Previous   Next

Do you know how to defend yourself?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 12, 2007

Browse the archives

“Not really, no. I’ve never taken a self-defense class, but I might if it wasn’t too expensive. I think more people would if it was offered at their gym.”

“Sure. I don’t know any particular self-defense, but I’ve got a few things up my sleeve. I don’t think I would do very well, but I’d try.”

“No, I don’t think I would be able to. They don’t teach it in school, and I’ve never heard of any classes to take. But I would like to be able to.”

“I have no idea. I guess it would depend on the situation; if you’re talking about a bar fight, someone jumping me or robbing me. I would sure : try.”

Comments

trinity 7 years, 6 months ago

yes. i do. but not against unscrupulous bill collectors, i'll never get that art down pat! ;)

acg 7 years, 6 months ago

Absolutely! I've taken self defense courses, hand gun training courses, hand to hand combat training from several enlisted family members and I carry a 3 foot axe handle with me in the backseat of my car. My dad gave it to me when I was 15 and I can thankfully say I've only had to pull it out 4 times in 19 years.

paladin 7 years, 6 months ago

Can't rightly say fer shure. Allst I got er my bervado an ma deelusions. Oh, an that M-60 a mounted on ma porch rail. Put that there fer ma ex-wife. She ain't been around much, so its gettin a tad rusty.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 6 months ago

I wonder if anyone pulled any self-defense moves on the OTS reporter.

Devon Kissinger 7 years, 6 months ago

No sir, not at all, just your basic everyday victim waiting for law enforcement to protect me from evil. I'm sure they're everywhere all the time, right?

minko224 7 years, 6 months ago

Yell out "Remember the death penalty!" This should deter the criminal from killing you.

Kathy Getto 7 years, 6 months ago

Miss Congeniality says,always remember to "SING" when attacked. Seriously - one should always have a safety plan. Prevention, prevention, prevention.

minko224 7 years, 6 months ago

A good movie to watch for self-training is "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken" the star of the movie has hands that are registered as lethal weapons.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 6 months ago

I sent my young teen off this morning w/ another young teen. Before they left, we reviewed safety measures. My girl agreed w/ Valkyrie...she said "SING!" I tell my girls to not be afraid to hurt someone. Go for the groin and the eyes. I tell them to scratch like a hell cat. Kick, hit, bite if you have to. I remind them that it's better to die in a parking lot than to die in the woods alone. Not expert advice, but the best I can do for now. The hubby has mentioned that he wants all "his girls" to take a class in self defense. I think that's probably a good idea. I've had some close calls over the years. The last time I just turned around "all pi$$ed" and confronted the guy. He ran away. (Thank God!)

lmpaul 7 years, 6 months ago

Had some self-defense training years ago. But mostly - stay totally aware of my surroundings and who is in my personal space - no one closer than 3 ft unless invited. And -I look in my vehicle before getting in; lock the door immediately. I don't carry valuables and very little money. Never give my address or number to a stranger. If I'm nervous in a mall, I strike up a conversation with a clerk. Other than that, I'd kick, scream, head butt, claw, gouge eyes, bite and become a totally pissed off wild cat.

jonas 7 years, 6 months ago

Right, Marion. You still have Ben as your bodyguard?

aaaahahahahahahahaha

mom_of_three 7 years, 6 months ago

Yes, and so do my three kids.
An email about safety has been circulating since Kelsey Smith was abducted and murdered. there are some very good tips.

stuckinthemiddle 7 years, 6 months ago

No one really knows if they can until they have to. Some people who think that they can, fail. Others, who think that they can't defend themselves, suprise themselves and do well.

mom_of_three 7 years, 6 months ago

Sunflower Sue, that's what I have been telling my girls. We were in Wichita and surrounding area over the weekend, and we sent them everywhere in pairs. it's hard not to be over protective and still be safe. My car keys has one of those panic buttons, so if I am in a parking lot, I can hit that button. i wish i could carry it everywhere.

Staci Dark Simpson 7 years, 6 months ago

We need to teach kids young. I teach my preschoolers stranger danger and I tell them to kick, fight, yell whatever they have to do to draw attention. I think its a great idea to know how to defend yourself and be aware of your surroundings. Its too bad that a murder had to remind us of these things.

H_Lecter 7 years, 6 months ago

I'm pretty good with a catling, scapel, and...a fork

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 6 months ago

I bet you keep that AR15 in your pocket, huh?

I am one mean kitty kat when I feel threatened and can scream like a banshee. If I can't get to their family jewels to yank them from their torso their knee cap is going to go in a direction nature had not intended before I rip their eyeballs from their sockets.

paladin 7 years, 6 months ago

Ya'll seem kinda prone ta violence. Seems it ain't far from the surface. Don't that make ya nervous? Cain' be good fer yer health. Mebe ya'll need ta take off n go a fishin. Take the younguns, er not.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 6 months ago

Das - I've heard that holy hand grenades are quite effective against those very irate rabbits...

minko224 7 years, 6 months ago

I just lost the bus driver post so I wanna jump on here and just bam boom solve the whole thing! Ok Ok what we need to do is come up with some form of mind control that will enable a victim to insert their mind into the criminal "attackers" mind and cause the head to explode or something along those lines. Lots of blood and guts but it's cool because it's bad guy blood and guts.

minko224 7 years, 6 months ago

How we gonna do it? How we gonna get us some mind control? Shall we alter the genetic code to enhance para-psychological powers? Or shift the planets uhh rotation causing severe leaps in brain power for all the good people throughout our fantastic uh world? I'll start on it right away. Look for an article in LJW on it.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 6 months ago

Wasn't there a movie about mind control making people's head explode? Was that "Scanners"?

Bone777 7 years, 6 months ago

I try to take a passive approach to violent situations, but if that doesn't work....

6'4" and 265lbs comes in handy.

ImpactWinter 7 years, 6 months ago

Like I said in another related thread: Keep your head on a swivel, pay attention to the world around you at all times, and avoid situations and places where you could be cornered or surprised and you'll likely never have to defend yourself against anything.

unite2revolt 7 years, 6 months ago

I was once able to disarm some one who tried to butt-stroke me with a M-16. It honestly happened so fast I have no idea how I did it. It was all reaction. That said I have also been sucker-punched several times with no chance to react. If anybody on the street ever asks you for something, dont stick both your hands in your pockets to look for it at the same time. A lesson learned the hard way.

Bill Chapman 7 years, 6 months ago

I avoid fighting until I can't - then all bets are off. I fight dirty. I plan to be the one walking from the fight with my opponent on the ground. I know that pain is like fuel to me in an emergency (past experience) and when fighting in that state I have no emotion or thought but to maim or kill my opponent in the most convenient way(why I avoid fighting). Every fight I have been in was started by someone hitting me first - and them hitting the ground shortly after. I love kneecaps and ankles - it is so hard to stand when they are broken. Dislocated shoulders are fun (and painful) too.

coolmom 7 years, 6 months ago

all of my kids and i went through self defense training. local law enforcement puts on classes. i also learned hand to hand and firearms in the military years ago and while i might not be in the shape i was then i think i could still swing the bat. with our oldest girl we started her in taekwondo at age 9 just for fun and now at age 14 she is a second degree black belt and i just keep her in the trunk for emergencies lol. seriously if someone really was intent on harming you it would be a battle for your life and anything is open. they say if they shove you in a car or make you drive to try and wreck the car immediatly and dramatically. you never really know how you will react but i am sure everyone in here would fight to save themselves and others. sad commentary the fact that we have to or that we send our kids out the door with those kind of trainings.

RKLOG 7 years, 6 months ago

I can shoot three bottles thrown up in th' air.

gogoplata 7 years, 6 months ago

I can shoot the eye out of a bird in flight and put a round through a fleas a$$ at 200 meters.

Not really

Just a couple of movie lines. Anyone name the movies?