Previous   Next

Do you think Gov. Sebelius should sign the funeral picketing bill?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 31, 2007

Browse the archives

“I’m definitely leaning towards yes, because it is a funeral and there are better and more tasteful places to picket.”

“Yeah, I think she should. That should be a time for families to deal with their grief and not be bombarded with these issues.”

“I think that she should unless it’s obviously going to become a First Amendment fiasco.”

“Yes. Governor Sebelius should sign the legislation, but does this mean we can’t picket Fred Phelps’ funeral?”

Comments

sgtwolverine 7 years, 8 months ago

Seriously, Gootsie. Nothing else need be said after Sarah's genius.

mick 7 years, 8 months ago

The Phelps' will just find something else. Their livelihood depends on offending people to the point that some government will violate their constitutional rights and then they sue that government for a lot of money.

paladin 7 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, sure. Why not? Might stir things up some. Make the news more interesting for awhile.

H_Lecter 7 years, 8 months ago

Weddings need to added to that legislation.

The man has ruined the two most significant life/death events of people's lives.

I love to spend some time with him in my basement (to get inside his head).

Bone777 7 years, 8 months ago

I don't know why there is all this "Phelps" bashing.

He is setting swimming world records right and left...

Aileen Dingus 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm torn on this.

Yes- it would be wonderful if grieving families and friends didn't have to put up with stupid BS while they're quite possibly trying to pick up pieces of shattered lives and figure out how to go on.

On the other hand- quite often, it could be said that the very soldiers' whose funerals are being picketed had died supporting the US Constitution and all it stands for. INCLUDING the right of buttnuggets to picket funerals and hurl epithets etc. So to deny the buttnuggets that right would be kind of, um- disrespectful? I can't think of the right word.

RushIsRight 7 years, 8 months ago

"grandmesa said yeah 75x55.... get your guns get your truck watch your FOX news from your trailer... praise that non existant god....

yeah buddy!!!"

Wow.. Implying someone is a rightwing redneck from a leftist comment.. Remember, more lefties cry about their 1st Amendment Protections than righties..

ksmom 7 years, 8 months ago

Word for the day: BUTTNUGGETS

Now, we just need the definition. LOL I love it!

ksmom 7 years, 8 months ago

Don't go making some law that will not hold up in court. I'd rather let them picket and then get their arses rearranged by some other "buttnugget" group. What goes around comes around. I'm almost certain that when Phelps and all his clan start to die off, there will be picketers at their funerals as well. Most likely from all over the country.

paladin 7 years, 8 months ago

They just may be picketing right outside the Pearly Gates, cause they've all been refused admission. And, I'll be astanding around there a laffin my buttnuggets off, out.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 8 months ago

I know that words have incited me to do many things I would not have otherwise done. The whole "sticks and stones" is BS. (Even 5 yr olds know this)

Buttnuggets is a great word.

H_L, you crack me up (hopefully not literally).

Jace 7 years, 8 months ago

Gee, the posters "buttnuggets" and "gandmesa" sure didn't last long...did they?

Jace 7 years, 8 months ago

excuse me, I meant "grandmesa".

And as far as the question goes.....I think that keeping the Phelps clan about a block or so away from the church (during a military funeral) is sufficient enough.

Crossfire 7 years, 8 months ago

Would not a Honeywagon with a sprayer be a High-Velocity Liquified Buttnugget Delivery System?

Hivel Bud-Sys...

Harry_Manback 7 years, 8 months ago

It's disturbing that there are individuals who feel the need to picket a funeral, but free speech is Constitutionally protected, and like it or not, we need to uphold free speech. Protecting the Constitution is more important than hurt feelings, in my opinion.

Kathy Getto 7 years, 8 months ago

We should fight hate speech with MORE speech, like the Patriot Guards.

Meatwad 7 years, 8 months ago

Phelps' backward crew wants this bill to go through so they can fight it at higher levels, thus getting national attention as opposed to just local/regional. Anytime they are getting attention, they are fed. Attention is their sole form of nutrition. Let's cut off their feeding tube.

Meatwad 7 years, 8 months ago

Sarah Martin: that is the best comment I've ever read in this section! Good one!!

ksmom 7 years, 8 months ago

Freds' Epitaph should read:

Here lies the sorriest Buttnugget in the land. North, South, East, and West. May worms and maggots crawl where his warped ass rests.

Ok, that was harsh! Quick-quick- remove this post!

Aileen Dingus 7 years, 8 months ago

:) Glad to have supplied a new word. I think you can all figure out your own personal meaning for it.

Bill Chapman 7 years, 8 months ago

I have a idea - for every protest by Phelps's Phools, there should be at least 5 video cameras there to tape the protesters. Then, every tape should be gone over by lawyers to see if any protester can be sued in court. Do this often enough (with high enough $$ amounts) and the protests might stop. Even churches require money to continue operation. If the church members have no money, the church will starve (of course so will the members - but that's' not a bad side effect/bonus).

In another world (where it would be possible), I like the idea of dumping the entire contents of a honey wagon in the church as a protest against the church. Maybe even seal the base of the doors so nothing can get out til someone opens the doors. Free expression can really be a bitch - if someone can twist it to their advantage (kinda like Phelps has).