Previous   Next

What is your favorite Chinese food?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 22, 2007

Browse the archives

“I like General Tso’s chicken. I guess I like it because it’s always the same in all the restaurants, so I always know what I’m getting.”

“I really like the combination fried rice because of the variety of all the ingredients they use.”

“Crab rangoon, because it’s somewhat sweet and it doesn’t have anything too crazy in it.”

“General’s chicken. I keep trying other things, but I always go back to it. It’s something about the sweet and spicy flavor.”

Comments

denak 7 years ago

Wow, Marion, what a totally ignorant post. It takes a really twisted mind to somehow bring in abortion when one is talking about Chinese food.

As for the Chinese culture being primitive, cruel and sub-human...hardly.

The Chinese have created some of the words greatest inventions. Anyone who cares to do a really basic search on google can find out all of the things the Chinese have contributed to our country and to the world.

However, since we are talking about food, or at least some of us were, I will leave you with one interesting fact that I found out when I did my own search.

Not only do we have the Chinese to thank for egg rolls and egg drop soup but the Chinese also created......

spaghetti

Always thought I had the Italians to thank for that but guess not....

Dena

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

Shame on the RED Chinese!

The Chinese culture is primitive, cruel and sub-human.

oh wait

in the usa we have killed over 40,000,000 babies in the womb since roe v wade

the usa and red china will make good partners

never mind

Thanks.

Marion.

gbulldog 7 years ago

I would like to have the jobs that China stole back?

Shame on Wal-Mart. They did not destroy Rubbermade. They tried. Because of Wal-Mart, Rubbermade was forced to close manufacturing plants and sell the manufacturing equipment to the highest bidder at auction. Guess who bought it and guess where it went. Frontline did an excellant story about this.

As a result, China now has a hugh surplus, and the USA has a deficit.

I like chineese food. And it is can be very healthy. But the way of cooking and what they had to cook evolved because of the lifestyle forced upon the common folk by the powerfull. Suggest you read books by Pearl Buck who grew up in China.

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

"Peaking"(sic) Taste?

Do NOT feed me straight lines on a forum on which I cannot respond appropriately!

Thanks.

Marion.

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

That game was definitely a bp raiser! Whew! Roooooock Chaaaaaaaaalk Jaaaaaaay Haaaaaaaaaawk KKKKKKKKK UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

sgt, Madison Square makes me think of little square chocolate covered Dolly Madison somethings. I agree...leave the nasty gardens out of it!

denak 7 years ago

I love Peaking Taste.

Favorite foods...pretty much everything. I love the Spicy Peppered Beef and their fried potatos.

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

Wait, MSG stands for Madison Square Gardens. Who's putting the Gardens in food? That's disgusting!

cool 7 years ago

MSG

monoculture (richard simmons) glutony

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

I do, however, find it humorous that you think 13 lost pounds in less than a month insignificant. Wah? Aren't you going to say that's too much, too fast? Toxins leeching rapidly from her body? Can't be good for her health!

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

Cool, It's clear to me that you have your sarcastometer turned off. Turn it on and re-read. :) Gotta get back to my KU game...need something to raise my bp.

Jace 7 years ago

Well, it's true that foods like Campbell's soup has MSG in it. Most corn chips do too (Dorito's and Chex Mix comes to mind.)

I just know that there are plenty of Chinese foods that have MSG in it/them too.

So I don't eat Chinese food that often.....

cool 7 years ago

Dear SUE,

your post really doesn't make any since go you need classes on diet at Lawrence Memorial. MSG is certainly not a good thing trust me.

98 over 58 is not really good blood pressure. too low. and your friend ? 13 lbs is insignificant.

JIN SHAN is i repeat loaded with MSG and sodium.

Posted by sunflower_sue (anonymous) on March 22, 2007 at 5:03 p.m. (Suggest removal) Cool, you say MSG like it's a bad thing. All this talk of MSG inspired me to have a late lunch at Jin Shan's. One thing I left off of my list that I love...pot stickers! Yum!

I have migraines, but never had one triggered by MSG. My blood pressure (as of Saturday) was 98 over 58. (I'm gonna eat up while I still can!) :D

I know someone that has borderline high bp. About a month ago, she went on a self-imposed "sushi diet." She eats California Rolls most days for lunch (minus the soy sauce). She has also cut soda from her diet. (She used to drink 1 a day.) Her bp has come down and she has lost 13 pounds. She eats her normal breakfast and supper.

Crossfire 7 years ago

East meets West, La Choy makes Chinese food, swing American.

Love them Raman Chicken Flsvor Noodles too.

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

"Lottery executives smelled a rat,"

Was that the special of the day?

Mike Blur 7 years ago

Remember that story about the fortune cookie with the lucky numbers, and 110 or so people played those numbers. Wouldn't you know, those numbers came up and all 110 hit the lottery on the same day! Lottery executives smelled a rat, but after investigation, could only chalk it up to the luck of the cookie!

Here's the story: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/11/AR2005051101772.html

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

Tom Shewmon 7 years ago

Remember Richard Pryor:

"YOU ORDER SH!T-YOU EAT SH!T !!!!

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

Jace - Sort of. It seems like our Chinese brothers are always taking the brunt of it though.

Marion Lynn 7 years ago

I once knew a sweet little cookie who had a huge fortune and huge.................................

never mind

Thanks.

Marion.

Azure_Attitude 7 years ago

This is no joke. I got this jewel of wisdom one time: Beware of cookies bearing fortunes.

Jace 7 years ago

Oh, sure, there are plenty of foods with MSG in them.

I don't think anybody's arguing that point.

Are they?

cool 7 years ago

favorite food ?

well i guess then MSG with cashew chicken

cool 7 years ago

right on orginal BOB !

Burger King is right in there with MSG and also Campbell's SOUPS with any meat all have MSG.

Tom Shewmon 7 years ago

My first girlfreind favorite was Kum Sum Yungi.

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

Write2Know wins by a long shot today. Quality.

And, you all are fooling yourselves if you think Chinese buffets have the exclusive rights to MSG. Cool kind of alluded to this... (other buffets).

cool 7 years ago

Dear Ragingbear, the local buffet style restaurant JIN SHAN at the Marketplace on K-10 owned by COMPTON of course is loaded loaded loaded with MSG !

Posted by Ragingbear (anonymous) on March 22, 2007 at 1:08 p.m. (Suggest removal) MSG is on it's way out when it comes to Chinese and other foods. However, there are still places that use it, at least in some of their dishes. The main reason it is becoming less and less popular is due to the issues around it. Many are allergic to it, others that suffer from migraines commonly find their migraines triggered from it. Some even end up in the hospital with it, thus producing potential lawsuits.

Your biggest risk of finding MSG in your food is at your Buffet style restaurants. However, I believe they are required to tell you if any of their foods contain MSG if asked. If you want to make sure that your told the truth, say "Is there any MSG in your food? Because if I eat MSG, it could put me in the hospital, and even kill me.". Gives them a bit of a thought if they think they are going to lie to you.

Soups are a popular source, as well as foods that may have been made elsewhere, and only cooked there. Spring and Egg Rolls are popular, crab rangoons and other items like that are your larger risk. Sometimes if you ask about the MSG, they may tell you that they are not sure about certain items, or that they just treat certain items. Some places even offer an MSG free version if requested. Never hurts to ask.

Don't be put off if you find yourself speaking with somebody that you believe only knows broken English. I have discovered that they understand far more than they can speak. If they can't, ask to speak with a manager or supervisor. There should be at least one person there that speaks your language well enough to be able to properly answer your question.

George likes his Kung Pao hot!

ohjayhawk 7 years ago

I actually got a smart alec cookie a couple months ago. It actually made me laugh out loud. My wife was wondering what was wrong with me. It read "The fortune you seek is in another cookie."

Posted by WereAllMonkeys (anonymous) on March 22, 2007 at 7:52 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I saw a fortune cookie recenly that said "That wasn't chicken"

angelkids 7 years ago

My favorite is Grilled Lemon Chicken from Peking Taste chinese buffet and Crab Rangoon from Jasmins in eudora

Write2Know 7 years ago

My favorites are #8 and #17.

Ragingbear 7 years ago

George likes his Kung Pao hot!

Staci Dark Simpson 7 years ago

I love Jade Mongolian BBQ. It is so cool to be able to pick the veggies you like and mix it with whatever meat and sauce you like! They also have a regular chinese buffet. Hot and Sour Soup rocks!

Jace 7 years ago

Oh!, and as for the question at hand (Sorry, Sarah's picture had me seriously distracted me there for.....a while!)

I try not to eat that much Chinese food......too much MSG! Headaches

Jace 7 years ago

Okay, nobody has mentioned this yet....so I guess I'll be the first one to do so........

Sarah, I know you're only a freshman.....but I'm assuming that means you're at least 18 years of age (and legal)............will you marry me?

LOL!

P.S. LJ World person, please don't ban me.....I'm just having some (clean) fun.

Delete this post if you so choose....but, c'mon!, please don't ban me! Okay? Thanks!

paladin 7 years ago

I only eat good American food, made for Americans, cooked by Americans; chitlins, hamhocks, maw, black-eyed peas, turnip greens, fried catfish, fried chicken, red beans and rice, boiled okra, smothered chicken, smothered pork chops, ribs, cornbread, peach cobbler, pecan pie, and such. I fullfill my Life with these foods. If that is not poriticrry collect, so solly.

bevy 7 years ago

I forgot - crab rangoons are a food group unto themselves. The hubby-to-be has to be reminded often that eating 6 of them at a sitting is unhealthy. But they are so GOOOOOD. Fried dough with cheese and fake seafood. Who could ask for more!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years ago

Bea, Does "Pick Up Stix" deliver?

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

bevy, that was a nice "mom" story. I, too, have fond memories of eating Chinese w/ mom. (Her fav is Cashew Chicken and she would rather have an egg roll than a rangoon. Loves her tea hot, and prefers the fried rice over the white.) :)

strawman 7 years ago

Wang chung and long duck dong.

strawman

bevy 7 years ago

Sadly, I too will be limiting my trips to the Chinese buffet after reading today's article on the health risks. I have high blood pressure so the sodium is not great for me. However, the sushi at Jin Shan is quite good - my kids love it! (fiance, the meat n taters guy, won't even try it)

I love Panda Garden, King Buffet and Royal Peking also.

Oh, and the answer to the question: Cashew Chicken or the sweet Walnut Shrimp from King Buffet.

I still remember the first time I had Chinese food. I was a senior in high school 1985 and my mom and I went to Wichita to shop. She saw a little place that was a converted hamburger drive in. You parked by the old speakers and there was a paper menu taped to the old sign. It indicated that you could wait for a server to come out, or you could come in. We went in, and I tasted my first Cashew chicken. Also my first Chinese hot tea. I couldn't drink it because it smelled like A&D ointment (diaper rash ointment). Still can't!

But I treasure the memory of that "exotic" lunch with mom, and have been a fan of Chinese food ever since.

blessed3x 7 years ago

Come on Paladin, you know that only liberals like Rosie O'Donnell can make fun of another's ethnicity and get away with it. Get with the program!

cool 7 years ago

actual favorites are oriental salads........with tofu

cool 7 years ago

in CHINA they may use Tibetans in the meal ?

cool 7 years ago

JIN SHAN is loaded to the gills with MSG ! that's why you feel so full !

Posted by sunflower_sue (anonymous) on March 22, 2007 at 10:56 a.m. (Suggest removal) Jin Shan's buffet out on 23rd street is very good! (They even have a shushi bar,and yes, I'm aware that that's not Chinese). I'll go dine with jayhawk1234 as I like the broccoli beef minus the beef. Bring on the fried green beans, too. General Tso's Chicken, one spring roll, one rangoon, and some dry fried pork will fill up my plate nicely. Gotta start with a couple of California rolls (American or Japanese?) and end with a coconut macaroon (country of origin?) Then I'm sick the rest of the day because I've eaten way too much! The kids like the authentic Chinese ice cream bar there.

alm77 7 years ago

Unfortunately, after I read this article:

I'll probably never eat Chinese food again... :( Or if I do, it will be the only meal I have that day!!!

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

Whoa. We went from a question about pet food to a question about Chinese food. I am concerned.

But I like sweet & sour chicken, even if the sweet & sour sauce is bright red like a radioactive substance from a 1980s B-movie.

Azure_Attitude 7 years ago

Cashew Chicken in Plum sauce from The Royal Peking (I think the best Chinese in town). I don't think any place else does the Plum Sauce with their Cashew Chicken. I like General Tso's Chicken also. I like most Chinese food, actually. If you are ever in Boston go to Chau Chow's (both are pronounced chow), especially for the Dim Sum buffet on Sundays. It rocks!

jonas 7 years ago

kj: all the chinese resteraunts in town are subpar. there are some better ones in kc.

schula 7 years ago

Egg drop soup from the Plum Tree

countrygirl 7 years ago

I have a friend who loves "rat on a stick". His thought is that if they can make rat taste that good, he'll eat it!

kj 7 years ago

What is everyones favorite chinese Restaurant in Lawrence?

Bone777 7 years ago

Shar-pei and noodles.

jonas 7 years ago

Bu zhidao, keshi wo chang chang xihuan chi yi pan mongol niu rou he yi wan suan la tang.

prospector 7 years ago

Szechuan Biscuits and Gravy

Bassetlover 7 years ago

Won't touch Chinese food. Too many unknown variables are in it!

couranna1 7 years ago

shrimp lo mein with crab rangoon simple but goooood

Pywacket 7 years ago

I'll take an order of the "anything too crazy" stuff rejected by Sarah, steeped in the MSG that's been withheld from cool's order, with a side of hot and sour soup and some szechuan chihuahua fingers over lo mein noodles.

countrygirl 7 years ago

I have to watch how much sodium I eat, so Chinese food is a once in a great while treat for me. I love hot and sour soup and anything (well almost) in hot garlic sauce.

cool 7 years ago

all of the local CHINESE restaurants are LOADED with MSG !

be smart and go elsewhere or demand to know which items do not have MSG and then order those items.

cool 7 years ago

i like to always demand no MSG !

that cuts your choices down to about three things usually Vietnamese noodles in broth.

KsGirl 7 years ago

Anything refered to as chinamen...I'll order chicken fried noodles or chicken lo mein(depending on the chinamen), and of course my favorite...Chicken St Paul with cheese with a side order of shrimp.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years ago

Wow cutny, hypersensitivity before 8 AM. You must lead an extremely fulfilling life.

Linda Endicott 7 years ago

Lo mein noodles. Love them.

jayhawk1234 7 years ago

i love the broccoli beef.........hold the broccoli

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

Hmmmmmmm....Can't say that I've tried everything yet, so, I dunno. I can say that I tend not to like Chinese desserts. A dessert must contain more than a dash of sugar!

cutny 7 years ago

Wow Paladin, racist remarks before 8 AM. You must lead an extremely fulfilling life.

GSWtotheheart 7 years ago

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

Mongolian Beef with Beef.

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

Atom Long enters the pantheon of coolest OTS names ever.

lmpaul 7 years ago

Their green beans. Also Mushroon Chicken, and the Pepper Beef, and the skewered chicken. At China Buffet in Leavenworth they have steamed mussels on the shell (evenings). Yum.

The_Original_Bob 7 years ago

Hot and Sour Soup.

Sweet and Sour

Lo Mein whatever.

Crab Rangoon.

If it doesn't have at least 1000 calories and 211% of my daily sodium intake, I don't touch it.

So now those who know much better than I are making a push at Chinese Food? Lovely.

paladin 7 years ago

John Spencer 7 years ago

I saw a fortune cookie recenly that said "That wasn't chicken"

paladin 7 years ago

Cow Dung. A big steaming plateful, plopped down before me. With duck sauce, of course.

trinity 7 years ago

cashew chicken. mmmmmmmmm.

tyger_lily 7 years ago

Beef and broccoli with steamed rice from Hy-vee. It is always fresh and the broccoli is still crisp in the center. Yummy