Previous   Next

Have you had any unusual pets?

Browse the archives

“Sea monkeys. I had to grow them out of eggs. They’re funny looking; that’s all I know.”

“I’ve had a ferret. It was sort of fun, but it slept a lot, and it tried to bite me.”

“No, just a dog and 14 fish. I’d like to get a catfish for my tank.”

“No. I just have a cat. I used to have two more cats, but they died.”

“I had a weird-looking fish, but now I just have a dog, a cat and two horses.”

“Sort of. I’ve had an iguana, dogs, cats, gerbils and tons of fish.”

Related story

Comments

jonas 7 years, 4 months ago

Well, there's the gimp, but the gimp's sleeping.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 4 months ago

I've kept a brown recluse spider as a pet. The recluse isn't too unusual, though. There were hundreds more of them outside of the old fish tank. I've also kept tarantulas, scorpions a black widow and a small alien life form known as the Quipp...just seeing if you're paying attention!~)

aquakej 7 years, 4 months ago

cool question! I have: 2 cats, 6 poison dart frogs, 1 day gecko, 1 leopard gecko, 1 rosy boa, corals, fish, hermit crabs, emerald crab, snails, and shrimp. I have had in the past: gerbils, mice, hamsters, crested geckos, dogs, zebra finches, one tarantula, several jumping spiders, one funnel-web spider, an Australian walking stick, creyfish, anemones, newts, tree frogs, um....what else IS there??

staff04 7 years, 4 months ago

I had an orange-kneed tarantula. She lived for over 15 years--longer than most dogs! Great pet...

coolmom 7 years, 4 months ago

i have 2 iguanas, one is about 2 feet and the other is a little over 5 feet. i also have 3 teenagers and a 9 year old, oh and a hubby i suppose he would count as well.

coolmom 7 years, 4 months ago

my sister raises squirrels who lose their mamma and a visit to her house is quite exciting. while sitting on the porch in the morning reading the paper and drinking a cup of coffee you were bound to become a spur of the moment squirrel toy and they would run and leap all over you and chew on the paper. on visits i rarely got half way through the paper before retreating.

Bill Chapman 7 years, 4 months ago

Snakes! Lots of snakes ( I used to a student assistant to Mr. Roth at LHS). Bull, black, grass, ringneck(they are fun!), boa, etc. Had a gecko too. I had a rattlesnake for a house guest for a couple of weeks - it had been run over by a car. I took it the vet, and then home(the vet didn't want it) and cared for it until it was able to eat, then I released it in the woods. Some snakes are not easy to care for, and I do not advise anyone to have one as a pet until they have talked to a vet, read a book about the snake they are considering (many people by boas or pythons because they are big - but fail to consider just HOW big they can get), and last talk to the snake person at the pet store (many pet store employees can help you, but you should ask to talk to the snake "expert" in the store because many employees are just interested in selling you the snake).

lmpaul 7 years, 4 months ago

Uh, I raised a robin once and my children raised a starling. I had a creep once that had a mullet and was a cheater.

Jeezus 7 years, 4 months ago

...dad created me a Big-Foot but it evolved.

Jeezus 7 years, 4 months ago

dad had a pet snake too, but it was just trouble.

ranger73 7 years, 4 months ago

triops ar very cool-they are like seamonkeys but get BIG. Hobby Lobby sells them. They look like mini horseshoe crabs and get to be about 2" long. Much better than seamonkeys.

Cait McKnelly 7 years, 4 months ago

When I was growing up we lived in a rural area. My father was very much the animal guy and at various times (not all at once!) we had a spider monkey, a raccoon, a crow, rare and unusual bantam chickens, including Polish (Paduan) chickens (http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Polish/BRKPolishBanty.html), roller pigeons ( I have a picture of my daughter when she was 4 sitting in a child's lawn chair with a pan of bird feed in her lap and covered in fancy pigeons), a peacock and peahen and others I'm sure I can't even think of right now. I do know one time he brought home a baby bobcat and my mom put her foot down and said absolutely not. When I was in junior high I wrote an essay about the different animals my dad kept and I was accused of lieing by my English teacher. My mother had to go to the school and tell the teacher I was telling the truth. Too bad I wasn't Bindy. My first husband was a professional entomologist (insect dude) and a founder of the first insect zoo in Washington Park Zoo in Portland, OR. When first opened the insect zoo was a summer only zoo as it did not have a permanent display structure and was simply a kiosk. Each year for several years after Labor Day my husband brought home insects that had survived the summer and kept them in their own room. He set up separate climate control for the room. We had Japanese Gold Beetles, African Beetles and others I can't recall (this was 25 years ago!)

mom_of_three 7 years, 4 months ago

had a pet rock as a kid....about as unusual as I get...