Previous   Next

Do spoilers ruin the story for you?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on July 19, 2007

Browse the archives

“I’d prefer not to know the ending. It takes a lot of the excitement out of reading a book or watching a movie. It doesn’t mean I won’t go or read it, it’s just not the same experience.”

“I think it does. I read a lot of reviews, but I always read them after the movie.”

“If I read it and I was getting ready to go see it, I would be pretty mad. I might not even go.”

“No. I think if you’re interested in the story, then you’re going to read it or go see the movie anyway. Most movies start out as books anyway, so there are always going to be spoilers. People will go anyway.”

Comments

Bone777 7 years, 9 months ago

After about the first 5 minutes, I forget and then get embarrassed at the end when I realize I already knew what happened and still got emotional.

jonas 7 years, 9 months ago

As long as the spoilers are of my own volition, then there's no problem. I frequently spoil the ending with books, as the alternative for me tends to either be obsessing over it, or not sleeping until the book is done, frequently both. Some yahoo screaming out that, say "Snape kills Dumbledore," errr, hope that's not a spoiler for anyone at this late hour, or the infamous "Hell, I knew all along that Vader was Luke's father!" deserve to be buried in a shallow grave.

Hannibal, you on call for the next Harry Potter book?

H_Lecter 7 years, 9 months ago

Jonas, I think that would be quite appropriate since the story takes a "darker" turn.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 9 months ago

Yes. My sis and I were behind a couple in a checkout lane discussing something that we hadn't seen yet. We just kindly told them that we still hadn't seen it and to not ruin it for us. They were happy to end their conversation. As a general rule, I really dislike spoilers. They are aptly named.

beatrice 7 years, 9 months ago

Of course! That is why I can never read the Bible. I already know how it ends.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 9 months ago

Spoilers don't bother me a bit. Even if I find out about Harry Potter ahead of time, I'll still read the book.

My wait will be a bit longer than for others, as I always wait until it comes out in paperback...:)

sgtwolverine 7 years, 9 months ago

Is this asking about books or movies?

Either way, no, not really. I mean yeah, I'll already know the ending, but if a book or movie is going to pull me in and hold my attention, it will do so whether or not I know the ending. If the beginning and middle are good enough, a book or movie can't be ruined by my knowing the ending.

sister 7 years, 9 months ago

To me, finding the gender of a baby before it is born is a spoiler. Once you know, you know forever. Same with a book or movie (unless you are the forgetful type.) Spolier = bad, Suspense = good.

sister 7 years, 9 months ago

Not at all. I'm actually a man trapped inside a woman's body.

mom_of_three 7 years, 9 months ago

When the last Harry Potter book came out, my daughter read it before me, and became very upset at one point. But I wouldn't let her tell me what happened.
On the other hand, I have read books or seen movies when I have already know the ending. And if I am discussing a movie or a book with someone, I always stop and ask before I spoil the ending, unless they want to know.

If I want to know how a book ends before I finish it, I will skip to the end and spoil it for myself.

mom_of_three 7 years, 9 months ago

BTW, I knew what my kids were before they arrived. I don't think I considered it a spoiler, but I always wondered what it would be like to be surprised when I delivered like my mom was.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 9 months ago

Hey sister I know two diffrent moms that knew the sex before hand and still got surpised in the end, darn sono's.