Previous   Next

Should you need a permit to cut down a tree in your yard?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 9, 2007

Browse the archives

“I would say no. In my opinion, the tree becomes your personal property once you purchase the real estate. It should be yours to do what you want with it, as long as it doesn’t interfere with you neighbors’ property.”

“I guess it depends on if it borders your neighbor’s property and on the size of the tree. If it’s very large, you should probably have to get a permit.”

“It should be like digging in your yard. You should have to call to make sure that you’re not endangering yourself, someone else or someone else’s property.”

“No. I think once you buy your house, you should be able to do what you want with your yard. You should call the city to make sure it’s safe … but you shouldn’t need a permit.”

Comments

Richard Heckler 7 years, 1 month ago

BTW whatever happened to outdoor clotheslines?

sgtwolverine 7 years, 1 month ago

Sue, I like the paintball idea quite a lot. Take pictures.

Uh, wait. That's how teenagers get caught doing dumb things. Never mind. Don't record your activities. (The fact that you announced them on the internet? No, that's not relevant.)

budwhysir 7 years, 1 month ago

Could we please get a permit for having home based university football games in another state???????

hawkperchedatriverfront 7 years, 1 month ago

Where does Mr. Morantz work? If in Lawrence, how about an earnings tax for him? Just curious?

the city cannot even take care of the trees they have now let alone worry about a permit. They should be glad that the private owners are removing some.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

Py, I just sent you that forever long cake recipe. Let me know when you'll be making it and I'll be right over.

Ceal, fill your gun up with whatever color you think goes with black. We may just have the world's largest "Jackson Pollock" when we are done! It may just make his house worth millions!

Ceallach 7 years, 1 month ago

This topic has morphed from tree hugging to neighbor's house slugging . . .

sue, you should organize an OTS board-wide paint ball game with the monolith as our ultimate target :) Let me know the day, I'll be there, bring an extra pair of jeans in case snappy_pop shows up in his all together.

All y'all be good and have a great weekend.

To quote the Trin: friday friday friDAY! friday friday friDAY! friday friday FRIDDDDDDDDAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! ROCK CHALK, GOOOOOOOOOO KU!!! :)

bevy 7 years, 1 month ago

Preach on, Brother Wolverine! We have too much dang government interference in our lives as it is.

As for the tree question - I think we should preserve them if possible. Though it is interesting that the developers around here seem to start every project by bulldozing every tree in sight.

The only time I think a permit should be needed is if the tree is big enough to cause havoc by knocking down power lines, crushing cars, etc. Because let's face it - people don't even have enough coordination to parallel park should NOT be using a chainsaw to cut down something taller than their house.

On Wednesdays I go shopping, and have buttered scones for tea.

But today it's Friday Friday FRIDAY!

Yee Haw.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 1 month ago

"Dun dun DUNNNN!!"

It's Captain Chaos and his trusty sidekick Slaughter_Sue!!!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

sgt, actually, I live in the country and we have a giant square house down the road that is painted black, well actually it is a very dark shade of green, but I'm considering pelting the monolith with a paintgun or at the very least putting some paint swatches in the mailbox with a few "suggested colors" circled. Or maybe I'll just shoot out their security light. I would only do it for the common good. :)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 1 month ago

"Forget tree cutting -- homeowners associations should be banned. Neighborhoods don't need to be perfectly uniform." -sgt

"Dun dun DUNNNN!!"

It's Captain Chaos!!!!

Flap Doodle 7 years, 1 month ago

TOB, is No Pants Friday part of your neighborhood association's rules?

sgtwolverine 7 years, 1 month ago

My opinion may be partly due to my having lived in the country all my life. You know, where you can leave your garage door open and plant any variety of flowers and plants and paint your house whatever color you like without being shot down by people who can't handle something out of the ordinary.

Ceallach 7 years, 1 month ago

Yes, deec, they do. However, buyers know going in that they are required to abide by association restrictions. I personally wouldn't buy in those areas, but apparently a lot of people don't mind having overseers.

deec 7 years, 1 month ago

Don't a lot of Homeowners' Associations dictate things like no clotheslines, types of foliage you can plant, the color your house is painted, etc?

Ceallach 7 years, 1 month ago

No, of course not!

GO SASHA, GO SASHA, GO SASHA

mick 7 years, 1 month ago

KU vs OU on K-Snot right now.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

OK, Marion, since you seem to have Monsanto in your pocket, please educate me on exactly how Roundup works. I guess I'm fool enough to believe that Roundup is absorbed through the leaves inhibiting the EPSP synthase enzyme, thus killing the plant. But, please, do tell.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 1 month ago

An ounce or two of copper sulfate in a similar hole will also work wonders without the herbicide.

Thanks.

Marion.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

Marion, Roundup is absorbed through leaves so I don't know what you'll accomplish w/ your method of tree disposal, but you wont kill a tree that way.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

I love trees, but hell no.

How about we require a permit to hang laundry on an outdoor clothesline? I don't wanna see my neighbor's skivvies blowing in the breeze!

Marion Lynn 7 years, 1 month ago

If they enact such an ordinance and you want to get rid of the tree, just punch a hole in the ground about two feet deep near the root system and pour in some Roundup.

Thanks.

Marion.

Azure_Attitude 7 years, 1 month ago

. . . I sleep all night and work all day.

I dress all up in women's clothes, and pull up tight my pantyhose.

Oh, how I love Monty Python.

Permit? No.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 1 month ago

"Posted by trinity (anonymous) on March 9, 2007 at 7:37 a.m. (Suggest removal) ...hey snap-can i come watch ya cut down a tree sporting nothin' but gloves&a tie?? ;)"

The video will be on my pay-per-view site later today.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok...

prospector 7 years, 1 month ago

Trees are the real danger to the environment and there should be a bounty on them.

Permit? (grab crotch) Permit this!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 1 month ago

bea,

Do they even have trees in New Arimexizona?

mick 7 years, 1 month ago

Remember this Arjuna: "For every tree there is a squirrel; for every squirrel there is a turtle; for every turtle there is a buzzard; for every buzzard there is a worm. This is how our ecosystem works."

budwhysir 7 years, 1 month ago

If only they required a permit to PLANT a tree, we would not be having this debate.

Pink_Sock 7 years, 1 month ago

20 acres of land, an old church, give me a chainsaw and a machete and I will make clear land. Bonfires!!!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 1 month ago

snap, This saved stump titled ""Monument to the Elm" was a fixture in my hometown when I was a wee laddie. http://www.library.uni.edu/speccoll/images/arttree3.jpg

Unfortunately, what started out as remnants from the ravages of Dutch Elm disease, succumbed to fungus and decay, and it was replaced by a steel sculpture... :(

beatrice 7 years, 1 month ago

Bea in a tree holding a cat with a hat.

No to a permit for cutting down a tree. They should never be cut down. It would be like getting a permit to kill a neighbor. Why would anyone ever want to kill an innocent tree? Barbarians, I tell you. And in case you didn't know, the only true part of this is the first sentence of the paragraph.

Mr_Ramirez 7 years, 1 month ago

Cutting one down today in honor of this ridiculous proposal.....

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 1 month ago

I tired of having to get permits....

Permit to drive. Permit to dive. Permit to fly. Permit to burn. Permit to concealed carry. Permit to possess and transport explosives. Permit to use a horse-drawn vehicle. Permit to sell ice cream. Permit to be a transient merchant. Permit to sell lemonade by the curb. Permit to go out of business. Permit to have an alarm system Permit to sell Girl Scout cook.ies.

Bone777 7 years, 1 month ago

I think a guy should be able to do whatever he wants to do with his wood

on the privacy of his own property.

Pywacket 7 years, 1 month ago

Do you have any pictures of Bea in a tree?

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

Anyone know a good place downtown to watch the game? I'm stuck on campus or nearabouts for the day. Besides, it won't be fun to watch all by myself at home without my wife yelling all the time.

Gootsie, et all: Thanks for the cheers, and I'll start my Bea-picture business plan shortly. Gotta contact distributors. . .

gccs14r 7 years, 1 month ago

"Ownership" of property is a misnomer, since we don't live forever. The well-being of future generations should be considered when land-use decisions are made, including the disposition of mature trees.

trinity 7 years, 1 month ago

oh dear i forgot...

consumer1 7 years, 1 month ago

This spring when all those little maple trees pop up in our lawns we should bombard the city with request to come out an survey the trees to make sure the can be cut down with the lawn mower. We don't want to break any laws....

RonBurgandy 7 years, 1 month ago

I would say no, unless it is a large enough tree that special precaution would have to be taken to prevent it from damaging other property.

Gootsie 7 years, 1 month ago

Congratulations Jonas!!! We're very proud of you. If you partner up with inmate selling cigarettes and posters of Bea, I'm guessing you would have your $6000 in a matter of weeks.

Gootsie 7 years, 1 month ago

Absolutely!! But only if it is a Klondike tree.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

Hmmmmm. . . . does it matter if it's a Kite-Eating Tree?

geekin_topekan 7 years, 1 month ago

A permit to wash your car too? Id do that in a tie and gloves.

trinity 7 years, 1 month ago

yeah sure uh-huh right. now, when are we gonna get up in arms&demand a permit for people to raise kids??

a permit to cut a tree down...i swear, the idiocy is rampant.

75x55 7 years, 1 month ago

Oops - don't forget to get that environmental impact statement and hire at least two different environmental consultants for a good range of opinions on options to remove the tree.

I'm sure the folks down at city hall can recommend some of their favorites...

Das_Ubermime 7 years, 1 month ago

"It sounds as if Mr. Morantz has a wee bit too much time on his hands."

Yeah, but doesn't that describe the City Commission too?

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 1 month ago

If a tree falls on private property and no government offical sees it, was it ever there?

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 1 month ago

I actually read the article. How about this?

"Morantz - who is a rural Baldwin resident but serves as an organizer for a citizens group called the Tree Conservancy of Lawrence - said the ordinance might not include private property."

I like trees. Hell, who doesn't? Well, except those blasted gumball trees. It sounds as if Mr. Morantz has a wee bit too much time on his hands.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 1 month ago

If you are wearing nothing but a pair of gloves and a necktie, yes.

blue73harley 7 years, 1 month ago

Yes, I think you should have to get permits from the city, county, state, as well as the federal government along with the permission of the Sierra Club. You should also call PETA and have one of their representatives come and check your tree to make sure that it does not contain any animals. I'm torn as to whether the United Nations should be consulted.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 1 month ago

Mrs Crabtree...... May I go to the restroom?

Crossfire 7 years, 1 month ago

Only if it will fall on your neighbors property or into the street. If you fall in the woods, do the trees laugh?

inmate 7 years, 1 month ago

No! Finally a question that I have a vested interest in.