Previous   Next

Do you place more importance on the opinions of veterans when it comes to the war in Iraq?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 26, 2007

Browse the archives

“I think that the opinions of those who have personal experience are important. But the issue of war is an issue of public policy, and I think everyone’s opinion on it is equally valuable.”

“I wouldn’t differentiate between the opinions of veterans or nonveterans unless they’ve served in this war, been there recently or were actively involved.”

“I think I would place more importance on the opinions of someone who has had that experience over someone who hasn’t. The more recent the experience, the more importance I would place on them.”

“I would expect their voice to carry more weight than those who haven’t experienced it.”

Comments

Flap Doodle 7 years, 6 months ago

I'm kinda surprised that a Godwin flag hasn't been necessary yet. & that the chickenhawk arguement hasn't been invoked. Ex pede Herculem.

jonas 7 years, 6 months ago

1st opinion, and I agree completely. My commendation, Carol Eades Deneivo, community volunteer, Lawrence.

Oracle_of_Rhode 7 years, 6 months ago

Due to their combat experience, many veterans are realists who correctly see that we're involved in a unwinnable quagmire that has been directed with incompetence and arrogance from the start by BushCo.

Other veterans seem to be violent nationalists bent on wrapping themselves in the flag to compensate for personal insecurities.

Indeed, many thousands who are currently serving are underachievers and criminals. If you don't like that fact, don't read this... http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/14/us/14military.html?ex=1329195600&en=c8daf02623d6a853&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

Do I hold their opinions higher than, say, a professor or a human rights expert or an Iraqi citizen?

Nope.

mick 7 years, 6 months ago

I feel like I'm back in Junior High School when I read here with all of the inside jokes and unwritten rules about what's "cool" or not. Were you all a bunch of schoolyard bullies when you were young?

sgtwolverine 7 years, 6 months ago

I definitely was not a schoolyard bully. I think my friends would get a laugh out of that idea.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 6 months ago

Sometimes. Their experiences is relevent, but they can be just as biased as anyone else. I would give credence to someone who has been on the ground over there.

pelliott 7 years, 6 months ago

I think that everyones voice should count. As for respect, i respect people, how they act, what they do . I don't put respect of the uniform over respect of the real person, that would be disrespecting those that serve honorably. Respecting the office, the uniform, the cloth, over the real acts of the person lead you to death camps.

Ceallach 7 years, 6 months ago

Yes, I do. The average American sees this war through the lens of whichever news agency they watch. Our troops' vision is only distorted by the dust or debris flying through the air. They are individual human beings, therefore, they may have differing views of any given war topic. We owe them enough respect to at least listen and consider their opinions before forming ours.

Off topic, I want to go on record declaring that I do not now, nor have I ever, bullied a schoolyard -- and I might just kick the stuffing out of anyone who says that I do/did.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 6 months ago

I would like to interrupt this topic with an important piece of news: I might -- I have not yet confirmed this -- be making a trip to Wichita next weekend. That would mean that on the way back (probably Sunday), I would be open to making a stop in Lawrence. Would anyone be available to put some faces to user names next weekend?

preebo 7 years, 6 months ago

Apparently, President Bush doesn't however.

Bone777 7 years, 6 months ago

I wouldn't listen to veterans opinion about the war any more than I would listen to a doctor giving my an opinion about health. Jeeez

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 6 months ago

Just to clarify, are you talking the 1st or the 8th, Sarge?

I would say the 8th since the 1st is this weekend and not next, but it doesn't hurt to clarify.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 6 months ago

How about a lying President,Vice President and Rummy?

How many are veterans?

Gareth Skarka 7 years, 6 months ago

The right wing places supreme importance on the value of veteran's opinions.....unless the veterans are critical of the war. Stray from the Holy Writ of the NeoCon Orthodoxy, and your exalted status as a "true American hero" is revoked faster than Paris Hilton's early release.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 6 months ago

Oops. Yeah, that would be the 8th, Azure. Sorry about that. I'm surprised I worded it that way; I usually try to avoid the this/next thing because it always confuses me. Sometimes I even inadvertantly say things like "this next weekend," and I've seen calendars explode in response to phrases like that.

Kontum1972 7 years, 6 months ago

PRES BUSH IS TO BUSY MAKING OUT WITH CONDO RICE BOWL...HIS G/F..any u seen those kissing pics of gw and cr...mmmmm...looks like way too much enjoyment there...obtw..where was laura?

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 6 months ago

Fab! I'll be in town then. Say where/when, Sarge.

yourworstnightmare 7 years, 6 months ago

No. I don't trust anyone who has any actual experience or expertise in any subject. I rely solely on faith, dogma, and ideology to make decisions.

Veterans, evolutionary biologists, climate scientists can all take their "experience" and expertise" and stick it.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 6 months ago

Ann Coulter? gak I love it when the far right trots her out as their "babe" and then says that the liberals don't have any hot women. Catherine Crier makes Ann Coulter look like a methed out fluffer!!!

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 6 months ago

Not that you're far right, spagehog, I mean the people that seriously call Skelator in drag a "hottie."

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 6 months ago

Oh, but wait, there's more. She was on GMA this week and said that if she says anything more about John Edwards it will be that she'll "wish that he was hit by a terrorist attack." This from the mainsteam far-right. First she accused the 9/11 widows of enjoying their husband's deaths, then call Edwards a "faggot," and now this. So much for civilized discourse, but I guess you can't expect much in the way of civilized discourse from the FAUX friends. This shemale, and calling her a shemale is in insult to actual shemales and I apologize in advance to them, is completely psycho.

Not that I would be accused of civilized discourse on this forum, but I have to stay true to my moniker.

pelliott 7 years, 6 months ago

I wish the congress and senate would restore some of the veteran and family benifits the veterans have lost in the last three years. It is criminal that we ask them to serve then stiff them when they are maimed. or killed. I respect what they have gone through and what they have given. They have lost health, family and educational benifits. I think it is criminal to say support the troops and leave them begging charities for wheel chairs.