Previous   Next

What was your favorite part of going back to school when you were young?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 29, 2007

Browse the archives

“Opening all of my school supplies was always my favorite, just opening everything that was brand-new.”

“I guess getting to see all my friends again.”

“Getting to go shopping for all the new clothes.”

“Getting all the supplies, and a new lunch box and everything. When I was in second grade, I remember getting an R2-D2 lunch box.”

Related story

Comments

Crossfire 8 years, 1 month ago

Throwing that left over 'hundred pack of Blackcats into the girls restroom.

canyon_wren 8 years, 1 month ago

New school shoes. When I was growing up, you generally had "last year's shoes" for play and some nice ones for church, and then one new pair for school--that was it. In those days, most shoes were leather and had a wonderful smell. The new supplies were great, too--pink erasers, a Big Chief tablet, etc., and I still feel rich when I have school-supply-type stuff around.

sgtwolverine 8 years, 1 month ago

I don't think there was anything I liked about going back to school. I liked getting out of school.

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

Loved the school supplies! Now I love to take my kiddies shopping for their supplies. Nothing like a box of brand new crayons...or whatever.

Back to school clothes shopping for us when we were young was to drive to Rosendale, MO to buy a pair of "shrink to fit" button fly Levi 501s. A gal there named Maggie could fit anybody! I think they were $18 a pair...a veritable fortune back then. On the first day of school we would wear our dark blue, stiff, newly shrunken Levi's. I'd love to have a pair of those now...well, ok...just look like I did in those back then. I'd settle for that. Then, when the jeans were as soft as a puppy dog's ear and ready to split out, it was time for another road trip to see Maggie. Good times!

sunflower_sue 8 years, 1 month ago

RI, The plane did not crash? Authorities did not detain you? When are you taking the spousal unit out for that $800 dinner? :D

jonas 8 years, 1 month ago

i think that it was definitely the part where I left the relative freedom of summer to go back to the lion's den of supervised learning, kids that hated me, boring classes and early morning rises. Yeah, that was the best!

Calliope877 8 years, 1 month ago

I don't remember liking anything about going back to school. I always cried when I heard I had to go back....of course, I went to a crappy school.

acg 8 years, 1 month ago

I didn't care much for the return to school, either. I liked being able to see all of my friends all day long, and free time in between classes and lunch time but other than that I felt it was all a huge waste of my time. And for the most part, it was. I was always ahead of everyone in every class I was ever in and so I would sit there and wait for the morons that couldn't read, comprehend basic information, do relatively easy math or figure out how to properly diagram a sentence en francais and I would get aggravated with them and "create my own entertaiment" as the teachers always put it and then they would kick me out for a few days because of my attitude and because I called the other students morons (because they were morons) and that never bothered me because not having to be there was what I wanted in the first place. Whew, what a run on sentence. Doctor Johnson would have my head for that. ; )

salad 8 years, 1 month ago

acg, you sound like a model candidate for an a$$-whoopin'. Hope you don't run that attitude into the wrong person; the world is a dangerous place ya know.

toefungus 8 years, 1 month ago

I worked during the summer. School was cool, literally.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 1 month ago

Last year's shoes for play? Gee...our feet always grew too fast for that...or so my mother complained. We never had more than one pair of shoes that fit at any one time. I remember having one pair of little buckle shoes, pink, that I absolutely loved when I was in 1st grade...I insisted on cramming my feet into them and painfully wearing them even after they were too small. My mother finally had to throw them away to keep me from ruining my feet. I was mad at her for weeks over that one...:)

As for school...there was nothing I liked about going back to school. Oh, yeah, the new school supplies were great (when we could afford them), but I would gladly have done without them if it had meant I didn't have to go back to school.

mom_of_three 8 years, 1 month ago

Buying the school supplies and getting them ready for school.
And buying a few clothes.
And then it was exciting to find out what teacher you got. We didn't know until the first day of school and you had to check all the room lists to see where you went.

acg 8 years, 1 month ago

Well salad, being as how every idiot that every tried to give me an a** whoopin' has ended up face down in a pile of dirt with bleeding orifices and broken teeth, I'm not the slightest bit concerned. And deary, I'm pushing 40, so I don't need a "world is a dangerous place" lecture from a pup. But thanks, anyway. :)

Sagecasey 8 years, 1 month ago

acg, you are pushing 40 and still acting like the playground bully. 40 for you is only relevant to your physical nature, definitely not your mental nature or maturity level.