Previous   Next

Do you have reservations about eating food with genetically modified ingredients?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 25, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yes. It’s hard to avoid, and I’m sure I do eat some. I try to avoid it just because I don’t like to mess with Mother Nature.”

“Yes, definitely. I don’t have any scientific reason. I just don’t believe it’s healthy and I don’t know what effect it has on other crops as far as keeping the strains pure.”

“No. I trust most of the food that comes from the grocery store. It seems OK to me.”

“If I had a choice and the prices were equal, I would rather have non-genetically modified food. But I haven’t seen any research that says that it’s detrimental to your health to eat it.”

Comments

Bone777 7 years, 6 months ago

I have noticed after eating genetically modified beef that my biceps are extremely burly.

No, I don't have a problem with it.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 6 months ago

No, I just show up and there's usually an empty table for me.

Oh, and I'm sorry about the KU game. They went out a little bit like my local high school team did las week -- it's frustrating to watch. And Michigan's hockey team got bounced from the tourney yesterday, too, in a lousy game (8-5).

lunacydetector 7 years, 6 months ago

i think i saw a guy that looks like a musician going into the Merc, but what do i know, they all look the same.

what's good enough for christine is good enough for me.

jonas 7 years, 6 months ago

No reservations, provided it's been modified by a man in an old castle out on the moors, who laughs maniacally at whatever he just modified.

classclown 7 years, 6 months ago

Not if I want to realize my potential of being a caped avenger someday.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 6 months ago

There is no guarantee that GMO foods are NOT ingredients in boxed foods UNLESS it is organic. It would not matter if it were Whole Foods/Wild Oats/The Merc private natural food label. All ingredients must be organic.

GMO seeds by Monsanto are laced with round-up. Monsanto has bought up most seed brands which makes evermore difficult to avoid. Farming with Monsanto somehow lacks that earthy feeling.

China is saying no: http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsstory.cfm/newsid/ 33606/story.htm

Government Concerns: http://www.mercola.com/2004/feb/7/gmo_food_report.htm

New Monsanto and GMO Propaganda: Seeds of Irreversible Change ... Apart from their alleged biodegradability, Monsanto presents its Roundup Ready transgenic seeds as being "climate friendly" because using them would allow ... www.mindfully.org/GE/GE2/ Monsanto-Propaganda-Irreversible.htm - 26k -

Linda Endicott 7 years, 6 months ago

I have reservations about it...but since the damn stuff is everywhere anymore, I don't think there's any way to totally avoid it.

I mean, really, people lived for centuries with the same old kinds of cows, sheep, chickens, crops...altering that to make something bigger, supposedly better, more hardy, whatever...just doesn't sit well with me.

Whatever you can say about it, it's not natural. If it was natural, it would be occuring by itself in these food sources, and it rarely does.

I know farmers have had some problems with genetically altered crops, because they tend to take over the whole field, and they're more difficult to eradicate than weeds.

Long term? It hasn't really been done for long enough to know any long term effects on people. We might know more about it in 20 or 30 years.

By which time, if there is a serious problem, it will be more difficult to take care of.

Would you think it was okay and safe if they were genetically altering people?

number3of5 7 years, 6 months ago

How many of you people out there eat foods that are hybrids? How do you think they got these? Maybe they didn't splice genes to create them, but they did select the qualities that they wanted to create new and different types of plants, including the wheat we use to make breads. How can altering the genes be any different? Or must we all go back to eating ears of corn that are the original maize, wheat that is more of a wild grass, and fruits and vegetables that are called "heritage" plants? If we do that, how long will it be before the world has a shortage of food and anyone who does't know how to grow their own will go hungry?

H_Lecter 7 years, 6 months ago

I've noticed that it makes muscle much harder to cut through...luckily I have a power saw.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 6 months ago

Generally, I try to avoid food that has become self-aware.

beatrice 7 years, 6 months ago

You now have to make reservations to eat that stuff? Is there a general number to call, or do we just dial up the local grocer to let them know we are coming to shop? Will they set aside a cart with your name on it if you make reservations?

sourpuss 7 years, 6 months ago

Actually, corn and rice are "genetically modified" albeit through horicultural means and not gene splicing.

I would say the bigger risk in terms of health is the sea of chemicals in which we live. There are thousands of chemicals that have not been tested as to their affects on either humans or the environment, much less what happens when these chemicals get combined. Some of them have extremely long lives and do not break down easily.

Ultimately, the Earth doesn't care, it is only our particular futures on it that we are affecting. Perhaps that is what got the dinosaurs: chemicals and genetically modified foods. Oh, and smoking (Gary Larson has a photograph)

Sigmund 7 years, 6 months ago

Kind of depends on how it has been "genetically modified." Traditional hybrids are fine, gene splicing from one plant or species to another, not so much.

james bush 7 years, 6 months ago

No, because I trust the food and drug(FDA) people.....that sounds gullible, doesn't it!?

Richard Heckler 7 years, 6 months ago

Bottom line: If it's not organic assume it is GMO.

Bone777 7 years, 6 months ago

Bea - regarding the game last night, the Jahawks shooting was like the Dems foreign policy.

A little off!

mick 7 years, 6 months ago

"It's not nice to fool with Mother Nature." That was an ad for an oleomargarine about thirty years ago. Maybe they were inadvertently on to something. Sometimes it takes 30 years to tell.

budwhysir 7 years, 6 months ago

In tommorows world, this would probably be better than the alternative of starving

james bush 7 years, 6 months ago

On now, irradiated raw veges are gggrrrrrraaaeeeetttt!

james bush 7 years, 6 months ago

On NBC Dateline that is...........everyone knows this outfit wouldn't hurt anyone on purpose..............even a known terrorist taking aim at a US serviceman!

denak 7 years, 6 months ago

I suppose I would want to know why it was genetically modified. If by genetically modified, they mean that it has been tampered with so that it doesn't spoil as quick, I wouldn't have a problem with that. I do know that they are doing this to tomatos. I have also read that certain food like grains are being genetically modiefied so that they last longer so they can be shipped to poorer countries.

If we can genetically modify a food where it doesn't spoil as quickly and this leads to a decrease in preservatives, then I am all for it.

All those chemicals we use to preserve our food isn't healthy and some people suspect it is the reason females are starting puberty earlierr and may be a cause for cancer, so if by genetically modifying something decreases the chances of these things, I think it is ok.

Personally, I think it is the wave of the future and I don't think 20 years from now, most people will even think twice about it.

Dena

Linda Endicott 7 years, 6 months ago

Hybrids are quite different from the kinds of things I think they're referring to. Hybrids result merely from breeding plants with desirable traits.

It doesn't include gene splicing, or eliminating genes or adding genes. When they start adding corn genes to wheat, or things like that, it becomes a concern to me. Actually, I'm pretty sure they've already done that. Problem is, they don't tell anyone which crops they've done it to, or which farmers grow it, or which grocery store those crops have found their way into. So you couldn't avoid it even if you wanted to.

It's akin to giving cattle hormones so they'll give more milk. Or so they'll have more meat. Not natural at all, and I'm afraid we'll have problems from it somewhere down the road.

And moving atoms or attempting to join them is entirely different from splitting them...

Sigmund 7 years, 6 months ago

Scientists have created the world's first human-sheep chimera - which has the body of a sheep and half-human organs. The sheep have 15 per cent human cells and 85 per cent animal cells - and their evolution brings the prospect of animal organs being transplanted into humans one step closer. Professor Esmail Zanjani, of the University of Nevada, has spent seven years and £5million perfecting the technique, which involves injecting adult human cells into a sheep's foetus. http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=444436&in_page_id=1770&in_a_source=

Lamb chops anyone??

james bush 7 years, 6 months ago

Why, if GNF could harm humanity, haven't Al (the sky is falling) Gore or Michael(rich was bad til I are one) Moore made a movie about it????

james bush 7 years, 6 months ago

GMF= genetically modified food

Flap Doodle 7 years, 6 months ago

I try to avoid eating things that have mastered the technique of copy/paste.

billfreese 7 years, 6 months ago

This rice is different than most GM foods. It produces recombinant human milk proteins that have drug-like effects. jimincountry says he trusts the food and drug people (FDA) to regulate this stuff. Guess what? Even though this rice is both food and drug, FDA has not approved it! And Ventria has been trying to get FDA approval for at least two years. Dont' believe me? Check out http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~rdb/opa-g162. USDA is in charge here, and they've been unable to stop other experimental GM rice from getting into our food. Southern rice growers are finding unapproved GM varieties in their rice, and they can't find enough uncontaminated seed to plant this year! You can't trust the government or Ventria on this. This stuff should not be grown!

Emily Hadley 7 years, 6 months ago

"I trust most of the food that comes from the grocery store."

Wow.

Like, they wouldn't sell it if it was bad for you, right?

earline james 7 years, 6 months ago

I'm hearing Phil Hartman (doing Charlton Heston) going "It's people! Soylent Green is People! You're eating People!"