Previous   Next

Do you plan on filling out an NCAA Tournament bracket this year?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 12, 2007

Browse the archives

“We’ve been talking about it at work, but we haven’t arranged anything yet. Of course it’s going to be KU all the way.”

“I don’t think I know enough about the tournament to fill one out, but I’ll still be following the Jayhawks.”

“Yes. I’m doing one on Facebook just for fun. I usually go by who has the higher seed, but I also look at the other teams’ players and record to see if they could pull off the upset.”

“I usually get involved in at least one pool. I think I’m pretty good at picking teams. I won the main one that I do two years ago and four years ago.”

Comments

Azure_Attitude 7 years, 1 month ago

You can have your nerds and your dorks, but watch out for the geeks!!!! The valley geek, swamp geek, harbor geek - on the East Coast that would be hah-bah geek - and the elusive burrowing geek. They are not as well tempered and would eat the nerd and dork for lunch. Make a good mess of your plesurable outing as well should you run across one, or even worse, a mob of geeks!! Oh, the humanity!!!!

Brackets? We don't need no stinkin' brackets! Just cocktails, HD and the rowdy bunch to scream at the TV with and it's fun fun, fun. Ah, good times

Mike Blur 7 years, 1 month ago

Next year, and maybe in future years to come, there will be NCAA tourney games at that new Sprint Center in KCMO. That would be a blast!

I have actually seen NCAA tournament games at Allen Field House. In fact, I think yesterday was the 28th anniversary of Larry Bird and Indiana State playing at AFH!

I'm spending as much time as I can between now and then filling out brackets all over the net.

oldfashiongirl 7 years, 1 month ago

Hi ya'll,

I watched the KU and Texas game yesterday and was a nervous wreck till KU finally pulled up and made the win. I think that game could rival any final NCAA playoff game. Too back that State was not invited to the tourney.

On closer looking at the brackets, I see that Kansas will be playing either Fla A&M or Niagara. I also note my beloved Un of Ky will play Villanova also on Friday and if they both win, then they'll playoff against each other. I have no doubt about Kansas winning their first, but kinda iffy if UK can beat Villlanova. MAY THE BEST TEAM WIN!! Wish they could play in St. Louis, as we could all go to that one.

Ceallach 7 years, 1 month ago

Oh no!!! Has Mr R rekindled the age old fued between river nerd lovers and prairie squid lovers!!! Just when we thought all of that was behind us. This could get bad.

Ceallach 7 years, 1 month ago

Geez, he's only a kid . . give him a break. If I ever pick the winning teams I will tell anyone who will listen AND type it out for all y'all on the OTS . . and he did it twice. Good job, Jake!

bevy 7 years, 1 month ago

I think the river nerd is right up the food chain from the SNIPE.

torcia 7 years, 1 month ago

Thanks for you life story Jake

Flap Doodle 7 years, 1 month ago

The river nerd is a deadly enemy of the prairie squid.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 1 month ago

"RI, when eating a corndog, do you also eat the stick?"-sue

A. I do not eat corn dogs. B. If I did so choose to eat a corn dog; ---1.) I would not eat said stick. ---2.) I would sharpen said stick with my pocket knife. ---3.) I would use said sharpened stick to clean my teeth.

Gootsie 7 years, 1 month ago

Me too. I want an offsetting color for my pocket protector though.

Ceallach 7 years, 1 month ago

Thanks, acg. Add me to the t-shirt order, k?

acg 7 years, 1 month ago

I think it's in the same family as the dork fish ceall.

Ceallach 7 years, 1 month ago

Is a river nerd similar to a river gnome?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 1 month ago

jonas, I appreciate your insight. At first I thought it was a slight by Mr_Ramirez, now I see it as appreciation. Thanks.

acg 7 years, 1 month ago

Hehee, no matter how annoyed I am at the world I can always rely on you group of nutjobs to make me smile. I want a tshirt now that says "Save the River Nerd". :)

couranna1 7 years, 1 month ago

I will get to work on that immediately. Marion you're good @ self promotion help me out w/ this one

Pywacket 7 years, 1 month ago

Jonas: Thank you for the enlightening discourse on river nerds. As my family and friends would attest, I'm remarkably ignorant on a wide plethora of subjects. Courrana1: you should start a charitable fund for saving the river nerd. It might be very lucrati---I mean---fulfilling.

FBDT: Would that be a "river wank," or a "meadow wank"? I believe I've spotted the elusive meadow wank a few times on my ramblings. Sometimes you can creep up on them in early spring, while they're intent on filling out brackets and placing bets on the river nerd catfishball tournament.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

A river nerd must be closely related to the "dork fish" that Jeff Foxworthy speaks of...and that my youngest apes so well. RI, when eating a corndog, do you also eat the stick? (This will settle the debate.)

prospector 7 years, 1 month ago

No. I plan on filling the brackets in. Anyway, I thought it was done by a bunch of guys sitting around a motel in Indianapolis yesterday.

I will write Kansas it the middle and call it done. I don't care about the other 64 teams.

You can bet I will enjoy watching the tourney.

from_beautiful_downtown_topeka 7 years, 1 month ago

Well, R.I., Mister Ramirez could have called you a "wank".....but then again, it's only 11:30 am......there's still plenty of time left in the day!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 1 month ago

I think the pernicious Mr_Ramirez appears to be a tad grumpy this morning. DST must not agree with him.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

Some very few of you still have to realize that RI is mostly FOS. :) (In a good way.)

couranna1 7 years, 1 month ago

I think they are endangered SAVE THE RIVER NERD!!

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

A river nerd is like a river god, but for the smaller, brighter streams and tributaries that, though they support the big river, never get any respect because they lack the whitewaters, rapids, and overall flash of the riverjocks.

Can't believe you've never heard of a river nerd. . .

Pywacket 7 years, 1 month ago

What is a "river nerd," Mr. Ramirez? Do I get points for guessing? Maybe it's a beaver, since a beaver might be a hydraulic engineer. Is that it? Is it a beaver? Huh? Huh?

Or did you mean, "Cry me a river, nerd"?

Punctuation is your friennnnnnd.

As for The Question, I filled them out when I was a cube dweller and someone at the office was organizing it. I figured my chances were better than they'd be with lottery tickets--and the fun made it worth the $2 (or whatever it was).

Everybody enjoy waking up to semidarkness today?

Gootsie 7 years, 1 month ago

R_I, go ahead and do it. We'll have an intervention later. Sue can make snacks, and Bea will pole dance for you.

Mr_Ramirez 7 years, 1 month ago

R.I. - "Even if no money is involved, it is still gambling."

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Cry me a river nerd.

Bone777 7 years, 1 month ago

• Jake Butler, KU senior, Lawrence

"Not to toot my own horn, but toot, toot, TOOT, TOOT....."

Bone777 7 years, 1 month ago

I already did, and it is a winner!

BABBOY 7 years, 1 month ago

Irreverent:

You sound like a barrel of laughs and giggles. GO KU!!!

Gootsie 7 years, 1 month ago

Absolutely. I do two - one from the head; one from the heart. Surprisingly enough, the heart usually wins.

Ceallach 7 years, 1 month ago

Probably not. Last year I tried to keep up with enochville and the other big dogs and did not find it to be an enjoyable experience (in other words I messed it up :) btw, what happened to enochville!!

Is it true . . . KSU wasn't invited to the big dance? Bummer!

Sigmund 7 years, 1 month ago

It's not gambling if all the proceeds go to my favorite charity, me! Just be sure to report any winnings to the IRS, not! It's one of the few guilty pleasures that the government hasn't figured out how to tax, yet.

GO HAWKS!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 1 month ago

No. Even if no money is involved, it is still gambling.

Kuku_Kansas 7 years, 1 month ago

Absolutely!

And like Kelsey, just finished my picks on my Facebook bracket.