Previous   Next

What type of pet do you like most?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 22, 2007

Browse the archives

“Cats, because they’re fun-loving animals. They’re really loyal to their owners.”

“I have a Lab that I really like. I’ve had a dog since I was a kid, so I guess I have an affinity for them.”

“I like small dogs, preferably ones that don’t bark. I live in a condominium, so I can’t have a pet that takes up that much room.”

“Basset hounds. They’re really sweet dogs. They’re cute and really loyal.”

Comments

jonas 7 years, 9 months ago

Since I can't have a dragon, I'll go with cats. They're soft, cute, cuddly, and bizarre. Can't get any better than that.

Dogs are fun, but too programmable, in my opinion. I'd still like one at some point, though.

Gonna find some funny cat videos. Be right back.

jonas 7 years, 9 months ago

Have fun! Made my evening, at least.

No, I don't know why the last one has japanese school kids singing over it.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

Stuffed.

If I had to choose, I'd probably say cats, too. I'm just not an indoor pet person.

Sigmund 7 years, 9 months ago

The kind that are left at home when their owners go to downtown sidewalks, bars, and cafes (seeing eye dogs excepted).

Michael Throop 7 years, 9 months ago

Chia Pet.I like that! All those who have actually bought one of those on December 24 as a last minute Christmas gift, raise your hands..this IS an anonymous site. Alright, your sins are forgiven! Cats! Our first cat, Charlie adopted us in 1983 and he was joined by Patrick in 1984. Charlie and his sibs were left in a dumpster outside the vet's office,and the vet assured us the guy would likely die in about a month and a half. We insisted he wouldn't and Charlie made it to 18. Patrick was likely older than estimated, and he probably was the same age when he died, a couple years before Charlie. We all grew older together,and I marveled at how "human-like" they became, in adapting to our odd hours, changes with a kid growing up and going to college,moving away. In the final months, our son was home for a visit,and he and Charlie were together as if time had stood still. Finally,the end came when Charlie "stroked out" and had lost it. I was alone at home at the time, so I had to take him to the vet. The vet turned his face away, but I got to hold him and stroke him as he inserted the euthanasia medication.

We have a guy here who was a semi-kitten when he adopted us, and he has his quirks. He is a fabulous fellow, though. I have experienced and learned much with cats in my midst.We didn't have any animals in the house when I grew up,and my wife did at her home in the country. I love other people's dogs, but I will take my cats any day.

Grammaton 7 years, 9 months ago

Cats, for sure.

I love how, when I'm trying to play with my cat and speaking in a funny voice, he sits and looks at me with an expression of, "Look at yourself. You're an idiot. I'm not playing with /you/. scoff " Such personality. And he "talks" to me. He'll use certain meows for certain things, sometimes combining them for other meanings.

Mandie Eutsler 7 years, 9 months ago

we have a pac-man frog named Godzilla. he eats mice once a month and we don't have to pick up his poop or walk him. he only asks that we water him often

Ceallach 7 years, 9 months ago

Cats and/or dogs. I have fish but do not consider them pets.

Although I did see a cute license plate holder yesterday, it read, "All men are animals, but some make great pets." :-P

Calliope877 7 years, 9 months ago

Rats! They're cute, quiet, affectionate, and clean.

trollkiller 7 years, 9 months ago

Hard to believe they let Harry Potter burn to death. What a horrible thing for children to suffer though and end the story!!! (Just kidding)

coolmom 7 years, 9 months ago

iguanas, dogs, the kids and the hubby. of them all i tend to lean toward the dog although my good friend of many years was recently put to sleep and i havent had the heart to get another yet so i guess right now its usually the hubby.

acg 7 years, 9 months ago

I'm not a pet person anymore. My doggy died in October 06 and my cat ran off in March of this year and I have no desire to have anymore pets at all. Kids are enough mess, expense and aggravation. Who wants to add a slobbering little furball into that mix?

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 9 months ago

While I've only spent a few months in the last half century not living with another mammal, I still recognize it as a PIA and profess that I'm going to extricate myself from such a situation. Cold blooded pets are mostly good for decoration and usually not worth the effort required to keep them healthy. I needs me some LOVE from a mammal that shares my abode, or some adorable behavior that I can pretend is loving!~)

coolmom 7 years, 9 months ago

the iguanas are cool as i take them to schools etc and try and educate people on their care and how expensive they can be and how much casual care can damage them. both are rescues and one is over 5 feet long and missing an eye but has a great personality and the other is a small male with agression issues that we have put a lot of time into. i will find another dog at the pound i just need some time and since we are in the middle of adopting a teen it should wait. it just feels wrong without a canine friend.

mom_of_three 7 years, 9 months ago

Pets I like most - horses, dogs, cats in that order.

KUindentured_servant 7 years, 9 months ago

My family has always had several pets at a time. When I was a baby and we lived in San Diego, we had an iguana that roamed the apartment catching flies (name Outfielder, of course). Then for a while, we only had cockateils. We had several of these birds, and they all had human tendencies. They would sit on your shoulder and talk to you, eat off your plate, etc. My parents have always had at least one cockateil (they have two now, which have been around for 10 years or so) with the exception of a few years after a devastating incident involving my dad, a vacuum, and the most favorite bird. Then came the first dog, a black lab/german shepherd mix, and my best friend for years. Then all of us kids got gerbils. Only one round of gerbils though, they proved hard to take care of for us kids. Then we adopted a few rogue stray cats with loads of personality, then a few more dogs that others were giving away (we got into the habit of saving animals no one else wanted), then the one rare pet that we actually bought, a chihuahua. After moving away from home, I always missed the pets and whenever I came home I either didn't want to leave them (screw the people in the family, as if) or wanted to smuggle them away.

Last year, I got my very own first pet that my live-in boyfriend and I share. We searched and searched for the right dog on petfinder.com until we finally found the perfect little pup in a shelter in Ottowa, a beagle/basset hound mix. She has taken over our lives and I wouldn't have it any other way. She has special barks for different things that she wants or needs. She insists on sleeping in the bed between us, and she even tucks herself in.

I like all pets, but I guess right now, I'm would have to say dogs!

Linda Aikins 7 years, 9 months ago

The kind that cooks and mows. And knows when I want to be scratched behind my ear...

Flap Doodle 7 years, 9 months ago

Nick, take your attempted threadjack & rotate on it.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 9 months ago

I have had dogs, cats, hamsters, and even chameleons for pets, but my very favorite are cats.

Everyone seems to think they own cats, but they don't. The cats just deign to let the people live in their house.

The only bad thing about having pets is that eventually they will die, and that is a big emotional upheaval for me. I vowed once that I would never have another pet, right after a cat died, but here I am...have another cat, and now he's 8.

I caution against getting another dog right away, Coolmom. Give yourself some time to grieve first, and don't do it until you're ready. When you are, the shelter pets are the best ones.