Previous   Next

What is your favorite summer activity?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 21, 2007

Browse the archives

“I would say riding my motorcycle. It’s too cold during the rest of the year.”

“Going to Grand Lake in Oklahoma. It’s the best. It’s a lot of fun, and I get to hang out with my family and friends.”

“Going to a T-Bones game. I like the hot dogs, and I like to play on the playground there.”

“Band camp, because of all the fun people you meet and all the crazy parties they have. Plus you get to play a lot of music.”

Comments

jonas 7 years, 6 months ago

Then move.

I would probably go with Frisbee golf, but I can't play it this summer, and I didn't play it last summer, so the verdict is still out I guess. So, I guess I'll go with grilling giant hunks of meat and vegetables on the grill, while drinking beer and hanging out with friends and family.

That, and hiding inside on the couch, eating potato chips and playing video games. It's okay, though, I have one of those shocker belly flab reducers, which I know it works, because it shows someone wearing one, obviously losing weight (otherwise, why would she be in the ad) while eating potato chips and watching TV. I have the upper hand, as video games on the Wii are more active for sure than just watching TV.

tir 7 years, 6 months ago

Hiding out in air-conditioned buildings to escape the bugs and summer heat .

acg 7 years, 6 months ago

We take an annual 4 day float trip on the Current River (best river to canoe in MO). The water is cold, clean and clear enough to see to the bottom where it's not too deep. We camp on the banks and dive off the cliffs. Explore the caves, where the water is 55 degrees. We drink copious amounts of beer and eat large hunks of meat grilled over open flame. It's awesome and I can't wait for this year's trip.

trinity 7 years, 6 months ago

hey acg, can i go can i huh can i can i can i???

lol, that sounds just absolutely fabulous! :)

Flap Doodle 7 years, 6 months ago

Let me just say "romping" & leave it at that.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 6 months ago

The Lawrence City Band concerts in the park and my tomato plants. Actually I don't care for summer a lot. It's too hot and humid. And I have mild allergies to insect bites, especially fleas, so to do anything outside, I have to smell like insect repellant. It's a bummer, since I love being outdoors. I prefer spring and fall.

ms_canada 7 years, 6 months ago

The four day folk music festival in Aug. is enough activity to last me for the whole summer. The event takes place on the side of a huge steep hill, (ask Ceallach about that,) and requires a lot of energy to trudge up and down those slopes. It's a ski slope in winter. Also taking care of my large yard at my cottage requires a lot of energy. But when the works all done, there is the enjoyment of sitting on the deck with a chilled one and some great music or a gab with the neighbours. But, oh my, acg's adventure does sound super great. Enjoy, acg, enjoy and relish.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 6 months ago

acg, you make me jealous, too! Been years since I've been on a float trip.

I like to hang out on my "virtual" front porch or my "virtual" back deck with neighbors and have a cold drink. I also like to shoot hoops on my "virtual" concrete pad in front of my not so virtual garage. Then, when I get all sweaty, I go inside and cool down in my "virtual" shower. There is an up side...all of this "virtualness" has gotten me out of hosting this year's July 4th festivities.

coolmom 7 years, 6 months ago

kayaking anywhere, grilling and hanging with friends and spending the days threatening the children if they dont turn down that (music)(video game)(tv)(attitude) and keeping the bugs off the plants. we do an annual trip on the current river as well. always a blast.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 6 months ago

RI, I say we load all the explosives and the kiddies up in the getaway cars and drive around Lawrence. We hop out at the home of every OTSer we have an address for, spend 2 minutes making merry, and drive off to the next location. The time limit should keep us from getting caught violating the fireworks ban, and we will have no mess to clean up. Working from one direction to the other, we should start at Gnome's house and end up at Ceal's. Sound like a plan?

angel 7 years, 6 months ago

Sunflower... Sure, Margarita is a very good mexican cocktail (not spanish, but mexican), but you cant drink much... Better than both, red wine! Red wine, yes, is a good spanish drink!!!

massst 7 years, 6 months ago

cruise on mass street ,,, its so fun

lmpaul 7 years, 6 months ago

Nothing like the Current River, unless it's the Jack's Fork River. It's a tremendous spot where those two come together. Cold, clear and deep - runs fast. Saw a T-shirt once that said, "One day on the Jack's Fork is worth a month in town." This summer, I'll paint my house, mow grass, sit on the patio and work 40 hrs every week. Hope to hear some live bands and maybe do a little singing myself. All you folks be careful and don't blow off your fingers when you light your fire works!

acg 7 years, 6 months ago

I love Jack's Fork Impaul. Of course, where the two come together is the greatest little rapids ride someone can find in the midwest. A few years ago when the river was really high we ran the current down to the jack's fork input and at that spot nearly everyone was killed. Canoes were going under, people were yelling and screaming, beer, coolers, clothes and shoes were floating down the river. My friend's dog went down for a minute or two, at least. It was scary at the time, but the adrenaline rush was worth it. I wish we were going this weekend.

angel 7 years, 6 months ago

Could i write Spanish? I think so: (I am spanish, but i read daily LJWorld. I like t very much). Maybe my comments will help someone to improve their Spanish:

Me gusta leer libros que no puedo leer durante el año. Me gusta pasar una larga tarde bajo una sombra, junto a una playa, con mis amigos, unas cervezas... Y una agradable conversación. Y me gusta disfrutar de mi sobrino, al que no veo a menudo.

Bye...

sunflower_sue 7 years, 6 months ago

angel, I'm not so good with spanish...but I like to read books, too. I always have one with me at all times. (Especially at the beach.) While reading, I'd much rather have a margarita, though!

erod0723 7 years, 6 months ago

My favorite part is running the ac at full blast and doing my part to ensure that global warming is a reality we will all face sooner or later. But seriously, drinking at 1pm and not getting called a drunk for it is the highlight of my summer.