Previous   Next

What is your favorite type of mustard?

Asked at Checkers, 2300 La. on March 7, 2007

Browse the archives

“Grey Poupon Dijon. It has a better taste. Yellow mustard is OK sometimes, but I particularly like Dijon. It’s better for poultry and marinades.”

“I think it’s either Dijon or spicy brown mustard.”

“I like the flavor of honey Dijon mustard.”

“I actually don’t eat mustard at all. I just never have liked the taste of it. I don’t eat it on anything.”

Related story

Comments

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

The invisible, tasteless type.

I have heard, though, that mustard has quite a kick in its gaseous form.

Kuku_Kansas 8 years, 1 month ago

A good Chicago-style hot dog should have Plochman's ugly yellow mustard.

It goes great with the Chicago-style bright, neon green relish too!

trinity 8 years, 1 month ago

this is the ots question today, eh? wowzer.

i like spicey mustard. ok, who wants to argue?? ;)

ohjayhawk 8 years, 1 month ago

"The Authentic Stadium Mustard", hands down. It is the mustard that has been sold in Cleveland stadiums for many, many years.

brookcreeker 8 years, 1 month ago

This might have been interesting if the question had been asked at Free State Brewery, where it's Mustard March. Go get yourself some good mustard.

Since it was asked at Checkers, I would imagine the LJW is running out of things to ask.

number3of5 8 years, 1 month ago

Homemade mustard made from stale beer and dry mustard is my all time favorite.

conservativepunker 8 years, 1 month ago

Kraft Yellow Mustard. Hard to find in grocery stores around here.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 8 years, 1 month ago

Stadium Mustard from Cleveland is the greatest mustard on the face of the earth. I wish I could buy it locally. Thank goodness for the internet.

Crossfire 8 years, 1 month ago

...Magic Yellow Mustard...best on a Toga.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 1 month ago

"Chipolte Horseradish."

Forgive me for being so anal, but that ain't mustard.

There's an Italian deli in Riverside, MO that is run by these OLD women. The SLOWEST service ANYWHERE, and they get your order wrong about half the time... but they make their own mustard. Pretty good.

acg 8 years, 1 month ago

Basic French's yellow mustard. Mmm, that makes me want a brat really bad, even though it's only 8:30 in the morning. I like a little dijon on certain things and in a potato salad recipe I have. This is a weird ?, btw. Mustard, really?

tim_hardaway 8 years, 1 month ago

i love mustard on my steaks just makes them go down real well....yummmy!!!!

Sigmund 8 years, 1 month ago

I like the free-range, fair-trade mustard that are hormone and antibiotic free. If you have ever tasted it you can immediately tell the difference! Mustard is not meant to be raised on big corporate farms before they are slaughtered exploited by low paid corporate slaves. Nope. In fact I ate nothing but all organic, non-genetically modified mustard for thirty days and lost 35 pounds!

True story.

sourpuss 8 years, 1 month ago

I guess I've never thought about it. I don't think I'll start now.

Ceallach 8 years, 1 month ago

Honey or honey dijon mustard, helps keep me so darned sweet!

trinity 8 years, 1 month ago

what exactly is the dijon thing, anyway??? i've always been curious. really!

ms_canada 8 years, 1 month ago

Don't really eat much mustard but when I have ham I like the dijon kind, Grey Poupon or I also like the German grainy kind of mustard. Where the hang did this question come from? Oh and there is a horseradish kind of mustard, to be sure.

H_Lecter 8 years, 1 month ago

Coleman's English Mustard by itself on french bread

mick 8 years, 1 month ago

I make my own "secret sauce." Want the recipe?

acg 8 years, 1 month ago

HL, is that made from real Englishmen?

ms_canada 8 years, 1 month ago

TOB - thanks - now I am really going to make the effort to eat more mustard this month. And I will try some new varieties also. And you know, I really will be doing the farmers in Alberta a huge favour as huge fields of mustard are readily seen on the drive south through central Alberta. They are a very pretty sight. A cash crop in my province.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 1 month ago

I hear that Obama and Clinton are holding a rally to honor the sacrifices that were made in the struggle for mustard rights...

Emily Hadley 8 years, 1 month ago

This question becomes much more complicated during Free State Brewery's March mustard madness!!

oldgoof 8 years, 1 month ago

Just normal yellow table Mustard I buy in France is so much stronger than US. It is fantastic. Makes me wonder how our US palates ever became satisfied with bland "French's." . Trinity: Lots of mustard grown around Dijon area of France. In US we use "Dijon" as an adjective for spicy mustard styles. Not sure it has the same connotation in France.

Linda Aikins 8 years, 1 month ago

DAM RUST MAD RUTS MAD RUST MUSTARD TADS RUM AM TURDS MA TURDS RAM STUD RAM DUST ARM STUD ARM DUST ARTS MUD TARS MUD RATS MUD

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

Oh, and let me be the first to say. . .

Oh my god, they killed Captain America!!! You Ba@#$#ds!

lubyloo 8 years, 1 month ago

French's yellow or Grey Poupon, depending on my mood.

Proposed new topic: Catsup or ketchup?

beatrice 8 years, 1 month ago

RI, first off -- the question on the day after the Vice President's right-hand man is convicted is about condiments. What can I say if my answer tended more toward the blood red type, whatever its base ingredient.

As far as musical junkies, Bird died in 1955 and Joplin in 1970, not '72. There have been a string of strung-out musicians and bands since, but few top those early examples for a great waste of talent. And that Cowboy Junkies stuff you posted sounded like something you would hear as the backdrop to an episode of the Gilmore Girls. Yawn city. Try a little Social Distortion to wake yourself up.

Flap Doodle 8 years, 1 month ago

jonas, Cap has been dead before, IIRC. It's only a temporary setback.

Bone777 8 years, 1 month ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad -

"Chipolte horseradish"

"Forgive me for being so anal, but that ain't mustard."

If I eat it with ketchup and relish, it's mustard!!!

Mustard is in the eye of the beholder...

beatrice 8 years, 1 month ago

Mustard in the eye of the beholder burns like hell.

Jaminrawk 8 years, 1 month ago

Yellow all the way, preferrably on a hotdog at a baseball game.

RonBurgandy 8 years, 1 month ago

The honey mustard that molly mcgee's has, wherever it comes from.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

Bea, that made me snort (not mustard)!

Hot dog...any yellow mustard will do Egg roll...hot Chinese-type mustard Deli sandwich...any type of dijon/horseradish/spicy mustard wraps...honey mustard

I'm not brand loyal when it comes to mustard, and I never met a mustard I didn't like.

Bone777 8 years, 1 month ago

Bea - that was funny. I didn't snort, but I did chortle.

Flap Doodle 8 years, 1 month ago

bea gets today's golden fruitcake, with appropriate condiments, of course.

acg 8 years, 1 month ago

Isn't that the Golden Girls?

Bea, you crack me up!

samsnewplace 8 years, 1 month ago

Just goes to show you that a stupid question gets stupid answers, duh!~

acg 8 years, 1 month ago

Isn't wasabi a type of mustard? That dude on Jackass 1 snorted that stuff. I think it hurt him, at least that was the impression I got from the extreme vomiting that took place after he did it.

staff04 8 years, 1 month ago

Oakville Grocery's Apricot Ginger Mustard on no-salt mini pretzels.

8 years, 1 month ago

Gulden's Spicy Brown Mustard - I use to work in product development for the company that makes it. Nothing like it right off the line, mustard looses its kick over time. Putting it in the fridge helps but then you get that separation thing going on. (syneresis)

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

wasabi is made from a root (like horseradish) mustard...seeds

That will be all for today's culinary arts 101 class. Tomorrow we will be discussing the difference between capons and capers. Your essays on "Why bother boiling beer brats in beer" is due on Friday.

Harry_Manback 8 years, 1 month ago

I like spicy the best on sandwiches, regular on hamburgers and honey mustard on chicken fingers! Yum!