Previous   Next

How far would you travel to attend a KU game?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 15, 2007

Browse the archives

“Pretty much anywhere in the Midwest from Chicago to Denver to Dallas or Houston, but probably not the East or West Coast.”

“Well, we’re going to Chicago this weekend. I’d go just about anywhere I can drive. I’m a big fan of road trips.”

“It depends on who’s driving, but I would travel pretty far if I had the time.”

“I live across the street from Allen Fieldhouse and I don’t even go.”

Comments

Linda Aikins 7 years, 9 months ago

I predict a loopy OTS day.

Good one, J-J-J-Jonas!

betsy 7 years, 9 months ago

I went to Vancouver, British Columbia for 2 exhibition games a couple years ago!

George_Braziller 7 years, 9 months ago

I wouldn't walk across the street to see them and I graduated from KU.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 9 months ago

Machu Picchu - if they served Klondike bars.

Th-Th-Th-Thursday Beautiful Thursday You're the only day of the week that I adore Except for FRIDAY WONDERFUL FRIDAY! I'll be waiting at the of-of-of-office door.

jonas 7 years, 9 months ago

Man, I can't even seem to get there living HERE. I'm just a bad fan, apparently.

Gootsie: What do you think?

"Tuesday, lovely Tuesday.

You're not frickin' Monday!"

trinity 7 years, 9 months ago

goo goo goo gootsie, ots poster- you are just a totally awesome gal! ;)

i'd go to the ends of my checking account, credit cards, pity of friends, etc to go to a KU basketball game! i'd even give up my Klondike bar!

wow i didn't think anybody called 'em davenports any more! cool!

samsnewplace 7 years, 9 months ago

Well now that all depends if you are a sports fan or not now doesn't it? I agree with Branden above, wouldn't go across the street to see them play...but i'm not into sports.

ruette 7 years, 9 months ago

I noticed that 'davenport,' too. I grew up calling them 'davenports,' but in old age have switched to 'sofa.' No idea why. Davenport potato? Sofa yam? Whatever. Went to Birmingham to see AZ get into FF in '97, and Atlanta to see Maryland make it to the championship. Don't think KU can afford to have me at another post-season game!

Crossfire 7 years, 9 months ago

I have a basketball goal I can set up in the driveway. If the KU guys will bring a net and a ball they can play at my house.

RonBurgandy 7 years, 9 months ago

If I could afford it, I would travel anywhere. The former part of that statement is key though....

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 9 months ago

Probably not far. If I could attend without Mr. Attitude maybe I would go. He thinks he jinxes his favored team by attending a game so he won't go. He's very superstitious. Well, I am too. That means I will have to be in the kitchen for every game since our wins have all occurred while I was on a major cooking spree.

ms_canada 7 years, 9 months ago

Thanks TOB and Kam fong. Hypothetical situation = next year when my grandson enters the U. of Calgary and plays on the varsity hockey team and that team is invited to play the KU team, (hypothetically) I would use my airmiles and fly down to Lawrence for the game. I really would and I would invite a few of you guys to attend with me. Hockey really is a great game.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 9 months ago

I'm with Ron. If the money was there, I wouldn't be here today!

TOB, they should call it the Original University of College Hockey, or OUCH.

beatrice 7 years, 9 months ago

Not too far just to see a game, but I'm sure I would enjoy one just about anywhere. Go Jayhawks!

Did anyone catch last night's double ot win for the Phoenix Suns over the Dallas Mavericks? That was some great basketball. Go Suns!

Great answer at the top of the morning, Gootsie!

Kuku_Kansas 7 years, 9 months ago

My friends and I are a proud group of KU alumni and we make an annual trip to follow KU anywhere we can all get together.

Portland Philadelphia Las Vegas Chicago Austin Boulder Lincoln Ames Columbia

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years, 9 months ago

Ms Canada, I agree that hockey is a great game. I've been playing for 20 years and currently play on an "old timers" league (30+) every weekend. It's a great workout!

Bone777 7 years, 9 months ago

KU Football - to the Missouri state border.

KU Basketball - anywhere.

bevy 7 years, 9 months ago

If I had a bit of dough To see the Jayhawks I would go North or south or east or west Because our Jayhawks are the best!

But since I'm broke as broke can be Can't go from sea to shining sea I'll spend my pence on salty snacks and watch our awesome team kick a**

GO BIG BLUE!!!

southerngirl 7 years, 9 months ago

I've never seen any KU sport played live, but have watched many on TV from the comforts of my divan. That is what my mother in law calls the davenport. Me, I just call it the couch. d

ms_canada 7 years, 9 months ago

Kam Fong - that's great. Glad to hear that there are enough of you to keep it going each weekend. Shows enjoyment and determination. Keep it up. I only get to watch my grandson play now on webcast. He plays for Brandon Wheat Kings. Brandon, Manitoba is a loooong way away from Edmonton. He is a pretty good player. Top goal scorer. Wheatkings are part of the Western Hockey League, sort of semi professional, 16 to 20 year olds. They get paid a wee bit. Just pocket money really and their host billet gets paid also. Rob has played with 4 teams, Portland, Ore., Seattle, Wash. and 2 Can. The lads get one year of tuition at the Uni. of their choice for every year of hockey played. Pretty good deal, I think. Rob is 20 so it's his last year.

Ceallach 7 years, 9 months ago

TOB: IIRC there is a big difference. The River Nerd community allows for free flowing exchange of ideas, whereas the C-Span Nerd community are pretty much locked into 1 or 2 channels of thought.

Ceallach 7 years, 9 months ago

How far would I go? Hmmm, since I went to Edmonton, Alberta for a folk music festival . . seems I will pretty much go as far as my money will take me at any given time . . therefore, I currently will be watching from my loveseat at home . . but I will be cheering just as loud as if I were among the chosen in Chicago :)

irnmadn88 7 years, 9 months ago

I will travel as far and wide as it takes to find the TV remote.

Then maybe just maybe, down to Mass St. if the ball bounces the right way.

Crossfire 7 years, 9 months ago

I don't think The Davenport Panters are playing KU this season, but they do have a hockey team

Linda Aikins 7 years, 9 months ago

Why do I take Big 12 teams past the first round????

Except for Kansas, that is.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

crossfire, did you mean panters or panthers? 'Cause Panters is really funny!

sourpuss 7 years, 9 months ago

Seeing as how I have never traveled to see a Jayhawks game, I guess the answer for me would be "no farther than Allen Fieldhouse."

In truth, this has more to do with ticket prices than the travel, perse.

beatrice 7 years, 9 months ago

Pretty funny story about former KU player in the news today --

Cavs' Pollard on camera says 'Hey kids, do drugs' Associated Press

Mar. 15, 2007 01:40 PM CLEVELAND - Cleveland Cavaliers center Scot Pollard looked into the camera during a recent game and said, "Hey kids, do drugs."

Pollard was sitting on the bench in street clothes when he made the remark during a 20-second timeout Sunday against Indiana. The Cavaliers didn't find it funny.

"We have spoken with Scot and certainly do not condone his actions," general manager Danny Ferry said in a statement Wednesday. "He regrets his mistake, using inappropriate humor, particularly when he has always been very involved in the community, projecting positive messages to our youth. We will handle the issue internally."

"It was a bad joke," Pollard said in Thursday editions of The Plain Dealer. "That's all it boils down to. There are a number of things people could say about it, but it just turned out it was a bad joke. Obviously, I don't believe that."

Pollard, who has played in only 17 games this season, was not available on Thursday. He would be at practice on Friday, the team said.

lizzabee 7 years, 9 months ago

I've traveled to Hawaii and Canada with the team, so I'd go pretty much anywhere to watch them play.