Previous   Next

How do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 17, 2007

Browse the archives

“I go to the parade, drink green beer and get drunk.”

“I think St. Patrick’s Day is about good company and a great atmosphere. I’m not a big drinker, so I just like to watch the parade and have a good time.”

“I just stay home. Do I look Irish to you?”

“I hang out with friends and wear my green KU shirt.”

Comments

couranna1 7 years, 1 month ago

no you don't jason. so stay home

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 1 month ago

ms_canada.

Just my form of homage to King Billy.

ms_canada 7 years, 1 month ago

precious moments to treasure of your son, pywacket.

ms_canada 7 years, 1 month ago

R_I - orange is ok as long as you weren't planning on parading down the Falls Road in Belfast. I think that's the road where they parade.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 1 month ago

There is absolutely nothing wrong in wearing orange today!!!

Pywacket 7 years, 1 month ago

Good one, Ms C--you are in rare form today.

Self-indulgent cute kid story:

My sister brought my 6-yr-old a St Paddy's Day token last night. She made a game of having him guess what was in the box. After a few Q/As, he had established that it was alive, would grow, and that he must care for it. Finally she revealed the name of the item.

Undaunted by the fact that he did not recognize the word, he came running to beg his dad and me for a cage "for my room." (Sister followed him into the room laughing.)

"What do you need a cage for?" we asked, knowing Sis wasn't evil enough to have supplied him with a live critter.

Just about popping out of his skin, he leaned in for a dramatic stage whisper,"Aunt E. got me a SHAMROCK!!!"

Never did get out of him just what sort of animal he thought he was receiving, that would need a cage to live in. I'm afraid the poor shamrock will never live up to his initial expectations.

Pywacket 7 years, 1 month ago

Great response, Jason! Probably amusing to anyone who doesn't have his little dickie caught in his as-...whatever.

Maybe some Guinness... maybe some shandy. Boiled potatoes. Soda bread. Fond thoughts of my dear departed grandma who was equal parts English & Irish, kept a stout shillelagh by the door, and knew how to use it.

ms_canada 7 years, 1 month ago

Au sure and don't we need a bit of levity from the Emerald Isle today. A pub in Donegal had a standing offer of a bet to anyone who could squeeze one more drop from a lemon after the bartender had squeezed all the juice into a glass. The bet was for 1000 punts (pounds, that is) One day a scrawny, wee chap came in and in a tiny voice said, "I'd like to try the bet, sir". After much laughter, the barman grabbed a lemon and squeezed all out the juice. The wee man then wrapped his hand around it and squeezed out six more drops. The barman said, "tell me sir, are you a lumberjack or a weightlifter by chance?" The wee man replied, " Ach no, I'm here on holiday from Canada where sure and don't I work for the revenue"

cutny 7 years, 1 month ago

I've-got-my-head-where-my-bu...get over it.

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm surprised they didn't edit Jason's racist response. For the record, there are black people in Ireland. How would people react if the question was "How will you observe Martin Luther King Jr. Day?" and a white person responded with, "I'll just stay home. Do I look black to you?"

ms_canada 7 years, 1 month ago

Hey TOB - you don't really think it's a phoney holiday, do you? It's not even a holiday. But listen buddy, I think it's quite commendable that a people are proud of who they are and what they are and their traditions. I have always thought of the Irish as a jolly people who love life and each other and I can't think of anything nicer than just to celebrate that quality at least once a year. And what would be nicer than for the rest of us to celebrate that with them. Life is so crowded with gloom some times, that to have a day to rejoice makes up for it. IMHO. So a hearty Slainte Mhath to all from Belfast, Dublin, Killkenny or Ballymena. Have a grand day.

ms_canada 7 years, 1 month ago

You do not have to be Irish, just take a lesson from them. They do enjoy the company of each other and preferably in a pub with plenty of Ceol (music) Caint (good conversation) and Crak (good fellowship and fun). Or it could just be a Ceilih, a Kitchen Party with someone on the fiddle and another on the spoons. Lots of toe tapping melodies. Joyful comaraderie; that is the Irish way and worth imitating, don't you think???

ms_canada 7 years, 1 month ago

Definitely no green beer. The best way is with plenty of Ceol, Caint agus Crak and a big Slainte to my good buddy over a bottle of vino.

KsTwister 7 years, 1 month ago

Well, guess what. I don't have your translation but we are very very Irish. Belfast to be exact. I'm just glad to see people who enjoy it for one day even if they haven't a clue where County Down is.

Gareth 7 years, 1 month ago

I sit back and mock the midwesterners as they engage in "Acceptable Ethnic Stereotype Day."

Feis ort, tuilli ghòrach!

hawklet21 7 years, 1 month ago

Sunshine - Perhaps you could start setting an example by using "acceptable" and not "exceptable." Just a thought. I agree with Jason!!

mick 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm gonna get me a box of Ho-Hos and a twelve pack of Doctor and watch all the Bill O'Reilly shows I've taped over the years.

nut_case 7 years, 1 month ago

Awww, Jason, c'mon....EVERYBODY is Irish on St. Patric's day!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

Happy Birthday KsTwister!!!

I donned my green and took the kiddies to breakfast. Watched one of my kiddies march in the parade and begged candy off of my other kiddie and the neighbor's #2 devil spawn. Will go to eat the dredded corned beef and cabbage w/ the hubby's family tonight. groan Then I will pop gas-X and Tums for the rest of the night.

FlakeyT 7 years, 1 month ago

Sunshine,

No...you're thinking of Spring Break...oh, wait...

Drink up, kids!!!

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 1 month ago

Yet another phony holiday. I'll be home protecting my fortress from the evil leprachans.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 1 month ago

Duuno; I can never keep that whole "i and e" thing straight and with my dyslexia it looks OK either way!

;)

Thanks.

Marion.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 1 month ago

Marion, Just asking for clarification... Did you misspell fiends, or friends?

Marion Lynn 7 years, 1 month ago

I will be in Westport today meeting some old freinds and drinking copious quantities of Guinness.

sunhsine_noise:

You haven't read your Bible very well if you do not understand what connections there are between saints and drinking!

Thanks.

Marion.

Kat Christian 7 years, 1 month ago

It's just another day to promote "get drunk" day to teach college kids that this is exceptable behavior. What I don't understand is if there is a Saint involved how does drinking beer and Saints fit together? It's such a screwed-up holiday - I don't get it!!

sourpuss 7 years, 1 month ago

You don't look Irish, Jason, but you do look Jewish.

If you want to do something Irish, look up the Tara Brooch or the Book of Kells, and appreciate some incredibly beautiful Irish medieval art today, to get you in the mood.

Kathy Getto 7 years, 1 month ago

Lamb Stew and Soda Bread.

Erin Go Bragh!

prospector 7 years, 1 month ago

Jason, that's funny. Anne Marie, I hope you are a third year sophomore.

Amateur day that ranks with New Years Eve. All be careful out there.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

Well, this year I'm testing for my black belt, so I'm going to get my a@@ whipped, then go drink Irish car bombs and get drunk.

paladin 7 years, 1 month ago

Sure an I'm maintainin me sobriety. An a sayin a bit of a prayer for them that don't.

Crossfire 7 years, 1 month ago

...the same thing I do every year. I will get a heavy staff, start thumping the ground at the RR-tracks and drive the Baptists who stand on the corners and Yell about Hell from Mass Street. While doing this I will be humming the "Pinky and the Brain" theme song as this really confuses the "snakes".

KsTwister 7 years, 1 month ago

Spend the first half of the day finishing up my CPR recertification,and being "surprised" at my surprise birthday party with family in the afternoon.

goatdog 7 years, 1 month ago

Hey you stupid scumbag christian pigs! You're going to lose your war! Your filthy christian war! You're gonna lose your war! Your greedy scumbag christian war! Liars! Liars! Liars! Liars! Liars!

delegatezero 7 years, 1 month ago

I take advantage of the girls that go to the parade, drink green beer, and get drunk.