian war!

So tell me, christian pigs! When will your brave George Bush enjoy his open car motorcade parade through the streets of your beloved and liberated Baghdad? Will there be flowers and candy? I hope it's televised live.

Crossfire 6 years, 11 months ago

"I Feel Good"! "I knew that you would."

Crossfire 6 years, 11 months ago

I wonder if the design was all that Intelligent.

blue73harley 6 years, 11 months ago

To quote the late, great Godfather of Soul, "I Feel Good"!

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 11 months ago

You mean ID? That's what got the school board/SP's underpants in a bunch to begin with.

Crossfire 6 years, 11 months ago

r-t What if a higher power created evolution?

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 11 months ago