Previous   Next

How do you like your potatoes?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 13, 2007

Browse the archives

“I don’t eat them too often, but when I do I just like them baked with butter and sour cream.”

“With regular potatoes, I would have to say I like the criss-cross cut french fries. But I eat more sweet potatoes because they’re better for you.”

“Steamed so they’re really soft. Baked is good too. I like them with sour cream and chives either way.”

“Baked with sour cream or all mashed together with cheese, butter, sour cream, chives and bacon.”

Comments

H_Lecter 7 years, 6 months ago

Playing "Mr Potatohead" would be much more interesting using real noses, ears, lips...

schula 7 years, 6 months ago

I second Blue -- Runza french fries are the best!

Bradley Kemp 7 years, 6 months ago

What? We don't get to hear how Jordan Yochim likes his potatoes? I thought he was the go-to guy for this sort of on-the-street question.

jonas 7 years, 6 months ago

Yeah?! We'll I got her number! How do you like them potatoes?

Flap Doodle 7 years, 6 months ago

BTW

I

wonder

how

spam-court

dot

com

likes

his

taters

?

trinity 7 years, 6 months ago

i love consumer's answer! amen! :)

i'm not picky; i like my taters pretty much any ol' way! but the fave would be a baked sweet tato with butter(REAL butter) and brown sugar. mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

acg 7 years, 6 months ago

trinity, butter and brown sugar?? really? I prefer taters fried but that's so bad for you, I usually ask for baked. Man, this questions has me wanting a big wheel barrow of cheese fries from molly mcgees. Mmmmm

Flap Doodle 7 years, 6 months ago

Was "Potato Mountain" the name of the short-lived restaurant that served nothing but mashed taters?

Ceallach 7 years, 6 months ago

How do I love them? Let me count the ways. fried with onions, baked with just about anything on them, red potatoes (skin on) boiled with garlic and then mashed with cream and butter, roasted with olive oil and rosemary, deep fried, oven fried, souped (is that a word?), hash browned, etc., etc., etc.

Kat Christian 7 years, 6 months ago

What do potatoes have to do with tea in China and the scheme of things? People are foreclosing on houses by the droves, shootings, carjackings, low wages, healthcare, no ice/roller rink and roundabouts. OMG?? Potatoes???

acg 7 years, 6 months ago

Molly's closed? Nooo, no more wheel barrow of cheese fries?! I didn't even know they were going to do it or I would've gone in for one last hurrah. Super sad now. :(

geniusmannumber1 7 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely, sunshine. OTS would have cured cancer YEARS ago if it weren't for these frivolous digressions the LJW insists on including. This question is the opiate of the masses.

luckyfrogfeet 7 years, 6 months ago

Potato Mountain was that restaurant downtown that served mashed taters with all sorts of toppings...i think the dude moved to alaska and the guy that bought it didn't do so hot....kinda miss it

canyon_wren 7 years, 6 months ago

I'm with Cellach--I can eat potatoes everyday, any old way, though I don't eat them all that often now as I am trying to eat fewer "white things" (white bread, white rice, etc.).

One of my favorite ways is to fix it like my mother fixed for us during WWII when there wasn't a whole lot of anything (especially meat) available. I cook hamburger (the more fatty kind, which makes better gravy) then put the appropriate amount of flour in the hamburger grease, keep stirring it till it almost burns (like a roux), then add milk, salt, and lots of pepper--put it over boiled potatoes. That is a feast, in my opinion. But potatoes are great in lots of other ways, as well.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 6 months ago

I like them prepared in any way that makes one cringe at the number of calories that will be coming your way if you choose to indulge.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 6 months ago

I like them fried with onions, but anymore people look at you like you're nuts if you admit to eating anything fried...

I also love mashed potatoes, and mashed sweet potatoes, and potato soup, and just plain old boiled potatoes with a bit of butter, salt and pepper.

Now I'm hungry...damn that question, anyway...

Sigmund 7 years, 6 months ago

Potatoes have evolved over the eons so that today they are a highly specialized delivery system for butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon bits, chives, salt, pepper, chili, and various other fats used for frying. Potatoes are sure proof that Darwin was correct!

trinity 7 years, 6 months ago

mmmm, acg, yeahhhh-i'm hooked on sweet potatoes fixed with butter&brown sugar! it is pretty some yummy! :) and, i'm resolved with the calorie/fat intake from such a dish and just can't give a hoot anymore, lol.

ceal i thoroughly enjoyed your ode to the potato! ;)

and canyon-that gravy over boiled taters was my staple dish way back in the day when my young'uns were little; i learned it from my momma. and it ain't half bad!

bearded_gnome 7 years, 6 months ago

aimee's way, yes indeed, she'll go far on taters that way! expect her to get a Ph.D.

taters with spam, taters with ham, a potato lover I am. crispy browns or bake, just give and I'll take. even delight in the skins, behold, the potato wins!

shooting, foreclosures, (see above post) everything goes easier with potatoes! just think, if every one in the world could eat potatoes every day, what peace would erupt, animosities die down, and hatreds forgotten. just keep your eyes on the fries.

southerngirl 7 years, 6 months ago

Potato soup with sausage in it ummmmmm.... ~d

acg 7 years, 6 months ago

My mom used to make a similar dish to the gr. beef/boiled taters, but instead she's smother fry the potatoes and then serve the whole thing over homemade biscuits. We called it sh*t on a shingle, even though I know there are many versions of that dish. Now I'm hungry and I miss my mommy.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 6 months ago

southerngirl? what kinda sausage? polish, cheriso? italian? sounds good to me.

bye all for know, glad had time to drop by.

irnmadn88 7 years, 6 months ago

I too like my potatoes fermented...Luksusowa style!

Otherwise new potatoes mashed with fresh chives, butter, sour cream and roasted garlic corrected with a little sea salt and white pepper.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 6 months ago

Unhealthy. I like them unhealthy. Fries are good.

acg 7 years, 6 months ago

offtotheright (Anonymous) says:

"I have heard from a person that was in Molly's kitchen repairing equipment, that they have/had the filthiest kitchen in Lawrence.

How does that make those cheese fries sound? Icky!"

Still sound pretty good to me because I never listen to people that are negative all of the time.

Soapdish 7 years, 6 months ago

I have to brag a weensie bit about my goat cheese smashed taters. B-reds, butter, milk, salt, pepper, parsely, and some nice room temp goat cheese (as much as you like, I could put in a pound if it weren't for the fat, blah blah blah...) and smash it all together with a meat tenderizer. My husband laughed the first time I made this with a meat tenderizer but we had just gotten married and didn't have a potato masher yet. I still make these with a meat tenderizer and he still laughs.

Works for me.

Nate Poell 7 years, 6 months ago

Oven fried in just a bit of olive oil with sage, basil, black pepper and garlic.

Oh, and Sigmund, you're more correct than you know WRT your Darwin quip. If you're interested, check out the chapter on potatoes in Michael Pollan's The Botany of Desire. It's pretty cool.

FredGarvin_MP 7 years, 6 months ago

Campfire breakfast: Cube & fry some tators w/ onions & green peppers, brown a pound of kielbasa & add to the tators, mix a touch of milk to 6 eggs, add to tators, let all that cook together for a while then top off w/ what ever kind of cheese you like (I prefer Velveeta cuz it melts really well into everything), then add your favorite salsa when severed.

ms_canada 7 years, 6 months ago

I like my potatoes on someone elses plate.

sourpuss 7 years, 6 months ago

I like my potatoes like I like my men...

(complete as you see fit)

Suggestions:

Steaming hot From Idaho (or the Yukon, etc.) Smothered in (choose topping)

southerngirl 7 years, 6 months ago

gnome- Polish sausage...Cut the sausage into bite-sized pieces and add to your favorite potato soup recipe-let it sit overnight so the flavor absorbs. My three children 10, 12 and 15 ask for it often... My mother called it Menonite Potato soup. ~d

blackwalnut 7 years, 6 months ago

Marion Lynn

Marion (Marion Lynn) says:

I like my potaotes fermented and distilled into vodka.

Thanks.

Marion.

OK now that's funny!

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 6 months ago

I just picked some new potatoes from my gardent. Clean them, cut them into big bite sized pieces, pick some onions and do the same. Through them into a bowl (with a lid) with some olive oil, garlic powder and cayenne. Put the lid on and shake it up, ooohoh. Turn the oven to 400, put everything in a baking pan and cook for about an hour, stirring every now and then. I am now sitting here stuffed and happy. Yum.

George_Braziller 7 years, 6 months ago

Marion you make it very clear way too often that "I like my potaotes fermented and distilled into vodka."

Sometimes when you aren't obviously three-sheets-to-the-wind while you are posting you do make intelligent and relevant comments.

daddax98 7 years, 6 months ago

re: sourpuss

In need of a good wash before you stick them in your mouth

nettieb 7 years, 6 months ago

Is there really any bad way to make a potato?

I enjoy the fermented kind as well..

erod0723 7 years, 6 months ago

I prefer them to have ears, eyes, and a nose. And a hole in the butt where I can keep them.