Previous   Next

Do you have a passport?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 23, 2007

Browse the archives

“No. I only travel to Canada, and until recently you didn’t need one. I’ve never traveled abroad, although I would like to.”

“Yes. I’m an international student, so I’m traveling all the time - at least twice a year.”

“No, I don’t. I haven’t had the opportunity to travel abroad. As soon as I find a couple grand lying around, I’m there.”

“Yes, I have one. I got one so that I could travel to my homeland.”

Comments

bobberboy 6 years, 8 months ago

If you choose B then you are correct.

bobberboy 6 years, 8 months ago

Which of the above pictures has a person with a creepy smirk ? A. B. C. D.

Dayna Lee 6 years, 9 months ago

No. And no you can not use it anywhere like you think you can. People from Kansas want a Kansas ID or better yet a DL that does not have the corner clipped because you got a DUI.

coolmom 6 years, 9 months ago

yes got it for a trip to berlin and england a couple of years ago and used it this yearon a cruise to mexico. the hubby gets to travel some for his job but i dont expect to do much. still it was pretty neat.

coneflower 6 years, 9 months ago

Gee, with passports costing almost a hundred dollars, and suddenly being required to travel to Mexico and Canada, you'd think the government was afraid of lots of people leaving suddenly for some reason, or something.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 9 months ago

Wild blackberries, sue? Not store-bought? :-P

I'm off to Pennsylvania tomorrow morning!

Pywacket 6 years, 9 months ago

For now: wild blackberry pie a la mode with frosted pecan brownie chaser? (bonus for home-made ice cream)

For breakfast: blackberry chocolate chip pancakes with blackberry syrup?

That's what I would do!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 9 months ago

No passport. Never been anywhere! Maybe someday...

Dark chocolate sounds great, but the hubby just brought me 3 gallons of wild blackberries. What's a girl to do?

sgtwolverine 6 years, 9 months ago

Py, I'm definitely with you on the dark chocolate idea. It makes for a great getaway.

Ceallach 6 years, 9 months ago

Indeed it is Py! Better hurry and visit while ms_c still has her "cottage" on the lake. (Read cottage as really nice lake house :)

Bubarubu: Thanks for the info, just another thing about which I had no idea :) I will follow-up on that tomorrow.

Pywacket 6 years, 9 months ago

You fall to your knees and beg shelter from Ms Canada, of course. Maybe she would let us hide in her basement and do odd jobs for her until our fake Canadian citizenship papers came through. Worth a try, eh?

Linda Endicott 6 years, 9 months ago

It brings up lots of interesting questions for sure...

If you can't return to the U.S. from Canada without a passport, and Canada won't let you stay if you're not a citizen, where will they put you?

Pywacket 6 years, 9 months ago

I just buy a big ol' bar of dark chocolate whenever I need a passport to bliss.

I haven't needed that other kind of passport in a long time, and let the thing expire. Last out-of-continental-US travel I took was to USVI, so I didn't need to renew for that. I had no idea they'd gotten so expensive. Guess I should get one again. I'd like to go to Florence one of these days.. and back to the UK...

I'm very interested in the notion of driving to Canada, then not being allowed to return. That's a temptation, for sure.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 9 months ago

"Get a new team in there and I bet we'll see improvement."

You've had a new team for seven months......don't think they're doing so hot. You must not follow the news.

Bubarubu 6 years, 9 months ago

Ceallach sez: "Let mine expire (not intentionally) so now I have to go the whole schmeer."

Not necessarily. If your expired passport was issued less than 15 years ago, when you were over 16, and is not damaged, you can simply renew rather than reapply. If your name has changed, you just need to send in legal documentation with the old passport, the application, new photos, and the $67 renewal fee. The old passport gets returned to you with the new one, and the application form is available online. Renewing saves the $30 "execution fee" that gets charged to new passports. All info on renewing available here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/renew/renew_833.html

Azure_Attitude 6 years, 9 months ago

When you have cronies running the show you can expect things like this. Get a new team in there and I bet we'll see improvement. Bush and Co can't manage their way out of a paper sack.

Rationalanimal 6 years, 9 months ago

And liberals believe the government, who can't do something as simple as hand out passports or provide vets with medicare can create and run a massive universal health care system. Now that's fresh dairy air.

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 9 months ago

For me, the passport has not been an issue. Now, getting a visa so that I can enter New Jersey... that's been difficult.

4th_grade_education 6 years, 9 months ago

I didn't know you needed a passport to travel to Kansas City, MO.

feeble 6 years, 9 months ago

Just submitted my third renewal into the system in May, I hope to get it back by late September (no joke!).

Passport fees run about $90 currently. If you get your photo's taken at the Passport Office/Post office, that's an extra 30-40 (do it at Walgreen's to save some cash). Having it expedited doubles the initial fee.

Most places require an appointment these days (you might get lucky and be able to just walk in, if the lobby is totally empty.) Get the paperwork of the State Dept's website ahead of time and you can be in and out in under 15 minutes. If you have to fill out forms there, it's an easy 40 minutes.

KUindentured_servant 6 years, 9 months ago

I have one, although it's been a few years since I used it when I went to Australia. Oh how I would love to fill those pages...but it will be a while before that happens again.

Ceallach 6 years, 9 months ago

Let mine expire (not intentionally) so now I have to go the whole schmeer. Last fall when I visited ms_canada, I forgot to pack my birth certificate. Going into CAN I apologized and ask if it was a problem . . no problem leaving the USA and going into CAN . . but the kicker was I couldn't return until I had the thing sent to me by Fed Ex. Looking back, maybe I should have stayed a while longer (ms_canada is a terrific hostess:):)

Linda Endicott 6 years, 9 months ago

I think Nicegirl was making a funny about all the illegal aliens that just walk across the border from Mexico into the U.S., and none of them have passports...:)

I don't have one. Probably not much use for one. I'll never have the money to travel to other countries, anyway...

tir 6 years, 9 months ago

My current one will be up for renewal in a year or two, and I am SO not looking forward to that. Quite apart from the long wait, the new passports also cost more because they have a chip in them with your personal info on it. The chip is not exactly secure. It can be read at some distance away if someone has the right equipment. Such as ID thieves trolling for new victims at the airport.

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 9 months ago

As I understand the laws, nicegirl, you DO need a passport if travelling to Mexico by air or water, but you DO NOT (yet) need a passport if travelling by car or walking (legally) over the border. By next year, 2008, all travel outside the US, by any means will require a passport. Of course, right now, they've backpedaled a bit to help handle the overflow of passport applications.

nicegirl 6 years, 9 months ago

No, I dont have one. Do you need a passport to go to Mexico? (I know one is not needed if leaving Mexico :))

Azure_Attitude 6 years, 9 months ago

Glad you think were terrific, RT, though I can't reciprocate, you lame-oid schmuck

Azure_Attitude 6 years, 9 months ago

Nope. I should have gotten one back when my sociology professor handed out passport applicatiions to everyone in class and encouraged us to visit other countries. I think the fee was $90 back then so I am sure it's well over $100 by now.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 9 months ago

I wouldn't get the Passport. The Isuzu Rodeo is less expensive. The only difference is the badge.

ms_canada 6 years, 9 months ago

Yup - going to us it this coming Friday when I cross into Montana. Canadians need to renew their passports every 5 years and not simply renew but go through the whole schmeer all over again. It's a lot of bother but I guess it is for our own protection. Don't want no sneaky yanks coming up here and getting one of our highly prized passaportes. :o)

beatrice 6 years, 9 months ago

Yes, and the last place visited was Brazil.

rt, why don't you go hunting with Cheney or something. Your hatred of America simply doesn't stop.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 9 months ago

"I'm curious where you'd go."- Average

MX mostly, I like their in-your-face, brazen corruption----better than the US brand of pansy-a$$ corruption. Once to Scotland too.

mom_of_three 6 years, 9 months ago

nope, not yet. but if hubby has his way, I might need one in a few years, in time for my 20th anniversary. but since I am afraid to fly, that limits my choice of destinations. he thinks if he picks a good place, my fear will go away.

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 9 months ago

Yup. And it's oft-used. Next time I renew, I think I'm going to opt for the one with more pages so that I don't have to replace it or get extra pages so often.

average 6 years, 9 months ago

right_thinker -

I'm curious where you'd go. Putin's Russia seems like the only place that might be right-wing enough for you. Harper's Conservatives in Canada, Kadima in Israel, Labour in the UK, John Howard in Australia? They're all largely to the left of the US Democratic Party, let alone yourself.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 9 months ago

yes and no have one but it is way old and no good anymore oh well no traviling for me.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 9 months ago

Yes, a heavily used one----everyone should have one----in case the Al Qaeda and the Democratic Party finally (and officially) merge into one party.

You guys are terrific!

Thanks for giving the only the utmost of thoughtful consideration to my post.

juscin3 6 years, 9 months ago

LOL blue....

I don't have one. Although, IF the hubby takes me on a cruise, I will get one then. Does it even cost to get one? I don't know much about them. From what I understand you have your pic and basic information...is there anything else?

It looks like it would be frustrating not to have your passport when security is tight now days...go figure...I think if traveling, making plans on where you wanna go, getting ready and so forth, it won't be easy...something or someone is always there to manage to mess things up for ya! Am I the only one that notices that?

Something to ponder on for the day...Have a good one!

blue73harley 6 years, 9 months ago

I visited Tonganoxie once but I don't think a passport was required. Maybe it should have been.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

I sure hope so. If I don't, then I don't think y'all will hear from me for a long, long time.

Yep, still here. That's a relief.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 9 months ago

Awesome. They got a Michigan answer. If they hadn't found Cyndi, I would have said something about traveling to Canada.

Oh, and I do have one. It was handy when I visited my brother in England a few years ago.