Previous   Next

What was your favorite summer camp activity?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 5, 2007

Browse the archives

“My mother was a big 4-H leader in the community, so I would go to 4-H camp. I really enjoyed any of the activities that had to do with arts and crafts.”

“I guess it would just be playing sports outside with my friends. It was enough for me just to be out of school.”

“Probably canoeing, because it’s fun to tip other people over.”

“When I went to YMCA camp, they had us build tree forts. It’s a fun activity for an 8-year-old.”

Comments

Marion Lynn 6 years, 10 months ago

Snake hunting.

Loved to catch those blacksnakes and blue racers.

Gotta be careful with them as they are real biters!

The copperheads were always cranky and the rattlers were tough to get hold of.

Don't make any mistakes with those guys though!

Rattlers can be tasty and do NOT taste like chicken!

Thanks.

Marion.

H_Lecter 6 years, 10 months ago

It had to do with superglue ,,,and human skin

countrygirl 6 years, 10 months ago

As a camp counselor who had 7 and 8 year old boys at 4-H camp, my favorite activity was the trap shoot. They insisted that I try too, and when I managed to hit 4 out of 5 (the guy throwing was a friend of mine!) I had their attention the rest of camp. They thought it was pretty cool that a girl could shoot a gun. I still smile thinkin about how excited the little guys got.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 10 months ago

Least favorite activity: Going horseback riding where they made you go so slow that you might as well have been walking the darn horse! What's the point of that??? (Still bitter.)

I got my darling off to camp this moring. Wonder what she'll say when she returns.

RI, how is BFESD?

small_fish_in_small_pond 6 years, 10 months ago

KU basketball camps...I really thought I would play for KU some day. And I might have if it weren't for an absentee Father.

bobberboy 6 years, 10 months ago

Oh yea - I did like to play the skin flute.

Kylee Manahan 6 years, 10 months ago

Band Camp!!! when it was 6 weeks long. It was the best experience of my life. I met so many kids from everywhere. It was so much fun!!!

i_have_only_valid_opinions 6 years, 10 months ago

Top 3 memories (you could say they were "activities"):

1) Making out with some fine girls behind the dining hall after dark 2) Catching the grass on fire by exploding an entire brick of Black Cat firecrackers at once 3) Establishing the fact that it takes exactly 8 seconds for a fart to air out of blue jeans (6 for shorts)

trinity 6 years, 10 months ago

awww hawklet! :) that's just cuter'n a speckled pup sittin' in the shade under a red wagon on a hot summer day!

hawklet21 6 years, 10 months ago

woah, dorothy! Your summers sound exactly like mine... I loved the basement of that library! And the cool step-thingies that were in the corner that you could climb up on, but I couldn't make it to the top one...

Staci Dark Simpson 6 years, 10 months ago

Band camp. At KU. Totally awesome, met some cool people. Didn't play the flute though.

conservativepunker 6 years, 10 months ago

Vacationing at our family's cabin in Colorado. In the middle of the Pike National Forest, we were the only ones for miles around. We had a lovely Trout pond, which provided many fresh Trout for breakfast....Wonderful.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 10 months ago

Once again, I'm curious to see H_L's answer to this one.

Oh, and I never really went to summer camp, so my favorite summer camp activity was not going to summer camp.

bobberboy 6 years, 10 months ago

swimming and the fixin of the vittles.

trinity 6 years, 10 months ago

LOL, me too dorothy, me too...in fact i grew up right next to skunk run! so i guess i qualify for being a skunk run rat. and as an adult-lived very very VERY close to it yet again, for many years. my own kids had the privilege of being 'run rats! i think they killed its ambiance when they concreted the walls, tho. :-/

i so agree; i am so very glad that i grew up back in the day. nothin' like bennett's ice cream after a hot afternoon at the BIG pool! :)

i'm absolutely going to join the ADULT summer reading program at the teeny library in the town where i now live. :) y'all have inspired me!

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 10 months ago

trinity , I forgot about the wading pool! I used to like jumping off the bandstand and playing on the cannon. We used to play in the City Creek, better known as Skunk Run. Cheers to all the old Skunk Run Rats! I'm glad I grew up when I did.

Ceallach 6 years, 10 months ago

trinity, we are truly a kindred spirits!!!!

My favorite (and only) activity the first two days of summer camp (age 10) was laying on the top bunk, watching the other children laughing as they went from activity to activity. You will find this hard to believe but I didn't follow the rules :{ I had captured the coveted "top bunk" position and was therefore playing "Queen of the Mountain" when I fell down, broke my crown (almost) and had to remain quiet for two days. Truthfully, that "remaining quiet" thing is still one of my most difficult tasks :) And yes, snap, it was long ago that I too remember the mammoth rides!

trinity 6 years, 10 months ago

heyyyy dorothy do you remember that sweet little oval wading pool in city park? i spent hours upon hours, both at the ottawa library&that pool when i was too young to venture to forest park by myself. ahhhhhhhh memories.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 10 months ago

I grew up in Ottawa, and my family was way to poor to send us to any camps. Only the wealthy had air conditioning back then. The Carnegie library didn't either, but the childrens section was in the basement, so it was nice and cool. I remember riding my bike all over town during the morning, then going to the library and curling up in a cool chair to read. I really feel sorry for the kids nowadays. They can only have structured activities. Never time to let their imaginations wander.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 10 months ago

This one time at (fill in the blank) camp...

blue73harley 6 years, 10 months ago

I've got nothing to say since the closest I ever got to camp was listening to Allan Sherman...and good luck getting this little tune out of your head!

Hello Muddah, hello Fadduh. Here I am at Camp Granada. Camp is very entertaining, And they say we'll have some fun if it stops raining.

I went hiking with Joe Spivy. He developed poison ivy. You remember Leonard Skinner... He got ptomain poisoning last night after dinner.

All the counselors hate the waiters, And the lake has alligators, And the head coach wants no sissies, So he reads to us from something called "Ulysses".

Now I don't want this should scare ya, But my bunk mate has malaria. You remember Jeffrey Hardy... They're about to organize a searching party.

Take me home, oh Muddah, Fadduh, Take me home, I hate Granada! Don't leave me in the forest where I might get eaten by a bear.

Take me home, I promise I will not make noise, Or mess the house with other boys. Oh, please don't make me stay, I've been here one whole day.

Dearest Father, darling Mother, How's my precious little brother? Let me come home if you miss me, I would even let Aunt Bertha hug and kiss me.

Wait a minute, it stopped hailing, Guys are swimming, gals are sailing. Playing baseball, gee that's betta, Muddah, Fadduh, kindly disregard this letter!

trinity 6 years, 10 months ago

first?! what on EARTH does that say about this ots question...

the one year that i was enrolled and ready to go to a summer camp, i somehow stumbled upon poison ivy prior to the first day of camp&didn't get to go. :( the memories have scarred me for life.