Previous   Next

How do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 17, 2007

Browse the archives

“I go to the parade, drink green beer and get drunk.”

“I think St. Patrick’s Day is about good company and a great atmosphere. I’m not a big drinker, so I just like to watch the parade and have a good time.”

“I just stay home. Do I look Irish to you?”

“I hang out with friends and wear my green KU shirt.”

Comments

KsTwister 7 years, 6 months ago

Spend the first half of the day finishing up my CPR recertification,and being "surprised" at my surprise birthday party with family in the afternoon.

Crossfire 7 years, 6 months ago

...the same thing I do every year. I will get a heavy staff, start thumping the ground at the RR-tracks and drive the Baptists who stand on the corners and Yell about Hell from Mass Street. While doing this I will be humming the "Pinky and the Brain" theme song as this really confuses the "snakes".

paladin 7 years, 6 months ago

Sure an I'm maintainin me sobriety. An a sayin a bit of a prayer for them that don't.

jonas 7 years, 6 months ago

Well, this year I'm testing for my black belt, so I'm going to get my a@@ whipped, then go drink Irish car bombs and get drunk.

Kathy Getto 7 years, 6 months ago

Lamb Stew and Soda Bread.

Erin Go Bragh!

sourpuss 7 years, 6 months ago

You don't look Irish, Jason, but you do look Jewish.

If you want to do something Irish, look up the Tara Brooch or the Book of Kells, and appreciate some incredibly beautiful Irish medieval art today, to get you in the mood.

Kat Christian 7 years, 6 months ago

It's just another day to promote "get drunk" day to teach college kids that this is exceptable behavior. What I don't understand is if there is a Saint involved how does drinking beer and Saints fit together? It's such a screwed-up holiday - I don't get it!!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 6 months ago

Happy Birthday KsTwister!!!

I donned my green and took the kiddies to breakfast. Watched one of my kiddies march in the parade and begged candy off of my other kiddie and the neighbor's #2 devil spawn. Will go to eat the dredded corned beef and cabbage w/ the hubby's family tonight. groan Then I will pop gas-X and Tums for the rest of the night.

nut_case 7 years, 6 months ago

Awww, Jason, c'mon....EVERYBODY is Irish on St. Patric's day!

mick 7 years, 6 months ago

I'm gonna get me a box of Ho-Hos and a twelve pack of Doctor and watch all the Bill O'Reilly shows I've taped over the years.

hawklet21 7 years, 6 months ago

Sunshine - Perhaps you could start setting an example by using "acceptable" and not "exceptable." Just a thought. I agree with Jason!!

Gareth Skarka 7 years, 6 months ago

I sit back and mock the midwesterners as they engage in "Acceptable Ethnic Stereotype Day."

Feis ort, tuilli ghòrach!

KsTwister 7 years, 6 months ago

Well, guess what. I don't have your translation but we are very very Irish. Belfast to be exact. I'm just glad to see people who enjoy it for one day even if they haven't a clue where County Down is.

ms_canada 7 years, 6 months ago

Definitely no green beer. The best way is with plenty of Ceol, Caint agus Crak and a big Slainte to my good buddy over a bottle of vino.

ms_canada 7 years, 6 months ago

You do not have to be Irish, just take a lesson from them. They do enjoy the company of each other and preferably in a pub with plenty of Ceol (music) Caint (good conversation) and Crak (good fellowship and fun). Or it could just be a Ceilih, a Kitchen Party with someone on the fiddle and another on the spoons. Lots of toe tapping melodies. Joyful comaraderie; that is the Irish way and worth imitating, don't you think???

ms_canada 7 years, 6 months ago

Hey TOB - you don't really think it's a phoney holiday, do you? It's not even a holiday. But listen buddy, I think it's quite commendable that a people are proud of who they are and what they are and their traditions. I have always thought of the Irish as a jolly people who love life and each other and I can't think of anything nicer than just to celebrate that quality at least once a year. And what would be nicer than for the rest of us to celebrate that with them. Life is so crowded with gloom some times, that to have a day to rejoice makes up for it. IMHO. So a hearty Slainte Mhath to all from Belfast, Dublin, Killkenny or Ballymena. Have a grand day.

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 7 years, 6 months ago

I'm surprised they didn't edit Jason's racist response. For the record, there are black people in Ireland. How would people react if the question was "How will you observe Martin Luther King Jr. Day?" and a white person responded with, "I'll just stay home. Do I look black to you?"

cutny 7 years, 6 months ago

I've-got-my-head-where-my-bu...get over it.

ms_canada 7 years, 6 months ago

Au sure and don't we need a bit of levity from the Emerald Isle today. A pub in Donegal had a standing offer of a bet to anyone who could squeeze one more drop from a lemon after the bartender had squeezed all the juice into a glass. The bet was for 1000 punts (pounds, that is) One day a scrawny, wee chap came in and in a tiny voice said, "I'd like to try the bet, sir". After much laughter, the barman grabbed a lemon and squeezed all out the juice. The wee man then wrapped his hand around it and squeezed out six more drops. The barman said, "tell me sir, are you a lumberjack or a weightlifter by chance?" The wee man replied, " Ach no, I'm here on holiday from Canada where sure and don't I work for the revenue"

ms_canada 7 years, 6 months ago

R_I - orange is ok as long as you weren't planning on parading down the Falls Road in Belfast. I think that's the road where they parade.

ms_canada 7 years, 6 months ago

precious moments to treasure of your son, pywacket.