Previous   Next

Have you had any unusual pets?

Browse the archives

“Sea monkeys. I had to grow them out of eggs. They’re funny looking; that’s all I know.”

“I’ve had a ferret. It was sort of fun, but it slept a lot, and it tried to bite me.”

“No, just a dog and 14 fish. I’d like to get a catfish for my tank.”

“No. I just have a cat. I used to have two more cats, but they died.”

“I had a weird-looking fish, but now I just have a dog, a cat and two horses.”

“Sort of. I’ve had an iguana, dogs, cats, gerbils and tons of fish.”

Related story

Comments

mom_of_three 6 years, 8 months ago

had a pet rock as a kid....about as unusual as I get...

Cait McKnelly 6 years, 8 months ago

When I was growing up we lived in a rural area. My father was very much the animal guy and at various times (not all at once!) we had a spider monkey, a raccoon, a crow, rare and unusual bantam chickens, including Polish (Paduan) chickens (http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Polish/BRKPolishBanty.html), roller pigeons ( I have a picture of my daughter when she was 4 sitting in a child's lawn chair with a pan of bird feed in her lap and covered in fancy pigeons), a peacock and peahen and others I'm sure I can't even think of right now. I do know one time he brought home a baby bobcat and my mom put her foot down and said absolutely not. When I was in junior high I wrote an essay about the different animals my dad kept and I was accused of lieing by my English teacher. My mother had to go to the school and tell the teacher I was telling the truth. Too bad I wasn't Bindy. My first husband was a professional entomologist (insect dude) and a founder of the first insect zoo in Washington Park Zoo in Portland, OR. When first opened the insect zoo was a summer only zoo as it did not have a permanent display structure and was simply a kiosk. Each year for several years after Labor Day my husband brought home insects that had survived the summer and kept them in their own room. He set up separate climate control for the room. We had Japanese Gold Beetles, African Beetles and others I can't recall (this was 25 years ago!)

Pywacket 6 years, 8 months ago

Oh, nasty! My evil, warthog brother sent one of my kids a packet of triops once. I have never seen such hideous, disgusting things. As they grew, they devoured each other until there were just a couple left. Then they died (thank god). They looked like something that might have crawled out of the sewer. I'm not a girly girl--I handle nightcrawlers, clean my own fish, etc. But these suckers were nasty.

My niece's birthday is coming up. I think this is the year she's gonna get her very own Little Susie Home Appendectomy Kit (as seen on TV).

~~Little Susie Home Appendectomy Kit~~

Amaze your friends! Render Dad speechless! Just tiptoe into Dad's room early, while he's still sleeping off last night's beer. Remove the special Chlorocloth from its resealable pouch. (Careful not to inhale, kids!) Place cloth over Dad's face for 15 seconds, then reseal tightly in pouch. (You'll want to take the kit to Grandma's next weekend!) Assemble your appendectomy tools on the bedside stand and let the fun begin! Important: Follow all Directions from 1 to 15 IN THAT ORDER. No shortcuts. Do NOT skip #12. Caution: Appendix should match 'Appendix Illustration' on Directions sheet. If no appendix is found, do NOT remove anything else. Dad may have lost his appendix when he was younger. Don't be disappointed--leave something instead--such as a jingle bell, a catnip mouse, a hand buzzer.. be creative! Later, Dad will chuckle to realize what a great sense of humor you inherited from him.

Little Susie Doctor Smock, Stethoscope, and Striped Rubber Gloves sold separately.

Ahhhh... I can't wait to hear how much she enjoys her birthday gift. Triops, indeed.

ranger73 6 years, 8 months ago

triops ar very cool-they are like seamonkeys but get BIG. Hobby Lobby sells them. They look like mini horseshoe crabs and get to be about 2" long. Much better than seamonkeys.

Jeezus 6 years, 8 months ago

dad had a pet snake too, but it was just trouble.

Pywacket 6 years, 8 months ago

TOB~ I've had two boa constrictors and several corn snakes. Right now, we just have one corn snake and he's about 9 years old.

Dracul is absolutely right--people should research their snakes before buying one--especially if there are children around. Some types of pythons are very ill tempered--boas, as a rule, have a more reliably gentle temperament. Corn snakes are wonderful for kids--they rarely ever strike.

The only time I've ever had a snake strike at me it was my own fault--I was handling a boa when he was ready to shed. They can't see very well at that time and should be left alone. Not that it hurts much, but there's always danger of infection with puncture wounds.

The main things I would emphasize about having the bigger snakes is to make sure you can contain them and feed them adequately once they attain adult size. Snakes are lazy beasts. They don't roam around for fun or curiosity the way a mammal will. If they are well fed and warm enough, they don't seek to escape. And they certainly don't go looking for infants to devour. Show me a news item about somebody getting attacked by a boa and I'll show you a snake that's underfed or otherwise not well kept.

Jeezus 6 years, 8 months ago

...dad created me a Big-Foot but it evolved.

blue73harley 6 years, 8 months ago

Impaul - did he also have a Camaro? And a Metallica and/or AC/DC T shirt? Just wondering.

lmpaul 6 years, 8 months ago

Uh, I raised a robin once and my children raised a starling. I had a creep once that had a mullet and was a cheater.

Bill Chapman 6 years, 8 months ago

Snakes! Lots of snakes ( I used to a student assistant to Mr. Roth at LHS). Bull, black, grass, ringneck(they are fun!), boa, etc. Had a gecko too. I had a rattlesnake for a house guest for a couple of weeks - it had been run over by a car. I took it the vet, and then home(the vet didn't want it) and cared for it until it was able to eat, then I released it in the woods. Some snakes are not easy to care for, and I do not advise anyone to have one as a pet until they have talked to a vet, read a book about the snake they are considering (many people by boas or pythons because they are big - but fail to consider just HOW big they can get), and last talk to the snake person at the pet store (many pet store employees can help you, but you should ask to talk to the snake "expert" in the store because many employees are just interested in selling you the snake).

coolmom 6 years, 8 months ago

my sister raises squirrels who lose their mamma and a visit to her house is quite exciting. while sitting on the porch in the morning reading the paper and drinking a cup of coffee you were bound to become a spur of the moment squirrel toy and they would run and leap all over you and chew on the paper. on visits i rarely got half way through the paper before retreating.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 8 months ago

Py - What kind of snakes do you have?

coolmom 6 years, 8 months ago

i have 2 iguanas, one is about 2 feet and the other is a little over 5 feet. i also have 3 teenagers and a 9 year old, oh and a hubby i suppose he would count as well.

Pywacket 6 years, 8 months ago

Many years ago, I came out of work one evening and found a coffee can in my locked car with a salamander in it. (I guessed correctly who had left it there--one of a handful of people who knew about the broken hatchback lock that was easy to jimmy.)

"Newt the newt," as he became known, lived in an aquarium in my apartment kitchen for years. He would eat bits of hamburger and other treats from my hand and he loved to swim in the bathroom sink.

I've also had several nonvenomous snakes over the years. They make wonderful pets, as they love to crawl on you (warmth) and are very clean. I have no desire to deal with any venomous creatures--sooner or later, I am sure I would get careless and get bitten. Besides, what good is a snake if you can't let it snuggle around your neck or arm?

I don't do fish tanks any more, but about the same time I had Newt, I also had fish. My favorite was an oscar. If you walked back & forth in front of the aquarium, he would follow you, hoping to be fed. He was another creature that would eat from your hand. The other fish were too wary, but the oscar was bold and demanding--traits I found endearing in a fish, as I had not previously known any fish to be so interactive.

staff04 6 years, 8 months ago

I had an orange-kneed tarantula. She lived for over 15 years--longer than most dogs! Great pet...

aquakej 6 years, 8 months ago

cool question! I have: 2 cats, 6 poison dart frogs, 1 day gecko, 1 leopard gecko, 1 rosy boa, corals, fish, hermit crabs, emerald crab, snails, and shrimp. I have had in the past: gerbils, mice, hamsters, crested geckos, dogs, zebra finches, one tarantula, several jumping spiders, one funnel-web spider, an Australian walking stick, creyfish, anemones, newts, tree frogs, um....what else IS there??

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 8 months ago

No, but I had a roommate in college who wore a spiked collar.

JJE007 6 years, 8 months ago

I've kept a brown recluse spider as a pet. The recluse isn't too unusual, though. There were hundreds more of them outside of the old fish tank. I've also kept tarantulas, scorpions a black widow and a small alien life form known as the Quipp...just seeing if you're paying attention!~)

blue73harley 6 years, 8 months ago

When I was a kid, our beagle caught a baby squirrel. We raised it in the house. Kept it in a bird cage most of the time. We let it go when it was big enough to fend for itself.

My brother and I also used live traps at our farm to see what we could trap. Ground moles and adult possums do not make good pets. Trust me.

jonas 6 years, 8 months ago

Well, there's the gimp, but the gimp's sleeping.