Previous   Next

Should you need a permit to cut down a tree in your yard?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 9, 2007

Browse the archives

“I would say no. In my opinion, the tree becomes your personal property once you purchase the real estate. It should be yours to do what you want with it, as long as it doesn’t interfere with you neighbors’ property.”

“I guess it depends on if it borders your neighbor’s property and on the size of the tree. If it’s very large, you should probably have to get a permit.”

“It should be like digging in your yard. You should have to call to make sure that you’re not endangering yourself, someone else or someone else’s property.”

“No. I think once you buy your house, you should be able to do what you want with your yard. You should call the city to make sure it’s safe … but you shouldn’t need a permit.”

Comments

Flap Doodle 7 years, 7 months ago

If you are wearing nothing but a pair of gloves and a necktie, yes.

Crossfire 7 years, 7 months ago

Only if it will fall on your neighbors property or into the street. If you fall in the woods, do the trees laugh?

trinity 7 years, 7 months ago

yeah sure uh-huh right. now, when are we gonna get up in arms&demand a permit for people to raise kids??

a permit to cut a tree down...i swear, the idiocy is rampant.

geekin_topekan 7 years, 7 months ago

A permit to wash your car too? Id do that in a tie and gloves.

jonas 7 years, 7 months ago

Hmmmmm. . . . does it matter if it's a Kite-Eating Tree?

Linda Aikins 7 years, 7 months ago

Absolutely!! But only if it is a Klondike tree.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 7 months ago

Congratulations Jonas!!! We're very proud of you. If you partner up with inmate selling cigarettes and posters of Bea, I'm guessing you would have your $6000 in a matter of weeks.

RonBurgandy 7 years, 7 months ago

I would say no, unless it is a large enough tree that special precaution would have to be taken to prevent it from damaging other property.

trinity 7 years, 7 months ago

oh dear i forgot...

gccs14r 7 years, 7 months ago

"Ownership" of property is a misnomer, since we don't live forever. The well-being of future generations should be considered when land-use decisions are made, including the disposition of mature trees.

jonas 7 years, 7 months ago

Anyone know a good place downtown to watch the game? I'm stuck on campus or nearabouts for the day. Besides, it won't be fun to watch all by myself at home without my wife yelling all the time.

Gootsie, et all: Thanks for the cheers, and I'll start my Bea-picture business plan shortly. Gotta contact distributors. . .

Bone777 7 years, 7 months ago

I think a guy should be able to do whatever he wants to do with his wood

on the privacy of his own property.

beatrice 7 years, 7 months ago

Bea in a tree holding a cat with a hat.

No to a permit for cutting down a tree. They should never be cut down. It would be like getting a permit to kill a neighbor. Why would anyone ever want to kill an innocent tree? Barbarians, I tell you. And in case you didn't know, the only true part of this is the first sentence of the paragraph.

budwhysir 7 years, 7 months ago

If only they required a permit to PLANT a tree, we would not be having this debate.

mick 7 years, 7 months ago

Remember this Arjuna: "For every tree there is a squirrel; for every squirrel there is a turtle; for every turtle there is a buzzard; for every buzzard there is a worm. This is how our ecosystem works."

ohjayhawk 7 years, 7 months ago

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok...

Flap Doodle 7 years, 7 months ago

"Posted by trinity (anonymous) on March 9, 2007 at 7:37 a.m. (Suggest removal) ...hey snap-can i come watch ya cut down a tree sporting nothin' but gloves&a tie?? ;)"

The video will be on my pay-per-view site later today.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 7 months ago

. . . I sleep all night and work all day.

I dress all up in women's clothes, and pull up tight my pantyhose.

Oh, how I love Monty Python.

Permit? No.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

I love trees, but hell no.

How about we require a permit to hang laundry on an outdoor clothesline? I don't wanna see my neighbor's skivvies blowing in the breeze!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

Marion, Roundup is absorbed through leaves so I don't know what you'll accomplish w/ your method of tree disposal, but you wont kill a tree that way.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

OK, Marion, since you seem to have Monsanto in your pocket, please educate me on exactly how Roundup works. I guess I'm fool enough to believe that Roundup is absorbed through the leaves inhibiting the EPSP synthase enzyme, thus killing the plant. But, please, do tell.

mick 7 years, 7 months ago

KU vs OU on K-Snot right now.

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

No, of course not!

GO SASHA, GO SASHA, GO SASHA

deec 7 years, 7 months ago

Don't a lot of Homeowners' Associations dictate things like no clotheslines, types of foliage you can plant, the color your house is painted, etc?

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

Yes, deec, they do. However, buyers know going in that they are required to abide by association restrictions. I personally wouldn't buy in those areas, but apparently a lot of people don't mind having overseers.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 7 months ago

Forget tree cutting -- homeowners associations should be banned. Neighborhoods don't need to be perfectly uniform.

My opinion may be partly due to my having lived in the country all my life. You know, where you can leave your garage door open and plant any variety of flowers and plants and paint your house whatever color you like without being shot down by people who can't handle something out of the ordinary.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 7 months ago

TOB, is No Pants Friday part of your neighborhood association's rules?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

sgt, actually, I live in the country and we have a giant square house down the road that is painted black, well actually it is a very dark shade of green, but I'm considering pelting the monolith with a paintgun or at the very least putting some paint swatches in the mailbox with a few "suggested colors" circled. Or maybe I'll just shoot out their security light. I would only do it for the common good. :)

bevy 7 years, 7 months ago

Preach on, Brother Wolverine! We have too much dang government interference in our lives as it is.

As for the tree question - I think we should preserve them if possible. Though it is interesting that the developers around here seem to start every project by bulldozing every tree in sight.

The only time I think a permit should be needed is if the tree is big enough to cause havoc by knocking down power lines, crushing cars, etc. Because let's face it - people don't even have enough coordination to parallel park should NOT be using a chainsaw to cut down something taller than their house.

On Wednesdays I go shopping, and have buttered scones for tea.

But today it's Friday Friday FRIDAY!

Yee Haw.

Ceallach 7 years, 7 months ago

This topic has morphed from tree hugging to neighbor's house slugging . . .

sue, you should organize an OTS board-wide paint ball game with the monolith as our ultimate target :) Let me know the day, I'll be there, bring an extra pair of jeans in case snappy_pop shows up in his all together.

All y'all be good and have a great weekend.

To quote the Trin: friday friday friDAY! friday friday friDAY! friday friday FRIDDDDDDDDAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! ROCK CHALK, GOOOOOOOOOO KU!!! :)

sunflower_sue 7 years, 7 months ago

Py, I just sent you that forever long cake recipe. Let me know when you'll be making it and I'll be right over.

Ceal, fill your gun up with whatever color you think goes with black. We may just have the world's largest "Jackson Pollock" when we are done! It may just make his house worth millions!

budwhysir 7 years, 7 months ago

Could we please get a permit for having home based university football games in another state???????

sgtwolverine 7 years, 7 months ago

Sue, I like the paintball idea quite a lot. Take pictures.

Uh, wait. That's how teenagers get caught doing dumb things. Never mind. Don't record your activities. (The fact that you announced them on the internet? No, that's not relevant.)

Richard Heckler 7 years, 7 months ago

BTW whatever happened to outdoor clotheslines?