Previous   Next

What’s your favorite way to eat Spam?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 25, 2007

Browse the archives

“What you’ve got to do is wrap it in bacon, deep fry it in beer batter with a dash of Cavender’s seasoning and serve it with ranch. Use parsley to garnish, maybe some lemon, and a Diet Coke to drink.”

“Unfortunately, I’ve never eaten Spam. I’ve always thought of it as more of a novelty item than a food.”

“Sliced and fried on a sandwich.”

“The only time I’ve ever had Spam, it was cooked Korean style and was very spicy. I didn’t really care for it.”

Related story

Comments

jonas 7 years, 5 months ago

Force if off on someone else, I guess. Never touched the stuff, myself.

average 7 years, 5 months ago

On a well-paying dare. It'd have to be a whole lot better paying dare now that I've tried it once.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 5 months ago

My favorite way to eat Spam is not to eat it.

Although Chetan had me intrigued until he threw in the Diet Coke. That's a deal-breaker for me.

purplesage 7 years, 5 months ago

I've only had it a couple of times junior high cafeteria. The old mystery meat can't be that bad; the GI's who won the war in Europe ate it. They were tough guys.

acg 7 years, 5 months ago

If I were starving to death, I may eat spam. I hear if you fry it it's not too awful. Other than starving to death, it wouldn't happen. That stuff is just nasty.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 5 months ago

when writing SPAMku use your imagination not experience

SPAM...truly heaven where you go when you are dead communion with pigs * I don't like Spam, but I like Spamku. Both leave a bad taste in my mouth, though. Scrapple...now THAT is good.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 5 months ago

I actually like Spam...but then, I also like liver, oatmeal, broccoli, cauliflower, and spinach...I have since I was a kid.

Fry it up and put it in a sandwich with Miracle Whip...lettuce...tomato...:)

Crossfire 7 years, 5 months ago

Spam Soup 1- can of Spam 1-lb carrots 2-lb potatoes 1-yellow onion 1-bottle Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey

Chop the Spam into bite size pieces. Marinate the Spam in JD. Chop the carrots potatoes and onion. Boil the carrots potatoes and onion. Drink some of the whiskey. When the carrots potatoes and onion are tender add the spam and set aside. Drink some more of the whiskey. Call some friends to share the soup. Go get some beer to go with the whiskey. Make sure friends bring wine and guitars. Enjoy "weed, wine and song"... In the morning hug all your friends goodbye. Take the Spam Soup to the back yard and feed it to the neighbors dog. ...don't like the neighbor and the Spam Soup will give Rottie really bad gas. Have a good day.

Kat Christian 7 years, 5 months ago

Oooooooooooooooo me love SPAM.
slice it - soak it in pineapple juice roll it in egg then in seasoned bread crumbs and fry it. serve it with velvetta mac&cheese and green beans Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm me yum-yum like

I even have SPAM ear rings. Yep I do!!

Kat Christian 7 years, 5 months ago

Informed I Love Scrapple - where do you get it out here? I'm from the East too.

H_Lecter 7 years, 5 months ago

Under the bridge, with a bottle of cheap wine.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 5 months ago

The term "novelty item" covers a lot of territory. I'd like to hear more about that.

Ceallach 7 years, 5 months ago

I like mine with lettuce and tomatoes, Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes . . . no wait, that's my cheeseburgers . . .

Never tasted it, with a little luck I never will.

It's Wednesday, only half way through this week :( I know . . . let's all go to the Cheeseburger in Paradise at the Legends!!!!! If I could do that I just MIGHT make it through this week :):)

BorderRat 7 years, 5 months ago

Sliced and baked in with Mac & Cheese or diced up with eggs.

acg 7 years, 5 months ago

If ya'll go to Cheeseburger, sit at the bar. The chick who tends is my bestest friend. Tell her I said to give you mucho mohitos. She makes a great blueberry mohito.

Aileen Dingus 7 years, 5 months ago

I think Dillon's might carry frozen bricks o' scrapple- let me know if you have success there. Yum.

When I was young, my dad traveled for his job, and my mom used to make Spam "ham" with mustard and brown sugar glaze for the two of us. Tasty stuff.

However, I agree with whoever wrote about eating Spam in Hawaii. mmm... Spam musubi. :)

Ceallach 7 years, 5 months ago

acg, how could we truly "party" without you?????

Chrissy Neibarger 7 years, 5 months ago

I don't eat spam, but when the dog food scare was going on, My doggie had spam treats! HE loved the stuff.

coolmom 7 years, 5 months ago

okay never had spam and havent a clue what scrapple is? someone want to clue me in on the contents? that said i would eat either one in Hawaii or after a bottle of jack lol.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 5 months ago

coolmom, interesting you would mention Hawaii. It seems that people in Hawaii eat more Spam per person than any other state in the Union.

Aileen Dingus 7 years, 5 months ago

Usually the ickier parts of the pig (ie: scraps), mushed up cooked down with corn meal and made into loaf form. Good with ketchup or syrup!

Dang. Now I want scrapple.

auturgy 7 years, 5 months ago

Just the fact that they call it 'scrapple' makes me not want to eat it. Kind of like Spangles. Or Spam. What's with all the aliteration?!

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 5 months ago

I like spam accompanied with raw hagus aged a few weeks in the hot Kansas sun. In comparison, it's quite good.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 5 months ago

Das - Glad there's at least one MP reference in regards to a thread about Spam!

adriennerm 7 years, 5 months ago

I had spam when I went to an I-Hop along I-4 in Orlando, FL. I order ham and egges and got spam and eggs. I didn't know it was Spam b/c I never had it before. All I knew was this ham tasted spoiled and gross. My cousin tasted the ham to so what the problem was. Then she yelled this isn't ham it's spam.

I was P O/ed. They refunded my meal and offered no explanation. Then someone else was yelling to the staff about the same issue.

aquakej 7 years, 5 months ago

I think they eat lots of Spam in Hawaii because they don't get a lot of fresh meat there. They don't raise many cows there, and it's expensive to ship meat in. I've had $12 burgers in Hawaii that tasted like cardboard. Really, they're so bad that I'd never gamble on one again.
I guess they think of Spam as a reasonable substitute for real meat. Me, personally, I'd rather starve. :)

Flap Doodle 7 years, 5 months ago

There are substantial ranching operations in Hawaii. http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2007/07/09/daily55.html

Folk lore says that Hawaiians got hooked on Spam during WW II when it was one of the few widely available meats.

Your mileage may vary.

canyon_wren 7 years, 5 months ago

I can't believe I used to like Spam. It either has changed, or my taste buds have. We used to like it floured and fried, and I even asked for it one time for a last meal at home before leaving for college. I tried fixing some about a year or so and couldn't choke down one whole slice. Too bad! But it is certainly not the most economical meat choice, so I can't imagine how they can sell enough to keep going!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 5 months ago

I like my SPAM carved into the shape of a lamb. (Had to put that out there for all the MAS*H junkies.)

Truly, Hawaii has the crapiest meat! Beef does not taste like it came from a cow at all. (And you pay through the nose for it.) I suggest taking vacuum-packed meat in your suitcase. (No kidding!) I did see a lot of SPAM in the grocery stores and saw it on several menus. I didn't venture there. I suppose if I were going to eat SPAM, I would eat it fried, on white bread, and with plain yellow mustard. Why try to dress it up?

George_Braziller 7 years, 5 months ago

Ick.

Spam is almost a bad as "Baloney Boats" that we had at the cafeteria in junior high school. Imagine a slice of baloney in a muffin tin with an ice cream scoop of instant mashed potatoes in the middle, greasy USDA commodity public school grade cheese grated on top, and the entire lot popped into the oven to "cook." When it came out it was browned but all the grease was pooled under the potatoes. The worst part was that they didn't even take the red plastic covering off the baloney before they put it in the oven so you had to peel the melted plastic and part of the rim of the "boat" off first before you could attempt to eat it.

The memory still makes my lower intenstines cramp.

countryman1 7 years, 5 months ago

I love spam, but I will only eat it if it is sliced very thin and fried crispy. I like it with rice and hot peppers, along with macaroni and cheese, some soft dinner rolls, and a large glass of sweet tea.

torinmia 7 years, 5 months ago

so i'm not kidding, but fried spam with cheez whiz on a sandwich is pretty tasty. all hail the midwest!!