Previous   Next

How many times do you wash your hands in an average day?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 19, 2007

Browse the archives

“When you think about it, it’s quite a lot. Let’s say 10 to 12.”

“Three or four times a day. Basically, however many times I go to the bathroom or prepare food.”

“I’ll say five as a really rough estimate.”

“I’d say 10 to 15 just thinking of all the times I’m in the bathroom or working in the kitchen.”

Comments

EireishHawk 7 years, 9 months ago

So we're expected to wash our hands everyday? Whether they need it or not?

RonBurgandy 7 years, 9 months ago

Anywhere from 10-30 times depending on the day. Along with a some purell mixed in there.

tyger_lily 7 years, 9 months ago

I work in a school so at least 25-30, whenever I leave my office and have to touch a door handle. When I am not at work, I wash them whenever I come back from going anywhere and whenever I am going to touch food. Yup, I am a germ-a-phobic.

gccs14r 7 years, 9 months ago

Every time after blowing my nose or relieving myself, before handling food or dishes, and any other time they feel like they need it.

H_Lecter 7 years, 9 months ago

I wear latex gloves, so I don't get germs on them.

mick 7 years, 9 months ago

I added up all of the times I've washed my hands in my life and divided it by the number of days I've lived and came up with 4.38715269. Why do you ask?

Purell 7 years, 9 months ago

There is nothing more refreshing as a Purell colonic...for that fresh clean feeling

Tanetti 7 years, 9 months ago

With two kids in diapers, at least a zillion times a day, plus every time I handle raw eggs (every morning at breakfast, at least once) or raw meat. As a result, my hands are so dry that even in the summer I have to use Aquaphor (basically medicated Vaseline) to keep my hands from splitting open. My in-laws don't wash their hands after changing our kids' diapers. Ick!!! And there's no soap to be found anywhere near a sink in their house. So, so, so gross!

jonas 7 years, 9 months ago

Well. . . . . . . let's see, take a year, figure in my 13 washing times per year, so that's 365/13. . . . . or every 28 days so to speak. . . . so, what, 1/28 times a day? Sounds about right.

It's okay, though. I molt frequently.

jonas 7 years, 9 months ago

TV here in San Francisco is awesome! I can practice listening in all 4 languages that I know, on several different channels.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

Since I own the largest bottle of Purell ever made, it's safe to say: "More than most." Knock on wood...(then wash hands)...I've also not had so much as a cold this winter. :D

Ceallach 7 years, 9 months ago

It seems almost constant! We have two bottles of Purell in our reception area and single bottles in each office (and do a lot of cleaning with Clorox wipes).

If you think daycares spread a lot of germs, at least their parents keep them home if they are really, really sick. Most KU students have to drag their sick little butts to class and take care of administrative issues, no matter what. Unfortunately, a good number of faculty and staff are not very sympathetic and that puts a lot of pressure on students.

Topside 7 years, 9 months ago

Most of you are full of it. If that's the case than how come four out of five people I'm ever in a public restroom with don't wash their hands. I would guess a good (truthfull) avg is more like 2ish

Ceallach 7 years, 9 months ago

All y'all, please send out some good vibes for our ms_canada, she is having surgery this morning.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 9 months ago

Best wishes to Ms_C! I hope they wash their hands there too! Will she be back soon?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

Good wishes to you Ms_C. (seems as though they bumped your date up a couple of days???) Wishing LOTS of hand washing goes on in the prep room today!

RI (Mr. Monk), You? Obsessive?

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 9 months ago

At least 15-20. A lot more if I am doing major cooking and I wash my hands so much they want to crack and bleed if I don't moisurtize sufficiently. I should buy stock in Camille Beckman.

Stop projecting, Topside. Just because you're gross doesn't mean the rest of us are. If you are a man, that would explain why you would think only 2ish was right. Most women I see come out of a stall wash thier hands. Studies have shown men are worse about that than women, generally speaking. And they have to touch theirs, EEEEEEEWWW!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

I have no idea how many times I wash my hands in an average day. Or in a good day, or in a bad day. But I still have two hands, so I must be okay.

Suggested follow-up question: how many times do you press the E key on your keyboard in an average day?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

sgt, I'm prtty sur that my kyboard dosn't hav an ky.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 9 months ago

thr million thr hundrd thirty thr thousand thr hundrd thirty thr

gccs14r 7 years, 9 months ago

james bush 7 years, 9 months ago

Reminds me of the guy at the office who after using the urinal would wash and blow dry only THE one hand.

Gabe Hoffman 7 years, 9 months ago

"I read that among Americans, 40% of women and 60% of men don't wash their hands after using the restroom."

Fecal matter is among us.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 9 months ago

"Posted by 00jester (anonymous) on March 19, 2007 at 12:46 p.m. (Suggest removal Fecal matter is among us."

Especially on the LJW threads that get political.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 9 months ago

I read once that lots more women don't wash their hands if no one is in the bathroom at the time. Maybe men too.

Hey Py, does lanolin leave your hands feeling greasy?

Ceallach 7 years, 9 months ago

Goots, kind of creepy that they can determine the washing rate if no one else is in the restroom. First question is . . did they use hidden cameras? Second, was Homeland Security involved :) ?

Linda Aikins 7 years, 9 months ago

I bet Hannibal prefers the strawberry-flavored lanolin. I am going to try some - thanks Py!

Did you see that the CEO of Kansas University Hospital Irene Cumming just resigned?

Ceallach 7 years, 9 months ago

Well, seems I have to print a RETRACTION :-\

Ms_canada had pre-surgery tests today, her surgery is Thursday (that gives us a few extra days to encourage her, right? :) Sorry for the mistake, I have been fighting a migraine since last Friday and it seems to have jumbled my brain (like that is too hard to do!).

ms_canada 7 years, 9 months ago

I just want to thank those who sent good wishes my way for the surgery. I spent 4+ hours in a pre admission clinic this morning. Xrays, blood work, ECG and exam by internist who pronounced me fit as a fiddle and I am good to go for surgery on Thur. am. This is minor stuff and I am not worried. but thanks guys for kind thoughts. Hand washing, well being an old nurse I learned early that hand washing was essential to good health. I have not had a cold or the flu in the past 12 years now. And I attribute that to hand washing, especially upon returning home from being out and about in the dirty city. And a good healthy way of eating helps.