Previous   Next

Do you think the Wakarusa Festival will go more smoothly this year than last year?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 30, 2007

Browse the archives

“I hope they take it easy with the busts and surveillance. Obviously they need to make sure people are safe, but leave them alone and let them have their fun. That’s what the festival’s all about.”

“I hope that it will. I think it will go more smoothly, and I think it will be a really fun time.”

“I think it will be exactly the same. No matter what they do, kids are going to find a way to get drugs in because that’s just a part of the festival. People will still get caught, but they’ll just be a fraction of the drug users and sellers.”

“Yes, because it couldn’t get any worse. I think a lot of the trouble makers will be scared away by what happened last year.”

Comments

cool 7 years ago

who knows i am too old to go there......

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

Bea,

"I'm picturing the riot squad scene from Soylent Green with people being scooped up by bulldozers at random"

I have heard there is some hellacious pieces of furniture at the fest.

grandmesa 7 years ago

I find it sick how people here can bad mouth the waka fest yet say nothing about the larger drunk fest known as the stampede.....100,000 drunk hicks who come to get drunk, play some tim mcgraw, get drunk, throw a rock at a marine, get drunk, join the army, get drunk and crash thier truck..... The REDnecks need to leave the wakafest alone. puck the folice!

beatrice 7 years ago

neo-hippies! I've never heard that -- great play on neo-cons. As the saying goes, everything old is new again.

spacehog 7 years ago

I just hope more people wear deodorant this year. It really stunk last year. These neo-hippies don't realize that all people should take care of their hygiene, even if it means wasting a little water. I hope they have a band I've heard of this year, like the Goo Goo Dolls, Hootie and the Blowfish, or the Gin Blossoms. Anything but Bluegrass. I really hate Bluegrass music.

beatrice 7 years ago

I wonder if those who want people busted using any means possible for smoking pot wouldn't also mind if cameras were set up on all streets to make sure nobody goes over the speed limit? If you do, you get a ticket in the mail. Does that fit into your police state views?

Kontum1972 7 years ago

OVERKILL?....once they are down u pump a few more rounds into them to make sure they dont get back-up off the ground...that kind of overkill?

DonQuipunch 7 years ago

Badger:

Are you suggesting America's drug problem would be better if we hadn't concentrated resources on combating it?

But wait, let me guess--you have a better solution, right?

Besides, I never said the War on Drugs was perfect--just that in the case of WakaFest that I have no qualms in a little "overkill" correcting a problem if that is, indeed, the end result.

Kontum1972 7 years ago

AS SMOOTH AS BONG WATER..BUDZO!

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

don't know, don't care. I'd rather go to Ms C's fest.

ram67rod 7 years ago

Bunch of stupid hippies is all this festival is!

Plus, the music is terrible. No wonder they try and sneak all the drugs they can in. If you take enough drugs who cares what the music sounds like!

badger 7 years ago

DQ -

Yeah, cause those billions of dollars we've been throwing at the War on Drugs for the last few decades are gonna pay off Any Day Now...

tony88 7 years ago

you exposed yourself in public view? just kidding... sorry, alm.. my mistake

alm77 7 years ago

tony88? huh? I've been there twice. I loved it. What I didn't love was finding out later that my changing clothes in my car in the dark was probably caught on tape with NIGHT VISION CAMERAS. You win the prize for ass-u-ming too much.

tony88 7 years ago

in true conservative fashion, i say let the "free market" handle the drug problem

75x55 7 years ago

Make 'em pass through the drug-dog gauntlet - if you can get through without making Buddy sit down, you're good to go.

"Enjoy ya-self, have a great time, nice having ya, ... oh, Buddy looks tired. YOU, ca'mere. Go over there and talk to Officer Jellyfinger..."

DonQuipunch 7 years ago

No one's saying hippies should be allowed to break the law, just that the money, time, and effort invested into maintaining the kind of police presence that was at WakFest last year could probably be better spent... ...,but aside from busting the people who attend with the intent of dealing, it doesn't really accomplish a whole lot outside of collecting a bunch of cash in fines and court fees, and maybe warehousing a few hippies for a few nights in the lockup.<<<

While the initial investment of resources may seem over-the-top, I doubt it is going to take many more consecutive years of this kind of police presence before people get the hint and stop the widespread illegal activity (you might notice that people haven't forgotten last year). It's money well spent if it takes drugs off of the streets and squashes this misconception so many have that this type of illegal activity is "okay" if you're in a large enough crowd or somehow "justified" if it's just a bunch of "harmless" people "getting happy."

It's not so much the delegation of force I'm against than the attitude of entitlement--of outright indignation that "The Man" is keeping people down by enforcing existing laws.

Confrontation 7 years ago

I don't believe that having a large drugfest is beneficial to the community. I know that not every person out there is doing drugs, but I'd bet that at least half are breaking some law. I'd love to see an increase in police at the event. If you're not doing anything illegal, then you should have no problem with that. If you can only have fun while partying with crackheads, then who cares what you prefer? We shouldn't ignore the laws just because a bunch of crappy bands are coming to town.

badger 7 years ago

DQ -

No one's saying hippies should be allowed to break the law, just that the money, time, and effort invested into maintaining the kind of police presence that was at WakFest last year could probably be better spent. Yeah, heading out there and busting a bunch of hippies means you can go into your year-end budget meeting and claim a whole lot of resolved drug cases, but aside from busting the people who attend with the intent of dealing, it doesn't really accomplish a whole lot outside of collecting a bunch of cash in fines and court fees, and maybe warehousing a few hippies for a few nights in the lockup.

ms_canada 7 years ago

OH MAN - is festival time almost upon us? We still have snow on the ground. But I better start getting ready for festival. Folk music festival that is. gotta get on the website to see who is coming.

Das_Ubermime 7 years ago

ABC?! TOB? Since when was basic cable involved in regulating drugs? That would be pretty crazy if the Supernanny was out there bustin' people for pot! I would pay to see that.

Honestly, I think the presence will probably be less than last year, but more than the years before. Then again, my bracket didn't turn out so well this year, so it may not be wise to trust my predictive capabilities.

Gootsie 7 years ago

TOB, you sound like me and sunburns. I always forget that I burn under a 100-watt bulb and think I can be outside without sunscreen for 15 minutes. I can't! And again, I'm old - you think I would learn.

DonQuipunch 7 years ago

Is there an argument I'm missing that explains why hippies should be entitled to break the law?

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

Gootsie - All the time. Every spring. Cleaning out the garden and yard. Every year, "ahh, it's too early for poison ivy." About the end of May I figure out to avoid the stuff.

Jace - LPD has no jurisdiction over Clinton Lake. However, DoCo, Homeland Secuirty, KBI, FBI, ABC, and the ATF do and they are protecting us from a new form of terrorism... Hippiedom.

Crossfire 7 years ago

Forget the dope... Remember the girl, ten feet tall, with the giant Hula-Hoop.

Jace 7 years ago

That depends..........Will the LPD and/or the Douglas County Sheriff's Dept. have lots and lots of hidden cameras at the festival....so as to catch all of them pot deals?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

Goots,

"R_I, you forgot tree-hugging."

Is that the new P.C. label for "Free Love"?

Does that mean T_O_B has to report his rash to the Health Department?

DonQuipunch 7 years ago

People have drugs.

Police arrest people with drugs.

The humanity!

Gootsie 7 years ago

Bummer Bob! I remember having one in grade school, and I'm old! Do you get it a lot?

friday friDAY FRIDAY!!!!! friday friDAY FRIDAY!!!!

(Where's T?)

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

R_I -

I can only imagine the carnage Homeland Security would bust on a hippie's ass if he was caught ingesting Geritol.

Gootsie -

Too much poison oak. Speaking of which, I just got my first poison ivy rash. Must be Spring!

Gootsie 7 years ago

R_I, you forgot tree-hugging.

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

Is that coming up already? It seems like the big debate over last year's festival just happened.

Bea, thanks for the Soylent Green people scooper reference. That put a smile on my face.

badger 7 years ago

Y'know, if ya wanna go to the music festival and get a little happy while you listen to the music, I'm cool with that. You and your buddies want to pool some funds for a communal stash, and head off to a secluded area for a private smoke, you're not driving or operating heavy machinery, you're not in anyone else's space, you're not exposing people to the smoke against their will, it's all good in my book. I have no problem with the things consenting adults do together, be they sexual or drug-related.

But when you start pushing drugs on strangers who may not want them, exposing people (who might have jobs that do random drug testing, or who simply might not want those chemicals in their bodies) to your drugs, pressuring kids, and telling people that they shouldn't come to a public place if they don't want to be exposed to your habits, you've crossed a line I'm not cool with.

I run around in communities where a little pot smoking is no big deal; the smokers are respectful of other peoples' space, they keep it private and don't flaunt the fact that they're breaking the law. 'Not being a jerk' is really a good way to keep excessive police presence out of places like music festivals.

ksmom 7 years ago

I won't be attending one anytime soon. Went to the first two. Took my kids to the second one for some "quality family fun." What a huge mistake! I spent the first day chasing drug pushers out of our camp site! At the time, my boys were 12 and 10 years old! One of them was asking my kids if they wanted to buy some (forget what he called it). Turns out, the guy informed me it was "Chrystal Meth" in it's purist form! At that point, I became a raging bear! The druggie said to me: "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuude, if you don't want drugs around yeeeeeeeer kid, yaaa shouldn't bringem here!" With that, I said: "DUUUUUUUUDE, if you don't want your ass kicked, stay the (explicative) away from my kids!" With that, he slithered off into the night. I immediately called a family friend and had them come to pick up my kids. We couldn't get out of our camp site because we were surrounded by campers. No way in, no way out! lol As we were walking to meet our friend, I instructed the boys not to accept ANYTHING from ANYONE! Sure enough, some druggie tried to sell my kids some "Goo Goo Brownies." What the faaaaaaaa? To that, I say let the LPD and whatever law enforcement do their job. I'd gladly pay them extra just to keep the idots away.

big_blue 7 years ago

the sheriff's dept and k.b.i. tried their best to squash the festival last year. all that surveillance and car searching (and disruption of law abiding citizens) for just a handful of arrests.

barney fife would've been proud!

given their doublespeak and antics since last year's mess, i expect they'll somehow top themselves this year.

nevertheless, wakarusa organizers will ONCE AGAIN put up with all of that law-enforcementy-nonsense to deliver a great festival experience.

waka waka!

ps: no one reads these comments

beatrice 7 years ago

I'm picturing the riot squad scene from Soylent Green with people being scooped up by bulldozers at random, so I guess my response must be no, it won't go more smoothly.

Crossfire 7 years ago

...roach toking commies?... Tell us how you really feel. ........quiet disrespect.........

thare 7 years ago

Big bands? What happened to Wilco and the Flaming Lips? Waka isn't the amazing festival everyone around here seems to think it is. All the other big hippie-slanted shows can get bands like My Morning Jacket...last year the big one in Manchester, Tenn. (I forget its name) had RADIOHEAD! Seriously this festival is barely on the map and drugs are probably the only way to make it interesting.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

T_O_B,

Should I infer that you are implying the Wakarusa Festival is a geriatric event?

Is Geritol® illicit?

Those damn senescent hippie, pinko, commie, flag burning, granola eating, Birkenstock wearing, horn honking, roach toking, misdemeanor fine paying, miscreants.

tony88 7 years ago

congratulations, alm77. you win the prize for self-righteous contempt with other people's lifestyles

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

Holy moses. "I'm going again." Coffee. I may be going aging as well though.

ACG - Waka will sell out again this year. Widespread and Ben Harper fill Starlight when they play in KC (6-8000). WSP just sold out 2 nights at the Uptown well in advance of the shows. Not to mention 70 other bands. Waka did what they had to and brought in the big bands.

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

I'm going aging. Been to the past two and I am expecting another good time this year.

People forget that 1/2 the arrests last year were MIPs. Less than 1/2 a percent of attendees were arrested on drug charges. The asounding police presense sure didn't justify the outcome. I hope the citizens of KS are happy where there tax dollars went that weekend.

acg 7 years ago

LOL consumer. I don't think Wak Fest is going to be as popular this year as it has in the past few years. No one wants to try to party with a bunch of narcs and cops around. That's just a buzz kill.

consumer1 7 years ago

Before all the bleeding hearts start with the whining, remember, 'drugs are illegal" They are lucky the PO-LEICE don't file druf trafficing charges. Come, enjoy, have fun, Leave your drugs at home. Buy some here, support our local economy.

Crossfire 7 years ago

Yo Mama's Big Fat Booty Band is headlining. How could it get any smooooother?

alm77 7 years ago

I don't know if it will go more smoothly, but I'm not going either way.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

Smoothly?

Define smoothly?

Was it an arduous endeavor last year?

blue73harley 7 years ago

Nope. I think "the man" will have the check lanes ready. For whatever reason, I believe someone or some group is trying to get this festival moved. Okay, I will put on my tinfoil hat and hide from the black helicopters now.