Previous   Next

What type of pet do you like most?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 22, 2007

Browse the archives

“Cats, because they’re fun-loving animals. They’re really loyal to their owners.”

“I have a Lab that I really like. I’ve had a dog since I was a kid, so I guess I have an affinity for them.”

“I like small dogs, preferably ones that don’t bark. I live in a condominium, so I can’t have a pet that takes up that much room.”

“Basset hounds. They’re really sweet dogs. They’re cute and really loyal.”

Comments

Agnostick 6 years, 9 months ago

Don't you mean, "before you and 'singlecandle' fell down on the job?"

Luna was taken into custody on 10/22/05. Luna was euthenized on 7/23/07. That's 21 months... 1.75 years of "sheltered living."

How long does the average stray, picked up on the street, get in the shelter, before it's "put down?"

What about other animals?

21 months of squandered opportunities...

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com http://www.uscentrist.org

Marion Lynn 6 years, 9 months ago

Even CNN gets it; too bad Emperor McGrath and Darth Little didn't before they had Luna killed:

Story Highlights:

Pit bulls were once American icons!

Pit bull dogs once seen as friendly, helpful animals

Starred as character in "Little Rascals"

Michael Vick case latest to show dogs as vicious

Rappers show pit bulls as mean on albums

bobberboy 6 years, 9 months ago

I love dogs the most. If it's a cat it has to be a Maine coon.

Linda Endicott 6 years, 9 months ago

I have had dogs, cats, hamsters, and even chameleons for pets, but my very favorite are cats.

Everyone seems to think they own cats, but they don't. The cats just deign to let the people live in their house.

The only bad thing about having pets is that eventually they will die, and that is a big emotional upheaval for me. I vowed once that I would never have another pet, right after a cat died, but here I am...have another cat, and now he's 8.

I caution against getting another dog right away, Coolmom. Give yourself some time to grieve first, and don't do it until you're ready. When you are, the shelter pets are the best ones.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 9 months ago

Nick, take your attempted threadjack & rotate on it.

Agnostick 6 years, 9 months ago

Marion, go choke on a dead baby fetus.

Better yet, go choke on a euthenized doggie carcass.

This whole drama with "Luna" began almost two years ago. Here's the proof:

"Marion"... "Doggielover"... "Count Presa Canario"... whatever batsh*t name you choose for today, let's be clear about one thing:

The "guilt" for this dog being put down is equally shared between you... "singlecandle"... Little... McGrath... and whoever else your twisted little mind can bring into it. Anyone who chooses to read through that thread will see that while there was a lot of the usual "forum bickering," going on, there were also some helpful suggestions.

Luna could've been given to another adopting family.

"Singlecandle," when done mooning for the muckrakers at KCTV, could've put together stronger fencing, a stronger enclosure, asked for help. If you whackjobs had spent 10% of the time you've devoted to all these media shenanigans and online shenanigans--if you'd devoted 10% of that time to taking alternative steps to get Luna out of the shelter, the dog would still be alive.

But no, there were bigger pots of trouble to stir up...

All this time wasted on all this other crap, while "poor Luna" was getting three squares a day and a roof over her head (and rudimentary veterinary care, no doubt) from the nice folks at the Humane Society.

"Offshore website?" Give me a friggin' break. The only thing you're gonna do is sit around on these forums and bitch & moan. SSDD.

Take some responsibility for you and "singlecandle's" inaction on this.

Agnostick agnostick@excite.com http://www.uscentrist.org

Marion Lynn 6 years, 9 months ago

Well, I suppose that I should be the one to annunce this.

The heartless bureaucrat Jerry Little and the megalomanical "Judge" Randy McGrath have prevailed in their effort to kill Enforcer's Dog.

I want you all to remember that this animal was a FOUR MONTH OLD puppy at the time that the "Respected" Jurist McGrath declared the dog to be "vicious"; this after the dog had only jumped a fence, had bitten no one and had not threatened anyone.

This dog was killed by the City of Lawrence, Kansas because it falls into the breed range which is termed a "pit bull"..

I have "before" and "after" photos of the Luna; the "before" showing her giving affection to Enforcer and the "after" showing Luna lying on the table deader than a rock.

I further intend to have a webiste hosted offshore, beyond the jurisdiction of US courts on which will be included the entire story of the tragic matter, photographs of all concerned, including Jerry Little, "Judge" Randy McGrath, all City Commissioners and others who allowed this travesty of justice to occur as well such other information as the webmaster may deem appropriate.

Gootsie 6 years, 9 months ago

The kind that cooks and mows. And knows when I want to be scratched behind my ear...

KUindentured_servant 6 years, 9 months ago

My family has always had several pets at a time. When I was a baby and we lived in San Diego, we had an iguana that roamed the apartment catching flies (name Outfielder, of course). Then for a while, we only had cockateils. We had several of these birds, and they all had human tendencies. They would sit on your shoulder and talk to you, eat off your plate, etc. My parents have always had at least one cockateil (they have two now, which have been around for 10 years or so) with the exception of a few years after a devastating incident involving my dad, a vacuum, and the most favorite bird. Then came the first dog, a black lab/german shepherd mix, and my best friend for years. Then all of us kids got gerbils. Only one round of gerbils though, they proved hard to take care of for us kids. Then we adopted a few rogue stray cats with loads of personality, then a few more dogs that others were giving away (we got into the habit of saving animals no one else wanted), then the one rare pet that we actually bought, a chihuahua. After moving away from home, I always missed the pets and whenever I came home I either didn't want to leave them (screw the people in the family, as if) or wanted to smuggle them away.

Last year, I got my very own first pet that my live-in boyfriend and I share. We searched and searched for the right dog on petfinder.com until we finally found the perfect little pup in a shelter in Ottowa, a beagle/basset hound mix. She has taken over our lives and I wouldn't have it any other way. She has special barks for different things that she wants or needs. She insists on sleeping in the bed between us, and she even tucks herself in.

I like all pets, but I guess right now, I'm would have to say dogs!

topcity 6 years, 9 months ago

Dogs,American bulldogs actually

mom_of_three 6 years, 9 months ago

Pets I like most - horses, dogs, cats in that order.

coolmom 6 years, 9 months ago

the iguanas are cool as i take them to schools etc and try and educate people on their care and how expensive they can be and how much casual care can damage them. both are rescues and one is over 5 feet long and missing an eye but has a great personality and the other is a small male with agression issues that we have put a lot of time into. i will find another dog at the pound i just need some time and since we are in the middle of adopting a teen it should wait. it just feels wrong without a canine friend.

JJE007 6 years, 9 months ago

While I've only spent a few months in the last half century not living with another mammal, I still recognize it as a PIA and profess that I'm going to extricate myself from such a situation. Cold blooded pets are mostly good for decoration and usually not worth the effort required to keep them healthy. I needs me some LOVE from a mammal that shares my abode, or some adorable behavior that I can pretend is loving!~)

acg 6 years, 9 months ago

I'm not a pet person anymore. My doggy died in October 06 and my cat ran off in March of this year and I have no desire to have anymore pets at all. Kids are enough mess, expense and aggravation. Who wants to add a slobbering little furball into that mix?

Marion Lynn 6 years, 9 months ago

coolmom:

Yep, I understand and a couple of the Children are at that age.

Go to the shelter and find the animal who comes to you.

The hubby will understand.

coolmom 6 years, 9 months ago

iguanas, dogs, the kids and the hubby. of them all i tend to lean toward the dog although my good friend of many years was recently put to sleep and i havent had the heart to get another yet so i guess right now its usually the hubby.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 9 months ago

I've always thought having a pet puff adder would be kinda cool.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 9 months ago

Well, I do not view the Doggie Children as pets but rather as companions.

I prefer wolf dogs as they are smarter than the smartest dog you have ever seen.

They are NOT good guard dogs as they are smart enough to run away from threats so I use dogs of lower wolf percentage for that purpose.

Cats are fine but I cannot have any as the kids see no difference between cats and bunnies so the life expectancy of intrusive cats is around three quick steps and a chomp.

The Doggie Children do a fine job of eliminating feral cats though.

trollkiller 6 years, 9 months ago

Hard to believe they let Harry Potter burn to death. What a horrible thing for children to suffer though and end the story!!! (Just kidding)

nveyt_truong 6 years, 9 months ago

pet in gravy I prefer dog over cat either one is good in crock pot

Calliope877 6 years, 9 months ago

Rats! They're cute, quiet, affectionate, and clean.

Ceallach 6 years, 9 months ago

Cats and/or dogs. I have fish but do not consider them pets.

Although I did see a cute license plate holder yesterday, it read, "All men are animals, but some make great pets." :-P

sundancewierdo 6 years, 9 months ago

we have a pac-man frog named Godzilla. he eats mice once a month and we don't have to pick up his poop or walk him. he only asks that we water him often

Grammaton 6 years, 9 months ago

Cats, for sure.

I love how, when I'm trying to play with my cat and speaking in a funny voice, he sits and looks at me with an expression of, "Look at yourself. You're an idiot. I'm not playing with /you/. scoff " Such personality. And he "talks" to me. He'll use certain meows for certain things, sometimes combining them for other meanings.

monkfellow 6 years, 9 months ago

Chia Pet.I like that! All those who have actually bought one of those on December 24 as a last minute Christmas gift, raise your hands..this IS an anonymous site. Alright, your sins are forgiven! Cats! Our first cat, Charlie adopted us in 1983 and he was joined by Patrick in 1984. Charlie and his sibs were left in a dumpster outside the vet's office,and the vet assured us the guy would likely die in about a month and a half. We insisted he wouldn't and Charlie made it to 18. Patrick was likely older than estimated, and he probably was the same age when he died, a couple years before Charlie. We all grew older together,and I marveled at how "human-like" they became, in adapting to our odd hours, changes with a kid growing up and going to college,moving away. In the final months, our son was home for a visit,and he and Charlie were together as if time had stood still. Finally,the end came when Charlie "stroked out" and had lost it. I was alone at home at the time, so I had to take him to the vet. The vet turned his face away, but I got to hold him and stroke him as he inserted the euthanasia medication.

We have a guy here who was a semi-kitten when he adopted us, and he has his quirks. He is a fabulous fellow, though. I have experienced and learned much with cats in my midst.We didn't have any animals in the house when I grew up,and my wife did at her home in the country. I love other people's dogs, but I will take my cats any day.

Sigmund 6 years, 9 months ago

The kind that are left at home when their owners go to downtown sidewalks, bars, and cafes (seeing eye dogs excepted).

Flap Doodle 6 years, 9 months ago

The type that can make coffee.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 9 months ago

Stuffed.

If I had to choose, I'd probably say cats, too. I'm just not an indoor pet person.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

Have fun! Made my evening, at least.

No, I don't know why the last one has japanese school kids singing over it.

jonas 6 years, 9 months ago

Since I can't have a dragon, I'll go with cats. They're soft, cute, cuddly, and bizarre. Can't get any better than that.

Dogs are fun, but too programmable, in my opinion. I'd still like one at some point, though.

Gonna find some funny cat videos. Be right back.