Previous   Next

Do you think studying music has a positive effect on other academic subjects?

Browse the archives

“Yes, because it stimulates different parts of your brain. Even listening to music can help you do better on tests.”

“Yes. I’ve heard that studying music helps you think more clearly.”

“Yes, I think so. You have more concentration and focus on what you’re doing.”

“Yes. You use a lot of math when you’re studying music.”

“Yes. People who study music are usually more involved in school and put in more time there.”

“I don’t know about studying music, but I’ve heard that listening to it helps.”

“Yes. It has to. Reading, playing or listening to it should all help.”

“Yes. It seems like they always tend to be the smart ones now that I think about it.”

Comments

b3 6 years, 10 months ago

Actually I enjoy classical music a great deal, however, with the condition of todays schools money shouldn't be spent on programs that are secondary, this includes sports, which I also enjoy.

roger_o_thornhill 6 years, 10 months ago

Yes. No. Maybe. I don't know. I don't care. Leave me alone. b3 sounds like some of the people I had to deal with when I used to work retail and would play classical music in the store. They would get so very angry. I don't get it.

b3 6 years, 10 months ago

No, it is a waste of time and money, and it needs to be removed from the schools.

mom_of_three 6 years, 10 months ago

My daughter would love to take an art class or any elective in junior high. But she isn't able to, because of all her classes. But some of the requirements, such as keyboarding, don't seem as important as others.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 10 months ago

I think some sort of art is good, yes. Many benefit from music; others might benefit from some other creative pursuit.

packrat 6 years, 10 months ago

Music helps.

Conservatives aren't the ones trying to erode our individual rights. The liberals are constantly meddling with personal freedom.

Don't confuse the religious right and neoCons of President Bush with Conservatives. They are not. Conservatives believe in less government interference in personal life and a sharp defining line between the state and federal government.

mom_of_three 6 years, 10 months ago

My daughter has a learning disability, but started to play the trumpet in fifth grade. The music class really helped her. But when she got to junior high, we had to fight the administration to keep her band class because of all the classes they wanted to put her in for her LD.
I am still fighting to keep her band class. She doesn't take any other electives because her day is filled with requirements and classes which help her keep up. But she enjoys band immensely, and it helps her confidence.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 10 months ago

It does, as well as many other elective subjects, but these subjects are being pushed out, because No Chlid Left Behind demands that all students, learning disabled or not, score 80% on an assessment. So even science and social studies are being shortchanged. Of course, it's important to conservatives that people don't learn history and government. People won't get mad about losing rights that they didn't know they had.

Kat Christian 6 years, 10 months ago

Absolutely!! Even today I use the rhythm of music to remember things. I especially use it when I have to do repetitive tasks to make it seem like it isn't such a chore. Music is the angel of souls and feeds so much positive stimulation into you.