Previous   Next

Do you like it more when you gain or lose an hour for daylight-saving time?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 8, 2007

Browse the archives

“I don’t know. I think I like to gain an hour. Of course it’s an illusion, but it feels like you have more time to do everything.”

“Gain, absolutely. I can always use more beauty sleep.”

“I like the sun, so I enjoy losing an hour. There’s more time to do stuff outside when I get off of work.”

“I like to sleep in - in the morning, but I like the extra hour of sunlight more. So I like to lose the hour.”

Comments

jonas 7 years, 6 months ago

I (would) like it if we just scrapped this whole silly thing altogether, and had simple, normal time. Don't see why that would be so complicated.

jonas 7 years, 6 months ago

O-Bob: You should come up with OTS T-Shirt Slogans.

Damn Bea!

I'm sort of with Jonas

Klondike Bar

You'd make. . . at least 20 bucks!

jonas 7 years, 6 months ago

friDAY!!

You're all a bunch of left wing idiots I love you guys

there's gotta be lots of these

Crossfire 7 years, 6 months ago

___0___ ...an extra hour of sunlight... ...global warming... ...hum...

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 6 months ago

I am with jonas dst just messes everything up. Errie had the right idea to bad they gave into all the pressure.

southerngirl 7 years, 6 months ago

Don't forget to add pleather and round a bout town to your t-shirt collection.

I dont like daylight savings time-it's just annoying.

d

beatrice 7 years, 6 months ago

Daylight savings? We don't need no stinking daylight savings!

Or at least not here in Arizona. No d.s. here.

TOB, can I have a couple of them shirts ... for a Klondike bar?

trinity 7 years, 6 months ago

fruitcake! fruitcake! fruitcake! :) that's what i want on my t shirt. that&balloons.

i like dst, i like the sun, i like feeling all warm&glowey because as they say-the sun'll come out, tomorrow! :)

i'm feelin' ya too jonas, yes this is quite the colorful bunch of posters eh? kinda like a flower garden with all kinds of sizes, colors, variations, etc...

Flap Doodle 7 years, 6 months ago

This is so we can tend our Liberty Gardens & help defeat the Kaiser.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 6 months ago

I think we came up with Klondike bar because of something with the Canadian mounties? Maybe not.

I wish they would leave the clocks alone. The mess with the computers was enough. Now, aren't we out of sync (like Lance Bass's new book says) with the rest of the world? How will we know when our computer's customer support help lines will be open?

TOB - give me two reasons why you think she's got enough sleep. (good one, by the way)

jonas 7 years, 6 months ago

Gootsie: I do believe the original phrase was "It's not what would Jesus do, it's what would Jesus do for a Klondike Bar?"

Courtesy of Ubermime, though I have reason to believe he pilfered it off the intarweb, that dirty sneak. . .

mick 7 years, 6 months ago

I just feel sorry for the poor little squirrels and turtles and buzzards that have to get up early.

matahari 7 years, 6 months ago

It shoudl be called "daylight shopping time' for that is surely what it was/is designed for....

sunflower_sue 7 years, 6 months ago

My favorite is when you can be outside at 9 pm and it's still light out. I want that year round! If I can only find a way to mess with the whole tilting and rotation thing, I'll be set.

trinity 7 years, 6 months ago

lol, ss! that was priceless!

"If I can only find a way to mess with the whole tilting and rotation thing, I'll be set."

amen! :)

mick 7 years, 6 months ago

Maybe we could just have 12 hours of daylight and 12 of dark year round.

Linda Aikins 7 years, 6 months ago

Jonas, you are correct! It then became the official bribe of the OTS poster children.

You'd think just the opposite of more sleep = more cleavage. I think the deal is, you'd have to sleep on your back.

Obviously I don't know...

ms_canada 7 years, 6 months ago

Susie sue - I can sit on my front porch at 11pm and read the newspaper. Does that stink or what? And then the sun starts appearing again about 1:30am. I totally hate that drat DST. And mom's with wee ones to put to bed at a reasonable hour, they tear their hair. And do you know, statistics show that there are more accidents on city streets on the monday following the change? It always throws me off somehow but I don't understand that, it is only one hour, why does it make me so tired??????????? The whole thing makes no sense.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 6 months ago

With DST I get another hour on the lake in the boat in the bloody, hot as hell around here Summer after work so I am all for DST. I do enjoy the extra sun in general though.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 6 months ago

Sunlight at 11:00? Dang!! How's the boating where you're at Ms_C?

Ceallach 7 years, 6 months ago

I like my hours just the way they are and I totally miss the one they take until I get it back! I've been told it is all in my head but I'm not buying that.

On a more important note :) does anyone know if there is streaming coverage available for the tournament today? If so, where? Inquiring minds want to know . . .

beatrice 7 years, 6 months ago

"Just paint your windows black so the evil sunlight wont burn your pasty white skin while you 'post' away....," posted the sallow skinned Mr. Ramirez as he glanced at the closed and heavily curtained windows of his bedroom. The lack of fresh air in the dark room left the place smelling vaguely like a bag of four day old burritos from Taco Bell. "Today might be the day I venture outside," he thought, knowing deep down that he was not being truthful with himself. The attempt to make himself feel better by trying to belittle those posting on the community website didn't help lift his spirits. "Maybe today I'll shower," he said aloud, aware and unfazed that the words sounded more like a question than a statement.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 6 months ago

topeka, just for you...MAYO!

Ms_C, I am so jealous! I'd love it to be sunnier, longer. But you are right about the "little kid to bed" thing. Always hated trying to get mine to bed at 8 when it was still sunny and 98* outside, then I'd finally just give up and have to do a "bedtime bootcamp" a week before school started in the fall.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 6 months ago

bea, more! we want more! The story can't be over at that. What about that misterious knock on the door?

beatrice 7 years, 6 months ago

Sue, a mysterious knock on the door would require someone taking an interest in Mr. Ramirez. I think it is more of an Eleanor Rigby kind of tale.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 6 months ago

bea, pizza delivery guy at the wrong house?

R_I, I'd like to make a charitible contribution to the "R_I Save The Daylight Fund". Can you make change for a dollar?

kansaskate 7 years, 6 months ago

It can be hard to get kids to bed! One little guy I babysit won't go to bed "till the sky is all dark blue. Dark dark." and that's not til 9:30! I'm ready to be done with the kid! It is totally worth it to get off work at 8 or 9 and not be afraid to walk to my car, though. I love daylight!!

Linda Aikins 7 years, 6 months ago

TOB, he's out to get me. I mentioned that we would be off schedule with the rest of the world, so if we needed customer support or something, we may not call when they are open.

closes black window

But the crawly Mr. R may not realize that messing with DST this year will confuse all the computers.

Next line of story----

He feels around in the dark and dreary room, and lets out a heart-breaking wail, for he discovers he is out of chocolate covered cherries.

RonBurgandy 7 years, 6 months ago

I've been trying to remember when the klondike bar extravaganza began, and the earliest I could find was here...

Could be earlier though...

Linda Aikins 7 years, 6 months ago

Wow - we've not had a life for almost a YEAR now???

Cool!

jonas 7 years, 6 months ago

HOOOOOAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!

I just got accepted into an intensive language course for the summer in Beijing for 2nd year Chinese!!

. . . now I just need 6000 dollars. . . .

sgtwolverine 7 years, 6 months ago

I don't much care which way the time goes right now. I'm unemployed, and I just got a MacBook. Time could start running backwards at half speed and I'd probably be sitting here saying oooh, pretty computer. Also, I'd be trying to remember when to use the command key when I'm used to using ctrl or alt.

Anyway, really, the time change isn't a big deal to me one way or another. I do like the spring change because it means I'll get to photograph outdoor sports, and dealing with natural light is so much easier than dealing with typical high school gym lighting (or typical local ice arena lighting).

I say we just move time back twice a year. It might screw up the day/night thing for a while, but think of all the extra sleep we could get! Or say we could get, as we stay up later because of that extra hour.

mick 7 years, 6 months ago

This was done for our benefit by our wise Senators. It will save literally dozens of barrels of oil annually and practically eliminate our dependence on foreign energy.

beatrice 7 years, 6 months ago

jonas -- congrats! For the funds, I think RI should be more than willing to advance you the money with the understanding that it will be returned through future earnings from his "R_I Save The Daylight Fund"©. I'll bet he could even deduct it as a charitable corporate donation.

acg 7 years, 6 months ago

Wait, wait, wait. I'm coming in late on this conversation. Am I to understand that extra sleep grows 'em? So by that logic, if I were to stay up for a few weeks they might shrink? I could go for some serious shrinkage (not the Costanza kind). :)

trinity 7 years, 6 months ago

that's pretty darn cool jonas, congrats&have a wonderful time!

pelliott 7 years, 6 months ago

Why not just change all of time itself, Lets set our clocks up and hour, leave it that way. Use to be for farmers, now it is suppose to be that people are more likely to shop if they have a little more sunshine after work. Why jump back.

Ceallach 7 years, 6 months ago

MacBook . . . I am sooooo jealous!!!

Ceallach 7 years, 6 months ago

RI, have you ever tried a Mac? Once you go Mac, you never go back. Finances may force me to settle for a PC but my heart belongs to Mac :P

snowWI 7 years, 6 months ago

I wish we could be on CST the entire year EVERY year. I read an article the other day saying that the eastern half of Maine wants to join Atlantic Time because they are on the extreme edge of the eastern time zone. In the winter the sun sets at 3:45 in the afternoon. This has to be a darker area than the Pacific northwest in the winter!!!

Ceallach 7 years, 6 months ago

RI, My first computer was in 86, PC with DOS. After battling DOS for 2 years I changed jobs and was introduced to Macintosh. It was love at first byte :) I used Macs in my home office until December. I no longer have the business and 9.2 is the best my iMac can do, soooooooo, after shopping around I bought myself a Dell XPS for Christmas (I had been such a good girl!). The price difference was more than I could justify for my usage (hadn't been that good : ) It is fine for me now, but when working with graphics and web design I still prefer a Mac.

oldfashiongirl 7 years, 6 months ago

Cellach,

By streaming coverage, do you mean continuous coverage? According to my little hick town paper your Big 12 tourney began at 11:30AM on WDKA-Iowa State vs. Oklahoma; then at 2:00PM Texas Tech vs. Colorado WDKA; at 8:00PM Missouri vs. Baylor on ESPN2. Friday at 11:30AM Kansas vs winner of Iowa State/Oklahoma WDKA; 2:00PM Kansas State vs winner of Texas Tech/Colorado WDKA; 6:00PM Texas A & M vs Oklahoma State/Nebraska WDKA; 8:00 PM Texas vs Missouri/Baylor WDKA.

My great Univ of Ky beat our long time rival Alabama. Louisville just put them in OT with West Va. Great game!.

Ceallach 7 years, 6 months ago

Thanks, oldfashiongirl. I'm not familiar with WDKA but I will check out ESPN2 for streaming (that way I will have both the game and CSI :)

sunflower_sue 7 years, 6 months ago

I have to agree w/ Ceal. From an artist's standpoint, Macs rock! They could do anything any idiot wanted them to do. (Extremely user-friendly and so capable.) I miss Mac!

Ceallach 7 years, 6 months ago

Hmmm, sue, I think I resemble that remark!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 6 months ago

That artist's standpoint thing would be a big reason I bought the MacBook. I mean, not that I'm actually an artist or anything, but this sure makes it easier to pretend!

Also, the remote is pretty cool.

Ceallach 7 years, 6 months ago

all y'all have a good night

manana

sgtwolverine 7 years, 6 months ago

Ceal, at this point I'm putting my energy into getting the photo business organized. Well, that and photographing the high school basketball playoff games, since that's my business and all.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 6 months ago

Oh, please...

You're not "gaining" an hour of time, or an hour of daylight...the cycle of the sun rising and setting will continue, with the same amount of hours between the two, regardless of what "time" your clock says it is.

The only difference between CDT and CST is what the government chooses to call any particular hour.

As for saving energy...what a crock. You may think you're adding an hour of daylight at the end of the day, but you are also adding an hour of darkness at the beginning of the day...according to the clock, that is.

Let's see...in the summer, when heat is a big issue and people use their AC, does it cost more energy-wise to have that hour of daylight in the morning, when it's naturally cooler, or in the evening, when it's much hotter?

Hmmm...

Just let the time stay the way it is, sheesh. When I was a kid they didn't have daylight savings on a regular basis, and we did just fine. The world didn't come to an end.