Previous   Next

Have you ever been to a demolition derby?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 27, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yeah, a few. I actually won my heat at the derby here in Lawrence back in 1998, I think. I just like bashing up the cars.”

“No I haven’t, but I’ve been to a motorcycle sidecar race in England before. It’s definitely a team sport. They have husband-and-wife teams, but I told my husband not to get any ideas.”

“Yes, at the Douglas County Fair. It’s pretty interesting. They get a lot of old clunkers off the road that way.”

“No. I just have no interest in going, I guess.”

Related story

Comments

johndeerefan52 6 years, 8 months ago

how about the best of BOTH!

A COMBINE demolition derby!!

BOY we know how to have fun in Wisconsin!!

cheer67 6 years, 8 months ago

The ones in McLouth are the best! And they're tractor pulls are fun too. You can't hear for the rest of the night, and you'll get covered in mud, but it's worth it.

Crossfire 6 years, 8 months ago

Roller Derby and Figure "8" Racing. Crash more...cheat less.

Crossfire 6 years, 8 months ago

"No I haven't, but I've been to a mosh pit in Aggieville before. It's definitely a team sport. They have husband-and-wife teams, but I told my wife not to get any ideas."

• Purple Cat, Kansas State University doctoral student, Manhattan, KS

spywell 6 years, 8 months ago

If you enjoy the derbys you'll love fake wrestling, WWW, and trailer park stick ball tournments.

swamp_rat 6 years, 8 months ago

No, but does a tractor pull count? Me and a bunch of friends went and brought our own cooler of brewskies (One person on each end) (Oh,... of the cooler.) Oh, and earlier that day we were selling carpet remnants and base cabinets, and I told my friends "Hey, don't get any ideas about painting houses, cause then we'll have to start shampooing dogs for a living!" But it was too late, they had already started making corn dogs!

indythinker 6 years, 8 months ago

Molly-

You ain't been livin' unless you've been to a derby and ate yer dinner off a paper plate!

juscin3 6 years, 8 months ago

Heck yeah we go. I took my hubby for the first time a few years ago on the count of him being from Salina and he was really impressed with DGCO. BTW, when is the derby?
As for does JOCO count as being a derby...you betcha...I moved to JOCO (and no I'm not a JOCO snob...hehehe) and OMGOSH! It's just as bad as driving in KC! Here pretty soon it will be tied up with KC.

Ceallach 6 years, 8 months ago

It's "Fun in the Sun Day" in Strong Hall!!! All y'all come on over and PARty!!

How many people remember the lines of students in the main hallway of Strong Hall before enrollment online was available? With those huge fans blowing hot air from both ends of the hall? Ugh! Ugh! Ugh! Navigating from one office to the next was very nearly like a demolition derby :) and all those kids (er, ah, young adults) wilting in the heat.

BrianR 6 years, 8 months ago

"Does driving in New York, DC and LA count?"

For sure.

trinity 6 years, 8 months ago

LOL, YESSSSSSSSS it most certainly is friday&also payday!!! mayhaps that is what has put me in such a jovial mood! :) ahhhhh, i can almost hear the tops snappin' off the beer bottles right now...

Ceallach 6 years, 8 months ago

friDAY, FRIday, friday!!!

I am too old to have received the benefit of parent's knowing about ADD :( Therefore, I had to learn to sit still, speak when spoken to, and save my sass for future online posting.

payDAY, PAYday, payday!!! friDAY, FRIday, friday!!! parTY, PARty, party!!!

now I must return to the Cannabis article for endoctrination, er, I mean, education . . or the Miller article for exasperation . . so much to do, so little time

trinity 6 years, 8 months ago

i don't know that i have EVER laughed so hard&so much at comments on this paper as i have today! and more than one thread!!!! y'all are truly in RARE form today, wowzer, i LOVE it! :)

jonas 6 years, 8 months ago

No, I haven't. I don't like paying cover charges, so I generally just go to Farmer's Markets and hope for that one old dude to go bashing through stalls and carts in his Buick Century. To date, I haven't managed to be in the right place at the right time, but I plan on bringing a cat with me next time, so maybe I'll have better luck.

Pywacket 6 years, 8 months ago

Yes, but what was more interesting was that one time? at band camp? I watched a battle of the sousaphones and it was really muddy and they were blowing mud and spit at everyone and I told my boyfriend, "Don't get any ideas," but it was too late, 'cuz he was, like, already pulling out his piccolo, and just as he held it up to my lips my friend Tiffany ran up and said, "Ohmygawd, you guys, come and see the inner-tube-tuba battle on the dock!" and she ran off and I made my boyfriend put his piccolo away and the tube-tuba battle was just, like, the craziest thing I ever saw--I mean, that must be how it was like to watch those lions eating the Christians in ancient Romania? or wherever it was? only the tubes were the lions, ya know? 'cuz they could just bounce into the tubas and knock them off the docks and--oh, hey, does anybody know where I can get a funnel cake?

Tony Kisner 6 years, 8 months ago

I didn't read the related article, is this about the college kids coming back? AKA unsanctioned event - R_I

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 8 months ago

I prefer to distinguish ADD as attention abundance disorder. Everything is just so interesting . . . remarkably at the same time.

blue73harley 6 years, 8 months ago

I certainly hope someone has warned all the demo drivers NOT to participate if they find a cat sleeping on their car before the event. This should be discussed in the drivers meeting.

Ceallach 6 years, 8 months ago

So, JJE, it's a GOOD thing that I won't go, right? I feel much better knowing that I am not going because I'm too prissy (accusation from my family:), but in actuality, I am refusing to be a part of something so sinister that it is likened unto wild animals killing and devouring people.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 8 months ago

Grace reminds me of Grandpa Simpson. The rest of you all are pure comedy.

Never been to a smash'm up derby. Never seemed overly interesting to me.

JJE007 6 years, 8 months ago

Demolition derbies cause global warming, toxic oil spills, noise pollution, mudslinging, fun pollution and cats sleeping with cars. They are absolutely demonic...and a are a poor substitute for Christians and lions. Get real!~)

Ceallach 6 years, 8 months ago

Actually, I did attend one. My husband loved those darned things!! Passed the gene on to my children. So I reluctantly went with them during the DC fair one rainy August. It would have been one of Impaul's favorites since I came home covered with mud and unable to hear for 48 hours. So for me it was a once in a lifetime experience :)

Ceallach 6 years, 8 months ago

No I haven't, but I have planted a butterfly garden. I told my husband not to get any ideas about mowing over it. Oh, I'm sorry, what was the question?

sunflower_sue 6 years, 8 months ago

No. But I've been to a BBQ cookoff once. Those BBQ people really take their BBQ seriously. They have all these big smoking ovens and my hubby was really oggling them, but I told him to not get any ideas. I tried some of the BBQ. It was delicious. I think they used lots of brown sugar. Or maybe it was vinegar. It was along time ago. I don't remember.

lmpaul 6 years, 8 months ago

The derby's at it's best when there's been a really long, slow rain. So much mud to sling into the audience. Woo-hoo! Ya all go get 'em!

mom_of_three 6 years, 8 months ago

no, but I can hear it from my house. My husband and kids went last year.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 8 months ago

BABBOY, Same thought popped into my mind about Grace's comment.

Bobbi Reid 6 years, 8 months ago

Yep, we go every year to the one here. Also to the ones in McLouth and Tonganoxie.

BABBOY 6 years, 8 months ago

Never have been. Would like to. Friends say it is fun. Grace has ADD which I have so motorcycle comment does not bother me. Driving in New York definitely gives the impression of demolotation derby and is a battle of space on Manhattan Island. LA does not because you most just set there and smell the car in front of you and when it moves it just a busy interstate. Never been to DC.

I think Garnett has a demoloation derby every fall. Not sure. Anyway...........

Dixie Jones 6 years, 8 months ago

hitme i was thinkin jo co........

hitme 6 years, 8 months ago

Does driving in New York, DC and LA count?

blue73harley 6 years, 8 months ago

Of course.

And Sgt.and Trinity, I was thinking the same thing. I suspect conversations with Grace must go off on some pretty wild tangents.

trinity 6 years, 8 months ago

lol, uh, sgt-i think not. at least i had a heckuva time trying to make a connection!

i think everybody oughta drive in a derby at least once; more fun than a person oughta be allowed to have! :)

sgtwolverine 6 years, 8 months ago

Oh yeah. I go every year. I wouldn't miss it.

Are demolition derbies and motorcycle sidecar races really comparable? At all?

trinity 6 years, 8 months ago

oops just answered this on the feature story comment section! YES i have and YES it is a total blast! :)