Previous   Next

What will you do with more daylight?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 11, 2007

Browse the archives

“Probably mess around in the garage and work on the car a little bit. It seems like I never have the energy when it’s already dark after work.”

“I will be outside a lot more. I’m not sure what I’ll be doing exactly. Probably just hanging out and enjoying the sunlight.”

“Take the dog for a walk. I’ll be all out of excuses.”

“I will be nice to see some sun when I get out of my evening classes. So I’ll try to get outdoors as much as possible.”

Comments

KsTwister 7 years, 1 month ago

Spend the day resetting all the clocks again after losing power in this area of town. Which is especially ironic after watching each other running into walls in the dark trying to get ready for work this morning - last week there would have been enough light to lesson some bruises. I hate DST.

purplesage 7 years, 1 month ago

I didn't realilze I had any more daylight. Seems as though it is just rearranged. Any household with children will rue DST - it is just plain hard to put kids to bed when it is still light at "9" o'clock.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 1 month ago

Ponder things...

Can you get a double breasted dust jacket?

Flap Doodle 7 years, 1 month ago

I could go see '300' again. Yes, it is more than an hour long, but time flies when you're having fun.

budwhysir 7 years, 1 month ago

HMMM lets see, one more hour to read these great posts on the internet?????

Another hour to complain

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tom Shewmon 7 years, 1 month ago

Watch more LOGO on TV.....love that channel.

KansasKel 7 years, 1 month ago

I am so happy it's finally going to stay light longer! I hate going to work in the dark and coming home in the dark. More light and warmer temps means I can take the kids outside to play more and longer, too!

psychofan 7 years, 1 month ago

Nick and Hugh will have more time to wear their killer shades.

Mike Blur 7 years, 1 month ago

Smitty, re-read the entire OTS again. No-one mentioned any "extra hour." It's simply more daylight in the evenings.

Those that gripe about DST would likewise be upset about daylight breaking at 4:30 am (earlier in the northern latitudes) and how that daylight is "wasted" when everyone is asleep!

Some people are never pleased.

budwhysir 7 years, 1 month ago

This is great, I will have one more hour of daylight to waste complaining about the time change.

All with me, say I

hitme 7 years, 1 month ago

the music is reversible...but, time is not. (ps you're screwing up your record)

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

Hahahahaha! My computer does not recognize DST. This could be fun. I don't think I'll bother changing it!

Kat Christian 7 years, 1 month ago

Hey, Pywacket hate to burst your bubble but at the National Gallary the rule is if the artist is still living the artwork doesn't get shown. The only artist who had his art shown in the Nat'l Gallary of Art, Wash DC was Salvador Dali and that was the Last Supper which is still hanging there however in an obscure place. The Curarator (sp? sorry) did not like Dali's work but loved The Last Supper painting. Just a little tidbit.

Yes daylight, more energy, yard work, walks. Nighttime sets my body into sleep mode. Anyone ever see Northern Exposure? The one about the guy who got addicted to the headlight band? He wore it to cure his depression because it was dusk/dark 6 months out of the year? Funny episode. Anyway being dark longer in our waking hours does cause more depression. So more light is a good thing. Enjoy it everyone and stop whining about the change you know in a week you're going to love it anyway.

Pywacket 7 years, 1 month ago

(10:36 AM)

Now, this is weird. My computer (as I've already reported) DOES understand DST. But my posts are appearing an hour out of order--have to blame the LJW! My previous post should've followed Marion's (and the first sentence makes no sense unless you first read Marion's comment).

Oh, well. Since this forum occasionally jumbles the order of the posts anyway, I think the time change is just a coincidence.

Fatty_McButterpants 7 years, 1 month ago

Daylight savings time is an antiquated throwback that should be left in the past. It was devised by Ben Franklin to save candlewax. Last I checked, people do not use candles for lighting anymore. This ridiculous ritual of setting our clocks forward and back needs to go.

ms_canada 7 years, 1 month ago

Ask this question of the people living in Nunavut or Yukon. You will get a big laugh. It won't make a hill of beans difference to them and it does not make much difference here in Northern Alberta either except I am extra tired this am. drat, may fall asleep in church. We should all be like our province of Saskatchewan. They have opted out and do not change their time. So, for the summer months at least their clocks tell the same time as Alberta. Here is another little tidbit of info for all you Yanks who did not know. Our island of Newfoundland is 1/2 hour ahead of the east coast. Is that not confusing.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 1 month ago

Nice to feed the dogs in daylight rather than tripping about in the dark!

Thanks.

Marion.

Agnostick 7 years, 1 month ago

Take longer afternoon naps...

Pywacket 7 years, 1 month ago

I always thought after dark was the best time for tripping. ;-)

Naturally, I'm going to use the extra light to paint the great American masterpiece. After that is safely ensconced at the National Gallery, I'll get to work on the great American novel. Once that is printed and everyone is breathlessly turning pages, I'll start in on solving world hunger. There's no end to what you can do with a little self-delusion and some readjusted illumination.

Incidentally (shades of Millennium Panic), "they" have been jabbering all week about how our computers might be confused about the DST change being moved up. Oh, no! They might present the wrong time for several weeks! Well, this morning my computer clock is the only one in the house that is correct. Good job, Sony. Now I have to go around changing all the clocks on those sorry-*$$ appliances that aren't smart enough to change themselves.

happydays 7 years, 1 month ago

You two want some cheese with that wine? YES, you do gain a USEFUL hour of sunlight. I say keep DST and leave it that way all year.

Katie_Horner 7 years, 1 month ago

Watch for killer storms, play twister, and scare everyone

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

Now it doesn't again. Where will this post end up? Bets anybody? 9:08? 10:08?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

Dang! Now it does. What the hey?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

1. have more "neighborhood" get-togethers
  2. enjoy driving home in the light
  3. do more yard work
  4. exercize more
  5. enjoy life just a bit more

Steve Jacob 7 years, 1 month ago

What do more people do with extra daylight? DRIVE MORE! So coal use drops alittle, gas use goes up alittle. Considering gas has went up 30 cents in the last 2-3 weeks, not a good thing.

number3of5 7 years, 1 month ago

I hate daylight savings time. My body is just getting used to it being daylight when I arise for the morning, and then it is dark again. It sure throws my internal clock off. My dog is even confused with the difference. If it affects animals in this way, you know it is not good for humans either. Let's throw daylight savings time in the trash and let everyone's life return to normal, not just us humans, but our animals also.

smitty 7 years, 1 month ago

Fools!!! There is no extra hour. Can we start a petiton to fire whoever thought this up?

goatdog 7 years, 1 month ago

Hey stupid christian pigs! You're going to lose your war! Your greedy christian war! You're gonna lose your war! Your filthy christian war!