Previous   Next

What do you do to make it through tough times?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on June 3, 2007

Browse the archives

“I pray a lot, I sing a lot and I get drunk a lot.”

“I would say talk to my friends and family, I guess. When you don’t have the experience to deal with a situation alone, you should look to those who do.”

“If it’s a really tough time, I read Jane Austen. In tough times you need to enter a calm world, and that’s what she offers.”

“First I pray, then call mom and then I call all of my friends to go out and get drunk. It will get you through.”

Comments

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

I think the best is a positive attitude, a never say die mentality, a great support group, good friends, and psylocibic mushrooms. Yeah, that ought to do it.

Kat Christian 8 years, 2 months ago

I lean on my faith. I have a good cry then follow through with the strength God gives me and my mother's advice. I trust that God has a plan for me and is teaching me something. Then I remember what my mother use to tell me: Pull on your boots by the boot straps, stand up straight, don't look back and walk forward with confidence. This too shall soon pass. Usually it will. If it changes you then you've learned something that God was trying to teach you. If you continue on the same then you should thank God for getting you through in one piece.

Jamesaust 8 years, 2 months ago

Honestly. This was the most entertaining On the Street in a long time. Almost "Onionesque."

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 2 months ago

Interesting that two of the four responders both cited prayer and drunkenness.

gccs14r 8 years, 2 months ago

Are we scrounging the landfill for raw materials? Are we eating crows and robins for sustenance? Do we have to wear body armor and use available cover to make it down the street? No. The last time we had "tough times" was in the 30s. We've become soft. We have inconveniences and think they're catastrophes.

trinity 8 years, 2 months ago

read the ots; the fun just never ends. this site has the ability to pull even the most dour personalities out of the doldrums! well-alMOST all of 'em. :)

jonas 8 years, 2 months ago

Gootsie: Break? Is it sunday or monday there? I can't even remember what day it is here, but it seems like it must be monday now.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 2 months ago

Seriously. This is hilarious. But I have to wonder: what would happen if you read Jane Austen while you were drunk?

paladin 8 years, 2 months ago

I make sure there's plenty of paper available, make sure the door's locked, sit down and get comfartable, read a magazine or newspaper or do a crossword, take my time and take care not to strain too hard and bust anything.

H_Lecter 8 years, 2 months ago

Just knowing that I'm better off than some really helps. I have several friends that don't have all their fingers on their right hands. I feel so bad for them; they were only trying to help me recover that ring that fell into my remote-controlled garbage disposal. They're lucky too though because the Nemco 4 hp disposal is powerful enough to make quick work of a femur.

Godot 8 years, 2 months ago

I just tell myself, "Breathe deep; contemplate; you have been through this before, be strong."

I used to pray. That just made things worse.

paladin 8 years, 2 months ago

That's exactly what I tell myself, too. Be strong, you've been through this before. Just relax and let er go.

paladin 8 years, 2 months ago

Sometimes I pray, too, for the Lord to deliver this burden from me.

Godot 8 years, 2 months ago

Paladin, maybe that works better than, "show me the way."

pelliott 8 years, 2 months ago

I try and blame someones mother, if that isn't possible, I blame society not understanding that rich white men are a beleagured minority. If it is really bad, I go all the way damn the liberal socialist antiwar anarchists for crucifying Bush.

conservativepunker 8 years, 2 months ago

I go to Austin TX and visit all my old musician friends from the "New Sincerity" days.

Flap Doodle 8 years, 2 months ago

I contemplate the lot of the nearly extinct soft-shelled whooping chihauhau. By comparison, my life is a bed of roses.

drewdun 8 years, 1 month ago

Drink what I call 'dreamjuice' - otherwise known as Lowenbrau. Fills the empty spots, as my friends say.

Tony Kisner 8 years, 1 month ago

I think Dave's "get drunk" cure is possibly the cause, or maybe not?

Kathy Getto 8 years, 1 month ago

"All you need is love, dum de dum de dum, all you need is love, love................................"

justsomewench 8 years, 1 month ago

i usually get weepy, blame canada, and talk to my dogs.

eventually, it passes. it always does.

gogoplata 8 years, 1 month ago

I drive trucks, break arms, and arm wrestle. It's what I love to do, it's what I do best.

erod0723 8 years, 1 month ago

"Interesting that two of the four responders both cited prayer and drunkenness." This is because prayer doesn't work and causes the person to get even more depressed. And everyone knows that a little alcohol will patch that up right away.

erod0723 8 years, 1 month ago

As for me, I watch stupid comedies and get piss drunk. Never fails.