Previous   Next

What are you most looking forward to at the Wakarusa Music & Camping Festival?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 7, 2007

Browse the archives

“The music, especially Les Claypool. I’m a bass player, so I got to see Les.”

“The music lineup of course. That’s why we’re all here. I’m also looking forward to meeting the kind of people this music attracts - all my friends I haven’t shaken hands with.”

“Medeski Martin and Wood, Widespread, Les Claypool and the Cosmopolitans. I’ve seen them all before, but it will be great to see them all again.”

“The roar and the energy of a lot of people dancing all day.”

Comments

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

So much music even a caveman can enjoy it!

average 8 years, 2 months ago

I would have gone today (I like Crooked Still and recommend them to those who are going), but I have other things to do this weekend, and the promoters don't see fit to sell a ticket to Thursday alone.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 2 months ago

Little Feat, but I may not be able to go. We'll see though . . . . Feats don't fail me now!!!

kcgregory 8 years, 2 months ago

avg,

From festival organzier the other day:

Brett Mosiman: You will be able to get a single day thursday pass at our box office. We don't advertise this but it is the same policy as previous years.

Get on out there!

Ken Miller 8 years, 2 months ago

The economic stimuli provided by lots of out-of-towners.

bevy 8 years, 2 months ago

I look forward to it being over - mostly because my parents live just north of the lake and it drives my mom nuts. She loves music (yes, even rock - she's a rockin' grandma) but she feels like it should stop at a reasonable hour - like midnight - so she can get some sleep. It also unnerves the dogs...

perkins 8 years, 2 months ago

My attorney pals are looking forward to the fees they will get defending those arrested. After last year's brouhaha, they told me they would list themselves as sponsors or something for this year's fest.

OfficeGirl 8 years, 2 months ago

Why in the world would you list yourself as a "transient"? The 1st guy at least had the brains to call it "unemployed". Is being a transient, AKA "lazy, no ambition, support me please because I have no desire to do so for myself", cool now? I think it would be embarrassing to label oneself that way. He obviously is old enough to work and he doesn't look handicapped or unable to work. What is this world coming to when one proudly proclaims for a newspaper article that they are a "transient"? He must have had some good days panhandling to be able to afford the tickets.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

office girl, "transient" doesn't necessarily mean unemployed. Remember all those "transient" workers that old farmer dude in NW MO killed a while back (probably a long while back). He'd hire them on and come pay day...he'd "void his contract." He died in prison but I think his wife (a.k.a. accomplice) may still be there?? Besides, it's hard work (especially on these hot, blustery days) to stand out on a corner holding a large piece of cardboard. :)

consumer, that was great!

snap, I love Meatloaf!

beatrice 8 years, 2 months ago

White bowler hats are so 2001.

Is asking only the caveman transient types about the Wak Fest akin to racial profiling? I don't see any suits being asked this question. I think the anarchists should hold a rally in protest.

Tony Kisner 8 years, 2 months ago

I have a vision of office girl with high heels, hair in a very tight bun and a disapproving look on her face. Yikes!

Looks like Grant and Steve are at a minimum honest. Although I thought I saw Grant at the last Berkshire annual meeting in Omaha.

I look forward to living viciously through my kid who is out at the lake, she better be having a good time, and keeping good notes.

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

Easy_Does_It, I had the exact same vision! ROFL! I picture most of the uptight folks on these boards that way, though. To hear them tell it, they were all born at 50 and have been responsible, perfect, crime and party free citizens ever since, too. Not only do I picture a lot of tight bunned women looking disapproving but I also have a constant old man in the bathrobe screaming at the kids to stay off his lawn picture in my head of a lot of them, as well. They never drank, partied, had premarital sex, smoked anything including cigarettes but especially weed and have never turned their radios up past the 3rd click on the knob. Never fear, though. Not everyone in Lawrence over the age of 35 is ready for the grave yet. I will be at Wak Fest representin' for the old folks who still have some groove in their step and some happy in their hearts.

OfficeGirl 8 years, 2 months ago

You would be oh so wrong about me. I have gone to more than my fair share of concerts, etc. I have just always had to earn my way through this world. I would totally fall off of high heels and I rebel against the tight bun or ponytail due to my mother putting my hair in the "face-lift ponytail" often when I was a child. I don't really disapprove of much as it's usually easier to adopt the idea of "to each their own" but this was just too weird and I felt a need to comment. And the guy doesn't look like he's employed. Who in the world would hire someone with crazy hair. I hope all who attend have a blast and smoke one for me as I quit many years ago but did inhale as it was fun (ny). I would be the one who blasts through your neighborhood on my way to work with the stereo turned up and the windows down -- at 6:15 in the morning. My disapproving looks were usually reserved for my children when they were teenagers and said "whatever" to something but they are grown and gone now so those looks are long forgotten.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Office girl, I think they were referring to me as uptight as I've never done any of those things on acg's list! And I LOVE tight buns...and I'm not ashamed to admit it!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone else find it funny that Geiko-caveman-transient dude said "roar?" Wonder if he has a club? And a loincloth?

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

So he's a transient. Give him a break. Maybe he is spending the summer following festivals and copping squats on couches and in vans. He's a kid for Christ's sake. What would you people have him do? Spend his time locked in a cube farm hating his life like most of America? Burdened by bills, stress and responsibility? I say, caveman transient dude, enjoy yourself now while you can. You have the next 40 years to work your ass off and be miserable and grumpy.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

Can women be transients? Can cavewomen?
Maybe caveman transient dude is really our beloved snap???
Maybe white bowler hats are "all the rage" in Fargo, ND??? Technically, it's not past labor day yet...white is OK. The color will repel the heat and maybe the hat will keep his 'do from getting mussed in this wind...how do you set up for a band in all this wind? Seriously! I'm switching to decaf.

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

Speaking of the Geico dude, I have to say that I love the guy but at the same time he kind of disturbs me a little. I can't explain it but whenever that commercial comes on I find myself unable to look away from his face but at the same time a little perturbed afterward. Like a little queasy and creeped out, with some underlying amusement.

OfficeGirl 8 years, 2 months ago

I think I have done everything listed on acg's list except tell kids to get off the lawn in a bathrobe. I may still do some of them--occasionally. sunflower sue--I too love tight buns, just not in my hair. There's nothing like watching the spouse walk away.......... acg--if that's what he's doing, wonderful for him, but the adjustment back to the real world of working his a$$ off due to the burden of real life--i.e. bills, stress and responsibility-- is going to be a b#tch and he really looks like he's never done anything that resembles that cube farm thing you refer to. Wait, I work in a cube farm, but it's OK. I work 5 days so that I can enjoy 2 with my family. Hey, it's the American way, right? I also greatly enjoy the things, experiences, etc that my cube farm work allows me. It's a trade off but it works.

OfficeGirl 8 years, 2 months ago

They all look as if they may be sporting "illegal smiles". What fun.

ohjayhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

The buzz I'm going to have in 3 days or so when all that smoke drifts over to me here in Ohio... unless the people in Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana bogart all of it before it gets here!

acg 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm not trying to bust chops, I'm just saying that adulthood can be a b*tch, and ya'll know it. So they're hippies (or today's equivalent) and they're stoned and they're probably not that productive right now at this point in their lives, but lets let the kids be kids while they can because before you know it, all of that carefree runs out and you gotta buckle down and fly right. I appreciate every minute of the "transient" status I had when I was fresh out of high school. Between 1991 and 1993 1/2 I moved from state to state checking things out, meeting new people, picking up odd jobs where I could for dough, going to shows, sleeping in a 1980 olds cutlass supreme and I was probably dirty and more than a little high and I'm sure the old folks grumbled about me and others just like me, but I had the time of my life and I'll never regret it. I suggest this for everyone. Take a few years off and go have fun. Wait tables and throw papers for cash. See the countryside on your own terms. Go to concerts and test the waters. You'll be glad you did.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 2 months ago

acg, I'm a bit jealous as I never got the opportunity to be a "transient." My hubby did, kind of... After college, he went to Colorado to be a ski bum for the season. He had just started dating me, figured out pretty quickly that I was "the one" for him, and so he ran for the hills! Ha! Seriously, he figured he'd never get the opportunity again. I'm glad he did it. He loved it and learned a lot about people. He worked at a resort during the day and spent all of his free time skiing...or so he said. :)
I, however, graduated college 3 years married, and VERY pregnant. I spent my "transient" years changing diapers and leaking milk!

OfficeGirl 8 years, 2 months ago

Ah, yes, John Prine. Takes me back. I saw Lynyrd Skynyrd at Hoch Auditorium. Ozark Mountain Daredevils at Allen Field House when a friend of ours went to LMH in an ambulance after consuming too many special brownies and thinking he was going to die--on his way out he was telling the EMTs every single drug he had ever done..........yes, those were the days.

Kelly Boyle-Wolfe 8 years, 2 months ago

I TOO saw Black Flag at the KU ballroom in '85. One of the best shows I have ever seen.....Henry Rollins is amazing. I miss shows at the ballroom.