Previous   Next

What is your greatest academic accomplishment?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on March 18, 2007

Browse the archives

“Anytime I learn to do something new in math.”

“Getting my master’s in education and becoming a full-time teacher.”

“Probably getting one of my poems published in a book.”

“I’d say learning Arabic, Urdu, Hindi, Spanish, German and now Italian.”

Comments

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 9 months ago

Last term, I got a 3.91 GPA in my graduate program. That's slightly better than the 1.6 GPA I got in my second semester at KU in 1983, so I'm feeling a little more "accomplished" than I did in '83.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 9 months ago

My next academic goal is to get a story published in "Pathetic Geek Stories".

mick 7 years, 9 months ago

When I realized what a total pack of lies the whole higher education industry is.

jonas 7 years, 9 months ago

Maybe I'll invent the cure for Deja Vu!

Seriously, didn't we get this almost exact question not more than a few months ago? Give me more time to come up with an impressive academic accomplishment!

Besides, Shaju Ahmed has me effectively beaten. I wonder if he can actually speak all of those languages, or if he just knows how to ask for a beer and find out where the bathroom is.

Bone777 7 years, 9 months ago

Graduating in the top 90% of my high school class.

477 out of 502

ms_canada 7 years, 9 months ago

Greatest academic accomplishment???????? In formal setting I guess that would be my nursing certificate. But in less formal circumstances, I learned Spanish well enough to carry on a conversation, act as interpreter for social workers and doctors. But I would have to say that the accomplishment that has given me the most joy and satisfaction would be studying, learning and teaching Bible lessons. This is the love of my life. To me there is no more interesting book.

ms_canada 7 years, 9 months ago

Prospector - yo guy! I have something for you. I was listening to my CD of James Keelaghan, our wonderful Alberta balladeer the other day and thought of you, prospector. James has a song about goldmining and the chorus goes like this. Here's to the gold that never I've found, Farewell to the nuggets that somewhere abound. It's only in dreaming that I see them gleaming, Down in the dark, deep under ground. James K. has a beautiful voice and writes and performs wonderful ballads. Don't believe me alone, just ask our ceallach who got one of his CDs last Aug. at our Folk Music Festival. Right? ceal.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 9 months ago

Congratulations Oldenuf! that's great.

my greatest achievement in macadamia?

seriously, it would be reading. For reading has opened many doors to me, taught me many things, allowed me to interact with live and dead thinkers, and learn what I did not know. when I was in the 8th grade, I had a major life change and then as a result I could read much easier. Reading allowed me to gain a master's degree, and to do the research for it which I accidentally found posted on the internet of all surprises! it allows me to participate here on the 'net. Reading connects me with authors and I grow for the reading. Reading helped me to transcend an intense, nearly deadly, health condition of recent history.

so, for many reasons, reading is the answer.