Previous   Next

Do you think all of Kansas University’s men’s basketball players will be back next year?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 26, 2007

Browse the archives

“No. I think we might lose one or two. I’m thinking Rush and maybe Chalmers, but he might stay one more year. It seems like they’ve gotten the most exposure.”

“Actually, I think they’ll all come back with exception of maybe Brandon Rush. He’s the question mark.”

“Yeah. I think they will. They’re going to be hungry for a national title, and I think they’re all still young enough. I don’t think they’re quite ready for the NBA.”

“I don’t think they’ll all be back. Either because they go pro or because of other circumstances.”

Comments

Kuku_Kansas 7 years, 9 months ago

I don't see the stock value of Brandon Rush nearly as high as the other "marquee" players around the country, particularly the 1st year college players that are only playing D-I ball, because of the NBA's 1-year-in-college-policy.

We heard all year how nobody on KU is selfish and the go-to guy. They were so team-oriented, that it was difficult to see who would step-up each game to win the close games for us.

I have a feeling everybody returns, but what the heck do I know. I'm totally guessing off my own personal hunch.

jonas 7 years, 9 months ago

I'm thinking everyone returns. They've always acted as a team (sometimes too much so) thus far, and they are continuing to improve. I think they all know that they can only get better by sticking together.

Bone777 7 years, 9 months ago

No, I think Matt Kleinmann will go pro

"in something other than basketball."

Unix_Admin 7 years, 9 months ago

Someone has got to leave. With the two new recruits they have coming in next year, they will be over the scholorship limit. And yes, I know Matt Kleinmann will be taken off of his scholorship next year. That said, I think it will be Brandon Rush and maybe even Darrell Arthur. Niether is ready for the pro's but that dosen't mean anything.

sourpuss 7 years, 9 months ago

Hannah Walton worries me. "Other circumstances." That is just flippin' ominous...

RonBurgandy 7 years, 9 months ago

No player is ready for the NBA, but when it comes to the money, it's hard to turn down. I sure hope they all return, Rush is the biggest ? and Wright is a more distant second. I don't see Chalmers leaving, especially how he played on Sat.

EireishHawk 7 years, 9 months ago

We were out-coached. UCLA's coach adjusted his team to deal with KU's game, Self did not do the same. Hitting a wall of blue everytime we approached our goal proved to be too frustrating for our team. Maybe next year both the team and the coach will be more seasoned to the pressure of the NCAA Tournament. Note to self: if it didn't work throughout the first half, it's probably not going to work in the second half.

That said, making it to the Elite 8 is a great thing, having a bad game at that level is not a disgrace.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

I'm w/ blue...time to move on to another sport for a bit.

How do you celebrate "Spinach festival day?"

Jace 7 years, 9 months ago

Well, hopefully none of them will get into a fight, stabbing and/or shooting at some area nightclub....and then end up arrested and/or cut from the program!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

Q: What's the difference between spinach and boogers? A: You can't get your kids to eat spinach!

Linda Aikins 7 years, 9 months ago

I think Troy the waiter nailed it. I would love to see them all return for another year of maturity. It was so hard watching that game Saturday. I was completely quiet for the last 15 minutes, and that's just unheard of for me in a game. I was tired of getting my hopes up for a good offensive play, only to have it become a turnover.

Great joke Sue!! hahaha!

Kontum1972 7 years, 9 months ago

other circumstances,* mb bush/cheneys war lets see how far they can lob grenades no nba draft mb the mil draft its right around the corner folks. Quotas not being made. Its like a CD with a skip in it same old song and no big dance..lets support Special Olympics instead. OBTW, nice pearl necklace Hannah.

bevy 7 years, 9 months ago

Well, Couranna, now I'm SURE you're a COMMIE (just kidding) How can you not love baseball? The rhythm of it, the music of it. The soundtrack of my childhood summers.

The sweet THWACK of a ball hitting the catcher's mitt... a cloud of dust as the runner does a diving slide into second... the rhythmic chanting of "hey batter batter batter" carried on the sweet June evening air...Denny and Denny talking us through another dismal season of Royals baseball...All that, and Chili Dogs Too!! Who could ask for more??

bevy 7 years, 9 months ago

Touche on the Cuba thing. Made me laugh. Did you know that Fidel Castro actually tried out as a pitcher for a US professional baseball team? Imagine how the history of this hemisphere might have changed, had he made the cut?

Boggles the mind.

thomgreen 7 years, 9 months ago

Out coached? You can't coach a team to make the other team miss gimme shots. They had a bad game, SIU can probably lay claim to us losing more against UCLA than UCLA can. If we would have played any other team other than SIU before the UCLA game we would have probably have won. They had a great season and you can't take anything away from that. Brandon is about the only one possibly leaving for the NBA and even he probably won't go. Anyone else would be an idiot to leave at this point. But then again, lot's of people would take getting paid millions to sit on the end of the bench.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

thomgreen, sign me up! I want that bench job...with the $millions, of course! :)

Confrontation 7 years, 9 months ago

Sounds like JLo is a little jealous that he never made it out of high school junior varsity basketball.