Previous   Next

How much do you usually spend on fireworks?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 25, 2007

Browse the archives

“Somewhere around $100. I get lots of mortars, M-80s, bottle rockets and snakes.”

“Probably $50 at the most. We’re not a big fireworks family. I like mostly sparklers and fountains.”

“Probably about $275 throughout the year. I try to cap myself before I hit $300. You can go to Missouri and get them cheap in the winter. I love blowing stuff up. It’s the best way to celebrate your independence.”

“Around $30. I usually just get the small stuff.”

Comments

4th_grade_education 6 years, 9 months ago

idarastar: let's just not have any fun, ever.

Crossfire 6 years, 9 months ago

I think I'll max-out the Visa, take out a second on the house and skip July's child support payment. Gonna light the sky on fire.

idarastar 6 years, 9 months ago

I hate July 5th and there are exploded paper trash on every street. Living in an apartment complex is horrible! Too terrified to park at home in fears of your car being destroyed by people who have nothing better to do but pollute the earth with unneccesary fireworks. Don't get me wrong, fireworks are nice to see but why spend all that money when we have the wonderful display on the river?

trinity 6 years, 9 months ago

^ ^ ears perking...water balloon launcher?? where would one go to find such an intriguing gadget?? :)

ram67rod 6 years, 9 months ago

I usually waste about 75 dollars on a roll of 16,000 black cats. Then set them all off at once. Boy are those 3 minutes fun!!

dfluke 6 years, 9 months ago

This year it was $500.00 - wholesale :) Hauled home a mini van full of goods. Of course, it helps to live in Topeka sometimes (though I'd rarely say that in many cases)

sunflower_sue 6 years, 9 months ago

PrincessBanana, your dad is from the "lighting a $20" generation (sounds just like my mom). To them I would say: "But $20s don't "emit showers of sparks" and go BANG! Say it with me... "Oooooohhhhhhhh...Aaaahhhhhhhhhh! Prrrreeeeetieeee!"

Staci Dark Simpson 6 years, 9 months ago

We spend about $50-$75. We drive to MO because my husband has a bottle rocket addiction problem. He will just sit in a lawn chair and shoot them for hours out of his empty beer bottle. So glad we can shoot them where we live. We have another fun tradition on the 4th, we get out the water balloon launcher and shoot balloons at the cattle down in the pasture. Ahhh good clean redneck fun.

75x55 6 years, 9 months ago

People budget for cigarettes.... now THAT'S stupid.

Do you know how many pounds of H4350 you can get for what some people pay for cigarettes in a month?

:D

blue73harley 6 years, 9 months ago

Regarding ammo - one year my dad let me and my younger brother spend our fireworks money on .22s. Darn near melted the barrels down on our Winchesters while shooting at tin cans.

PrincessConsuelaBananaHammock 6 years, 9 months ago

Not one cent here. We go to watch a professional display and keep the explosives to those who know what they are doing. It amazes me that so many people gather for the 4th of July BBQ, complete with all the beer you care to drink and THEN start lighting things on fire to watch them blow up!! I'll just sip my drink and watch the fun, thanks! My dad always said that going to the fireworks stand and buying things was, "like taking a 20 dollar bill and lighting a match to it"

acg 6 years, 9 months ago

Next time my hubby and I sit down for the "budget talks" I'm going to slip that in to see his reaction. It kills me that folks budget for ammo. Too funny!!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 9 months ago

acg, Many people / familys have a monthly allotment in their household budget for ammo.

4th_grade_education 6 years, 9 months ago

I don't think it is the potential for fires that is the reason that bottle rockets are banned. Flowers, helicopters, and roman candles are more likely to start a fire than bottle rockets. The reason that they are banned is because 1) you usually buy them by the gross (144 in a pack) 2) because you do this, it takes forever to go through them 3) kids get bored easily 4) so kids start shooting them at each other 5) if one goes off in your eye, you can go blind.

Don't confuse the issue.

acg 6 years, 9 months ago

Snap you have a monthly budget for ammo? Liquor I can totally get, but ammo? Speaking of ammo, I'm going to start the "roof mounted rocket launcher initiative". I think that we should all get roof mounted rocket launchers for our cars. That way when you have to be somewhere and some idiot is in front of you doing 15 mph under the legal limit, then we should get to blow them away. I think if we put our heads together and really worked up a good plan, we should be able to get the gun nuts...er lobby behind us, at least. Can you see Charlton standing there?..."out of my cold dead hands!!".

Sorry for the rant. Stuck behind some total jackass on my lunch break who's car was held together in the back, I swear to God, by bunjee cords and duct tape. He made me late back to my office. Grrrrr.

packrat 6 years, 9 months ago

My in-laws live out in the country. I spend about $100. My brother-in-law spends over $300.

angelofmine 6 years, 9 months ago

I usually spend about $20.00 myself. My husband, the big 'ole kid that he is, usually spends about $300-$350 on fireworks. We go to Missouri as well.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 9 months ago

My July budget for ammo & liquor is about the same as any other month.

ms_canada 6 years, 9 months ago

Hey there, Jonas - should you not be writing yours posts in chinese and would that be manderin or cantonese? Are you cheating by using english here?

acg 6 years, 9 months ago

yep, RI, that's the one. He's really a very odd child. I'm kind of glad that he has a conscience at such a young age.

Gootsie 6 years, 9 months ago

zero.

Funny stuff today - again!!! You all are a blast!

ms_canada 6 years, 9 months ago

I spend the same as TOB and sgt. Jonas, there is a young man from my church studying chinese in an asian country right now. What a hoot it would be if he was in your class. He is part chinese. His mother is my good friend. Actually whole family good friends.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

Onlytheone: Bottlerockets don't start fires. Idiots with bottlerockets start fires. Ban the idiots, not the bottlerockets.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 10 months ago

At least $0, but no more than $0.

Actually, this year I'm going to be spending the 4th of July with my brother on an Air Force base. So, you know, the fireworks could level an entire city. Um, I mean, the weaponry could level an entire city. Not fireworks. Yeah. That's what I mean.

conservativepunker 6 years, 10 months ago

Biggest geenhouse gas country? There are several american manufacturers...i.e. Zenith. I grew up in the 60s and 70s before panic stricken parents that didn't want to supervise their spoiled offspring became the norm. I never started any fires with Bottlerockets, and this was in the days when thet weren't banned in suburbia. I've had a firecracker go off in my hand.....taught me not to hold 'em and light 'em....I just hate the attitude of banning something so parents don't have to take responsibility.........

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 10 months ago

acg, This is the infomercial and cooking show offspring?

He will have to wait a bit to attend, but you could send him to "Explosives Camp 2016" at UMR... http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11226636

acg 6 years, 10 months ago

hehe Sue, that was funny. "Man who walk thru turnstile sideways is going to Bangkok". LOL! We usually spend about $50, but then so do a few of our friends who come to our place because fireworks aren't illegal where we live so then together we have a good time. Not sure what we're doing this year, though. My 7 year old says to me "What are we going to do for 4th of July? Because fireworks are bad for the air and I don't want to pollute the air, but I like to blow stuff up". Out of the mouths of babes, eh?

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 10 months ago

"bottle rockets and snakes."

• Mike Paustian, fabricator, Lawrence

Somebody wanna mention the ban on bottle rockets in Kansas to Mr. Paustian?

They have been known to start quite a few fires.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 10 months ago

samsnewplace, reading your comment "ZERO" made me think of all the skateboard decks that I used to bootleg...er, I mean...buy... for my nephew when he was really into that.

trinity 6 years, 10 months ago

hah! it took me a minute, das, but i finally GOT it! :p i was fixin' to question you as to why you were apparently doggin' on mike.

it is monday, after all....

Das_Ubermime 6 years, 10 months ago

Don't believe Mike Paustian. That whole 'I spend $100 on fireworks' story is a fabrication.

trinity 6 years, 10 months ago

i wanna go wherever damon's display is! :) i like that attitude. myself i'll spend $25-30 bux, usually everybody in my lil' pyro circle spends similar or more, so we have one heckuva show! sigh i love living in podunk. :)

samsnewplace 6 years, 10 months ago

ZERO....kind of like gambling, why not just flush? I like my money more than that.

buffalo_star 6 years, 10 months ago

blown stufff up its the american way

sunflower_sue 6 years, 10 months ago

H_L, that was funny. (In a really sick way.) :$

sunflower_sue 6 years, 10 months ago

What? Lawrence banned fireworks. None of us buy fireworks anymore! Duh! :)

jonas, "Man who stand on toilet is high on pot." Does that count for speaking Chinese? If not, don't read it. And stay away from the explosives today!

H_Lecter 6 years, 10 months ago

It used to be an arm & a leg, but now it's just a finger or two.

jonas 6 years, 10 months ago

Generally nothing, but I kind of wish I had an M80 right now so I could light it and eat it.

Chinese class for four hours, studied for tomorrow for about 5. Not allowed to speak English.

First day of school. Ugh.

blue73harley 6 years, 10 months ago

Less than $100. Since we live just outside the city limits, friends and family tend to show up with more explosives so we generally end up with a fireworks induced fog.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 10 months ago

What? Put money in to the pockets of the biggest greenhouse gas producing country?